Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFU 'Alchemy'

Phrik was made up of more than one ore, put together. Meaning that originally, Phrik was not a thing. It was something someone in the SWU created using Phrikite and Tydirium. Meaning there is a precedent. It's not so far from the realms of possibility that other compounds could be made in a similar fashion. Simply means it hasn't been tried yet with other potential alloys. We need to separate alchemy and force alchemy for this discussion - alchemy is just science. Force alchemy is science combined with space magic.

Mysa Snowstrider said:
Phrik was made up of more than one ore, put together. Meaning that originally, Phrik was not a thing. It was something someone in the SWU created using Phrikite and Tydirium. Meaning there is a precedent. It's not so far from the realms of possibility that other compounds could be made in a similar fashion. Simply means it hasn't been tried yet with other potential alloys. We need to separate alchemy and force alchemy for this discussion - alchemy is just science. Force alchemy is science combined with space magic.
The difference between Phrik and a metal which transcends every last restricted material to date is that canon is always superior to non-canon in terms of strengths and weaknesses in the factory. You will not get by with a material that performs everything like ultrachrome does without the weakness it is granted.

In fact, ultrachrome is essentially the material everyone should be looking at - it performs everything that this thread is referring to.

Uriel

I Shall Know No Fear
Ultrachrome can't stop or deflect lightning attacks like a Sith sword can.

Nor is it the point. The point here is that NFUs deserve equal treament; if they want to create new and fun effects to replicate that which a Force-user can do, they should be allowed to try.

I don't see why you're so adamant about this. If people want to try, just let them. Force-users have it easy. Let the NFUs have their own toys and fun too.

Then there'll be no progression at all.

Everyone should just have standard ships from canon.

And screw the Codex.

What you're saying can be applied to every aspect of the Factory and the Codex. We all know that both of these are optional aspects of the Site which could be removed at any moment and wouldn't really detriment roleplay at all. Because yes, there's always a canon alternative.

But this is a site for writers, and writers like to create. They like to have their own little niche. And there's nothing wrong with that.

What sets Chaos apart from the other Star Wars RP boards out there - aside from its adaptive staff team and timeline - is the Factory/Codex. The fact that it allows its members to create most of what they can think up, within reason (minus super weapons ofc)

[member="Silara Kuhn"]

Uriel said:
Ultrachrome can't stop or deflect lightning attacks like a Sith sword can.

Nor is it the point. The point here is that NFUs deserve equal treament; if they want to create new and fun effects to replicate that which a Force-user can do, they should be allowed to try.

I don't see why you're so adamant about this. If people want to try, just let them. Force-users have it easy. Let the NFUs have their own toys and fun too.
As I've stated before, you can try if you wish - it won't be automatically denied - I am being adamant that the alternative that was given was easier and completed the same request with less time spent on it.

Mysa Snowstrider said:
Then there'll be no progression at all.

Everyone should just have standard ships from canon.

And screw the Codex.

What you're saying can be applied to every aspect of the Factory and the Codex. We all know that both of these are optional aspects of the Site which could be removed at any moment and wouldn't really detriment roleplay at all. Because yes, there's always a canon alternative.

But this is a site for writers, and writers like to create. They like to have their own little niche. And there's nothing wrong with that.

What sets Chaos apart from the other Star Wars RP boards out there - aside from its adaptive staff team and timeline - is the Factory/Codex. The fact that it allows its members to create most of what they can think up, within reason (minus super weapons ofc)

[member="Silara Kuhn"]
If the things are balanced then it should be fine. I am simply stating you won't have the ultimate unbreakable weapon that is being looked for.

Let me explain this in a better way: Look to create this alloy from a combination of Ultrachrome and Pyronium. You will reach the desired sith-sword-like effect that you want, and probably will create a new metal out of it that (although it will be restricted like Ultrachrome and Phrik) can be produced by others.

My suggestion is to do as one would when making Phrik out of Phrikite ore.

But I don't think that's what the OP is looking for. He already accepted the fact that a lot of the things Sith Alchemy can do a NFU Alchemist won't be able to do. He mentioned mostly the ability to have an ever-sharp blade edge. Is that so ground breaking? That's actually an aspect of Sith Alchemy that very few people ever comment upon anyway. You're being very quick to presume the OP writer's intent, without really finding it out for yourself, and instead you're blanketing it.

[member="Silara Kuhn"]

[member="Mysa Snowstrider"]
I already responded to Ijaat in both skype and here, neither times was I against his idea. What I was not for was [member="Uriel"]'s method of creating a blanket metal that would act just as sith alchemy or alkahestry would, which was the reasoning for all the mention of development. The combining of Ultrachrome and Pyronium would replicate the exact abilities he wants with a reasonable amount of effort required, rather than spending a month and a half creating an entirely new metal and submitting it to the factory.

Silara Kuhn said:
Here's how I would go about replicating sith alchemized swords via metallurgy - obtain Ultrachrome, a superconductive material that is also as resilient as Phrik in terms of taking physical abuse, and make the blade out of it, make the hilt out of some non-conductive material, and at the base of the blade within the hilt I would place a small matrix of pyronium, less than a gram of such, and that would take care of the superconductive material's weakness, making it effectively absorb any residual energy that is conducted. You still have the chance of the blade melting if too much energy contact is made at once, but you now have a sword which can block a lightsaber, reflect blaster bolts, and absorb electricity and force lightning as though it were a regular sith sword. You also don't go stepping on the toes of canon-lovers such as myself or Ceska above.

[member="Ceska Starshield"] [member="Isley Verd"] [member="Ijaat Akun"]

Silara Kuhn said:
I am not certain where the confusion is coming from, but the only thing I am against is creating a super-metal.

As far as making the metal always sharp, I don't see an issue with that as long as the work is put in as per mentioned. And I don't mean hundreds of posts of development.

I'm not talking about making a metal. (though the ultrchrome/phrik idea is kinda neat, as if I needed ANOTHER project damnt T_T). There is no hint of a super alloy in what I am suggesting so drop the stick with which that dead horse is being beaten, everyone, please. The amount of backlash from a certain someone on this thread is disappointing (and it's not Silara). Nor am I talking about an ultimate unbreakable weapon. Did you even read the first post people?! lol!! I'm talking about separate processes to imbue any material(from durasteel to beskar to whatever)with limited abilities, each ability a separate process. For instance:

Durasteel + Process in the original post w/ S.R. = Super sharp blade able to cut through other durasteel alloy blades. A typical aspect of Sith Alchemy that almost any Sith Sword has. Nothing more. Not even the whole kit and kaboodle on one blade really. This process alone would be X posts in a dev thread each time it was used, and Y posts through Z thread(s) to invent so it could even be used. It was never my intent to get off light or make it easy. I *want* to earn this, so I'm confused as to why some seem to think it's a power grab. If you knew of my char, you know he's likely to guard this secret as jealously as he does beskar, and ask [member="Jaxton Ravos"] the hoops he jumped through for that ICly and OOCly before I made it for him!

It's not made for power creep. It's not made for an arms race or such (which if you knew me, you'd know I detest with every fiber of my being). Ijaat is like me in his professional attitudes and habits. He is a tinkerer, an inventor, a metallurgist and man of 'science' in his own understanding of it. Naturally, he wants to push the envelope, just to see how far it can be pushed if for no other reason.

The more abilities, naturally the longer the dev for the item and the more work to 'invent' each separate process in it's own thread so it could even be allowed to be used in a dev thread on an item. NOTHING I said described adding a force nexus in any way. If the process affected lightning or blaster bolts at all(and I am doubting lightning would be something i'd bother with), it would be in a random way of deflection or absorption, not redirection, and with technological aids like varistor cartridge system to siphon excess energy the blades base material can't handle. I didn't go the route of making a super metal, as that would be power creep. THAT would be an arms race. Same as if I added more 'arcane' abilities.

And what I want is just IC mastery over a craft, and afforded the same chance to tinker and experiment as an Alchemist with the Force as a NFU Smith without it. I don't mind the extra threads to invent things and then to use the process each time. I welcome it. It's a challenge I relish in a masochistic way. And there's no reason it can't be done, and if you make me then I damn well will bust out science from the men who taught me all I know on metallurgy, one of them being a PhD in it, most having 10+ years of bladesmithing experience, and two of them being smiths in a rather famous documentary on the subject... I guarantee it can be pseudo-scientifically achieved and make sense.

All i'm asking for is if the idea of a NFU being able to replicate the alchemical process that bring about the less esoteric abilities of Alchemy can be replicated.

[member="Ijaat Akun"]

Silara Kuhn said:
As far as making the metal always sharp, I don't see an issue with that as long as the work is put in as per mentioned. And I don't mean hundreds of posts of development.
And if you can think of a way to do certain things alchemy can without the use of the metals I've mentioned to you then the same statement as above still stands. My comments on lightsaber resistance and such were in response to other various suggestions.

Ijaat Akun said:
The amount of backlash from a certain someone on this thread is disappointing
*worries that she got to snappy/sassy*
I, uh, um, just in case, have this:
giphy.gif

large.gif

Gatito6.gif
This is also in case anyone else in this thread needed to look at something cute<3

[member="Silara Kuhn"]

But if that's something someone wants to try and do, you shouldn't shoot them down at the first hurdle. If they're going to put in an extensive amount of work, then why not? Yes it would be extremely rare, restricted and controlled even after so much work put into it, every new synthesized product always is, but if someone wants to add some more flavour to the SWU then why not allow them to at least try? That is, after all, all that the Factory/Codex is. It's unnecessary, yet people like it all the same.

Silara Kuhn said:
As I've stated before, you can try if you wish - it won't be automatically denied - I am being adamant that the alternative that was given was easier and completed the same request with less time spent on it.

Someone made a suggestion, I told them what to expect to do. It isn't impossible unless an administrator or RPJ says it is so. As I've stated prior I can't make a judgement call until I've seen the submission and development threads for it.

[member="Silara Kuhn"]

Sorry this was something i'd written prior to the rest of this being posted since my last interaction with you. For w.e reason my laptop derped out in the time since, and only just posted it >~<;'

I didn't realise that you were referring to Qae initially, this is why derailments on threads are bad!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom