Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech NZ OS-HD1 Hyperdrive System

Status
Not open for further replies.

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To create a hyperdrive to either be used by N&Z Umbrella Corporation and affiliates, but also for sale to other prspecting shipbuilders
  • Image Source: [X]
  • Canon Link: [X] [X]
  • Permissions: N/A
  • Primary Source: N/A
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Near indestructible: Thanks to the combination of a dual deflector shield, an electrically charged Infinium 1458 core casing and the titanium, chromium internals, this hyperdrive has a very long working life, is capable of withstanding several hits of heavy weaponry and is virtually impenetrable by slicers due to the bleeding edge technology.
  • internal and external deflector shielding: Rather than having just one shield inside the hyperdrive to secure the integrity of the internal components in order to endure the stress pose upon those by spacial distortions created by entering hyperspace, this hyperdrive also boasts an extrenal deflector shield for an extra level of safety and security .
  • Shimmering: Thanks to the integration with the Repulsor Ion Arc Reactor which is known for it's insane levels of energy output, this hyperdrive is capable of "shimmering" , meaning it can remain in the same space while entering and exiting hyperspace. This allows for rather impressive emergency reactions, though using this more than a couple of times would literally rip the entire ship apart in both realspace and hyperspace, with cataclysmic results. Microjumps are also possible, but follow the same principle of not being used too many times in succession due to the stress it puts on both the reactor and the hyperdrive.
STRENGTHS
  • Shimmering: Thanks to the insane levels of energy the coupled RIAR can generate, this hyperdrive is capable of displacing a ship in its entirity into hyperspace for a few moments and back to realspace without actually changing its original starting point, allowing for a whole new stream of tactical and strategic maneuvers.
  • Microjump: To keep up with the best and the brightest, this hyperdrive allows for short distance jumps, though due to the somewhat extreme output of energy and slightly deficient way of handling it, these microjumps span at the very least the distance between two planets in a single solar system and not like some competitors the distance comparable to a single planet's radius.
  • Capacity: This hyperdrive is capable of granting even the largest of ships a comfortable leg up when it comes to traveling speed, though this is ofcourse adjustable.
WEAKNESSES
  • Size and weight: Due to its size and weight, alongside the Repulsor Ion arc reactor, this hyperdrive can only be installed in ships of at the very least cruiser class, meaning it is unsuitable for anything smaller.
  • Gravity well weakness: As with all hyperdrives, this hyperdrive as well can be locked into realspace by gravitational forces such as gravity well projectors.
  • Risks: Should the shimmering or microjump ability be used Three times, the hyperdrive's energy output will be depleted and all reserves will need to be diverted to the hyperdrive in order for it's back up systems to work. This means in such a case all energy for shielding and weapons will be down for a considerable time until the back up system activates. Should the ship try to microjump or shimmer more than this, it may result in hyperdrive core rupture, complete implosion or the ship to be ripped between hyperspace and realspace.
DESCRIPTION
After many attempts on gaining contracts to have a licensed hyperdrive had failed, Nargath Holdings' engineers were tasked to build the company its very own first hyperdrive. The parameters were to have the highest possible energy output for them to play with, but due to this also meant that the enginers started to forego efficiency in favor of raw power and brunt. The decision was made to couple the hyperdrive to the tried and tested Repulsor Ion Arc reactor, which due to its considerable weight and size made it rather impossible for use in small ships, thus the hyperdrive lacks the high profitability that comes with many smaller and lighter systems which are more suited for starfighters and support ships.

The choices were made to make the casing out of Infinium 1458 which has a constant electrical current running through it to keep it stable, with Ersteel 145 components being used to efficiently remove any excess heat and to prevent potentially catastrophic pressure accumulation and the consequential stress upon the internals of the hyperdrive.

Last edited:
Very nicely written submission! The only concern I have is that this is a very powerful piece of technology to have at the Mass Produced level of production. To have entire (potential) star fleets outfitted with these hyperdrives and able to shimmer in and out of realspace (even if it is only a few times per ship) feels a little overpowered to me. I feel like a Minor or Limited production rating would be a little more reasonable here.

If you'd be willing to make that alteration then I'm happy to move this on to final approval. Please tag me when you've made this change, or if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks!

Credius Credius

Credius Credius | Beltran Rarr Beltran Rarr

This is a really unique submission and I love the concept. I'm just a little worried about the shimmering ability of the drive. It is a very very powerful ability,

I feel that minor is a very high rating for such a powerful drive, I think knocking it down to limited might be better in this case

However, I was also wondering if you have any canon backing for the Shimmer Ability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom