Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Planet New Outback, Wild Space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gluk, Stock, and Two Smoking Lasers
nyknGER.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Planet Name: New Outback
  • Demonym: Outbacker
  • Region: Wild Space
  • System Name: K614
  • System Features: The K-six-fourteen system (surrounding a single unremarkable orange star) is brimming with unexplored asteroid belts and odd little moons. New Outback is the only properly settled terrestrial body, but small mining and prospecting stations and bases can be found throughout the system.
  • Location: The hex to the right of Port Mynock and below Akarui
  • Major Imports: Colony supplies, technology
  • Major Exports: Unusual flora and fauna (food, rare biochemicals, curios, etc.)
  • Unexploited Resources: New Outback is rich in the raw materials necessary to make red havod alloy. The planet's biodiversity is also complex enough to keep generating valuable discoveries for the next millennium.

GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION
  • Gravity: Standard
  • Climate: Temperate
  • Primary Terrain: Forests, jungles, tundra
  • Atmosphere: Type II (breath masks recommended outside settlements due to risk of inhaling dangerous spores, pollen, etc.)

LOCATION INFORMATION
  • Capital City: Sedaire's Landing
  • Planetary Features: New Outback is a plain colony world, never before inhabited by sentient species apart from a small Sharukan presence thousands of years ago, near the modern site of Fort Dax. The planet is strewn with islands and small continents.
  • Major Locations:
    • New Outback has three major settlements, each home to no more than a hundred thousand people: Sedaire's Landing, Nova Perla, and Coren Harbor. All three are built around a handful of permanently landed civilian colony ships of various makes and models. All three have basic spaceport facilities and are protected by redundant osmotic fields that keep irritating spores and pollens at bay. Large-scale and building-specific osmotic fields can be found all across New Outback. There are few distinctions between the three large settlements, except that Sedaire's Landing is the capital, Coren Harbor is the cold one, and Nova Perla is convenient to several very nice vacation islands. It's also rumored that the eponymous Perls themselves are considering the site for an entertainment venue.
    • Sedaire's Landing is a few hundred kilometers from the Zark Amroth Naval Academy, which serves various OPA-affiliated naval forces. ZANA has a highly reputable flight school led by instructors from nearby Pamarthe.
    • Fort Bantam and Fort Dax are the planet's two main defensive bases. Each boasts a few squadrons of assorted starfighters and a basic planetary ion cannon. Like the settlements and the academy, each base has a durable old ICE/AEI White Iron area shield generator, as well as osmotic fields for air quality. The bases have a little onsite entertainment, but it's common for folks on leave to take a shuttle to the nearest settlement (Nova Perla for Fort Dax; Coren Harbor for Fort Bantam).

POPULATION
  • Native Species: N/A
  • Immigrated Species: Human, assorted Kathol Sector species (e.g. Uukaablians and Jarells), standard galactic mix, a few small communities of Apokka
  • Population: Sparse (under half a million)
  • Demographics: ⅓ human, ⅓ assorted Kathol species, ⅓ standard galactic mix
  • Primary Languages: Various common trade languages (e.g. Basic, Huttese, Minnisiat, Sy Bisti)
  • Culture: New Outback is your average hardscrabble Outer Rim colony. Folks are too busy bartering, prospecting, laying low and/or trying to make it big to spend much time on things like 'culture.' Insofar as there's a national sport, it's gambling on seaspeeder races and gunslinger matches. In personal lives, and within communities, the planet has a substantial diversity of species and cultures.

GOVERNMENT & ECONOMY
  • Government: Confederation of independent democratic settlements.
  • Affiliation: Outer Planets Alliance
  • Wealth: Low. Most colonies aren't profitable for years or decades, and New Outback is no exception - though a few prospectors have struck it rich for sure.
  • Stability: High. The colonial administrations aren't especially overbearing, and provide excellent value (e.g. osmotic fields, fair docking/residence opportunities). Those few who would be prone to unrest are generally busy with pickaxes and prospecting scanners in the middle of nowhere - or spending their take in convenient places of ill repute.
  • Freedom & Oppression: The elected colonial administrations can be fairly overbearing at times, but it's not hard to justify 'my way or the highway' when colonists often need to pull together. Screw with collective safety (e.g. the osmotic fields and water purifiers) and you'll find yourself exiled to the jungle, with or without a hole in your breath mask. In many other ways, though, New Outback is just as freewheeling and unregulated as the average OPA planet. Gunfights in the streets aren't uncommon at all.

MILITARY & TECHNOLOGY
  • Military: Between the naval academy and the two bases, New Outback has a decent fighter wing and a couple of planetary ion cannons. That's about it. Its main defenses are remoteness and a low profile.
  • Technology: Outer Rim (galactic standard plus rust and duct tape)

HISTORICAL INFORMATION
The first settlers touched down in 852ABY, about five years after the rise of the Kathol Outback faction that eventually became the OPA. They named their settlements and defensive sites after notable TKO/ORC/OPA leaders. They hailed primarily from underground resistance movements (e.g. against the Lords of the Fringe and the One Sith) and the Kathol worlds. This eclectic mix of unusual species and tired veterans gave the colonies a unique edge - especially valuable considering how far outside OPA borders they'd been built.

In 856ABY, the OPA built the Zark Amroth Naval Academy near Sedaire's Landing. ZANA emerged as one of the region's better naval academies, with an impressive flight school. Many formally OPA-affiliated ships now have junior officers who studied at ZANA.

During the height of hostilities with the Sharukan Empire, it's believed that the Sharuka bypassed New Outback largely as a matter of luck; the small colony was largely overlooked.

Last edited:
Jerec Asyr Jerec Asyr Overall this is a really good sub, and I'd love to see how it gets developed IC! :D There are just a few things I'd like to go over with you before I hand you along.

Immigrated Species: Human, assorted Kathol Sector species (e.g. Uukaablians and Jarells), standard galactic milieu, a few small communities of Apokka
Demographics: ⅓ human, ⅓ assorted Kathol species, ⅓ standard galactic milieu

I would highly suggest finding a word other than "milieu" to use here. It's a very obscure word, and we like to have subs easily understood by the community. The traditional definition also comes off a little clunky with the way you've used it: "the physical or social setting in which something occurs or develops"

Technology: Outer Rim
Could you elaborate here? As it is, I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Is this below galactic standard? Galactic average?

During the height of hostilities with the Sharukan Empire, it's believed that the Sharuka bypassed New Outback largely as a matter of luck; the small colony was largely overlooked.
Is there more to this that got cut off? It cuts off very abruptly, and leaves your history section with a very sudden ending with very little context of who the Sharukan Empire is/was.

Let me know when you've given these a look over, and of any changes you make from my comments. :)

Jerec Asyr Jerec Asyr

Greetings!

This is a pretty cool looking planet! I love the map you made - That's really unique. This line cracked me up. Nice job!
eb7ac3820fe6ed7688d9d989dd6a5fc6.png

There are just a few minor things to look over and we'll get you on your way.

1.) Region: Wild Space - Per the template the region does need to be linked.​
2.) Location: This becomes clear if you do a little thinking, however, I would either tweak the wording or add a screen cap w/the general location. Something like: "It's located in the hex just to the right of Port Mynock and below Akarui."
3.) Unexploited Resources: This area in blue makes it seem like there may one day be other materials available, or, that they may already exist but haven't been discovered. If there is anything else specific please be sure to add it in.​
Unexploited Resources: New Outback is rich in the raw materials necessary to make red havod alloy. The planet's biodiversity is also complex enough to keep generating valuable discoveries for the next millennium.
4.) Major Locations: I think the "F" at the end there in the screen cap needs to be moved down to the next bullet point.​
d968bfdac277b1819b623d71b79b3af7.png

That's all! Tag me when you're good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom