Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFU 'Alchemy'

An idea i've been tossing around for a while, and let me explain...

In every IP alchemy is typically just magic making science easier and quicker. So with a talented enough smith/metallurgist, one should be able to just reverse engineer from existing alchemical objects, for parts of the process. Couldn't make a force nexus, or such, but making it always sharp, unbreakable/lightsaber proof, absorb or reflect (Without direction) force lightning, and such things should be replicable.... With enough b.s. and SCIENCE.... For instance...

The Alchemist needs svoltan rhyolite to make alchemical weapons/objects always sharp.. It's an extremely rare mineral... The mineral would likely be involved that when the iron/metal is heated to add carbon to steel(or whatever metal, iron + carbon = steel is just easiest for this demo)..

Instead of the typical iron-carbon bond for steel, there'd be some svoltan rhyolite atoms/particles that interface around the carbon (which provides sharpness in the first place, and hardness) and the bond therein would be made by super heating the metal to almost liquid and then super cooling it via liquid nitrogen quench, trapping the mineral in the bond. Then we sharpen it against the same mineral in a whet stone form, and voila, pretenatural eversharpness achieved.

With that bond and work, the S-R particles would alter the carbon and take away the brittle-ness from excessive carbon, and the flash freeze quench would trap the atoms of the minerals and metals permanately in a sharpened state. No magic needed, just a super specialized forge, a really nifty smith, and some rare minerals. And likely a longer dev thread than alchemy (to compensate for lack of handwavium)

So, would the above idea be feasible with a long enough dev thread for unlocking the process(es)?

To make a more structured point: Alchemy, in it's force form, can add a lot of strength and sharpness without adding the weight that certain materials would. In addition, force-based alchemy can add other affects, such as lightning resistance (or the ability to 'capture' energy), dark side aura, and various types of presence masking. NFU alchemy, if possible, could never reach that level of epicness.

It would simply be an alternative to raiding, fighting, or mining for already lightsaber-resistant materials (some of which are also very hard to work with).

Vivienne Zambrano said:
FUs have beskar, cortosis, and phrik. Why do they need alchemy?
Because it's supposed to be a crutch for weaker fu's who can't LS for poodoo etc. Notice how most alchemy experts are somewhat cowardly etc? Mandos have bes'kar, a lifetime in a militant culture full of training and constant warfare and therefore they are very dangerous without alchemy. The Mandos have rubbed out Force users many times, they stand out for the fact that they can without using the Force or anything associated.

Uriel

I Shall Know No Fear
Also: to level the playing field.

FUs get the lion's share of everything. They can access everything an NFU can, and then they get all kinds of magic powers (including the power to, y'know, conjure a warp storm), plus the ability to potentially indefinitely enchant any item with any effect they so desire limited only by imagination, skill of writing and quality of dev thread. This would make things a little more accessible for NFUs, and I for one completely support this idea. Not only is it well-founded, it's logical and sensical.

FUs have access to lightsaber-resistant material and alchemy. They also have the freaking force. Which, when used correctly, can do far more then an extra layer of armor can. NFUs get lightsaber resistant material. Everything else depends on how they were raised, what they were taught, and the other resources they have access to.

Refer to my previous post (directly above yours) for a slightly bigger explanation. Even with NFU alchemy, we wouldn't be able to get anywhere near as far as FUs can. They can still have their 'crutch', as you put it.
[member="Ceska Starshield"]

Oh Hell, why do I even bother. Canon schmanon. And don't give me any crap about Disney. Just because they decide to retcon everything for profit's sake and whizz all over it doesn't mean we have to.

FUs get everything? Yes, they do. *shrug* That's where a writer of an FU should actively attempt to gimp themself to be fair. Instead, lots of writers are guilty of using rare and ultra powerful skills like it's a simple Force Push. I don't karking care if your pc is a Master level, the fact that they are using rare skills like nothing is aggravating.

Now it's just becoming an arms race instead of being about writing.

[member="Ijaat Akun"]

Well, let's break it down step by step.

The canon Sith Sword is typically the basis for the site's definition of "materials alchemy." What usually can pass, with sufficient development, is an artifact with a full set of Sith Sword properties plus one exceptional, unique trait.

So, that said...

According to the Wookie, Sith Swords become lightsaber resistant due to the interaction of dark side energies and the materials utilized in the construction of the weapon. An NFU could replicate this by synthesizing a new lightsaber resistant material. Done.

Sith Swords can deflect/reflect blaster bolts and lasers. This is due to the reversal of the metal's magnetic polarity. Sounds like something a scientist could do imo.

It can absorb/release Force Lightning. This is due to the dark side nature of the weapon combined with the reversed, magnetic polarity. I'd say that, if the NFU successfully reverses the magnetic polarity of their object it might be able to attract electricity. Slap something on there to capture said attracted energies, like a battery (?) or something. Done.

Dark Side Nexus...yeah no.

So the basic properties of a Sith Sword, I see no reason why an NFU couldn't replicate them. After all, we live on a site where a Light Side version of Alchemy was created so kark it, anything is possible.

Ceska Starshield said:
Now it's just becoming an arms race instead of being about writing.
An unfortunate reality we must accept. However, of course, not everyone cares about winning, and we should never assume such. Focus on your writing, your fun, your experience. If people scrabbling over who's the strongest bothers you or doesn't interest you... then you must simply do your best to ignore it and never partake it in.

We can't change the actions of others. NFU 'alchemy' (as in 'SCIENCE, MOTHERKARKERS') is a way to even the playing field against the people who go OP or almost OP with their FU powers. It's not necessary whatsoever. It's optional. As is writing on the site. As is participating in OOC threads or discussions.

As another note: Note sure why you brought Disney up. We kind of stopped caring about what they're doing awhile ago.

Sith alchemy and art of the small are used to change the material on the subatomic level, to do so with science would be incredibly difficult and tedious, and pretty much a waste of time when one can access lightsaber resistant material and reverse their magnetic polarity in order to achieve the same reflectory abilities that alchemy and art of the small would produce.

Ceska Starshield said:
Seriously, even if Vornskr here is being sarcastic, he has a point. People (especially Sith affiliates, sorry) are going to see this and just keep escalating again and again.
I have full faith in our staff to stop people from going overboard. Half faith in our not-actually-tyrannical overlords. If someone starts taking a chite all over the board's writing experience, they'll put a stop to it. If someone wants to create an ultra powerful monster, it will either be denied or monitored very closely. When people kark up they get in trouble.
Have faith.

Vivienne Zambrano said:
An unfortunate reality we must accept. However, of course, not everyone cares about winning, and we should never assume such. Focus on your writing, your fun, your experience. If people scrabbling over who's the strongest bothers you or doesn't interest you... then you must simply do your best to ignore it and never partake it in.

We can't change the actions of others. NFU 'alchemy' (as in 'SCIENCE, MOTHERKARKERS') is a way to even the playing field against the people who go OP or almost OP with their FU powers. It's not necessary whatsoever. It's optional. As is writing on the site. As is participating in OOC threads or discussions.

As another note: Note sure why you brought Disney up. We kind of stopped caring about what they're doing awhile ago.
Because all of this just irritates me as somebody who takes pride in good writing and grew up with SW and other similar stuff. It's flat out lazy, being OP as a writer on an rp board. If you suck as a writer, it's much easier to justify stuff than get better as a writer. I do not understand why I should actively hamper my FU pcs when a number of others don't even bother.

Because it's the right thing to do. Or just don't. No one is making you tone down your FUs or your NFUs. Just know that if anyone goes overboard and somebody does the right thing and reports it, as they're supposed to, it will be dealt with.
But this isn't the right place for this. This is a thread about the possibility of NFU alchemy, not whether or not FUs are OP (and if they are, then all the more reason for NFUs to be able to go science on stuff).

[member="Vivienne Zambrano"]

You're right.

I am sorry for the hijacking [member="Ijaat Akun"] all I can offer is that writing is just a passion of mine. That and I love SW and feel like the whole thing has been karked with way too much by more...official sources (looking at you George).

Here's how I would go about replicating sith alchemized swords via metallurgy - obtain Ultrachrome, a superconductive material that is also as resilient as Phrik in terms of taking physical abuse, and make the blade out of it, make the hilt out of some non-conductive material, and at the base of the blade within the hilt I would place a small matrix of pyronium, less than a gram of such, and that would take care of the superconductive material's weakness, making it effectively absorb any residual energy that is conducted. You still have the chance of the blade melting if too much energy contact is made at once, but you now have a sword which can block a lightsaber, reflect blaster bolts, and absorb electricity and force lightning as though it were a regular sith sword. You also don't go stepping on the toes of canon-lovers such as myself or Ceska above.

[member="Ceska Starshield"] [member="Isley Verd"] [member="Ijaat Akun"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom