Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Supreme Chancellor Election Briefing

(This is before the Senate got blown to bits. Jus sayin)

Halen stands in his pod in the center of where the Republic's fate would be decided, in the Senate. Looking around the room, his gaze turned to every single Senator in the hall. Yes, he had called every single one of them here. Today was the day, it had been weeks since Aleidis Ijet had resigned from her post as the Supreme Chancellor, leaving Halen as the acting Chancellor. He had been asked a million times to postpone, postpone, postpone, and he did so while he kept the Republic from plunging into war. Now Halen's mission was complete. He had run for office for one reason, and that was to bring peace to the Republic. And he had accomplished that. Despite sacrifices to his own pride and reputation, Halen had succeeded in his mission and he didn't regret an inch of it. Now... It was election time.

"You know why I've called you all here" he said. "For quite awhile now, we have been without a real Supreme Chancellor. While I have taken the mantle, it's time that things be set to right once again. I remained in office to secure peace for the Republic, and now that I've accomplished that... Despite what some of you think of me for the sacrifices I made to prevent war from breaking out... And trust me, I know who you are... I don't regret doing so, and I would do it again in a heartbeat to save the Republic"

"Now onto present matters. Some new rules will be in place for the election this year. They will be addressed via a Holomessage when we're finished here. Before you run for either Supreme Chancellor OR the Vice Chancellor... Remember the responsibilities that come with it. This isn't some power seat. This is putting the entire REPUBLIC in your hands. This isn't easy, it's not FUN... It is a hell of a lot of work, and even while doing the job temporarily this was quite frankly the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life, folks. If you take this office, and you muck it up.... I will find you... And I will kill you"

Halen smiled at the slight movie reference, his expression showing he was... At least HALF joking. Or maybe he wasn't. Perhaps he would murder the poor sap who dare crossed the Republic while in it's seat of power. But regardless...

"Once my briefing is over, you are free to review the rules, and then you may announce your intentions to run here. After that, you may do your speeches, spew your OH SO NECESSARY propaganda... And then a Ballot Box will be set up"

"Now that the formalities are underway..." he said, straightening himself.

"Since the future of the Republic has been taken care of... I have come here to announce that I am officially stepping down as the Acting Supreme Chancellor Of The Republic, as well as the Vice Chancellor Of The Republic Senate. I will also be leaving the Senate in it's entirety" he announced. "Regardless of how you feel about me, regardless of the hell that this place has put me through while I have had nothing but love for it... It has been an honor serving the Republic in the positions I have been in. This has been 16 long years of my life, and I'm not keen to see it end. But it's time for me to take a new journey"

"But before I go...." he trailed off. A smirk crossed his face. Suddenly, any Force Sensitives in the room, especially "Closet" ones that had trained in it and could sense others... Could sense the massive Force Sensitivity emanating from Philip Halen. It was obvious that he was a trained force sensitive, and had somehow been able to hide it incredibly well, from everyone for 16 years. How he managed to do it? Nobody knows.

He looked around at the Senators. ".... The dark side emanates heavily from one of you. They have masked it greatly... And although I cannot identify the real identity of them... Someone here is not who they say they are. There is a Sith among you"

"That... Is my final gift to you. Make your choice of Chancellor wisely, Senate"

With that, he suddenly stared a hole through both @[member="Jentara Vel"] and @[member="Yusan Fenn"], with a serious look on his face... And then he smirked. Everyone in the Senate could see who Halen was looking at.... But he didn't disclose who was the Sith. It was as if Halen's final gift to the Senate was alerting them to the danger, and giving hints... But because of the controversy around him, his matter of "paying them back" was not disclosing who exactly it was, hints aside. He would leave figuring that out to the Senate, since they were apparently so wise... So good at running the Republic as opposed to him. The so called "Fool" suddenly became the man with all of the cards... And he was resigning with them still in his hand.

And with that cryptic warning... Halen walked out of the building, never to be seen again as a member of the Senate.

@[member="Alena Beswin"]
@[member="Jentara Vel"]
@[member="Yusan Fenn"]
@[member="Jack Sparrow"]
@[member="Silas Opri"]
@[member="Chi Chuchi"]
@[member="Jack Harkness"]

@[member="Kiyala Demont"]
@[member="Hanna Vondiranach"]
@[member="Hion the Herglic"]
@[member="Ned Rostu"]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey y'all! Faction admin here! Damn that was different, but hey! It's election time! You guys know the drill, BUT.... The rules are a little different this election to get rid of the kinks in the system from last time! In this thread, after IC reactions to the above... You may announce your entry into the race, make your speeches and do whatever the hell you need to do... After that, a new thread will be made where the entrants will be officially posted, and then a Ballot Box will be made for the official votes. But before we get that done, here are the NEW rules this election!

1: Running speeches MUST be at least 300 words. No more laziness like last election. If you can't be assed to put in a real effort to convince us you deserve office, then don't run.
2: For the first time, there will be TWO separate elections. One for Supreme Chancellor, one for Vice Chancellor. You may only run for one at any given time, but you can vote once per position.
3: Voting for yourself is no longer allowed, and doing so will DISQUALIFY you from the race.
4: If you vote for yourself using an alt, you will be DISQUALIFIED from the race and future races.
5: Alt votes will not be counted. One vote per writer.
6: You must be an ACTIVE member of the Senate in order to run for either position. No new accounts being made just for running. No random Senators coming out of obscurity just to run. You have to be an active member of the Senate who has made a contribution in order to run.

And with that, good luck to you all! Feel free to PM my faction admin account, @[member="Joshua DragonsFlame"] if you have questions!

Yusan smiled as he heard the former chancellor's acquisition towards him being a Sith. He didn't bother hiding his sensitivity, but he did lower it enough to appear as untrained and innate as possible to the force before anyone else could reach out and touch Yusan's mind. He stepped forward after a moment and spoke as loudly as he could, making sure he was clear in his words. "I speak on behalf of everyone when we i say thank you for your time here Former Chancellor, i look forward to speaking with you in the future should the chance arrive to converse without the limitations that had possibly stopped that in the past. And as for this news about a Sith, i can assure you i am both intrigued and annoyed that one had even gained the chance to infiltrate us, and i promise that i will aid in the search for the Sith." He was careful not to say anything that would send suspicion his way, not that it mattered. He was trained in the light side and that is what he had used all his life, a Jedi would know that he was no Sith. @[member="Philip J. Halen"] @[member="Daella Apparine"]

Jentara crossed her arms, a smile on her face as @[member="Philip J. Halen"] went on his spiel. When she was looked at and called out on being a Force user, specifically a Sith, she merely tossed that aside, giving a slow clap. "Oh Philip, you did a wonderful job figuring it out. I'm certain that this isn't an attempt to shake up the people you dislike in the Senate as a final form of retaliation. I'm positive you'd never do something like that. Come on, fellow senators. The degree of fearmongering he's attempting to create must be reduced significantly. If there's a Sith - and that's a big if - I'll be sure to have Onderon's finest on the case."

Returning to her position, her microphone deactivated, she smiled. "Oh he is good... Stir the pot as you leave."

Jack Sheltrak

Senator of Zeltros, Former Supreme Chancellor
Harkness listened and raised an eyebrow looking to @[member="Jentara Vel"] and @[member="Yusan Fenn"] while he just observed them. If one was a sith well then it was bad but... On the other hand what better way to screw with everyone before you leave. A small thought came to him as he mused to himself. What can one sith in the senate do? Better yet what can the thought of one sith in the senate do? It was something you did to screw with people to make sure your exit was wonderfully pathetically vague. His voice came out taking the two in but also the man.

"So this secret knowledge is it the same as how you accused another senator of wanting power when she was doing her job? Or do you actually have something your holding back because you love the Republic so much? For someone who claims he does everything for this government, for someone who claims he loves this Republic. Holding that back seems more something a petulant child would do because his playmates wouldn't listen. Next your going to take you're toys and stomp off home."

The captain remained very still giving a bow of his head while he breathed deeply. He hoped honestly that the previous vice chancellor would join them and run again. If anything at least she did have the experience to do it. "Now fellow senators lets do as needed, fear mongering and wanting to cause infighting will do nothing for us but stall the Republic and keep us from actually making progress in anything."

Alena listened to the Chancellor talking about the upcoming election. Well that sounded fun. She also quietly observed the 'warning' given out by the Chancellor. Great way to exit, she thought. That must've been the most dramatic thing that the Interim Chancellor must've said during his entire stay in the Senate.

She could care less whether or not there was a Sith present in the Senate. It wasn't like as if they were making much progress without one, so what exactly would be the difference? Sith in the Senate or not, the Senate needed to make progress.

There was much she could say, all of them quite negative, about the retiring Chancellor @[member="Philip J. Halen"]. But any man who had been the head of such a big democracy deserved to have at least a minimum amount of respect given. "We thank you for your services to the Republic, chancellor." said the Kuati senator simply.

Kiyala however was purely jovial on her side of the Senate. Not only were two other force sensitives, but at this point her identity was still safe. When a young woman or man passed through the now mandatory miltary academy on Alderaan they were presented with a ring that were meant to match their personality and recognize their ranking with in the Miltary.

It was this ring in fact that obscured Kiyala's sensitivity woven by a Sith Spell. She felt as if she didn't have the time to be actively working to cloak herself and her mind. When one would touch her mind they would feel an overwhelming sense of entitlement and confidence. These were the two emotions she allowed to flourish, she sat in her podium with her legs crossed as lady would.

Her aid to the left would then lean in to whisper in her ear. She asked her discreetly whether she felt like simply leaving in case of safety. Kiyala really didn't feel as if her own knowledge was in danger but as one who would want preach caution first. She told her personal representative to move along with their agenda as planned. She made no attempt to enter @[member="Yusan Fenn"] mind but merely allowed a picture of their usual meeting place to wash over his perceptions. If he allowed it then he'd know she was requesting a meeting with him once more after his business here was finished.

But she paused for a moment before saying to the audience. "You know knowledge is power, and even though our former Chancellor may not want to reveal everything at least he intended to at least help us weed out those who we may no longer be able to hold our trust in." She didn't leave anytime for rebuttal as her representative would know exactly how to respond in case of one.

With her two cents added, she would then usher herself out of the Senate. . . .

"Senator demont is right. right now we have two important issues to discuss. And neither of those two issues include the actions or words that have been spoken by our former chancellor. The first issue is now the imminent election that must done efficiently and quickly, as this is a moment of weakness for us without one. Then comes the search for the infiltrator within our ranks. With that said i will announce now that i will be running for Supreme Chancellor and hope to one day make things better should the position find its way to me." Yusan remained standing giving a lengthy speech to accompany the announcement, both stalling other Senators from berating the former chancellor and letting himself be clear in why he was running and what he was running for.

Yusan cleared his throat, taking a drink of water before looking straight forward and breathing in. "Senators, People of the many systems that reside in Republic Space, and those of you who are watching this speech. I am Yusan Fenn, born as nothing more than the child of an Echani warrior i stand here as a Senator and hopefully in the future your supreme chancellor. I run for one simple reason, and that is the fact that i am disappointed in the recent happenings that have occurred and want to have a chance to change things."

He paused and let his voice hang in the air for a moment, his expression a mixture of sincerity, worry, and seriousness. "The Shepard City Ship, though it was a weapon of great power and a symbol of the things that we could accomplish, it was given away to the Confederacy of Independent States. Yes, it secured peace, and yes it possibly saved millions, but think this was not the problems. Every time we are bullied with war, will we just pay the aggressors off, just give them a fleet next time. The problem isnt that the ship was given to the Confederacy of Independent Systems, it is that it was given to them quickly without any input from the rest of the senate. Yes the former interrim chancellor POSSIBLY saved millions, but there were other ways we could have prevented war instead of giving away a symbol of the strength and marvel that the Republic could accomplish when united.

Now, with the topic of foreign relations brought up this poses another question for you all that are watching. I come from a world on the edge of republic space, and i dont want to see my world torn asunder by the mechanisms of war. With that, i plan to fight for galactic peace, not between just the republic and other Factions. What i mean is that say war breaks out between the Mandolorians and the Sith Empire, yes this does not effect us, but the innocents on the planets devastated by war need a voice and i want to be that voice." He stopped and looked over everything infront of him, thinking for another moment before speaking again, his tone completely calm and serious now.

"Next is the matter of Jedi, or former Jedi, in the Senate. The Jedi are knights of the republic, they should not hold the power of office as it sways the favor of orders in their favor. As such, the Republic embarrassed itself and almost started a war over the loss of Artifacts and Relics. Do you all want a war started over Relics of the past, the lives of billions lost because of an artifact? My point is, our former Supreme Chancellor's ties to the jedi created a political disaster for us, and now her successor must repair the damage. I do not, no i will not let it happen again, whether i'm elected at all or not, i will not let our beautiful republic be destroyed by the actions of a Jedi or Former Jedi." He slammed his hand down on the podium in front of him to illustrate his words, his tone worried, strong, authoritative, and certain. Though he immediately straightened up and looked forward again, calm and serious.

"Let me take a break for a moment to say this i come from a border planet, with no representation here until i was elected, i rose from the common people without someone to help me. I hold no companies in my name nor do i buy stock in any of the companies that many current Senators do. And as such i am not influenced like others are, i cannot buy your votes, i cannot sway you with promises that i can protect you all with a guarantee that my company will be solely for the republic. I am not rich, i am not corrupt, and i am not driven by money like many Politicians are. As such i can distance myself from them and do what is best for the Republic and its people, and i won't let the greed of those company owners destroy the Republic, to destroy your home. My Home. As such that is why i run today." His expression grew soft as he changed gears, letting a moment of vulnerability over take him.

“Now to bring up funding, honestly, i would keep the funding plans now except move some the necessary budgets that have corrupted our republic to help those in republic space. How many worlds were devastated over the past century because of war, pirates, virus, and natural disaster. Our republic has spent trillions on making weapons of war and not improving the world that our citizens live in. We are not the Sith Empire, we are not warmongers that are spreading to create an empire. Long ago this republic did not go from planet to planet, conquering and taking control of said planets for resources and other influence. We were content and if systems wanted to join us we accepted them in open arms and helped improve the condition of their people.

The Arms races and creation of massive weapons like the Shepard are mistakes, ones that i will not see remade. I will push for billions of credits to be spent improving the condition of planets torn apart in war or civilizations destroyed or lost by the greed of pirates, slavers or warlords. I will purpose money into medical research to find more effective ways of curing diseases and saving those who are scarred forever by the evils that plague this galaxy.” He breathed in once more, raising himself to his full height and letting a genuine smile stretch across his face as he stared forward, his face calm, his tone soft.

“Thank you all for your time, i hope to one day make a difference for all of you, with that i leave one message. I will not slander my opponents, i will not lie to you, and i will only keep the secrets from the public that will harm it. I will leave no stone unturned in my quest to stamp out corruption and greed, and i will bring peace to you all if i can. I will not promise though that i can solve your problems, i cannot promise that war will not come. But if it does, i will gladly work day and night to stop it if i can, as it is not just your lives that are at stake, but also that of my own people. They are a border world as i said before and if the Republic fails my people will be right in the forefront of the disaster, which i will not let that happen to them or any of you.” With that he stepped back, gave a slight bow and left.

(Feel free to read my speech, i threw it in a spoiler so that people did not have to scroll through it every time they looked at the thread. I do hope you all read it once though and judge my char accordingly)
@[member="Kiyala Demont"] @[member="Alena Beswin"] @[member="Jack Harkness"] @[member="Jentara Vel"]

Jack Sheltrak

Senator of Zeltros, Former Supreme Chancellor
Harkness looked at the others as he gave a nod of his head and listened. It brought a few questions and he cringed at the mention of the Shepard being a warship. His face shaking because if anything... Now it was a war ship. A flying temple the jedi had built for humanitarian aid and supplies being besmirched or at least misrepresented. The sign of the Republics prerogative but still to him it was no matter. With a deep breathed after Senator Fenn finished he prepared to speak.

"My fellow senators, I am known to a few of you as an old Captain in the Republic now the senator from my newest home Zeltros. I make no promises of grandeur, I come from humble beginnings and I do hope that gives me a different perspective. The issue with the Shepard city ship has been discussed at length, but it was more then that. It wasn't a warship, it was from day one always built for humanitarian aid. Built as a school, a temple and something that saved lives. It was a symbol that this Republic had more on their mind then simply wanting war, the lives possibly saved by giving it away became meaningless if it is now under the Confederacy turned into a warship and a standard has been set a standard for what happens if you puff your chest towards us."

He needed to get away from that it was something that could hold back their progress if they continued to dwell upon the past it would only keep them like this. Endlessly blaming and debating among themselves about all the past actions did little to help. His stomach left a little weighted from the situation while he continued to speak and looked around.

"Moving away from that though towards the future, relying on the past will solve nothing for us. It will only serve to keep us here, in endless repetitive debate while our people flounder. Our previous actions nearly led us to war when our former supreme chancellor let her former ties lead us to a situation, bring an incident. The jedi have been protectors of the Republic, they have served for thousands of generations. That service cannot be forgotten, cannot be denied but loopholes are what got us in trouble. Their codes says they cannot be jedi and serve so they can leave the order to take positions in government, this is something we must work to ensure cannot be exploited in the future. The issue of age is a factor as well, in the last election we all stood here and were enamored by tales of experience and wisdom from a child."

His hand didn't slam to emphasize his point but he did want to make it stand they had been enamored or at least some by a child claiming wisdom, experience. In all other situations such a thing would have been disregarded like the kid in school who says his shoes tastes funny. It was something they had done and now dealt with, it would have to move them forward.

"The funding of the war effort is something we need. As much as I want peace, as much as it pains me to say the galaxy is a dangerous place we need a standing and strong military if not to take worlds then to defend them. Yes reduce spending, work on relations with the other people of the galaxy. We are not the Empire we do not crush others under our heels, send jackbooted troopers into their homes. No we will work on relations with the people of worlds not in the Republic. To help ones devastated by war and disasters both natural and man made from those who seek to merely conquer."

Harkness gave a deep breath and lingered for a moment.

"So in closing and with a smile. I hope to have your vote for supreme chancellor. I love this Republic, I love her people and we can come back, we can become the symbol for freedom and right in this galaxy of so much wrong."

Jack watched his fellow Senators patiently, listening intently to some speeches, allowing his mind to wander during others if he found them too verbose, uninteresting, or difficult to look at for an extended period of time. Truth be told, until this moment he had given no thought at all to higher office; he had barely given any thought to the office he currently held. So no one was more surprised than him when his mouth opened and the following words fell out:

"Thank you @Philip J. Halenhttp://starwarsrp.net/user/2135-philip-j-halen/, for your brief but meaningful time as Acting Chancellor. My fellow Senators, I stand before you, beneath you, and in some cases above you, to offer my services to this fine Republic, and to mostly confirm that I am not in any way, shape, form, or thought, a Sith Lord, because honestly, all those supernatural types give me tremors." He shuddered, then continued. "I will grant you that I have not been a member of this Senate for long, but in my short tenure I have listened and learned. I have also ignored and rebutted. So too have I argued and pondered." He paused to scratch his nose for a moment. "Where was I? Right, thank you. So it is with utmost respect that I reiterate my decision to stand before you as a candidate for Supreme Chancellor. 'But Jack,' you say to yourself when you should be saying it out loud to me, 'what are your qualifications?' A fair point, and one I had no intention of revealing. But since you asked, hypothetically, let me say that I have travelled the length and breadth of this galaxy. I have trucked with the hoiest of the palloi and the riffest of the raff. I have stolen, plundered, lied, cheated and whored, and I have received letters of marque and reprisal from planetary governors and Moffs alike. In short, ladies and gentlemen and others, I am a man, most assuredly, of the people. And who better, I ask you, to represent them?"

Realizing he was still 44 words short of the minimum required to make his entry official, the pirate captain spread his arms and added, "And in conclusion, I promise that if you elect me Supreme Chancellor, I will act. Not in the best interests of one, nor in the best interests of some, but in the best interests of all, because that's where the real coin is, savvy?"

With a smile, Jack placed his palms together in front of his chest and gave a small bow in acknowledgement of their attention.

"Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to lay out a situation for you. The Republic, peaceful and docile. A peace-keeping military force stopping pirates, vagrants, or other miscreants from the galaxy's gutters causing havoc amongst the spacelanes. Then the Sith attack. Or the Mandalorians. Or generally any other hostile force. The Republic takes significant losses, both of lives and of personnel, before eventually adapting and evolving to defeat whatever threat dares to assail it. The galaxy is on the brink of war once again, and like before, stagnation seems to have crippled our military. I refuse to let this cycle continue. The loss of more lives due to inadequate defenses is simply unacceptable, especially with all we've lost over the Dark Harvest, the Clockwork Rebellion, and the hundreds of years of Gulag-based death and destruction.

"But no more. As Chancellor, I will put a significant amount of effort into the modernization of our military forces. The economy will experience growth unlike ever before. Jobs for millions of unemployed persons will be made in the defense industry. Mining and resource acquisition will become more efficient than ever before. A new renaissance of advancement will come upon us, turning the gears of progress once again.

The Republic will expand its territorial regaining as well, acquiring more worlds and assisting them with technological development and humanitarian aid. Every planet that enters our fold will receive the fullest of support from us. We are a benevolent government and have no right nor reason to utilize military force against planets who have not rebelled, attacked, or otherwise attempted to harm or damage the united government we have forged here. My name is Jentara Vel. I am Senator of Onderon, and I desire to become the Supreme Chancellor of the Galactic Republic, for the betterment of us all."

And with that, she returned to her own place.

@[member="Philip J. Halen"] @[member="Yusan Fenn"] @[member="Jack Harkness"] @[member="Jentara Vel"] @[member="Kiyala Demont"]

Lovely. It appeared as though almost a good majority of the Senate seemed to want to become the next Supreme Chancellor. It was obvious that if people weren't so ambitious, the Republic would have a whole lot less problems to deal with. Alena listened to the speeches, while tapping away on her holopad.

After every speech, Senator Beswin would slowly clap, in a fashion that some senators could percieve as being in a rather mocking way. There really was no need to listen to all those fething speeches. They were quite almost indistinguishable from one to the next. Better future this, as chancellor I will do blah blah blah blah blah.

There was one candidate that Alena found that she would be voting for, that being the new senator from Kashyyk, Senator @[member="Jack Sparrow"]. Yes, the man looked as though more like a thief than a politician, but hey, from what she had read, all politicians were suppsedly crooks one way or another. "And in conclusion, I promise that if you elect me Supreme Chancellor, I will act. Not in the best interests of one, nor in the best interests of some, but in the best interests of all, because that's where the real coin is, savvy?" Savvy enough, she decided. Besides, it wasn't like as if the man would become any worse than the others, right?

Hanna got up and went to speak. She was going to run again. " Ladies and Gentleman, I have grown up in politics. I have been your vice Chancellor for two terms and am now a senator of Hapes. I have a history of serving the republic. I even have a past as Interim Chancellor. If elected as your Chancellor, I will resume the efforts I started as your Interim Chancellor. I will resume working to make the the Republic and our former friends, our allies once more. In times like these we need allies more than any other time. We also need to recognize that while the Jedi they don't have a place in our government, they have a place in our Republic. So I wish to establish strict rules concerning their eligibility over command positions. We will ensure that we do not repeat past actions. This however does not mean we should not impliment them. They are clearly some of the best fighters in the galaxy and it would be foolish to not take advantage of that fact. We must however realize that they can never be in politics or command or else we are doomed to repeat past failures.

We need to work on funding, with our allies drying up so has our chance for trade in the galaxy. I promise to work with corporations and other factions who hopefully will agree to be our comrads again to strengthen our economic ties with them. I will also work to ensure that we aid worlds devastated by conflict. We will work to provide food and other important aid during these trying times. We need to prove we are still a strength. I can't do it alone, I need all of you, to do this. The republic is bigger than one person, and I can hope and plan all I want but the fact is, I can't do this without you. So I call on you to work with me and vote for me. We have to do this together. Together we can make the republic strong again. So vote for me and vote for the republic. Because while I might be one woman, with you by my side, we can do anything."

Hanna looked around and wondered what the others thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom