Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech MR32 Deck Canon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Image Source: N/A
Intent: To create a deck canon that can be used for point defense.
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: Drakos Systems
Model: M545 Flak Canon
Affiliation: Closed Market.
Modularity: Yes
Production: Mass Production
Material: Durasteel, Duraplast, Deck Canon Components, Alusteel
Classification: Flak Canon
Length: 2 m
Weight: 1t
Ammunition Type: Gas Canister; Turbine Generator
Ammunition Capacity: Tens of thousands of rounds; infinite due to generator- in practice use however, dependent on host vessel.
Effective Range: Technically Infinite Range; Practically speaking, it 5 km wise.
Rate of Fire: Fully automatic
Special Features:
  • Excellent point defense weapon
  • Highly effective against various types of shielding such as particle, deflector, and ray shields.
Description: As war continues and the galaxy continues to fight, the One Sith are increasingly found with needing to make weapons for their ever expansionist navy. Seeking to build up on his other designs, Krayzen decided it was time to create a weapon that would be used for future ship designs.

One first needs to look at how ion weapons function. Ion weapons send ionized particles that are able to affect the shielding, electronics of other weapons, or other devices- an important example being a ship. Having examined visually the effects of the v-120 ion canon on a Star Destroyer, Krayzen believed that it would be better to be able to create a weapon that would have a much more smaller effect, wanting a weapon that would be able to fight off starfighters, gunships, bombers, etc. MR32 Deck Canon was born.

The weapon, like most flak guns consists of advanced automation, faster than light sensors, and targeting computers that are in all deck canons(since the deck canon is a variant of the flak guns). What makes this difference from other designs it's variants.

The first variant is similar to the deck canon in some respects. When a starfighter comes to its range, the deck canon fires an ion bolt, then quickly fires a large caliber(20mm) projectile(which is electromagnetically launched like a railgun, travelling at speeds of 6 km/s). The ion bolts can be able to disrupt the shielding systems/other electrical systems of the starfighter, and the large caliber projectile can then be able to significantly affect the integrity of the starfighter since the shields will be down. Tests from the weapon concluded that particle shields would be fully affected since they only protected against kinetic attacks; however, other tests also concluded that deflector shields, and ray shields protected a starfighter against an ion bolt, albeit to a limited effect.

The second variant is also similar to the first variant in some ways. When a starfighter comes to its range, it fires a large caliber projectile(20mm)(launched electromagnetically like a railgun), then quickly fires an ion bolt; the large caliber projectile can affect deflector shielding in some manner, and ray shielding, while the ion bolt can also be able to disrupt the shielding system, and other electrical systems of the ship. Like the other weapon, tests concluded particle shields would be fully affected, while ray, and deflector shields would be affected, albeit to a more limited effect.

The third variant is also similar, and was influenced by some of the Anzati's previous designs. When a starfighter comes into it's range, it fires a projectile(20mm)(that is electromagnetically launched, travelling at speeds of 6km/s) that is clouded with ion is created, something that is similar to the Mandalorian Ripper which is clouded with plasma, and the SK2 Ripper- one of Krayzen's own designs. Tests concluded the particle shields of the ship can protect against the projectile, however the ion cloud can still affect the shielding systems. On the other hand, if a ship is only ray shielded, they would be significantly affected since ray shields would not be able to protect against projectiles, however the ship would fair better against the ion attack. In deflector shields, tests also concluded that the ship would last longer, but as with most ships, repeated fire would affect the ship significantly.

All of this variants are fast mounted.

Despite this, the weapon is not without its weaknesses. It is significantly larger than a point defense laser, and it requires much more power than a point defense laser. Ultimately however, like his other designs, this is a must have for One Sith vessels.

(Worth 2 point defense lasers)
Primary Source: [/size]
Affiliation changed from One Sith to Open Market
Manufacturer changed from One Sith to Drakos Systems

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="Krayzen Dratos"]

Couple of things...

Range - I don't believe there is a true standard turbolaser range. Please define an effective range and a maximum range of fire.

Effectiveness - Please define what types of shields it's more effective against, to me, this seems a bit broad.

Ammunition Capacity - I could be wrong but isn't required for this type of weapon. [member="Gir Quee"] or [member="Reshmar"] - Please chime in on this particular point. Generators are also questionable as they can run out of juice, etc - though that has never been brought up as an issue in the past.

We can start there and keep going forward after changes/adjustments have been made.

[member=Pixel]

In terms of what I wrote, I am basing my statements on Wookipidea.
Two varieties of deflector shields existed, with ray shields deflecting or scattering energy beams, while particle shields diffused impacts from high-velocity projectiles and proton weapons.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Deflector_shield
A particle shield was a type of deflector shield used to deflect physical projectiles or space debris.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Particle_shield/Legends
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ray_shield/Legends
There were two basic types of energy shields: ray shields, which absorbed radiation and blaster bolts and particle shields, which repulsed solid objects.
It functioned by deflecting or scattering energy beams.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ray_shield
Also, from what I've seen from the tech subs, as well as the site, deflector shields protect against both projectile based weaponry(like a particle shield), and energy based weaponry(like a ray shield). None of them however protect against ion attacks, which would make this sub effective against the shields that I stated in the sub.

In terms of range, there are numerous tech subs that follow what I did. Some included:
Effective Range: Equivalent to 'Heavy, Long Range' Turbolasers.
http://starwarsrp.net/topic/79648-240mm83-mark-74-hypervelocity-cannon/
Effective Range:3/4ths Range of a Heavy Long Range Turbolaser
http://starwarsrp.net/topic/82163-rsd-defense-weapon/?hl=turbolaser

Effective Range: Medium Range (~2/3rds Standard Turbolaser Canon Ranges)
http://starwarsrp.net/topic/80393-ish-golgatha-class-megamaser/?hl=turbolaser

From what I've seen, most of the tech subs(that I've seen) that deal with capital ships use Standard Turbolaser Range, or anything that is simlar to that.

I would also like to ask why maximum range of fire is needed, considering the fact that this weapon follows the range template?

Most importantly, I would like to state that this isn't my arguing or anything; I'm just posting what I've seen/what Ik.

I would also like to add that I believe two of the tech subs, including my own also have "technically infinite" in terms of their ammo capacity. From what Ik, ion bolts are generated by a turbine generator, so I would assume it is infinite.

I also edited the thing to state that it is fast mount.

Pixel said:
Ammunition Capacity - I could be wrong but isn't required for this type of weapon. Gir Quee or Reshmar - Please chime in on this particular point. Generators are also questionable as they can run out of juice, etc - though that has never been brought up as an issue in the past.

The following is my personal opinion and shouldn't be taken as an official ruling from the factory staff.

I see this as a balancing act between keeping the RP moving forward at a decent rate and practicality.

Theoretically, both energy and physical munitions are finite; they will run out eventually.

For practical gameplay purposes here, from what I've seen, we do not typically limit physical munitions for capital ship-borne projectile cannons and energy-based weapons like ion cannons. This mostly seems to be so that we're not engaged mostly in a lot of tedious math rather than actually RPing.

That being said, this isn't an endorsement of simply holding down the trigger throughout the entire engagement and blazing away without any concern for ammunition conservation. Doing so would violate the unwritten "common sense" rule.

Krayzen Dratos said:
Ammunition Capacity: Tens of thousands of rounds; infinite due to generator
I'd personally recommend something like "Dependent on host vessel" or something like that.

The problem with an undefined range is just that - it's undefined.

However, we could hope that people will utilize common sense when it comes to "standard" ranges and such or if they lack the knowledge/common sense - look it up.

I'll let the lack of definition slide but if it becomes an issue - please understand that most of the time, if not all of the time I've always asked for specifics in ranges to prevent people from trying to reach beyond limitations.

Furthermore, individual submissions are judged on their own merit - I don't care about anyone else's submissions or what has passed prior. What matters to me is here and now.

Beyond that - Everything else seems pretty standard.

Krayzen Dratos said:
The third variant is also similar, and was influenced by some of the Anzati's previous designs. When a starfighter comes into it's range, it fires a projectile that is clouded with ion is created, something that is similar to the Mandalorian Ripper which is clouded with plasma. The projectile is able to go through the shielding systems of various forms of shielding(deflector/ray/particle) due to the ion cloud. This makes the third variant perhaps the most effective out of all the designs.
Unless the bold red text is removed or altered this submission cannot be approved. This amounts to hit-calling, and isn't permitted.

Krayzen Dratos said:
A mass driver and an ion cannon are both equivalent to a turbolaser. One of each in one gun equates to two turbolasers. By proxy, would this not count as two turbolasers? The weapon is very clearly used for offensive measures.

[member="Braith Achlys"]

SW has a history(at least of my understanding) of using weapons that are up scaled version of other weapons. I was basing my stuff on this..

The turbolaser was the immensely scaled up version of the blaster and laser cannon.
It states here a turbolaser was an scaled up version of a laser canon, which as you know, is a starship weapon. Also, an ion canon doesn't have to be an eqiuivalent of a starship weapon.

Ion canons have also been used for starfighters.

The NK-3 ion cannon was a type of starfighter-scale ion cannon that was manufactured by Borstel Galactic Defense
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/NK-3_ion_cannon
Thiswas also an ion canon that was used for starfighters, as exemplified by them being in this category
This is also an ion canon that can be used on starfighters, evidenced by the picture.

The SW-4 was a dual ion cannon manufactured by ArMek during the early years of the Galactic Empire. It was most commonly used aboard BTL Y-wing starfighters of the Alliance to Restore the Republic.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/SW-4_ion_cannon
I've also seen mass drivers be used on starships. An instance is the Rekali space superiority starfighter. One can also use mass drivers as a base for a CIWS, and I believe irl, the USA has one as well.

Technically speaking, when you fire at someone, you are going on the offensive, and are conducting offensive measures to protect something. That is what point defense lasers are for- they are used to protect the ship from lighter starcraft(starfighters, bombers, gunships, and so on). Considering that scaled up, and downgraded versions of weapons that function in the same way(turbolaser > laser canon > blaster and railgun > mass driver > verpine shatter gun, and other slugthowers), I don't see a problem, since what I am doing seems to be confirmed via Legends canon.

Krayzen Dratos said:
railgun > mass driver
A rail gun is a mass driver, I'm just going to get that out in the open first.

Krayzen Dratos said:
I don't see a problem, since what I am doing seems to be confirmed via Legends canon.
According to legends cannon, Ion cannons are used to weaken shields - they do not bypass them.

Krayzen Dratos said:
Effective Range: Standard Turbolaser Range
Furthermore, a turbolaser is a turbolaser. You're giving this the range of one, the potential damage output of one, but labeling it a point defense cannon. You can't have it both ways, it's either one or the other - is this comparable to a turbolaser, or is it comparable to a point defense laser?

To clarify the sticking points / issues are as follows:

Krayzen Dratos said:
Effective Range: Standard Turbolaser Range

Krayzen Dratos said:
-Excellent point defense weapon

Krayzen Dratos said:
Despite this, the weapon is not without its weaknesses. It is significantly larger than a point defense laser, and it requires much more power than a point defense laser. Ultimately however, like his other designs, this is a must have for One Sith vessels.

Krayzen Dratos said:
This has the range of a turbolaser, but is a point defense weapon. A point defense cannon is used for point defense - to target close to the ship in order to keep starfighters and fast-moving projectiles away.

This is larger & more powerful than a point defense laser, further range (turbolaser range), but is only worth two point defense lasers. At best, this is worth 1 point defense and 1 turbolaser because of the mass driver used. You can classify it like that, if you would like, or you can increase the amount of point defense laser cannons this would be equal to by a proportionate degree.

[member="Braith Achlys"]

-Removed the standard turbolaser range.

Since it is worth 2 point defense turbolasers, it is going to be larger, and it is going to have a larger power draw. There are submissions that I've seen in the site that follow the same weaknesses I've used, the -only- difference being the fact that turbolasers(since they comprise most of the capital weapons used in SW ships).

A few questions:

Krayzen Dratos said:
The first variant is similar to the deck canon in some respects. When a starfighter comes to its range, the deck canon fires an ion bolt, then quickly fires a large caliber projectile(which is electromagnetically launched like a railgun, travelling at speeds of 6 km/s). The ion bolt can be able to disrupt the shielding systems/other electrical systems of the starfighter(since deflector shields/ray/particle shields don't protect against ion bolts), and the large caliber projectile can then be able to significantly affect the integrity of the starfighter since the shields will be down.
Is this intended to disable the shields of the starfighter/ship in a single shot or otherwise bypass the shields in each consecutive shot?

[member="Braith Achlys"]

I believe I removed all the references to a turbolaser in my sub.

Also, I would assume that it is intended to repeatedly disable the electronic systems of a starfighter(including the shield systems and so on). When I thought of the design, I pretty much thought of the ion bolts being able to disable the shield, allowing the large caliber projectile to hit the hull of the ship, since ion bolts disable electrical systems. I hope that answers your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom