Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lucasfilm Canon Overhaul

Verz Horak said:
Vader should do a hostile takeover of Disney.
I believe he's otherwise occupied...

tumblr_n4du9ew5I21s4csflo1_400.gif

tumblr_n4q9eoqoR51rkct3lo1_500.gif

I am not okay with this.

Just putting that out there.

DISNEY STOP FETHING WITH THE CANON! OVERWRITE WHAT MUST BE OVERWRITEEN BUT NO MORE, YOU ETERNAL AND EVERLASTING KARKS!

'Kay I'm done.

Gavin Ovmar said:
Lets be realistic. Disney said we are not pouring through all of that EU to make movies. *stamps non canon.*
Exactly. Just like the Avengers movies made their own canon and continuity, so it has to be here. The EU is a morass of good and bad stories, and trying to change some of it and keep other bits would mean even more mess and disruption.

Keep in mind, this is not a sudden change practically. Not even the Lucasfilm Story Group is sure on how to play things out in the future. Essentially, the continuity of what was the Expanded Universe will be gone. With the new movies coming out, the history of post-ROTJ Expanded Universe will naturally be wiped out. Yet, a lot of the things and planets and species from the Expanded Universe will be adapted into the new, singular Canon.

Bottom line: Legends is not simply disappearing. This move is to allow for new licensed Star Wars material to go forward in creating new material without having to worry about meticulously following a conflicting and disjointed Expanded Universe. Legends is now a resource to pull ideas from for future Star Wars material - but not a part of the continuity itself.

An example of this would be Yuuzhan Vong and Thrawn appearing in the new trilogy yet the events of Heir to the Empire and New Jedi Order never happened according to the movies.

With Star Wars RP Chaos being set in a time after a massive dark age, this works well for us. Characters would logically not know much about the history of the galaxy before the Gulag Plague, yet a lot of the planets and species from the Expanded Universe are still out there for us to use.

We will know more about how Lucasfilm will be treating the new Canon when the upcoming novels come out. We will also know in the upcoming months for sure whether or not everything in the Expanded Universe will be branded under Legends - Lucasfilm officials at the moment are erring on the side of caution and telling people to assume everything will be Legends.

Understand, too, that this decision and many of Lucasflim's decisions aren't directly caused by Disney. I find it hard to believe that Disney's executive board cares about what is and isn't canon. Their goal is to make money off of licensed Star Wars works and merchandise. Kathleen Kennedy, the President of Lucasfilm, probably doesn't even care. This is a decision brought forth by the Lucasfilm Story Group and those a part of the group - one of whom was always a strong supporter of the idea that the films and TCW are the only ironclad Canon and that Expanded Universe is simply a resource for them.

My only thoughts on this is that Disney owns the company, they are allowed to do what they must to achieve the end product, and if that means stamping non canon on the events of the EU then they have the right and authority to do so. What does it matter in the end result anyways, we are based off already questionably canon stuff before this, so none of it being canon really shouldnt effect us in the least. Think of our events like an EU book now, we are non canon based of the other non canon shit, and we are likely to remain in such a way for the rest of the time unless the Admins decide to push the forum to a more canon path.

Okay, fair enough.

I'm just mad they got rid of the canon. Which means Mara Jade, Jaina/Jacen/Anakin/Ben/etc, and Boba Fett coming back after he got eaten by a sarlacc.

Gilamar Skirata

The most important step is always the next one
Daella Apparine said:
As new Star Wars material is released though, Wookieepedia will be updating itself accordingly. Four novels are to be released within a year - and any material that it contains will overrule any previously published Expanded Universe material.
This bit, what does it mean exactly? When these books come out...As an example of what I'm afraid will happen:

• One of the new books comes out and mentions Krayt Dragons, but says they are only one meter long and herbivores. Will that change krayt dragons on the site?
  • Or say they mention songsteel, but it's as durable as durasteel. Will that make songsteel a weaker material on the site?
  • Or will we continue to play by "legends canon"?
(I know it's a pretty drastic thing but these sort of contradictions and said contradictions changing things on the site is what worries me)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom