Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Old Friends, New Opportunities

Caedyn Arenais

C
rzNmn3v.png
It felt like a blessing to be walking the Enclave Halls once again. Caedyn had returned to Svivren for a temporary stay in order to meet with a couple of colleagues and Jedi within the Rimward Trade League. Once upon a time, some years back now, the Enclave of Svivren had been his home, he the Steward presiding over the care and progress of the facility as well as all living within.

Truthfully it felt like a long time ago, to hold that position of leadership and responsibility. It had been an honour and a privilege, one that he had felt most proud about, gracious that others had trusted him with such confidence. The Jedi Knight had not taken on such a role for a number of years, having eventually returned to the Order of the Silver Jedi after an early period of retirement where he had felt he needed respite. The weight of numerous conflicts, wars and the lives that had been lost as a result had weighed heavily on him during those days, but in the end, the idea of retirement had come too soon and he had decided the call to duty was not something he could ignore.

Ten years had passed since give or take, and his role and responsibilities were once more in full swing. Caedyn had taken to life once more with renewed vigour, and in a bid to practice self-care, he had made a habit to self-reflect on his actions, his ideologies and his direction of service in relation to the various different Jedi Organizations present in the Galaxy to date. Recently, he had come to the conclusion that his role as a Jedi Guardian no longer fit the direction of his path, nor his desire to better understand the Will of the Force, that which he believed to be a living conscious calling for those receptive and willing to serve.

He had decided that he wished to receive further guidance from those more experienced and wise than he was, a bid to stave off any complacency or limitation of potential. Caedyn understood full well that he had much more to learn, there was always room for growth and improvement in both himself and his ability to operate as a Jedi. His faith in the Force was steadfast, yet he sometimes questioned whether he had misinterpreted his calling. These were but a few of the reasons he wished to build upon his training, improve himself and further his knowledge.

Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun was one such Master in who Caedyn had great confidence. The man was not only a friend but a long-standing and dedicated practitioner. Someone who had always welcomed the chance to share his knowledge with others, encouraging those around him to invest themselves in the many teachings of the Force. Today Caedyn had organized to meet with him after what felt to be too long of a time since their last, and so the Jedi Knight had suggested the Enclave courtyard which was comprised of several gardens, flourishing fauna and the splendour of Svivren's natural forestry surrounding the facilities grounds.

Caedyn Arenais

Dagobah. Yumfla. Svivren. Even as an itinerant monk, Tiland was moving around an exceptional amount. But he supposed that was what responsibility meant. Ironically, not inherently different than how he had lived his life before, except now he answered to the calls of those who needed him rather than the Force.

But this time, it didn't weigh on him like the obligations and requests often did, especially the role relegated to him from the council of the Coalition. Caedyn was an old friend, and so had the man's father before that. His staff echoed along the corridors as he ambled through the corridors into the courtyard.

He inhaled deeply, letting the plant life and gardens wash away the tension from his shoulders. It was like a weight lifted from his shoulders, a refreshing dip back into the presence of the Living Force, feeling its ebbs and flows around him, so different even when compared to the Force presence in the temple.

If anything, it was subtler, more complex, and more varied. He found a bench and sat down, resting the staff against his knee, rolling his shoulders to ease some of the training stiffness out. Caedyn would find him. Of this, he was sure. But he needed to get back into his rhythms of training and practice. The stiffness shouldn't have been a problem. He wasn't that old. At least not for his species.

Caedyn Arenais

C
Finding Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun wasn't difficult. The Enclave of Svivren was much smaller than the Temple of Coruscant which Caedyn had been forced to grow accustomed to in size and number, yet here it seemed so quiet by comparison and Tiland's was a familiar presence in the Force. Caedyn smiled to himself as he spotted the old Master seated on one of the benches surrounded by the gardens' natural splendour.

"Hello there, old friend" Caedyn greeted the man with a friendly smile, soon offering Tiland a formal bow as was their custom. "It's wonderful to see you again after so long. The Enclave appears to have done well in my absence" Caedyn grinned further, turning to gaze upon their surroundings with the fondest of memories.

Taking his seat upon the bench beside Tiland, Caedyn's hands laced at the fingers in front of him, he turned his attention back to the old Master; "I appreciate your agreement to meet me here. I've been visiting a few places recently as I'm seeking to expand my understanding of the Force, hearing out other people's perspectives and placing more effort within its focus and study".

Caedyn Arenais

"Old, hmmph," Tiland said warmly, standing and resting his hand on the staff, "Please, sit. And yes, I suppose it has! Much of the Outer Rim has been thriving, where folks have been convinced to collaborate and work together rather than solely in competition or looking out for themselves. And I'm always glad to take the time to see old friends."

As Caedyn spoke, he tilted his head, listening, nodding slowly. "That is a worthy journey, although I must admit one that will never end." He quirked a smile. "Thirteen hundred years and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface."

Caedyn Arenais

C
"Thirteen hundred years..." Caedyn repeated in disbelief. He knew Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun had lived a good life, but that was beyond anything Caedyn had imagined. It was an incomprehensibly long lifetime, and Tiland would have experienced much. Likely more than Caedyn ever would in his lifetime. "I can't imagine how the Galaxy has changed in all that time. What the Jedi Order would have looked like in your early years compared to life today" he voiced his thoughts aloud, curious to know whether the Jedi had progressed in their path or descended a path of greater violence.

"Were the Jedi as active in political conflicts back then?" the Jedi Knight soon asked, looking to Tiland with a studious gaze. There was indeed a vested interest in the answers that he might receive. "I have recently been considering how active my life has been in my war-time participation, and while we as Jedi have a sense of justification, I still see how counter-intuitive it is in our ideologies and purpose of serving the Force".

Caedyn Arenais

"I wasn't raised among the Jedi," Tiland answered indirectly, "But among the Sith of the Anzati people, so my understanding of how the Jedi were involved in politics was skewed and contradictory. But as I grew up, the Jedi and the Republic were not nearly as integrated as they were by the time of the Clone Wars, shortly after I began my path towards the Jedi."

His voice was rich and slow, eyes considering as he stretched back to the memories, lifetimes ago. "When the Republic was first beginning to expand into the Outer Rim under Chancellor Lina Soh, the Jedi aided the Republic and vice versa, but they were still separate entities. Over the next century or two, control over the Jedi was centralized to Coruscant and placed firmly under the authority of the Senate, acting essentially as an auxiliary branch of the government. That, of course, led to their downfall in the Clone Wars." He paused and turned to look at Caedyn.

"You have touched on one of the great paradoxes of the Jedi way of life- peacekeepers who train as warriors, servants of the Force acting at the behest of bureaucracy." He could only shrug. "What have you discovered on your exploration of it so far?"

Caedyn Arenais

C
"When I started as a Je'daii Padawan I promised myself that I would do all I could to help people, to avoid having to take a life. Today, I carry the weight of countless lives that I have struck down during these wars, battling over dominion of the Galaxy" Caedyn answered Tiland honestly. His body language suggested transparency, his shoulders relaxed, arms resting atop his legs, crossed upon the bench. His expression however would appear conflicted and dissatisfied.

"We are meant to be keepers of the peace, and yet we are present in every major war. The Sith seek expansion and power over others, so there is some justification for our participation, and yet it still goes against the very peaceful nature that we are meant to represent and encourage upon others" Caedyn elaborated and frowned to himself. His gaze was directed at the ground yet his focus looked to his memories, his experiences and his feelings on the situation he had found himself in these past weeks.

"All that evil requires to flourish, is that good people do nothing" Caedyn spoke softly, a quote that he had picked up along the way; "And therein lies the catch. If we act, we encourage violence. Violence begets violence. Yet inaction leaves the perpetrators of oppression unchallenged to continue on in their misconduct" The Jedi Knight turned to look to Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun for his reassurance.

"I have not yet found an answer that will set my mind at ease, but I feel the Force is calling me to question these things. I can't quite explain what I'm feeling or sensing, but there is a change in my path that lies ahead of me and I feel I need to follow it".

Caedyn Arenais

Tiland leaned back in the seat, his hand resting on the top of the staff, nodding slowly as Caedyn spoke.

"Yes, that is the challenge, isn't it?" His voice was soft and his eyes partially closed in consideration before reopening them and leaning forward. "Some say Jedi are to be passive and act only as the Force wills, while others of course disagree."

His fingers tapped idly on the quarterstaff that leaned against his knee. "Yet to act only in self-defense means others will suffer from our inaction." One hand went up, like the sides of a scale, "And yet proactive violence will continue the cycle."

Both hands came out level and he shrugged in consideration. "I'm not sure there is an answer to be found, at least not a universal one. I suppose the next question might be this- what answer will guide you to actions that are in harmony with your values and beliefs?"

Caedyn Arenais

C
In the way that Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun spoke and turned the discussion back upon Caedyn, the younger Jedi gave a peculiar smile in response, one of confirmation in that he felt he was speaking with the right person and one of curiosity as he had to consider his own values. "I believe that the Force connects all life, binds us together in its ethereal will. It guides us down our path until the time when our natural cycle ends and we transcend from the corporeal Galaxy, returning to become one with the Force. This is the natural cycle, life - the beginning and the end. I have witnessed how the Force is wounded by loss of life cut short by unnatural purpose. We see this in extreme examples as a Force Nexus, where so many lives have been lost in such a small and sudden amount of time that the Force is physically felt in such strength by those who pass through the aftermath" Caedyn spoke, thinking of examples like the Enclave of Svivren for example, or what became of Exegol in the most recent incident to leave a Nexus in its wake.

"The Jedi of ancient times were taught The Jedi Code as we are today, but today the Code is looked at with such little importance that it is seen more like guidelines than a doctrine of our Order. Jedi were taught to honour and respect the Force, that all life was precious and that no life was worth more than another, that it was not our place to judge" Caedyn continued, holding the teachings of the code dear to heart for it also held great importance to his father, Veiere who had passed those teachings on to Caedyn.

"There is still a great deal that I don't know. I'm forty and I did not start out with the Jedi, I was trained by Asha Hex of the Je'daii Order and so I do not discriminate so easily against those who practice outside of the Jedi Doctrine. I know that the first followers of Bogan were exiled by the followers of Ashla in ancient times, and then attacked out of fear of what might happen as opposed to any real evidence that the followers of Bogan would harm them...", it was important for Caedyn to recite the ancient history for it helped to shape his views of the Sith today. "Those who practice the ways of Bogan today, the most extreme examples being the Sith, they have been forced to justify their ways through generations of discrimination and judgement from the Jedi; while I do not agree with their methods, this does show me the significant harm that can come from acting upon our bias rather than listening to the Force and serving it first and foremost".

"I have also spent my whole life fighting in political wars. It is not the same as serving to protect those who cannot defend themselves. I do not regret the reasons that I took part, but I do see and feel the harm that has cost me due to the lives I have been forced to take during these conflicts" Caedyn expressed, taking a moment to try to articulate his point; "I will continue to fight for those who are in need, but I won't disgrace the life and free will of another so frivolously, simply because they do not live my way. All people have the right to choose how they life, and criminal acts should be met with punishment, but the Jedi were never meant to be the ones to pass such a judgement, that is for politicians and law enforcement".

"Unfortunately, I believe I may be a very small minority among Jedi who thinks this way".

Caedyn Arenais

"Mmm," Tiland replied thoughtfully, head tilted, "But if the Force guides all living things at all times, are you suggesting that the Force is making the Sith do what they do?" His interaction with one of the current claimants for the title of Sith emperor had been short and indirect, separated by an atmosphere and connected only through their respective presences within the Force and within their minds. But what little he had gathered was that this... Empyrean felt the Force compelled him to act, or that it dictated what course it was or held the people of the galaxy enslaved. Not unlike some of the more extreme adherents of the Ashlans, from his limited experience with them and their disturbing cry of Ashla wills it.

"And when it comes to both the more advanced tenets of Jedi teaching, why do you think it seems that so few Jedi hold to it anymore?" He ran a thumb along the top of the quarterstaff, deep in thought, eyes distant as he mulled over the possibilities. "Perhaps something in how Jedi of these times are taught? Or perhaps the endless cycle of violence? Or perhaps they feel that these values are too old-fashioned? What is your assessment? I must confess to spending little time among the formalized Jedi orders of the last few decades."

Caedyn Arenais

C
"Free-Will" Caedyn answered, "And our ability to misinterpret the Will of the Force based upon our personal bias' and the way we've each been raised from childhood, influenced by our parents, families, friends or Orders" Caedyn elaborated. "The differences between individualist thinking are widely varied, and yes the atmosphere and influence of the media can also have a detrimental impact on our ability to interpret the call of the Force. I myself could be at fault for misreading it, due to my father's influence as a Jedi Consular and theorist on the subject...-But that is part of the experience, learning to grow as people and as Force Users, to make sure that we do what we can to remain open and attentive to that which we are being told".

Caedyn had indeed been a member and tutor of the New Jedi Order for some time now, based out of Coruscant. It was entirely unlike that which he had experienced on Svivren. "Coruscant is directly influenced by Galactic Politics. I believe the Jedi Council does what it believes to be in the best interests of the Jedi there, and there are many brilliant hearts and minds within the Order, but yes I have also seen the impact of militarism on the students. Not only is conflict emphasized among the young for their stories and dreams of being heroes of the Alliance, but it is expected that they will see War before they come of Knighthood. I have tried to instil caution in this, during my lessons but it isn't well received".

"I've withdrawn from teaching for the time being until I can be certain of my role within the Force and not risk the chance of misguiding the impressionable" Caedyn admitted. It didn't feel right to offer to teach the young students when he himself understand the potential that he might fail or be misguided in what he was presently seeking to accomplish.

Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun

Caedyn Arenais

Tiland's eyes twinkled with mischief as Caedyn spoke. "What would you say my bias and understanding of free will is, having been raised by an Anzati Sith assassin guild?"

Despite that, his face grew thoughtful again as Caedyn continued, his head nodding slowly. "Discerning the difference between the Force and what others want the Force to say to us. Yes, that does require a great deal, not only of wisdom and experience but a separation of the self from the environment and culture around us, which is no easy matter."

He interlaced his fingers, "I suspect your assessment of the New Jedi Order is correct. While in the early days, when Alana helped found it, it was quite separate from the political machinations. However, this Senate has given me grave misgivings about their need and desire for control. It would not surprise me if they wished to have complete control over the New Jedi Order as well."

He smiled wryly at the last comment, "Are you suggesting you're waiting until you know everything perfectly before you try to share your wisdom?"

Caedyn Arenais

C
"I am not sure that I would go so far as to call it wisdom" Caedyn Arenais chuckled in response to Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun 's words, "And do not misunderstand Master Kortun, your experience and knowledge far surpass my own, I do not mean to insinuate any lack of competence in your practice. Quite the opposite, I have sought you out for guidance as I believe you are one of the few most qualified to guide me in this matter" Caedyn grinned, knowing that Tiland had been, for lack of a better word, playing in his challenge. Still, the Jedi Knight felt the need to clarify. The thought of showing Tiland any form of disrespect was not that which he wished to entertain.

"The Senate is an ever-changing machine in the system of Galactic Politics. Under the Alliance, their direction seems to be democratic on the outside yet there is always room for greed and manipulation within politics, and it's not something that can be relied upon when it comes to the ethics of Force Users. I agree with you that they would seek to control us because they do not understand us and may never do so" Caedyn expressed on the subject of the Galactic Alliance. He did not resent the senate as his father Veiere Arenais had. Caedyn knew that the Senate was an unfortunate necessity that kept the Galaxy in check, yet when it came to the Jedi and to Force Users in general, history had shown how it was best they remain distanced from one another.

"And are you suggesting I should make my views known publically to the Jedi?" He soon asked, still feeling a little taken back by Tiland's last question. At first Caedyn thought he heard a hint of amusement in the words of Master Kortun, yet the more he considered it, he couldn't be so certain. "Knowledge such as this should be made available to everyone, provided that it is correct. As of yet, however, my concerns and views lack any solid foundation or evidence that others might be given cause to agree and listen. Without such evidence, I do not know many who would hear me out. Quite the opposite, many Jedi would see my views as an insult to their efforts, verging on betrayal to the Order itself".

Caedyn Arenais

"Perhaps, perhaps," Tiland replied wryly, "But you are indeed a Knight of the Jedi Order, regardless of the flag your order may bear. That does give you the credence to challenge your elders." His eyes twinkled. "And you are the expert on your own beliefs and values, far more than I could ever be."

But as Caedyn continued, Tiland grew more serious and his eyes half closed in consideration. "Are they democratic, though?" His tone was soft, curious, and exploratory. "Sure, there are many in the Senate, but how many do they represent? Is that truly democratic or is that a large-scale oligarchy?" He could only shrug.

"You say that they are democratic, yes? Is free speech, public debate, and criticism not critical to a healthy democracy?" He raised one finger in consideration. "What sort of evidence would you consider satisfactory?"

Caedyn Arenais

C
"Hmm" Caedyn murmured in agreement with the points that Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun made on the notion of the Senate; "Frankly, I try to avoid participating in politics where it can be. The politics of the Jedi are more familiar to me than the Senate, though there is always room for corruption within the Senate and I do not doubt it is present today" the Jedi Knight replied softly, his words lacking the enthusiasm he had previously shown when speaking on the Order. "During my childhood, my parents were leaders of Commenor and the growing Systems Alliance. Loreena and I did not see much of them, and so I guess that is something I've held onto over the years. Not to mention that mixing the Jedi with the Senate is simply asking for trouble".

To his mind, there was far too much risk of manipulation with regard to Force Users being present and participating in the Senate. The ability to sway one's mind was a common skill known to the Jedi for example, when required to avoid unnecessary confrontation. In a Senate setting, however, such an ability could affect the lives of millions for the course that such manipulation could influence the Galaxy towards.

"Were it possible, I would hope that airing my views with the High Council would allow me to work within the New Jedi Order" Caedyn spoke once more, this time on the prospect of taking his theories to the Jedi of Coruscant. He was already a part of the New Jedi Order and did not wish to be ostracized for these theories and beliefs, no matter how unlikely they might seem to some of his peers. "But if they are set in their ways then I may not find the support, let alone others willing to help me gain further insight into this line of inquiry. It is certainly worth trying for, though" he reluctantly agreed.

"What would the Rimward Jedi Coalition make of such views?" He soon asked, glancing back in Tiland's direction, "And what do you know of Seers and Farseekers. Is it possible for a Jedi of my age and experience to learn how to acquire such talent?".

Caedyn Arenais

"Can any of us truly avoid politics?" Tiland asked, lips pursed as he considered the possibility. "If the body politic is primarily how we live and act as a group, does that not mean everything we do is political and that even choosing to disengage from politics is a political act?"

He considered carefully and let his eyes rest partially closed in consideration. "I have come across some theorists who point out the idea that politics is how sociocultural power is influenced, whether intentionally or not."

Tiland opened his eyes to consider Caedyn as he spoke, listening to how he spoke of his parents. It was odd, speaking to a grown, middle-aged man whose parents Tiland remembered being young. And was there a sense of pain in how he spoke of his parents? Perhaps, perhaps not. "If you had seen them more frequently, would you have a different perspective on leadership and politics?"

The Anzati leaned back in consideration, considering Caedyn in front of him. "I can not gauge how the New Jedi Council will react-- but often, their reaction will be the great litmus test. If they are unwilling to take your concerns seriously, or dismiss you- that should tell you much of what you need to know. But in all things--" He gave a soft smile. "We cannot predict how others will react. Only by doing will we learn the outcome."

The last question, at least, he was at least more familiar with. "The Rimward Jedi Coalition would agree with you, at least in the relationship between Jedi and war. Many of them have been disenchanted either by the Crusade or the New Jedi Order. Violence is a last resort for the Rimward Jedi. As for Wayseekers and Seers... I am deeply familiar with them both. I have been among both of them in my time. What are you wondering about?"

Caedyn Arenais

C
"I have come across some theorists who point out the idea that politics is how sociocultural power is influenced, whether intentionally or not."

"Without people holding some form of political power over the Galaxy, or at the very least a small part of it, I imagine peace and cooperation would be much harder to come by. Individual worlds may hold their own government and law, but relations between worlds may differ. Not to mention the hearts and minds of those who hold said political power, and what that looks like for so many" Caedyn theorized in response to Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun speaking on the political structure and whether or not they could live without such a process; "Instead of the wars between large entities like the Alliance and the Maw, we might see many smaller battles being waged between worlds in far greater frequency" he suggested.

"The Senate is something the Galaxy needs, whether we like it or not. There needs to be someone or something that will hold other organizations and governments accountable for their actions" Caedyn voiced his agreement with the Senate and the nature of politics in the Galaxy in general. "It's where the Jedi Order and the Senate come together, that the line can become blurred without the High Council being mindful to keep the politicians in check and reminding them that we are not soldiers for hire".

If they are unwilling to take your concerns seriously, or dismiss you- that should tell you much of what you need to know. But in all things, we cannot predict how others will react. Only by doing will we learn the outcome."

"From what I've witnessed of Valery Noble Valery Noble , I believe she would want to hear my thoughts" Caedyn replied, nodding a couple of times as he spoke, affirmation of the truth to Master Kortun's encouragement; "But whether or not this is a matter that takes priority over more pressing concerns for the Council, I could not say. The Maw has been defeated but there are still lives that require support in the aftermath of their influence. I also suspect the Council will be taking great interest in the happenings of the Outer Rim Territories, with the Sith Order".

As for Wayseekers and Seers... I am deeply familiar with them both. I have been among both of them in my time. What are you wondering about?"

"I wish to deepen my connection to the Force, and if it's possible, enable myself to better receive and interpret what the Force is willing to share with me. It is possible to learn the ability to receive visions from the Force at such an age in life? To practice as Seers do?" he asked curiously, his gaze turning back upon the old Master with clear intrigue and interest.

Caedyn Arenais

"It is certainly possible," Tiland agreed, giving a slight shrug. "Though I suppose in terms of ethics, which would be preferable? Mass wars of total destruction and deaths in the millions, or more frequent, more minor skirmishes? While none is preferable, I see such an achievement being as likely as convincing Acklays to be herbivores. I am curious, are you suggesting the Alliance Senate should be the entity to hold every other organization in the galaxy accountable, despite representing only a small minority of the galaxy?"

He smiled faintly and considered, letting the silence sit comfortably for a few moments. "While I am sure they do indeed have great interest in the Outer Rim, has it perhaps occurred to the Alliance and the New Jedi Order that the Outer Rim does not have an interest in them? That perhaps they and the Senate do not have the authority to appoint themselves to authority over distant regions of space?"

That was another question that was always perplexing. Authority could only be forced through violence, and yet violence was antithetical to the Jedi way, so if they wielded authority, they needed another way to convince others to accept it.

Unless that was looking at the problem backward. Perhaps the better question was if Jedi should have authority at all. He had always suspected they shouldn't, but phrasing the question like that made him look at it more seriously.

At last, he looked up again, thoughtful. "To learn the way of the Seers and deepen the connection to the Force? Indeed, the Force does not discriminate by age. And one might even argue that advanced ages," he paused to give a small chuckle at that, "Are better suited to such things, as perhaps patience and wisdom can come with age."

He interlaced his fingers and stood, leaning on the staff. "Walk with me, if you will. Why do you wish now to hear more directly from the Force?"

Caedyn Arenais

C
"Though I suppose in terms of ethics, which would be preferable? Mass wars of total destruction and deaths in the millions, or more frequent, more minor skirmishes? While none is preferable, I see such an achievement being as likely as convincing Acklays to be herbivores. I am curious, are you suggesting the Alliance Senate should be the entity to hold every other organization in the galaxy accountable, despite representing only a small minority of the galaxy?"

"You make a very true point, speaking for the Outer Rim" Caedyn agreed, knowing well that the Galactic Alliance wouldn't serve all peoples as they wished to be served, or enforced. "The Alliance does deserve credit for its influence over the Core Worlds. Possibly the Expansive Regions. The Mid Rim and the Outer Rim Territories may be another story. One size does not fit all, after all," Caedyn chuckled quietly at the euphemism he used.

The Jedi Knight nodded, and stood at the suggestion of a walk, happily joining Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun . Whether he had a specific section of the Enclave in mind, or if they were simply walking for the sake of movement and energising the mind, Caedyn would soon answer his question honestly; "I would place my faith in the Force more than I would the way that Jedi and other groups choose to interpret it. There's far too great a risk of error and bias, whereas experiencing a vision or calling directly from the Force would be more personal. It would be up to myself to interpret that which it chooses to reveal to me" Caedyn glanced back to Tiland, curious to gauge the Master's reaction in response.

"Have you ever heard the saying that History is told by the Victor?" Caedyn would soon pose a question of his own, albeit rhetorically. "Every Order of Jedi has been governed by a body of leadership, just as the Senate does the Core Worlds; But regardless of who it is, we are always at risk of error. Whether the Jedi are misled, or what the Force Wills for our future. How we practice our duty, and what is meant for us as a people...-I would hear it all from the Force, if I were to be so lucky. We can't always rely on the bias of other people, and the Will of the Force should always be at the forefront of our lives if we are to serve it appropriately".

Caedyn Arenais

"That is very true," Tiland agreed, "And it, I fear, was one of the great mistakes of the original Galactic Republic. A government based on Coruscant will have a certain bias, as you say, and they will not be able to effectively or ethically govern other cultures and systems."

He let himself wander slowly through the enclave gardens, not picking any direction intentionally but letting the shapes and movements of the plants and the others in the enclave as they passed them dictate where he went.

It was, in a way, part of the lesson. Subtle, indirect, and visible to those who paid close attention. There was a metaphor and an analogy there.

"If you are less inclined to trust the biases and interpretations of other Jedi, how can you know you can trust your own? And if the interpretation is up to you, is that still following the will of the Force or interpreting it as we want?"

Tiland paused for a moment. "And undoubtedly wise insights concerning the flaws of leadership and risk of being misled, but to hear everything the Force says?"

His mustache twitched in amusement. "Are you suggesting to want to achieve Oneness as a permanent state?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom