Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maria's Guide to Lack of Muse

Muse. We all know it's vital for our survival in the RP world and without that, the evil term known as "LOA" is easy to take over. A lot of people wiggle, suffer, try to bare the pain of lack of inspiration for their character, and it hurts my heart, to be honest. I myself have developed a method of regaining my muse, but I must say I am not sure if it also works on others. But let's see. So here I am, and I present you the

Maria's Guide to Lack of Muse
Q: What is this Lack of Muse aka Writer's Block?
Lack of Muse (or Writer's Block) is a term we use when we think we can't write because we don't have inspiration to do that or when we are not feeling like that. Well, to be honest, in reality, such a thing doesn't exist. It is but a thing we have come up with as an excuse to stay away from writing and procrastinate. I understand, most of the times we don't have the needed inspiration for a character, but we can't just stay in this state forever or "until we're getting better". Like a known author has spoken (not direct quote), Writer's Block doesn't exist and we must handle it, not letting it take us over.

Q: OK, if it doesn't actually exist, then why can't I write?
Simple. You're not inspired. Or you have been involved in drama. Either way, it's curable. Most of the times.

Q: I was involved in RL drama and I can't write because of that.
I wouldn't call it Lack of Muse or Writer's Block. I would call it Real Life Is More Important Than RPing. Of course you don't have to post if you have been involved in RL drama. Rest, take care of your life, and leave this guide.

Q: How do you deal with Lack of Muse?
Here we go!

• Creating a Character. When you're creating a new character, you're certainly giving them a background. I have seen some perfect backgrounds which are written like a novel, and then I have seen quite raw ones. Both are acceptable, though. Here's why: if you give your character enough background, you become more and more interested in RPing with them. On the other hand, if you don't give them too much of it, you are free to do whatever you want to with the character. There is only this little thing between them when you give a character quite a good background, but not something like a novel, and then you may be stuck. You may not, but I would say then the chances are far greater.

• Find Your Perfect Writing Time. So let me get this straight. Every writer needs a time when they're the most relaxed, the most inspired. Some tend to have this time at night, some at morning. Heck, some people write all day long. It varies. But it's important to find the time when you're able to post and when you're inspired. For me, it's the Sunday mornings before 10 o'clock. See, I am not too inspired for the most of the week.

• Find Your Perfect Writing Ritual. I am not talking about having to cast a spell on yourself, but more about what you do either during, before, or after writing a post. See, some people drink coffee and it relaxes them, keeps them inspired. Some have the same effects on tea. Some have it one a different drink. So they should put drinking into their writing ritual. However, a few aren't inspired by drinks at all. They shouldn't have drinking in their ritual. And then there are so many other wonderful things like giving yourself rewards after posting or promising yourself that if you don't post, you have to go outside or whatever else. Personally, I prefer drinking coffee during writing. But at the same time, I sometimes check what's going on in the forum at the same time. That is my ritual.

• Silence or Music? This is a really important question. There is nobody to answer it besides yourself. A group of people don't like listening to anything while writing, some do. Some may even listen to nature voices during writing. It's just a question of what person you are. Try to find what's best for you. Try complete silence, partial silence, coffee shop noise, listening to instrumental, listening ot nature sounds, being in nature (what?), vocal music, whatever. Then after that, try to remember that every time you write. And do the same thing every time you write. When it comes to me, I must say the thing some authors say ("Music with lyrics is bad for creativity") is bantha poodoo. Really, I feel the most inspired when I listen to such music. Another thing about me is that I try to choose the music which is the best for the specific thread. If it's a sad one, I try to find a really sad song. If it's happy, I listen to something happy. It's as simple as it could be.

• Now we get to the real deal. DRAMA! Yes. Drama is a known reason for Lack of Muse, I know. But it's, to be honest, the most curable Lack of Muse I have ever seen. Really, if drama rises, a person must handle it, but not immediately getting angry and reporting somebody. I am talking about diplomatic conversations. If there is drama, you all should calm down and then get together to talk about what happened. Have a civilised discussion of the drama and try to find its reason. Sometimes, the real problem is lack of diplomatic conversation and misunderstanding of the other members involved. If things get too out of hand, ask an RPJ to clear things up. Most of the times, if you really want to get free of drama, just try to understand others and have a dicussion with them. Gheez, actually, don't even cause drama. It's not that easy, but seriously, if you remain positive and peaceful and make others do the same, life becomes a lot better.

• Getting even deeper. RPing. Now, this over here is my final point. I must say these are not the only things which are needed to successfully write, but everybody has to find them themselves. Really, all I can say is that everybody is unique and everybody should be respected because of that. Have your own ways of doing things, stay out of trouble, and enjoy whatever you do. My real last point, however, is the deepest I have ever brought up in my posts, either OOC or IC. This is: RPing. Forum-based/D&D/whatever RPing is not about controlling your character. If you think it is, then get out of here really quick. RPing is about letting your characters be who they are. Don't try to make them do anything, but go with that they would do. Anything you force on them makes your own life more difficult. But if you follow your unconsciousness, your character, you can write the most epic story anybody has ever written, and most likely never suffer from Lack of Muse. I know sometimes it's difficult to understand what does your character want and what do you want. But here is my advice: just write. Don't care about anything. Write down without thinking. RPing is not thinking, but writing. If you ever feel like you have to think in a simple social thread, get out of here. You're not a RPer. Oh, wait... That was a bit extreme. Sorry. Really, if you write without thinking, you write a part of you into your text. But that's what truly matters. Your characters are not separate entities. They are a part of you. Enjoy them, love them. And stay away from drama.

• Take a Break Once in a While.

So this was my humble guide to Lack of Muse. This is mostly personal, but the three last points are advice to everybody. Stay away from drama (or if it happens, try to fix it peacefully), and write what your characters do, not what you want them to do. Don't choose when to write, but force yourself to write using these principles, and don't forget to take a break.

Keep in mind, your characters are a part of you. If you don't think about your writing, you automatically include a part of you in the text. And that is what should actually happen.

Good luck, mu sõbrad, at dealing with Lack of Muse. I hope you really learned something from it. I am expecting you all to pray to the Squirrel God now. I mean... #ThisCommunityRocks. And so do you - a simple part of it.

Goodbye for now. You're all awesome! :)

THIS. This is wonderful and I thank you so much for taking the time out type it all up.

I've been in and out of the RPing world for about twelve years now, and there's not a stitch of this that isn't accurate.

All the internets for you, [member="Maria Natalja"]!

Wicked Witch of Schwartzweld
All true. I agree. Especially the drama and how it can effect your inspiration. And the music with lyrics bit. I have playlists for particular characters because certain songs just fit them, they're not one genre and they're both with and without lyrics. And sometimes, I just have music that suits me and not the characters that gets my fingers moving.

One thing though about character creation I've learned - let your character grow. My inspiration sometimes falls when a character is stuck and isn't going anywhere. Like with real people. Ruts are a nasty place. Just like it doesn't help when you get in rut, it doesn't help them either. Sometimes it's okay when you take that break to just let your mind wander on where the character could go. My mind takes me in all sort of places then, I end up surprising myself. The idea was wonderfully said by a Croatian author: There is something writers have and accept but readers often forget - the characters very often have their own will once they're formed, when they become plastic, visible on your own stage. They often break out of the writer's will. When characters gain the autonomy, they become demanding, stubborn and refuse to listen. Basically, it just helps me to let them run wild in my head sometimes, let my imagination run wild without there being a thread to reply to. It's usually those characters I'm most inspired to write.

Now, where's this squirrel god?

Curupira Hawk said:
All true. I agree. Especially the drama and how it can effect your inspiration. And the music with lyrics bit. I have playlists for particular characters because certain songs just fit them, they're not one genre and they're both with and without lyrics. And sometimes, I just have music that suits me and not the characters that gets my fingers moving.

One thing though about character creation I've learned - let your character grow. My inspiration sometimes falls when a character is stuck and isn't going anywhere. Like with real people. Ruts are a nasty place. Just like it doesn't help when you get in rut, it doesn't help them either. Sometimes it's okay when you take that break to just let your mind wander on where the character could go. My mind takes me in all sort of places then, I end up surprising myself. The idea was wonderfully said by a Croatian author: There is something writers have and accept but readers often forget - the characters very often have their own will once they're formed, when they become plastic, visible on your own stage. They often break out of the writer's will. When characters gain the autonomy, they become demanding, stubborn and refuse to listen. Basically, it just helps me to let them run wild in my head sometimes, let my imagination run wild without there being a thread to reply to. It's usually those characters I'm most inspired to write.

Now, where's this squirrel god?
Exactly. This Croatian author was a wonderful person. Now I am sure "stopping thinking about what your character does and just writing" is a real thing. Thank you! :)

Thurion Heavenshield said:
*offers treats to the tiny squirrel* ^_^
This little Squirrel takes the treats.

[member="Curupira Hawk"] | [member="Jay Scott Clark"] | [member="Ven'Rain Sekairo"]

Good, good... My plans are going well... *plots evil things*

Anyways, thank you all for the kind words. This guide is heavily influenced by people of this board and without you, I wouldn't have even made it. Thank you for showing your lack of muse, thank you for the suffer you may have gone through during the times you are under the tyrannical rule of this stupid terroristic state of no inspiration. Now we can all learn and discover what makes us inspired and live a happy life of prosperity and good writing and *the positive sentence continues endlessly*... :)

Thank You!

This was awesome, I have been experiencing a lot of writer's block lately but that is because I stay up all night on this site, so I might actually go to sleep tonight.
probably not but it would be a good thought if I did, awesome guide by the way :)

Turin Val Kur

T
I find updating your character sheet helps as well. Not just the biography but what sort of skills he or she has learned (if you keep track of those) change up your strengths and weaknesses every once in a while. Updating your strengths and weaknesses shows character growth and brings a sense of satisfaction. Even if you don't know where the character is going, its good to see that they are going somewhere

Evasion Studios
This is well thought out, and detailed. I always appreciate those that dedicate the time to help the board, and help writers specifically with obstacles that block their path of the written word. One thing I would make mention of that has helped me grow as a writer, is finding the right partner. Someone who can inspire you, and it -has- to be mutual in my opinion. Finding someone whose writing inspires you, and your own reply inspires them. It's a thing of beauty - and it has yet to afford me a bout of writers block when I find that. It's not very often you'll find this however, it's a rarity - but that is what makes it so special. To be completely honest, when I am considering writing with someone, I will often check on their previous threads and make a decision based on that if threading with them will inspire me, or (to be frank) bore me. I don't criticize, I simply investigate to see how it's going to affect my muse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom