Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion Mandate: Momentum Push

I want to add a disclaimer that I know right now Site Staff isn't really considering Mandate ideas at the moment, and I'm fine with that. Just wanted to put an idea that's been bouncing around in my head down on paper -- or electronic screens, lol. But without further a-do:

Momentum Push
"An object in motion, will stay in motion unless acted upon." - Isaac Newton
  • Strength: If this faction wins an invasion, any subsequent invasion launched against the same major faction, or a counter-invasion launched by the defending major faction after the initial invasion results have been declared within a maximum period of 60 days will have a decreased participation requirement for the invading faction by 20 posts, and a decreased participation requirement in any counter-invasion launched by the defending major faction within the same period of time. This strength can stack with multiple consecutive invasion victories.
  • Weakness: If this faction loses an invasion, the defending major faction may launch a counter-invasion against the initiating faction with a decreased posting requirement of 25 posts. Any loss of invasion will 'reset' the decreased participation requirement for the major faction utilizing the mandate.

This mandate may need a little tuning, particularly around the exact post counts that are required, but essentially Momentum Push is designed to lead to more invasions, more chaos, and be a potential safeguard (or just a little buff against) writer burnout in invasion-packed faction wars.

The function of the mandate is pretty simple: if a Major Faction with the mandate wins an invasion, a subsequent invasion launched against the same defending faction within a reasonable period will require fewer posts from the invading Major Faction to be eligible for judging; in my suggestion, I make that decrease by a margin of 20 posts. If a major faction is really on a roll, then this effect could stack multiple times. However, if a Major Faction with this mandate loses any invasion, then the previously-defending Major Faction can counter-invade with a decreased requirement of their own, on a scale that is slightly larger (this is because this is a counter invasion, and the Major Faction launching this counter invasion can only benefit once from the mandate's weakness).

I do think that there currently are two big flaws with this suggestion:

1. Current Posting Requirements: Current posting requirements require only 100 posts from either faction; if a faction with this mandate wins, say, 3 invasions in a row, then with the current numbers of the mandate a Major Faction would only need 40 posts to be eligible for judging. This is partially solved for by the fact that a Major Faction would need to win multiple invasions against the same opponent multiple times, and any loss sets their decreased post requirement back to zero. Another potential solution is raising the base bar for posts needed in an invasion to count for eligibility, but I see this as a very narrow possibility.

2. Participation:
  • Participation. An invasion is a story of conflict between two factions, and the participation of both factions will contribute to their chances for victory. This does not include the total contribution of posts from one faction as compared to another, nor the total amount of individual writers from one faction as compared to another. This does include, but is not limited to, the level of consistent activity of both factions throughout the course of the thread, the interaction between members of both factions with the opposition from the start of the invasion to the end, the steady responses between writing partners made in a reasonable frame of time, and the amount of cooperation and teamwork between members of each faction to achieve their goals.
The participation judging category would need to take into account the mandate if, say, a faction is only working with a 60 minimum post versus a faction working with a 100 post minimum. Ultimately it is and should be up to the judge's discretion, because having a lower minimum count wouldn't be an excuse to have a subdued presence an invasion, nor would it force them not to or bar them from doing so. In a way it almost becomes an inherent weakness of the mandate, because by nature, the less posts a faction in an invasion makes, the easier it will be for them to lose in certain categories.

Anyways, there are my Kiffthoughts out on the table. This mandate was inspired sort of by momentous pushes and military campaigns in real-world history and being some sort of OOC thing where it rewards good writing and hard work, and takes a bit of the strain off while still leaving the challenge of winning invasions in it. What do you all think?

It is a bit wordy, and it could lead to really weird edge cases where after five invasion victories the invading faction would have a post minimum of zero... which is just too weird lol.

I'll respond later with more expressive thoughts.

Good disclaimer, btw ;)

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
I like this idea in theory. Writer burnout and extended campaigns go together like Chaos and salt mines. I don't know that it would be a good idea to make it indefinite though. Maybe capped to three invasions, and then a mandatory break? Reducing the post requirement is nice, but there's more to burnout.

I'm not a fan of this, personally (if I'm understanding it right- please correct me if I'm not, haha). Even if we capped at 3 as Rusty Rusty suggested, if a faction won 3 invasions in a row, that would mean 40 post count invasions- that's less than half a dominion if both sides were to contribute equally (which isn't usually the case, but still, 40 is really low- shouldn't be a challenge at all for an active major). With the invasion buff that just happened, I don't think it's necessary to add this HUGE strength right now- because say someone did hit that 40 post requirement with this mandate, they could see up to 4 cloud take with little effort (if they were bordering and had contagious, being the contingents).

I also think this might be difficult for staff to track logistically? Would probably require a post to the map update thread for the mandate itself every time a faction needed it modified.

I will say, however, that this idea is supa_creative, so kudos for that! The concept was solid, I just think practical application falls short rn- but chaos is an ever changing thing, so maybe this applies sometime in the future?

Kiff Brayde Kiff Brayde

Last edited:
I like the idea of this Mandate, but Invasions barely scraping by the post requirements are quite rare; the few cases I've seen have usually featured the defender as the one struggling to mount the required activity, which would have likely resulted in a win for the invader anyway.​

I don't really see a Faction being a serial invader if it can't even muster that amount of activity.​

Still, it's a creative idea I'll give you that - and some sort of momentum-based Mandate could be fun. Did Ryv Ryv maybe suggest something like that once too, or am I thinking of something or someone completely different?​

Edit: Take Contagious Assault; ideally a momentum-based Mandate should be stronger with the right build-up, but riskier and require more work.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Disclaimer is yum.

2 cents. Burnout for me isn't really about total post count though. It's more personal than that. For me, It's about post intensity in a short period of time. Like, reply in 48 hours or you get skipped, kinda thing. I might reply only five times in an invasion. Total. But it will be five replies in the space of four or five days, which is like, bleh. Anxiety. Ya know.

Good idea. Doesn't tickle my personal interest though. Fun idea. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom