Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major Faction Activity Checks.

So, I’ve been noticing a little trend that has me… apprehensive in regards to the Major Faction game. I’m speaking, of course, of the nebulous monthly activity checks that I’ve heard about from fellow Faction Owners. Other than the requirements for actually becoming a Major Faction, it seems that there isn’t something set in stone regarding how to sustain that Major Faction status.

Thus, spearing to the heart of the matter, is there some “minimum requirement” that each Major Faction must meet, or are they each held up to different standards that won’t be open to public purview?

I am just asking for future clarification purposes.

Thanks in advance for your time regarding this subject. :)

Generally, it's held to a "collective average of all Major Factions" check. If everyone's participating at near the same level or higher, Staff is kosher. It's a constantly changing variable, which is why it can be confusing and isn't well written out because I don't wish to hold it to some hard standard - this gives us more flexibility, as Staff, when working with the Faction Leaders.

If we had hard rules on the matter, we'd have to constantly rewrite them and update, and there would be a sort of Doom Clock hanging over each Leader's head.

I've always hated hard numbers in a game of imagination, but for example, let's take a look at how this month would go:

It'll be assumed that the larger Major Factions will pass unheeded. CIS, TSE, ORC, OSJ - they're probably going to do fine.

Newer factions also tend to do fine, unless they were struggle bus's coming in the gate. I assume BS will do fine, lots of momentum behind that one coming in. BRY might be fine too, though they didn't make as big a splash and I haven't seen as much advertising out the gate.

It's the smaller factions that haven't had much surges we tend to worry about. CIC I think has already folded of their own accord, CC I would worry about a smidge since I haven't heard much of. Same for CP. These two stand the highest chance of "being the outlier" by a far margin.

That's when Staff steps in. When an Administrator conducts the activity check, and notices an outlier, it's reported back to Staff and if the Head Admin deems it necessary, we construct a vote. That's when things get official.
Usually, we'll work with you on it, unless your Major Faction Owner is abrasive and uncooperative. Then we just continue to force things the official route.

Activity Checks are a reminder that you can't just do nothing and expect to be on the map, but they're not the most common way Major Factions end up punching out.

TL;DR:

Just roleplay, entice and inspire your Faction to rp together, and send us your rps at the end of the month each month.

You'll get silence, a warning, or the axe.

Silence is good. The best, actually.

A warning = hey, we just noticed you slippin, we're gonna talk to you more about it.

The axe = Eh, nothing changed since the warning, and we didn't see any real effort to try. Maybe leading a Major isn't the right fit for you now, or maybe this Major idea isn't panning out the way you wanted it to.

[member="Tefka"]

So, are advertisements genuinely considered an important part of a Factions activity? I see it noted in the summarisation you quoted though previously I imagined Activity Checks would fall down to dominions, and the activity of roleplay threads.

Just curious how important they actually are.

[member="Tathra Khaeus"]

They're not judged by Staff, if that's what you're asking. Well, not officially. It might help if you're against the ropes and about to get the axe, though.

Intent always matters with Staff. We're human, you're human. If you're hurting as a faction but trying your damnedest, we're going to want to work with you.

Unofficially, advertising is a no brainer. You can do it directly or indirectly. I used to advertise by way of Mando Magazine. They never screamed "come join us", but they were just funny little one-offs of creative content that put my faction in your head. Brand recognition, and all of that. If you're not doing it, you must be a top faction already who already put in their time of advertising and just generates enough word-of-mouth advertisement to gain people passively.

There's more incentive to join a big faction than there is to join a new faction, because big factions have more longevity and most people want to know you're not gonna disappear overnight without them dedicating a crapton of time to you. So smaller factions are forced to, rightfully so, advertise.

"we're going to want to work with you."

To keep us on topic of the OP's question, this is why I don't encode hard rules into this community concerning this stuff. Hard rules usually tell me how I have to indulge a situation. In their absence, I afford the Administration leeway in their decisions.

For example, if you're a positive impact on the community and we see you hurting as a faction, but you're trying your damnedest despite failing a second activity check - at least one Admin is going to note it when we go to vote.

Each Admin inputs their opinion in their votes, usually. And sometimes those opinions can sway the entire team, or entice Valiens or myself to utilize a veto. I don't often see it happen, most of the team is usually on the same page. But it could mean extending the life of a Major Faction, so as a Faction Owner, if I really cared I'd exhaust all options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom