Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion On Aesthetic

Vostok Grauv

V
So I'll be honest and say I have no idea what I'm doing, other than reaching out in a way that might backfire. I know a majority of Chaos sticks to their guns and focuses on having the most Star Wars oriented aesthetic (this is SW, duh) even if it's adopted from another source. I've seen everything from Halo to Destiny, even Star Trek or WH40K; however, my question to Chaos is this: is it really that creatively offensive or bothersome when someone uses a specific theme/look? I understand the difference between blatant plagiarism and just using a look, but more times than not, it feels almost as if people would just prefer others NOT to delve into anything farther away from the realm of comfort, no matter the effort planned behind it to MAKE it SW friendly.

For example, would it really be frowned upon if I thought to myself that a Space Marine from 40K would make a decent looking Dark Trooper? Even if I wrote up my own reasoning for the design and utility? Again, I know this may come across to some the wrong way, but I mean no offense or actual argument. It's just something that I was thinking about and couldn't quite sit silently on.

Lemme know, Chaos!

Vostok Grauv

I think it's a-OK so long as its well-done, personally. Your avatar's pretty snazzy, but [Insert Primarch Copy] is a lot less appealing. It's all about making it fit into the Star Wars universe and not seeing like a blatant Space Marine ripoff, really.

Probably not the easiest aesthetic to make work, but it can certainly be done!

Edit: To be clear, I'm well aware that you are only planning on using the look, I was speaking more generally. I could certainly see it making a decent Dark Trooper, fits their bulky look - I personally wouldn't go as agile as Space Marines tend to be, however, give it a feeling of mass IC.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
RP is cooperative. So there will always be a "people" aspect to everything you do with it. Do people well and you can get away with anything.

And remember. Aesthetic has nothing to do with Star Wars on a Star Wars fan site. You can have the most Star Wars'y aesthetic in the world and somebody will still hate it for not being Star Wars'yWars'y enough, or George Lucas Canon enough, or 2Prequels4Me, or ReyIsAMarySue, etc.

Everybodies a critic. So you do you. Then make friends with the people who enjoy the real you. :D :p

Jsc

Disney's Princess
...lightsaber duelling a Gundam,

41f22ceb9b32b55a406b1981a6082443.gif

Oh bby :p

I agree with the sentiment largely already stated. As long as it is well done, then you have no reason to worry. Star Wars is sci fiction fantasy. With as many planets and systems and nearly infinite amount of potential, there really isn't a lot of things you couldn't pull off. Hell, I am using a lord of the rings orc as my playby for a yuuzhan vong character. The only complaints I have seen on this forum occasionally are when things clash artistically with Star Wars, as a matter of cartoon vs realism, like in the case of anime profiles or fursonas.

At the end of the day, you do you and whoever has a problem with it has their own problem. As long as it fits in with your own idea of what Star Wars is like.

Val Drutin

V
Vostok Grauv

I generally make no attempt at following the SW aesthetic (hell, I don't even really bother being aesthetic, period - have you seen my bios?), but since you clearly care about it, as you have posted this thread, I would say the same thing everyone else is saying... with one asterisk.

If you're concerned about something of yours not being Star Wars-y enough, that's probably more of a sign that you aren't happy with it rather than other writers. You're your own worst critic, but if something doesn't feel right, listen to your instincts. Look for something better if it makes you feel better.

I've seen enough pixelated movie screenshots, album covers, instantly recognizable fictional characters, questionable celebrity faceclaims, literal historical figures (like my boi Val here), and anime waifus from great writers to conclude that "aesthetic" means nothing in the end. But that's just me. :D

It's all a matter of personal taste. If you like it, then you should do it.

If you're concerned about something of yours not being Star Wars-y enough, that's probably more of a sign that you aren't happy with it rather than other writers. You're your own worst critic, but if something doesn't feel right, listen to your instincts. Look for something better if it makes you feel better.

This too.

ᴏɴᴇꜱ ᴀɴᴅ ᴢᴇʀᴏᴇꜱ
At the end of the day, you're on this board to roleplay your fantasy, with what you have in mind. The collaboration between other users and how their characters clash with yours is absolutely part of the fun, but if you have a love for something and want to express that? How am I going to shame you for that? As long as you're not hurting anybody, it's all in good fun.

As others have said, Star Wars' universe is... well, it's pretty big. You can conjure up a believable explanation to whatever it is you want possible if you set your mind to it. I also tend to suspend my disbelief sometimes when it comes to player avatars - not everybody is an artist or can afford commissions. Sometimes there simply isn't enough of the source material to make a unique character out of it. I'm in the middle of writing out a new Kindalo character, but because it's a relatively niche species in Star Wars, I'm leaning more towards having to use tree characters from other media, such as Marvel's Groot or League's Ivern, to make my character stand out. Is it initially jarring to see someone faceclaim a super recognisable character? Yep. Is it a bad thing? Nope, I don't think so. You just roll with it and get used to it.

The bottom line here is that aesthetic only matters where you want it to matter. I recently submitted the goofiest looking droid ever that's super detached from a "Star Wars-y" feel. Knock yourself out, and have fun. That's all that matters. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom