Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OLD Factory Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a question about anything pertaining to the factory, such as locations/rarity of materials, functions of mechanics, you may place your query here.

A factory judge or member of the administration in charge of the factory will get back to you with an appropriate response as soon as possible.

Flannigan Mcnash said:
If I wanted to edit an already accepted post, would I have to post a new one, say if I wanted to edit or extend their numbers, changing nothing else.
If you wish to have a submission modified (such as changing production or affiliation) you needn't submit a new submission. The Submission Modification Thread located in each section of the factory (Technology, Vehicle, Starship, Company) is made available with a template for writers to modify their submissions. Any extensive modifications, such as changing the majority of a submission, are welcomed to be resubmitted to the factory as an updated material (make sure to cite the original submission with the Primary Source portion of the template).

For the restriction on the AI, it requires a thesis to be written along with IC notes from a character.

What type of thesis is this rule saying, PhD level thesis papers? Is there an example that I could look over?

Corruck Kazen said:
For the restriction on the AI, it requires a thesis to be written along with IC notes from a character.

What type of thesis is this rule saying, PhD level thesis papers? Is there an example that I could look over?
Your thesis does not need to be a college-level paper on the basics and nuances of artificial intelligence (though that would be welcomed, too!) it simply needs to portray an accurate description of the intent behind the AI, how it works, and so on. Here is an excellent example for an approved Artificial Intelligence submission.

Thanks! Reading that has certain made it easier... (I was reading up on how to accomplish a full fledged thesis, was wondering why anyone would spend so much time working on something like that for even something like this :lol: )

[member="Silara Kuhn"]

Jak Skirata

J
What do armor ratings actually mean?

I've been doing a lot of research on canon armors like stormtrooper, clone, and even Old Republic armors. All of them were designed to take blaster bolts and keep its occupant alive. Apparently what we've been seeing in all the movies and whatnot are clones and stormtroopers being knocked unconscious from the shock and force of the blast, not them getting burned through and dying (in most cases). And slugthrowers? Not unless you're hitting a joint or the face plate are you harming anyone with a set of military grade armor.

So if standard military armor keeps its host alive even under fire from blaster bolts, do we really need a seemingly arbitrary number system? Can't we just say Yes or no to blaster and lightsaber?

Davin Skirata said:
What do armor ratings actually mean?

I've been doing a lot of research on canon armors like stormtrooper, clone, and even Old Republic armors. All of them were designed to take blaster bolts and keep its occupant alive. Apparently what we've been seeing in all the movies and whatnot are clones and stormtroopers being knocked unconscious from the shock and force of the blast, not them getting burned through and dying (in most cases). And slugthrowers? Not unless you're hitting a joint or the face plate are you harming anyone with a set of military grade armor.

So if standard military armor keeps its host alive even under fire from blaster bolts, do we really need a seemingly arbitrary number system? Can't we just say Yes or no to blaster and lightsaber?
An armor rating of 1 is like wearing plain clothing, it will be torn through by a blaster bolt or lightsaber without any resistance, whereas a quality of 10 is like a suit of beskar that is all but immune to being struck by blasters and such. Stormtrooper armor is generally around a quality of 5, as it is not resistant to a lightsaber, can still be burned through with a powerful blaster weapon, and pierced by a slugthrower, but the reason why stormtroopers in canon were able to get blasted and not immediately be killed or heavily wounded is that they had a special coating that dissipated blaster bolts of standard power.

Nearly all armor is easily penetrated or damaged by slugthrowers due to their lack of use throughout history - the ammunition required is more scarce than normal blaster components and they have a much more limited range and are slower in terms of velocity of the slug used in most cases. Canon armor has shown (and states such in their wookiepedia article) that as weapons fall out of practice that they become more effective because of their lack of use due to the lack of competing technology for something most people do not see.

Standard armor, which is class 3-6, will not normally keep someone alive after sustained blaster fire as they are not immune to blasters unless they are made with a material with properties that specifically resist energy based weapons, such as phrik. You can go further in-depth with your ratings and write out its quality against each type of weapon, such as:

Piercing: 3
Blaster: 5
Lightsaber: 2

99% of armor is not highly resistant to lightsabers as the only armors that can withstand them are made from materials specifically resistant to them due to the fact that there are hardly any materials capable of not being burned through immediately by a lightsaber that are also capable of being used as armor. Durasteel, for example, might save your arm from a glancing blow from a lightsaber, but a direct blow from one will cut through it like butter.

Ratings are there to let both the writer who is utilizing the armor and the opposing writer involved in combat know how they should play out their defenses, simply a yes or no is too black and white.

So I've been reading about how some types of plasma during the superheated state can be not only magnetic but also how some can be highly repulsed by a magnetic field.

So my question is if the material itself is not lightsaber resistant and only a repulsive field would a submission require a dev thread? If so how long would you estimate would one need?

Break said:
been reading about how some types of plasma during the superheated state can be not only magnetic but also how some can be highly repulsed by a magnetic field.
Plasma is heavily ionized gases at high temperatures, meaning that are effected by electromagnetic interference (hence why the field which contains the lightsaber is an electromagnetic one). Magnets themselves do not effect plasma unless the atoms that make up the plasma are magnetic metals. (Plasma is a state of matter, meaning any element may become plasma).

Break said:
So my question is if the material itself is not lightsaber resistant and only a repulsive field would a submission require a dev thread? If so how long would you estimate would one need?
A personal shield acts the same way as this, so in reality I would suggest utilizing such. If you're intent on making something new, I would say it depends on the application, size, and so on. The minimum for requested development threads is 10, so always start there.

Quick question.

Why is the standard line on approvals these days, "abuse and suffer." Or my favorite, "this will be pulled if abused." Doesn't it seem redundant and in bad form to say that when the factory is simply a place to codify hard work and ideas? Wouldn't the standard approved, or approved pending secondary be okay?

All factory judges do is see if the submission meets standards and is okay, any sub can be abused. If that happens just let the RPJ's handle it instead of making the factory look so negative.

Up to you guys, just an observation on something that seems silly and overused.

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
[member="Death's Hand"]

This has been a trend lately mostly because...well there was a small trend of factory subs having problems. If you notice on a lot of my approvals I also just stamp "This is fine." Or something similar.

It's only when I see something that has the potential to be gamebreaking that I say that. It's not a direct policy nor is it a standard.

I have a question on the specifics of this prosthetic: Repulse Hand. It uses supposedly miniature repulsor generators capable of pushing away melee weapons and rending flesh apart in close range, but I was wondering what effect this would have, if at all, on a lightsaber?

If it's strong enough to move things around repulsively to the point where it can harm flesh, would it be able to like... I dunno, disrupt the plasma of a lightsaber within its magnetic field?

Essentially I'm just asking if the lightsaber is treated as a melee weapon that can be influenced by the repulsor generators.

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
[member="Triam Akovin"]

I would say...no it wouldn't tear apart the energy field. More likely it would just cause the lightsaber to "bounce" away, like a physical sword. The effects aren't stated, and we can really only guess so its best to go on the simpler side of things.

Does that make sense?

Where would one get one of these repulse hands? I've always been a little confused on getting tech like this by just making it appear. And do you think one could just implant one into a shield?

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
[member="Break"]

Implanting it in a shield would likely take a dev thread due to adapting such a thing to a new housing and system.

As for actually getting it, With old canon technology it is generally accepted that the designs are public knowledge, thus most companies and people could readily acquire it without much effort.

I have a question about disruptor fields like the "fairly" recent addition to iBorg, the Aurek Gatebreak Field Disruption Node, in how they interface with lightsabers, if at all. It's my understanding that these things create a field that syncs with the energy signature of a standard shield and disrupts it with fluctuations of energy or something.

Does this interface at all with magnetic shielding? If I had this active, could I pass my hand through a lightsaber's magnetic field no problem (though I'd have to deal with the plasma inside of course)?

Could it conceivably be modified to specifically interface with lightsaber magnetic shielding if this is not the case?

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
[member="Triam Akovin"]

I'm going to go ahead and say No to the first, and yes to the second.

With enough development I don't see the technology being impossible to construct(I'm a big fan of big ideas with enough development), and i assume since its not already mentioned the effect does currently not exist. So basically, if you want to do this you have to work for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom