Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Money Talks | Invite

Renata Westaway

R
2YyS0vb.png
Previously, on Star Wars Roleplaying: Chaos...

Renata wasn't quite as grumpy and antisocial as her counterpart, though she was something of a loner. Losing your fiance and your family, all your friends, your coworkers and your government tended to do that to a person. Even since she had emerged from the tunnel, she'd lost a close friend in Vir Aetos, who had died saving the people of Alpinn from a rogue asteroid. She found that her gaze was lingering on Dune's protocol droid and turned her gaze back to him, an abashed smile. "Perhaps I should invest in one of those," she said, nodding her honey-blonde head towards the protocol droid.

She listened to the rest of his explanation. "I suppose that all hangs together," she said carefully. Renata wasn't entirely convinced of the inviolability of the exchange rate, but at the very least it seemed like the Banking Clan would be exactly as interested in letting the Galactic Alliance manipulate the currency as they were in allowing the First Order to do the same, to wit: not at all. But then he said something that gave her pause. Her glassy eye narrowed slightly, her hand reaching up to brush a hair from her forehead.

Was it actually the case that the 'current lineup of galactic governments' was immune to external political whims? Was not half the galaxy at war now? She cupped her chin thoughtfully and studied Dune. "Out of curiosity, what other kinds of services does the Intergalactic Banking Clan have on offer?" Renata asked. Genuine interest? Playing for time? Who could say what was true?

Caulder Dune Caulder Dune

Renata Westaway

Given the oxygen expended, having it all 'hang together' was the least he could have hoped for. How exciting to meet that minimum threshold.​
Caulder spared a glance to his ever-present protocol droid. Sometimes he could forget it was there. Heuristic programming had taught it to become quite skilled at staying out of the way in pursuit of its duties.​
"It's a custom model," he explained, though he himself did not sound terribly impressed by that fact. "I have the artisan's card, if you'd like."​
This had apparently come up enough times in the past.​
The Deputy Director hesitated a moment, perhaps having not expected the question. "We currently operate a galactic relief fund and a genetic preservation initiative. Or perhaps you meant the more mundane financial affairs we see to...?"​

Renata Westaway

R
Artisan? That sounded expensive. She forced a polite smile. "I appreciate it," said Renata stiffly. Not for the first time, she had to reminds herself that she was no longer a Moff -- by her own choice -- and did not benefit from the salary of a member of Cabinet. She settled more comfortably into her seat and regarded the man opposite her, glassy eye studying his reaction and absorbing his explanation of the other services offered by his company.

"Ah -- I'm glad you brought up the IBCG GERF. I've been tasked with leading the First Order's Refugee Council. Now, more than ever, I feel all civilized nations have a responsibility to look after those who are being disadvantaged by war." This was, perhaps, a slight understatement. People were dying, seeing their families and homes blown apart, their life savings and livelihoods snatched from beneath them. It was too awful for words. "I am familiar with the GERF's efforts, but I'm afraid the literature isn't terribly clear. It outlines a situation where governments who are members may be eligible for relief for disasters or other emergencies within their borders, but does the fund envision any partnership efforts for governments attempting to help stateless individuals outside their borders?"

She briefly laid out the efforts the Refugee Council was taking, including the provision of refugee ships, health services, resettlement and homestead efforts, employment counseling, and other attendant services the organization provided. "The First Order is not a member of the Fund, as you know," she concluded. "But I wonder if there is some partnership we could strike to help the people. Combine our resources and specialize in our strengths?"

Renata Westaway

This conversation seemed to have been steered, and Caulder was quite sure he had not been the one to do so. Alas. Still, the Deputy Director listened carefully.​
"Our efforts with stateless individuals and the displaced are localized. We work with few independent firms who specialize in such things. But by and large, GERF only supplements whatever member-governments request assistance with," Caulder droned. "And so most of our activities are, perhaps regrettably, focused on citizens."​
Many governments preferred that their donations came back to them or their allies in the future. The sterilization of Outer Rim planets by the Bryn'adul was quite unfortunate, yes, but natural disasters at home tended to get more attention. It was all less abstract.​
"The Banking Clan would, of course, be happy to partner with the Refugee Council in its activities abroad. In what areas do you suppose the Refugee Council requires... Assistance?"​

Renata Westaway

R
Renata frowned thoughtfully, chewing the inside of her cheek thoughtfully as she considered. "I don't really know," she confessed, her eye flickering up to her companion for the moment. "I don't suppose the GERF has contacts for organizations that can assist with food, medicine, etc. Our problem is not being able to purchase these things, but rather being able to ascertain the different medical needs of the species we're trying to help."

It wasn't that the First Order was xenophobic. They just had no reason to know, offhand, all the information necessary to these species. They were on the other end of the galaxy, after all, and it wasn't until now that the First Order had been forced by the refugee crisis to take a keen interest. "Not all species are alike, as you know, in their nutritional needs, medical needs, environmental needs, et cetera. We are getting up to speed, but until then, we are looking to get connected to someone -- or a group of someones -- who have a base of knowledge that can accelerate the process."

The onetime Moff looked over at Dune, her eyebrows lifting. "Granted probably not within your normal sphere, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom