Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech MR32 Deck Canon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Krayzen Dratos said:
I pretty much thought of the ion bolts being able to disable the shield, allowing the large caliber projectile to hit the hull of the ship, since ion bolts disable electrical systems.
Ion bolts weaken shields, albeit more effectively than laser cannons, but they do not bypass them and directly disable them.

[member="Braith Achlys"]
Again, I based my stuff from Wookipidea.

An ion blaster bolt disrupted electrical systems and melting fuses, destroying circuits and effectively rendering any kind of technology useless.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ion_blaster/Legends
Ion cannons were a form of armament that fired ionized particles capable of disrupting electronic systems.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ion_cannon
The ion pistol was a type of ion gun that fired ion energy instead of blaster bolts. This type of energy disrupted electrical systems, making it an effective weapon against droids, vehicles, electronic devices, and cybernetically enhanced creatures.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ion_pistol
. When operated, it would fire a short ion flash capable of temporarily disrupting electronic devices. This made it particularly adept at disabling security doors and droids.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ion_stunner_pistol

Krayzen Dratos said:
[member="Braith Achlys"]
Again, I based my stuff from Wookipidea.
Not a single one of those quotes states they bypass shields, and Ion Cannon's own article states plainly that they weaken shields. The only mention of them effecting a ship's systems directly also, in the same breath, state that it is only the case on unshielded ships.

[member="Braith Achlys"]

I've read the article, and the following direct references I can find for them talking about shields are this ones:
As a result, ion cannons were the weapon of choice for subduing, rather than destroying, enemy starships, vehicles, shields, or droids.
They were often used on capital ships, such as Star Destroyers, to facilitate the capture of enemy vessels or disabling them to allow safe close-range fire. They also helped to drop shields prior to destroying enemy vessels.
None of them seem to confirm your latter statement in which you state the only way ion systems is if a ship is unshielded. None of the direct references, and from what I read about the ion article go with what you stated.

In terms of you first statement, nothing in my paragraph states that(the one you quoted) states that it bypasses shields. It states that it disables them, which canon confirms, as well as the other quotes I posted from Wookipidea. In terms of the stuff you quoted here, it's common sense; deflector/ray/particle shields don't protect against ion bolts, something that is confirmed in canon, and something I already stated in the first page. It's a reason why ion canons are highly effective against conventional shielding.

A large ion cannon, the v-150 Planet Defender, provided fire support for the leaving transports, successfully disabling the Imperial-class Star Destroyer Tyrant
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Hoth/Legends
The Tyrant is an Imperial Star Destroyer; I would like to show one thing:
lanet. The Rebellion's heavy ion cannon, powered by the reactor of a battlecruiser, easily overwhelmed individual Star Destroyer shields and rapidly disabled ships in orbit.[38][46]
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_I-class_Star_Destroyer/Legends
The ISD's deflector shield dome, per the Wookie page only protects against things ray and particle shields do, as exemplified by this quoet:

The vanes projected both ray and particle shields and were scattered along the "crown", one function per vane.[1]
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/ISD-72x_deflector_shield_generator_dome
Not only does this go with what I states that ion bolts will affect shielding systems, it also goes to exemplify the fact that ion bolts won't be protected by both deflector/particle/ray shielding. That's why I am stating it was common sense that it will bypass the shielding, but I understanding for balancing purposes, you wanted that removed, so I was fine with that. Nevertheless, canon has shown it will bypass shielding.

Krayzen Dratos said:
[member="Braith Achlys"]

I've read the article, and the following direct references I can find for them talking about shields are this ones:

None of them seem to confirm your latter statement in which you state the only way ion systems is if a ship is unshielded. None of the direct references, and from what I read about the ion article go with what you stated.

In terms of you first statement, nothing in my paragraph states that(the one you quoted) states that it bypasses shields. It states that it disables them, which canon confirms, as well as the other quotes I posted from Wookipidea. In terms of the stuff you quoted here, it's common sense; deflector/ray/particle shields don't protect against ion bolts, something that is confirmed in canon, and something I already stated in the first page. It's a reason why ion canons are highly effective against conventional shielding.

The Tyrant is an Imperial Star Destroyer; I would like to show one thing:

The ISD's deflector shield dome, per the Wookie page only protects against things ray and particle shields do, as exemplified by this quoet:

Not only does this go with what I states that ion bolts will affect shielding systems, it also goes to exemplify the fact that ion bolts won't be protected by both deflector/particle/ray shielding. That's why I am stating it was common sense that it will bypass the shielding, but I understanding for balancing purposes, you wanted that removed, so I was fine with that. Nevertheless, canon has shown it will bypass shielding.
Those specific examples are exceptions to the rules. The v-150 had a power generator the size of a starship, buried underground and dwarfing the gun itself. The heavy ion cannon that you quote is the v-150. It was not equipped to a ship. The weapon is a planetary defense gun that costs a quarter of a planetary shield. Ray shields, which protect from energy based attacks, provide limited defense from ion weapons, and there exists specific shielding for ion storms and weapons in canon.

Regardless, the question was if the gun was intended to bypass shields, and you have stated they do not. This is being approved for that reason.

[member="Krayzen Dratos"][member="Braith Achlys"]

I have some issues that I'd like to look into on this gun. I'm removing it from the approved section to judge it myself. I don't want to have any issues down the line pertaining to this weapon or any weapon that would be based on it. Thank you for your understanding this won't take long. I will post any questions I require answers to.

Krayzen Dratos said:
Length: Length of point defensive laser Weight: Weight of point defense lase

Please list numbers.

Krayzen Dratos said:
Effective Range: Standard Point Defense Laser Canon
Please list a proper range, numbers.

Krayzen Dratos said:
Special Features: -Is effective against various types of shielding -Excellent point defense weapon
Please bullet list shielding that is effective against

Since this weapon does seem a bit powerful, I'd like more detail in what you're explaining and wanting it to do. Bland and vague explanations do not help when in pvp situations. Be as detailed as you can, to avoid any issue. Also clean up the formatting of the submission its rather hard to read. If you're unable to, I will do the cleaning of the formatting myself.

These are just the initial things that have popped out at me once you've cleaned up the submission I'll get into it deeper. [member="Krayzen Dratos"]

[member="Spencer Varanin"]

Edited; you asked me to go deeper into the explanation, so I did. I just want to mention I wasn't trying to challenge Braith's decision or anything when she asked me to edit some stuff.

[member="Krayzen Dratos"]

Thanks for the explanation, but can you add the bullet in the special features listing the shielding its effective against. Like a TL;DR and makes it easier to glance at if you will after that everything is approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom