Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question Next Character

I'm honestly thinking of throwing together another character who can be a little more general, but everything else is cliche now, whether it be a Jedi, Sith or even a Mandalorian. It's hard to say who else to make now. Even Nightsisters are coming back to the forefront because of Jedi Survivor (spoiler).

Any suggestions?

Cliches are only cliches because they work. Put your own personal flavor on whatever it might be and there’s no telling where you can take it.
This much I know, but the cliche drains a lot of the creative work out of it, which is what makes it worse than it could be.

I'm honestly thinking of throwing together another character who can be a little more general, but everything else is cliche now, whether it be a Jedi, Sith or even a Mandalorian. It's hard to say who else to make now. Even Nightsisters are coming back to the forefront because of Jedi Survivor (spoiler).

Any suggestions?
Well, I can tell you from experience - especially with Mandalorians: just take any concept and slap a T-visor over it.

You can apply that philosophy to any pathway really - Jedi, Sith, Dark Sider, independent type character. You don't have to do cliché for something to work. However, this is Star Wars, so somewhere you will run into a cliché that you can't avoid applying. But you can put a fresh spin on a tried and true concept like Jedi or Mandalorian by making the Jedi an alcoholic or the Mandalorian a painter.

Personally, I wouldn't even worry about cliche or tropes. You can boil any character in existence down to simple tropes if you try, but that doesn't determine if they're a good or badly written character. Uncle Owen and Tywin Lannister could both be boiled down to 'tough father figures that do what they think is best for their families' - but that's it. That's the end of the comparison.

I'd find tropes and cliche you like, or concepts/characters you might like to mirror, then write them how you'd like to see them react in the world. Whatever that is, it's more what you do with the concept than not. Be it a Sith that infiltrates the Jedi, a Mandalorian with gambling debt, or a criminal warlord keeping up appearences while trying to find a way out of the dangerous life he made.

I’ve always viewed cliches as tools that are available for writers to use, not things to avoid at all costs. If Jedi, Sith, and Nightsister characters are suddenly things to be avoided because the Disney writers have done them before, then we don’t really have a forum because people enjoy playing those character types. And frankly, there’s nothing wrong with playing the popular archetypes like Jedi, Sith, Nightsisters, Mandos, Etc. It’s all part of the fun of this hobby.

That said, coming from someone who has a bit of experience playing non-cliche characters (I have a military speeder bike pilot and another character who is a zero-G trooper), it can be somewhat difficult to find stories for them, though that could just be an issue on my end. In terms of finding RP, Jedi, Sith, and Mando characters are almost always the safest best!

I’ve always viewed cliches as tools that are available for writers to use, not things to avoid at all costs. If Jedi, Sith, and Nightsister characters are suddenly things to be avoided because the Disney writers have done them before, then we don’t really have a forum because people enjoy playing those character types. And frankly, there’s nothing wrong with playing the popular archetypes like Jedi, Sith, Nightsisters, Mandos, Etc. It’s all part of the fun of this hobby.

That said, coming from someone who has a bit of experience playing non-cliche characters (I have a military speeder bike pilot and another character who is a zero-G trooper), it can be somewhat difficult to find stories for them, though that could just be an issue on my end. In terms of finding RP, Jedi, Sith, and Mando characters are almost always the safest best!
I blame Disney for ruining the "Legends". I can easily blame every other source of media for cliches of other characters, like how Mandalorians are often portrayed as these silent tough guys who show little by way of emotion (which changed because of Din and Boba's extended story).

I don't know who to be, tbh; it's more venting over a lack of attunement to the creative process, I think.

Um... nope, but I have a feeling what that'll entail XD
There’s bills to pay and starship fuel ain’t free :cool:

It’s a lot of fun. Tons of different directions you can go with it too- mercantile families, the tramp freighter, the in-system hauler, the ambitious trader, the scion of a fallen family, the smuggler and thief, all sorts of angles you can play.

I ran the gambit of Jedi-Sith-Witch characters over the last 5ish years, started writing a "normal" underworld type character that might end up in extraordinary circumstances - it might seem strange, given we're on a Star Wars RP board, but it's actually a bit liberating to just write a normal-ish person for once.

Maybe you should consider thinking of an interesting-ish but still relatively grounded character? That still gives you room to push them into whatever sort of popular group (sith, jedi, etc) if you end up wanting to but with the freedom to be basically whatever in the now.

There’s bills to pay and starship fuel ain’t free :cool:

It’s a lot of fun. Tons of different directions you can go with it too- mercantile families, the tramp freighter, the in-system hauler, the ambitious trader, the scion of a fallen family, the smuggler and thief, all sorts of angles you can play.
Definitely worth making a Star Trek character for :p

FOr space truckers there is the newly approved Crown and Spears merchant halls. Think hotel, business supplier, food service and legal/banking for cargo disputes and resupply.
We should totally do some stuff between our groups, esp since I made up the Interstellar Merchant-Captain’s Guild inspired by the captain’s clubs in the Vatta’s War series.

Definitely! Especially since you’ve also been doing some stuff with privateers that seem to have a lot of Vatta influence on them too, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom