Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction Moral Ethics & Diplomacy 101 [New Jedi Order]

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

The scar covered Padawan raised her hand, the one missing it's pinky. She understood failure.

"Jedi don't abandon people because they think they're more important. What are you trying to say? That we should give up on lost causes and leave them to die? Even if the worst should happen, even if we can't save everyone, we should still try. If we don't, who will? If we don't, how many people are going to be left thinking they weren't worth it?"

Caedyn Arenais

To be ‘better’ is a choice. If you believe you have more value because you’re ‘better’, then you’re choosing to think you’re above the rest. Not much separates that line of thought and the Sith’s. Hardly surprising that would come from the Silver Jedi, with how they’ve been hiding from their responsibilities this whole war.

That was enough for Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el to take off. Zoar looked to his fast friend with a bit of surprise, before simply nodding. //Alright... See you, I guess,// he said quietly. But he wasn't quite ready to eject himself from the room yet. He didn't entirely disagree with what Corin Trenor Corin Trenor said, anyways. Maybe that last part, he disagreed with. Besides, he still had opinions.

The suit of armor wanted to say more, but Caedyn Arenais spoke up. Zoar could tell he was trying to remain impartial, and move the lesson along, but he could also tell the other masters in the room perhaps had their own opinions they wished to impart on the young Jedi.

Zoar couldn't hold it in any longer. He had to go to bat for his friend, Iris Arani Iris Arani .

//I agree with Iris,// Zoar finally said, after a second of thought. //Sorry, Master Arenais, I think I have to skip ahead in the textbook a bit. The Attribute of Courage states that risking ourselves in service to others is showing true conviction in the Jedi Way. Or, something like that. Loosely paraphrased.// Zoar grew up a youngling, but he hadn't memorized all those texts.

//Self-sacrifice is baked into the bones of our Order. Are you all asking us to ignore that part?//

"And what if the situation and the people you're fighting for, present an unwinnable outcome? What's the better of two evils?"

//Whataboutisms shouldn't dictate our ideals.//

- @All -

"And what if the situation and the people you're fighting for, present an unwinnable outcome? What's the better of two evils?"
"Not everyone out there is going to be able to be saved. Not every mission is going to go your way, there are going to be assignments you take on that go bad and during those times you need to know when to pull back."

Try to save everyone, always, always!” Starlin suddenly exclaimed, as though unable to keep it in any longer. Iris and Zoar didn't seem to be on the same page as Caedyn, and for all Starlin knew Caedyn wasn't on the same page as him either, but he felt possessed to speak. “And if you can’t save everyone—hell, even if everyone dies because of it, you can at least live with the fact that you tried to save them all. That you didn’t put one life before any other, trying to choose between two evils.

So impassioned was he, he hardly registered Corin’s challenge. Even if he had, it would’ve been met with little more than a look of confusion and mild amusement at the idea of fighting someone else's Padawan.

The only person we should ever consider acceptable for sacrifice is ourselves. So I agree with Iris and... whoever the dude in the suit is. But that’s the obvious answer. We already know we're supposed to sacrifice ourselves. We’re trained for it, it’s part of the Jedi way of life. But this isn't about self-sacrifice. It’s about choosing who you put the time and effort in to save under chitty circumstances where it looks like you can only save one or the other, yourself notwithstanding. Right?

It’s about choosing who you put the time and effort in to save under chitty circumstances where it looks like you can only save one or the other, yourself notwithstanding. Right?

Corin needed to learn so karking respect. He couldn't believe that he had thought so highly of the stuck up little mynock. Just because his master was a member of the High Council he thought he could walk all over the other Masters and their lessons. It was shameful really.

"Master, but isn't it the same thing? Just because the situation is bad, doesn't mean we give up. We don't choose who we save and we don't choose when we die. The Force does. And nobody would die because you tried to save everyone, it would be in spite of us doing our best, our knightly duty." He folded his arms across his chest in thought.

"When the Republic fell, my grandpa told me that the Jedi abandoned the Core. Abandoned everyone. He always knew we'd come back, but he said a lot of people cursed the Jedi for abandoning them. Especially the Silvers for not helping in the wars. Or not helping enough. He was right though, you came back with the Alliance, and then even after the Sith pushed you back we're here now and the Sith Empire is gone. People are starting to hope again." He paused.

"Is that what you mean Master Arenais? That sometimes its okay to fall back? Not because the situation is hopeless but because even though we're far away, the knowledge that we still live to fight another day keeps hope alive?"

Zabka watched as Corin Trenor Corin Trenor muttered an insult. He didn't react. He'd seen worse.

"No offense was intended, Master Arenais. Merely pointing out an example from history. I wouldn't be too concerned by his behavior. Reality sorts everybody out eventually."

Zabka took a step back as his son Starlin Rand Starlin Rand spoke on his own hard learned lessons. Zabka avoided giving a nod of approval, not wanting anyone to think he was tag teaming Corin. Starlin had been operating without him for years now. He really shouldn't have even butted in but he knew a Padawan who didn't get his balloons popped good and hard on judging those he hadn't even met was a ripe candidate to be a feth-up later in life.

(Cutaway of Laertia Io by a fancy fireplace, staring menacingly at whoever is reading this)

Really it was for his own good, getting this level of pushback.

Everyone said their piece. Some left.

"With The Force, there are no right answers. The Brightest of Jedi, still get it completely wrong some times..." he said slowly. "Sparing one may mean your hand is forced to end someone else down the road as a consequence. But what if the person you end up helping is the one person you shouldn't? What if some innocent civilian you pull out of a burning building turns out to be destined to be some psycho later, and thus you are the catalyst to a cascade of something you never intended. Its the single biggest risk of being a Jedi really...following its will can blow up in your face even if you're prepared. Is the sacrifice worth it? Certainly. But there are no free lunches in this calling. There's always a price tag in the end, for everything you do."

He sat back down. "The real trick is deciding what prices are worth the most to pay to help the most people possible. But sometimes you won't even get a choice about the price. Nothing you can do about it. Just part of the job. Its what seperates us from the Sith. We accept the price tags as they appear on the shelf. The Sith think they can control the price by stealing the code reader at the checkout counter."

Caltin Vanagor Caltin Vanagor

Caedyn Arenais

Silas Westgard Silas Westgard

Zoar Zoar

Valery Noble Valery Noble

Iris Arani Iris Arani

Caedyn Arenais

C

Curriculum: Philosophy, Ethics & Diplomacy.
Class Tutor: Caedyn Arenais.
Tags: Nameless One Nameless One , Zoar Zoar , Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el , Gabriel Pryce Gabriel Pryce , Corin Trenor Corin Trenor , Iris Arani Iris Arani , Silas Westgard Silas Westgard , Valery Noble Valery Noble , Caltin Vanagor Caltin Vanagor , Starlin Rand Starlin Rand .

It was safe to say that the students before him were showing strong conviction in their beliefs, despite the fact that they had yet to move on as Caedyn had instructed for a second time now. He had taken the time to listen to their responses, and he understood where they were each coming from. Their experiences differed from his own, and vice versa. No single Jedi was the same as another, and everyone's ideals were forged upon an individual path of learning and enlightenment. He would acknowledge and credit their contributions one last time, and then he would move on regardless of their will to discuss anything prior to that of the Jedi Code.

"Each and every one of you has done well to voice your beliefs, and I appreciate it. Know that, though I am a Jedi Knight, my experiences and learning will differ from your own, as will yours from your fellow students. As I have said, our ideals are shaped through our individual lenses, and I do not expect you all to agree with all that I say or the opinions of your peers. You must make up your own mind, and take care to consider the perspectives of others so that you might remain open to expanding on the knowledge you have gained so far in your life as Jedi" Caedyn spoke calmly, looking to each person in the room and giving them a brief smile of appreciation.

"However, it is time to move on and I will not ask a third time. Should you wish to discuss anything further with me, I invite you all to approach me after class, but for the sake of fewer interruptions to the lesson plan, we move on to the Jedi Code" he informed them, offering the invitation and yet waiting no further to proceed ahead.

"The quote that I offered was the second part of the Jedi Code, called the Jedi Tenets. You should all be familiar with the Precepts of the Jedi Code. Emotion, yet Peace. Ignorance, Yet Knowledge. Passion, Yet Serenity. Chaos, Yet Harmony. Death, Yet the Force". Caedyn spoke the first part of the Code and focused on gauging the attention of the class, seeking confirmation that they had indeed been taught it prior to this lesson. He wasn't entirely confident in the lack of recognition from them all regarding the Tenets of the Code, yet it was never too late to be taught. Especially with the difference in age and experience among students of Jedi today.

"We will start by sharing and discussing our interpretation of the precepts together...-Starting with-" Looking around the group, now seemed as good a time as any to pick out a new victim for sharing of their learning of the Code, "Padawan Trenor" Caedyn spoke directly to Corin Trenor Corin Trenor given his recent display of behaviour over the course of the class, "What does 'Emotion, yet Peace' mean to you?" He asked with a sense of expectation in his words.

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

What? Ask a third time?

Iris blinked in surprise. Then blushed and curled up some on herself. She'd been so focused on the first part she hadn't even realized there was more to the conversation. She should've been listening to everything, that was her goal in the first place. Yet she found something she felt strongly about and tuned everything else out. She sighed, closed her eyes. And listened.

To everything, this time.

Caedyn Arenais | @Others

"It's a meaningless platitude." He answered swiftly and dryly, with scant few emotional inflection to the voice that uttered the words. It was monotone, but it had not betrayed the intent behind his answer. He was dismissive of it, as much as Corin had been disruptive in earlier moments amid the lecture. Class, whatever the preferred definition for this alleged debate was in the moment. "It's an old belief, not our own. It means nothing to me."

Simply uncooperative.

Caedyn Arenais

Caedyn Arenais

C

Tags: Nameless One Nameless One , Zoar Zoar , Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el , Gabriel Pryce Gabriel Pryce , Corin Trenor Corin Trenor , Iris Arani Iris Arani , Silas Westgard Silas Westgard , Valery Noble Valery Noble , Caltin Vanagor Caltin Vanagor , Starlin Rand Starlin Rand .

"It's a meaningless platitude. It's an old belief, not our own. It means nothing to me."

"Then you may wish to reconsider your choice of career path" Caedyn replied, speaking directly to Corin Trenor Corin Trenor and choosing not to sugarcoat his response. "The Jedi Code is the heart of the Order, the cornerstone from which all Jedi learn and take inspiration from. Choosing not to live alongside the values of the Jedi Code will hold you back in the long run. Our history is important, our origins and our ideologies drive every act and intention we have for the present and future" Caedyn explained, clearly disappointed with the response of the young Padawan.

Looking to the rest of the class, Caedyn took a moment to poise himself; Soon offering the opportunity to the other students to give their thoughts and feelings concerning the Precepts of the Jedi Code. "Any other volunteers wishing to offer their thoughts on the first line of the Precepts? Or shall I explain my take on it?".

Caedyn Arenais

C

"It's an old, outdated belief that contradicts the Jedi Code." He returned, as if dumbfounded by Caedyn's answer. "The Jedi Code says 'there is no emotion, there is peace', am I expected to abide by ancient creeds in favour of the current. History is important, but of what relevance is that version of the code when we have moved beyond it?"

Caedyn Arenais

"In order to understand why, of course," Caedyn replied simply. He was glad to learn that Corin Trenor Corin Trenor did in fact know the reformed code of the Jedi, however, the way he had spoken of the original version had given the Jedi Knight the impression that the young lad had disregarded their history as meaningless and lacking any value to the learning of Jedi today; "I am glad to hear that you have at least paid attention to the Order's current edition of the Jedi Code, but don't be so quick to dismiss where we have come from. It's important to understand how Jedi of the past lived in order for us to grow and seek to avoid some of the mistakes that have been made in our history of service".

Looking to the others in the class, Caedyn continued; "As Padawan Trenor has said, history is indeed important. From our insight, we might better understand what it means to be a Jedi in today's society. Identifying what worked and what did not, will ultimately help you all in decisions and actions in the future. Your interactions with those who are outside of the Order, especially. Carrying this knowledge with you will help to teach others and raise awareness of these subjects, which you will likely encounter in your journey".

"The acquisition of knowledge and our attention to detail is an asset to the Order. I personally don't believe that we should forsake our past just because there may be something we perceive to be more valuable in place today. The Code we know today evolved from that which came before us, and so it seems reasonable to me that we seek to educate ourselves as to why the adaption was necessary for our moving forward" Caedyn concluded, soon looking to the Masters in the room in order to briefly gauge their reactions to what was being discussed.

Teaching teenagers was always bound to be an interesting time, and some today had not failed to live up to expectations in that sense. Caedyn however did hope that from this lesson, there would be some who would leave with an open mind and a willingness to further study, as opposed to simply disregarding what was being taught. It would do no good, were there to be students that refused to listen and at the very least, consider the knowledge that was on offer.

"Given that the second rendition of the Precepts has been raised, perhaps there are others who would like to give their opinions as to why the Code was changed?" He offered the class the opportunity, not wishing to dismiss the subject but seeking to include the other students who had seemingly fallen quiet during the exchange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom