Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maze Runners (Lords of the Fringe Dominion of Dasid Anya)

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
Dasid Anya -- a world of Lugubraa and Killiks, with some Tchuukthai thrown in. A world of immense, miles-tall hive cities, arcologies crammed with sentient beings.

A world of mazes. Within each hive city was a three-dimensional maze, and running those mazes was the shared, preferred sport of Lugubraa, Killik and Tchuukthai alike, at least on Dasid Anya.

Once upon a time, one humanoid had finished one of Dasid Anya's mazes. His name was Jorus Merrill -- a master of instinctive navigation.

Why do the Lords of the Fringe find themselves running these mazes? Because Dasid Anya does not want to be conquered. Instead, it will join the Fringe Confederation -- if the world is impressed by how well the Fringers do. None of them are expected to finish the maze.

All the maze runners currently sit in a competitors' common area, preparing to enter the tunnels.

"What's your plan, folks?" asked Grand Admiral Karrde. "I hope it doesn't involve smashing through the maze or otherwise damaging it. These folks get impressed enough, who knows how far they're willing to go. Their population is huge, their trade connections are fantastic. We need them as much as they need to not get steamrolled by us.

"Now, here's the problem. Not only do we have to run the maze, but there's a possibility that others are here to compete against us. Champions of the Killiks and Lugubraa and Tchuukthai, that's a given -- but there are others, foreigners, maybe trying to humiliate us. If they puzzle out the maze before we do, who knows what might happen."

Optio Sargon was silent for the most part as he observed the crowd and thought over the maze. Its most apparent difficulty would be the gravitational control which shifted the entire nature of maze. After he looking over his own holofiles on the planet via his HUD he had an idea. "Grand Admiral, if I may what are the rules for this maze? Obviously we can't bash through the walls from point A to point B,but beyond that? Are we allowed to play with the gravitational flow? For this planet to join the Fringe I assume only one of us needs to make it out? Would it not make the most sense then for each person to go with an armored legionnaire and have their HUDs link up and create a holomap so we can get a clearer picture as we move?"

@[member="Ashin Varanin"]

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
"Sharing information will be...difficult, Optio. Creating a holomap is a wise idea, but we'll need to transmit the information person to person; the maze walls block comm channels except for a number of holocams run by the gamemasters. If even one of us gets out of the maze, I suspect it'll be looked upon favorably. As it happens, gravity constantly changes directions in there. Gravity technology of your own will get you disqualified. The rules? Well...there are regions without holocams, and those can get dangerous. Lugubraa-chewing-your-face-off dangerous."

Sargon nodded his understanding of the problems while he thought the situation out. At least he understood why there were grunts there, and with that he decided he needed to do some more research. Preparation was always the most important part of any battle he thought, and while this wasn't a battle per say it still required knowledge of the situation. They were there to leave a positive impression so some out right cheating like slicing into the holocams and trying to plot out the route that way wasn't going to end well either. Of course it was most likely best to leave it to the very man who'd made it out before.

Pulling up the files on Lugubraa he was looked it over with interest. "Any chance we can just capture one of the semi-intelligent ones of these and force it to bring us out?" It was his last pull on ideas but if it already knew the area then it would be able to. Of course they'd have to capture one old enough to understand what they wanted and how to get them all out, and yet not smart enough to lead them into one of their lairs. Either way he was interjecting a lot for a simple Optio.

I smiled as we were to run this maze. Some would literally run it. However the Admiral wanted ideas to get this all the way across for the Lords of the Fringe. Back at Kro Var we had a similar test. We were to go through a maze that was changed for every student, and we were to reach the end to pass. If we didnt, we were not allowed to move on. However, Kro Var didnt have the Tech to stop scanners, but they didnt need it as people on Kro Var rarely had one. Smiling I nodded. "Just because we can't use high tech, does not mean we cant use Primitive tech." I pulled out my bow and sword and placed them down next to my saber and pistol. I had my crimson hood down and my mask hanging from its clip on my belt. "If you were to choose one weapon from this group, Most of you would chose the blaster and the lightsaber. As you are used to them. However, The best here would be the Bow and the Sword, as they are harder to learn and require more strength. Same thing here for this maze. If we were to use older tech, like say the force. We could sense eachother and feel were each other person has been." I looked up to Ashin as I knew her by and smiled.

"Here we can't use older tech like scanners, So we create our own. People have become reliant on new tech, But for people like me, who have lived without it for years on end, Once ago on Kro Var. people used a type of compass that could be used from the stars. My alinning them right, we could plot our own course.
@[member="Ashin Varanin"], @[member="Sargon Vynea"]

Off to the side, a spacer sat at one of the smaller tables, boot-heels resting on the tabletop. He wasn't with the Fringe, wasn't with the group.

"Yeah," he said, catching attention, "your best bet's prolly instinct, that's for fethin' sure." Some of the Fringers might recognize him as a man they'd once captured and tortured, though his identity had never been revealed and Ashin had very quietly arranged for his release when she learned of it. Why he was here was anyone's guess.

"They won't let you in with lightsabres or blasters, for sure. The emo kid's got it right: They'll let in primitive weapons. Last time I went through I just had a knife. And no, capturin' a Lugubraa's a bad idea, dependin' how you do it. Lugubraa run half this city, an' watch half those holocams.

"Call me Trench, by the by."

Matreya

Zaiden sat silent in the back of the room, silently listening to the rules go by. He didn't care, navigation was a careful tactic of his. For 3 months on Hoth as a young man just starting his assassination jobset, Zaiden found himself trapped inside a massive tunnel of caves, chasing his mark. Everytime he had gotten close the man had bolted. Navigation simply was a necessity for those aiming to hunt people, he wouldn't be turned around once inside and as such he would make it through.

On his person he had a small iron knife, held by a sheath strapped to his muscular bicep, and his Shadow Dagger which rest against his lower back. His arms rest folded against his chest, as he slowly raised his head and looked to the others, "All we need is one person to complete it? That shouldnt be to impossible."

@[member="Morna Imura"] @[member="Sargon Vynea"] @[member="Ashin Varanin"]

I looked over to the side as the man I didn't see before spoke. He was agreeing with me on how they would only allow primitive weapons. that means no blasters, now lightsabers, no higher tech than probably a slugthrower. I pulled my bow and sword up as he pointed me out as the Emo kid. I smiled as he said that. Putting away the sword in the sheath and carrying my bow I looked at him again. "Glad you know what you are talking about here. My question though is, will they allow a compass"
@[member="Jorus Merrill"]

"They'll allow a compass, yes, an' chalk an' string, but let me clue y'all in on how this maze works. We're talkin' ten miles by ten miles by ten miles, broken into six-foot-by-six-foot tunnels, all identical. Gravity shifts constantly, so your sense of direction is basically useless. The finest hunters, trackers, and navigators in the galaxy come here to try it out, an' there's never been a humanoid get through it, not ever. Most of'em get recovered one way or another, dragged out by the Killiks or Lugubraa that treat this maze as a sport. Some of these top-notch hunters and explorers never come out. Maybe they die, maybe they eat each other, nobody knows.

"Point is, if you go into this thinkin' 'I am the best in the 'verse, this will be easy,' you're gonna die in there like everyone else that was the best in the 'verse. If you're the best you've ever seen or heard of, you might be good enough to fethin' survive."

Varus Ren

V

Garth stood beside Merill, his hood pulled up, concealing his face. He'd done his reading before heading out to Dasid. In the palm of his hand he twirled a dagger, it was all he would need to accomplish the mission. The Jedi cast a glance over to Jorus, he wasn't here because he was a huge fan of the Fringe, he was here because Jorus was, and that meant the Alliance was. He looked to Morna, who was brandishing a bow and arrow as well as a sword, emo kid was pushing the limit on weapons in his opinion. But that wasn't exactly his call, not here anyway.

Sargon grunted at the thought of leaving his trusty blaster rifle aside, but if they allowed primitive weapons he still had a sword and shield. Of course this meant he most likely wouldn't be allowed his armor on the inside either, or at least the helmet with all its goodies. He'd try to get away with the armor if he could but his IWS he handed off to one of his squad members. As for the stranger's advice he trusted his instinct in combat he supposed he could trust his instinct on direction. "Trench, you a local or simply an admirer of the labyrinth?"

He didn't trust the man, but he didn't distrust him either. He'd provided useful information but he was a legionnaire of the Fringe, and for all he knew the man was there to lead them astray. It would have been an excellent opportunity to kill a few of the higher members of the Fringe. No holocamera, no witnesses, and plenty of reasons for dead bodies. On the other hand the man might be just a man sharing some information, or an unknown ally. Either way he supposed he owed him some common respect. Stretching his hand out to his he introduced himself, "Optio Sargon Vynea of the 121st. Its nice to met you Trench."

@[member="Zaiden James-Greyson"]
@Jorus Merril
l@[member="Morna Imura"]

"I just fly 'round here. Tried the labyrinth, wasn't too happy, but I know it better'n some." Jorus leaned farther back in his chair and tossed a thumb over his shoulder at @[member="Garth Hummel"]. "Kid here's called Humms. He's thinkin' of tryin' the labyrinth hisself, ain't that right, Humms? Come to a decision yet?"

I smiled and shook my head. Here people were carrying daggers and their own fists. I on the other hand, had two daggers in my boots, a bow with arrow, a sword, and a chain. Each of them were a primitive weapon or tool. Ether way. I was considered a walking armory to the others around here. That would mean that I needed to move forwards in this place with caution. I could be attacked just for my weapons, so they could go and get more people. Only they were to be knocked down because I had the force. Ether way, I may have been slightly covered. My armor was simple plates, and robes, Other than that, I would have to leave my mask behind, as it had a heads up display. I could care less out the blaster, but my lightsaber was a weapon that I loved. Sadly I would have to depart from it on this one.

I watched as the others began to speak about others coming. there was what seemed to be a Jedi, the only reason I could possibly tell was by his white robes. However they were quite different. I nodded to him as Trench pointed him out. "Will you be going in Trench?"

Varus Ren

V
"It is Trench, that is very true. Heard there might be some things with scrounging up in that hole." Garth shrugged, continuing to twirl his blade in his hand. He'd rolled his eyes when he heard @[member="Jorus Merrill"]'s name for him, it wasn't exactly original. He also glared a bit at @[member="Morna Imura"], the man was staring, wether he meant to or not.

Matreya

Just as silent as before, Zaiden listened to @[member="Jorus Merrill"] and slowly a small cocky smile grew across his face. He wasn't so sure, for he had always used the force subconsciously to find his way, so unless the planet dampened the force it would still be little different then those months on Hoth. He may take time, but eventually he would find the end. Ignoringthe rrest Zaiden walked closer to the exit of the room, anxious to get started. As he passed Jorus he met the man's eyes and held them until he passed, then he leaned against the wall next to the exit, facing away from the group.

@[member="Morna Imura"] - "Might just give it another shot, yeah, but I think I'll stay out here and watch the holocams in case Humms needs a hand." Jorus refocused on @[member="Zaiden James-Greyson"]. "Whatcha grinnin for, kid? Think I don't know what I'm talkin' about? I've seen Forcers of every kind go in there, people that know what they're doin', know how to move an' think an' get where they're goin', an' they don't make it through the maze. Smirk all ya want. This thing's beyond you. There's only one man that ever got through, apart from Lugubraa and Killiks that think different than we do, an' that man's the kinda person who could walk through a war with his eyes closed an' still not lose his way. They say he's a Force Master that can only do that one thing." Jorus shrugged eloquently. "If ya think y'can do that, be my guest. Feth, give his record a shot."

Armed now with only his sword and shield he felt a bit naked without his men. He'd begun to get used to completing objectives as unit, what each individual member lacked another made up for. Only a few were even possible candidates to enter, for without strong melee skills they'd just be in the way. Either way he had a job to do and he would do it. Most of the people going in required absolutely no protection. To be completely honest with himself he would be more likely to be in need of assistance then they were. Of course it would also force him to grow in a different direction then he'd been training in.

He'd begun to enjoy leadership even in the small form he had now, and being a member of a team. He'd always been a loner when working with mercenary teams. After all sometimes when you lost someone there the split just got better. Here if you lost a man, he knew him and felt responsible for him. He felt a bit odd though being in the presence of so many high ranked members of the Fringe. A Grand Admiral, a Legate, and some prophets it was like being a mean dog in a room full of lions. You felt like a big shot until you looked around and realized you had the smallest teeth and claws. He did have a job to do and he supposed he should try to protect the lions from whatever vermin was below them. Looking over at the newest man to join the maze he extended his hand to Humms, "Optio Sargon Vynea, good to met you. You often watch the maze or just happen to be in the area?"

@[member="Garth Hummel"]

I knew Zaiden to be a very hot headed man, but here he was being just plain stupid. If anybody thnks they can come through here with their eyes closed is in for a shock of their lives. I only shook my head at the friend of mine as he just sat there and smirked. I gathered the rest of my gear as this would not be a shrot journey. Grabbing a leter sized canteen and filling it to the brim, I brought some tablits to pureify water, and I also grabbed a small medic kit. Ugh I hated the fact that as a Shaper of Kro Var I would be more ready for this than most other people.

This would ether make me an ally, or an enemy. Ether way, I had some of the fringers with me. The man who had introduced himself twice already I knew would have to do better than tea time to save himself. I knew that he may have the ability to shot a man from a hundred meters. But I dont think he had the heart to kill a man that was unarmed. I may have to watch for him. As for the Jedi, If the chance would come, I knew that he would stab me in the back. Zaiden would protect me, as well as Ashin, if she thought that I was useful for the most part. Trench, I thought that if he joined then possibly we could have a chance. Though he was alittle shady. By the way that he spoke about the tale of the man who made it through, he was letting something slip away.

I didnt want to call him out on it. One that would be stupid of me, Even if I had all the weapons in the world, he had the look to kill me with a datapad in 400 different ways. second, It was kind of rude to call someone out if you didnt know them. it only got you two on the wrong side of eachother and it tended to end up with one of them layin on the floor with a knife in the back. I walked over to the man as the Zabrak was talking to the Jedi.

Smiling and leaning over with a whisper I spoke to him alone. "That was an intresting story, Though those who tend to tell storys about others, hide one fact with two lies." I remember my father telling me about this when I was just a little boy. How story tellers told lies to cover up the truth. that some being was so powerful that he could destry the planet, and take the life from people with his bare hands, However this man was powerful, but with words rather than brute strength. This man was hiding something that was very improtant, and I kind of wanted to know.

Jorus kept his boots on the table as Morna leaned close to whisper. "Well, friend," he said quietly, "I know a storyteller or two as would take offense t'that. Some live by stories; I've been one myself. There was a time when information was my stock in trade. You're wearing the road well, Shaper. Metalorn didn't leave too many scars on ya." There was, of course, no way for some random spacer in the Unknown Regions to have access to the Metalorn after-action reports. For a full naval Captain in the ODF, a former infobroker, and a half owner of a very large hyperlane, it was a little more plausible.

He pulled his heels off and stood. Morna had a couple of inches on him, thinner build, a few less years, a few more tats except for the geometric, tribal thing that covered Jorus's left arm shoulder to wrist. It snaked out from under his shirtsleeve. "But since you don't like stories much," he added, just as quietly, "I'll refrain from telling'em about you."

I could only smile a grin showing my pearly whites. I shook my head as it bowed down like I had taken a new intrest in my boots. "I rather like stories my friend. However, I don't like stories that are not completed." I looked up to the man with a face that was void of all emoution. The man was slightly shorter than I, but he was built larger. I may have had a skinny build, but it was all muscle. When you are like me, running and living off the land, only for what you may need. You tend to be skinny. The man had age on me. He had more expierance. I did not. If I were to be on a team with him, I needed to make friends, not push them away. "You don't have to tell my stories. I would actualy rather you not tfell mine, as I am just a simple man making his way in life."

I smiled knowing that he was an Ex-infochant. Someone who could get info from places where others had most likely never even heard of. The mention of Metalorn showed me that he already knew what I was most likely capible of. However, That doesnt mean I was also hiding something. The man spoke about me saying that I wore the road well. it was some, possibly cheap, form of a compliment, but still a compliment. "All I want is the full story, Because if I were to beat a maze like this," As I spoke of the maze my hand raised to point in the general direction of it, "I wouldn't tell a soul, as everybody would be gunning for me. You know this man that passed through here. You may have tried it, You, youself said so." I stopped for a breath and then I pointed at him ever so slightly. "Or you are the man in the story. Nothing like telling your own story in third person."

I didn't want to start an argument between us. nor did I want to make a rift. As such I left after my little speach to the man. There was no need for me to speak any further as; he already knew that I was powerful that most, I was smart enough to pass through the man's lies, partly, and then to just, in a very rude way of delivering, give the man a compliment. I walked over to Ashin and Zaiden and waited for us to start. If "Trench" was to join us, I wouldnt be dissapointed, but if he left, He would never see what I could come up with first hand, Rather than read a holo about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom