Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Factory/Tech/Construction/Fleeting concept

So let me start by saying that I doubt this will fly because people will rebel against any revolutionary concept that limits their toys. Now that I've gotten that out of the way, allow me to explain the idea as simple as I can.

When it comes to ship and technology design, the forums are rather inundated with things constantly. That's great, and it's awesome that people take the time to think about what kind of technology there would be out there. It's like a constant running chess match of who can outplay who. This is great and builds an awesome community for writing in.

However, I've noticed that, despite the number of ship designs being built, there's a lack of interest in fleeting. Star Wars isn't just about the Force and people with lightsabers running around and chopping people in half. Fleeting was a large part of what we saw in the movies and books. It shouldn't be second fiddle, but should be just as important as everything else, especially when it comes to invasions, dominions, and skirmishes.

Some people may recall this concept from the old days of RPing, back in the early to mid 2000's. It was pretty simple. If you had a shipyard, you could build ships. No shipyard = no ships. Instead of them just being instantly available, however, you had to spend time building them. This was quantified in RL days where the shipyard was tied up building a ship. When the ship was done, that ship was officially a part of your fleet. If it was destroyed in battle, it was destroyed and no longer in your repertoire of vessels.

This put a large importance on strategy and tactics, rather than just mass firing of weapons and this or that happens, and in the end all of the ships are fine and dandy because we instantly replace them. Every ship had meaning. Every ship was a precious commodity. You lose it, and you're in trouble. So if you lose a big battle in defense of a planet, and a large portion of your fleet is wiped out, and another enemy attacks you, you're at a severe disadvantage. This provided realism, and with realism came some fantastic RPing of fleet battles that rivaled those in the books or movies.

The proposition:

We bring back this time based construction method.
Each ship yard has X number of bays depending on how developed the yard is (I believe there's a rating system already in place).
Each bay can build one ship at a time.
Length of time of construction is quantified in RL days and is based on the length of the vessels per an agreed upon ratio and is always rounded to the nearest whole number.
Shipyards get their own forum, with builds kept track of by dedicated staff. (I would volunteer)
All fleet manifests would be kept in the open for all to see from an OOC standpoint, with the understanding that their composition would be ICly secret.
All ship designs must have a built prototype of the vessel, as this would ICly be the first course of action when a new ship is designed. It has to be tested.

Something similar would also be beneficial in the tech field when it comes to tanks/droids.

Pros:
Fleeting becomes important again.
Companies have quantifiable capabilities of producing ships, and actually produce to order instead of everyone just posting and then having one of something, which puts a greater importance on companies and the development of shipyards.
Realism once more becomes important in the confines of space warfare.
Ships are made a resource which aren't to be taken lightly instead of getting blown up and replaced like cannon fodder.
Less common to have ship submissions.
Forces people to interact with companies to get what they need, putting a great importance on the position of owning a company.
Puts an importance on defending your drive yards.

Cons:
It takes time.
People don't like to wait for things (no instant gratification for you).
People don't want to be dependent on companies.
More work for staff to take care of.

Example:
The Republic wants to design a new 1500m destroyer.
The agreed upon length of time for construction, as a baseline, is 15 days for every 1000m.
The design is submitted and worked out with factory staff.
Once things have been ironed out, the Republic begins construction of the prototype vessel via their main drive yards, which takes 23 days.
Once the prototype is completed, the design is approved and they can begin main construction of the vessel. The prototype enters their inventory.
Their drive yards have four bays. Three bays are occupied. They can build one destroyer, costing them another 23 days of build time.
The destroyer is completed and added to their inventory of ships, assigned a name to differentiate, and capable of being used in battle.

So lets here the negative thoughts. I'm sure this won't go over well, but I thought it was worth bringing up as a possible idea and I think it would be of great benefit. Positive input is also welcome.

Corey's OOC

And where were the spiders
Actually, I did like this concept in the past, if only to provide factions a proper count to numbers and how many can be constructed and how long it takes. Just to make things easier in the story writing.

Funnily enough, I was just thinking about suggesting this yesterday. :) I certainly agree with it. We'd also need to factor in major/minor production: maybe minor production vessels take three times as long to build as a major production vessel of the same size?

I think the minor production would be hashed out by the length of time it takes to build a vessel, and if it's minor then you wouldn't be allowed to mass produce it. We'd have to hash out what is considered minor, in numbers, based on ship size.

I disagree with this, this is way too uh work for this when it already takes s much work to get a ship approved. Lets not forget those of us who are not that good naturally at these things so it takes days upon weeks to get something approved to get what we want. Then we would have to wait days, upon weeks to get the numbers we wants, maybe even months.
Where I see his means that Invasions, and other things wouldnt be all over the place like white on rice, the fact that RL time on this would take alot of work to keep up with along with on going threads, and what not..this just adds on the many other things we are having to keep track off. This hurts Minor Factions turning Major, because now they must wait before they could legitimately begin Dominions, and would suffer greatly against those who already have been Majors for so long, and now have fleets worthy of showing off.

No this is simply not a good system.

[member="Niamh Raste"]
The issue here is that fleeting does not currently have to have an effect on Invasions. I'd like it if they did, but I'm realistic enough to know that the 5% of writers who fleet should not dominate or have equal share in winning compared with the 95% who don't.

This system is incredibly complex, but I'm not exactly sure how you intend to have it work beyond this. We don't make factions fleet, and the extra administration and book keeping seems prohibitive.

If a less labour intensive method could be found it might work for purposes of skirmishes and fleeting in invasions where it's allowed though.

[member="Romeo Sin"]
In reality you are not simply granted great riches, you must earn them. Those who had been advanced for some time have a great advantage, but they can be overcome with perseverance and determination. How, you ask? By building more shipyards or advancing existing ones. Besides, numbers alone do not win battles. Tactics and superior technology can make an outnumbered foe easily victorious in a battle. Not saying it won't be hard, it already is, but this system would make it more realistic.

[member="Darth Janus"]
I was being facetious. It's an old concept. I know because back in 2001 when I started RPing Star Wars this was mainstream. I think it would work well in the current setup of SWRP, however, thanks to the existence of companies.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

I think it seems more difficult than it is. It was hard to explain without making it seem harder than it really is.

I agree that fleeting doesn't have to have an effect, but the point I'm trying to make is that it should, otherwise what's the point of designing ships and having fleets? Aren't we really just wasting time in the ship factory if these ships serve no purpose outside of the occasional skirmish?

This idea was to both make fleeting important and bring back realism in the sense that you generally don't just get to land on a planet wherever you want, you have to fight for that right.

As I said, I am open to suggestions on how to make this simpler, more feasible, and more accessible. By all means, offer me ideas.

[member="Niamh Raste"]

You make sense, but also you can only build but so many shipyards before your...overwhelmed with what finishes when. But you do make a point, regardless of this if anything, test it. See how it works, if it works well, do it. Hell Ill test it to give it a chance at least, but I see that i may not like it still.

The staff dedicated to this would be there to help you, [member="Romeo Sin"]. And generally, when we used this system before, we posted the finish date and then left it alone. On that date it was considered done and you could start a new build. Made it easy to keep track of what was done when.

[member="Niamh Raste"]
Were it up to me, I would suggest a similar style system and turn invasions into an actual war rather than a dozen duels whilst background noise happens around.

Fortunately it’s not up to me. :p

Whilst we can debate and agree that fleets and armies should have a bigger place in invasions, the simple truth is that they’re never going to be the deciding factor because that not what our members want.

As a method of regulating the size of fleets that factions can take into battles which DO happen though, I think this system can be modified much more simply.
A faction can have shipyards approved already through the starship forum. It wouldn’t be hard to come up with a very simple tier system, and then simply count up the number of shipyards and their tiers and come up with a soft limit on how big a faction’s fleet can be. That’s something which can be easily managed without daily checks or extra forums and staff, and self regulates the problem of someone pulling 20 star destroyers out of their ass.

I think that’d be a more productive way of doing this rather than going too complex. After all, this is the system from the craftshop years ago, and it was abandoned for similar reasons.

Corey's OOC

*shares legos*

[member="Niamh Raste"]

What we're looking at, if I'm seeing it right is that all Mass Produced SDs/BC/Frigates/Corvettes/Fighters take V/W/X/Y/Z
Minor Production Sd/BC/Frigate/Corvette/Fighters take V2/W2/X2/Y2/Z2 time

etc
etc?

[member="Tefka"]
Hehe. Thanks, Tef. Love ya, mate.

[member="Romeo Sin"]
Would depend on the agreed upon baseline, so I couldn't tell you for sure, but it would be quite quick, I think. Probably a day or two.

That could work as well. The only downside is the importance on the ships wouldn't be there as they could just say they replace them instantly. If we could figure out a way to take losses into account, it would be cool. I like the simplicity of yours, but it still needs something.

[member="Marek Starchaser"]
It would vary depending on the agreed upon baselines, but yes.

Corey's OOC

Yeah, well the variables were just that.
So say Star Destroyers take 1 to 2 OOC weeks for construction, but Republic SD takes 8 days, CIS SD takes 9, OP SD takes 7 etc etc

As long as thats logged in the armory/gear thread, that isn't bad. Then we make a thread that is all 'Faction Shipbuilding." And then every so often we get a post, like I saw on an old board (its a simple concept so I don't feel bad borrowing it, but...)

At Druckenwell Shipyard (never forget)
Three SDs being constructed, time 8 days, (1Oct14 Completion)

Then the resources are full up at that shipyard until the first. Maybe even have the compliment of fighters being constructed WITH the capital ships?

[member="Niamh Raste"]

[member="Niamh Raste"]
Since Roche I’m pretty sure no capital ship has been destroyed in any battle. However, your point stands. :p

My suggestion would be that it takes 1 day per ‘class’ of ship starting at corvette and going up the Anaxes War College scale, with 2 days each for minor, 3 for limited, 4 for unique.

Therefore building a mass produced Star Destroyer would take 6 days. Not much, sure, but we’re not aiming for book keeping and complexity, and it does give a window of opportunity for an attacker if they win a battle. We also don't want to have to wait a month for something, since IC/=/OOC time.
In this case, all that’s needed is to have a thread in the starship forum where you lay down when a ship is started, provided you have the shipyards, and it automatically appears on your roster x days later.

Starting off, all factions would have a complete inventory of ships.

Simple, not too time consuming and not requiring extra forums.

Perfect. I could live with that. Still takes RL time to build ships, applying some importance to them, but not so long as to scare people. I think this system will also entice people into fleeting because they'll want to be a part of something where the resources are so important. Plus it's fun to keep track of fleets, give ships names, etc. And more battles like Roche should happen. That was good fun.

[member="Marek Starchaser"]
That is essentially what I was going for. Thoughts on combining it with what Valiens posted?

Sirella Valkner

Because I'm a plant.
[member="Niamh Raste"]

I think on a whole this shouldn't be implemented. However, I think the concept is a neat one for a self contained campaign. Its like [member="Valiens Nantaris"](stop changing your bloody name) said about the 5% of the board who fleets and blah blah blah.

Now all that being said. I look at what Val says about RPing out legit battles and doing whatever. I think it would be fun to use this system and do a Campaign. That way people can still do things like this but it is relatively self contained and we don't subject an entire community to it.

Could be really neat to be honest. Get a few players together and create a Star Cluster that is like a single dot on the map but I mean Hapes is a single dot on the map and its 80 inhabited worlds. Then you can get players to come in and fight over it in a long term campaign and protected battle. You could get a real clone wars feel to it if done right, and for reinforcements this could be a decent system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom