Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion Linguists and polyglots?

One thing I love about Star Wars is how normalized it is to speak or understand multiple languages. Pretty common for Sith to know some ancient Sith language, or for a spacer to understand some Huttese etc. But beyond that, I always enjoy running into especially multilingual characters, particularly when it's one of their core/defining strengths/traits/ways they engage with the galaxy.

Got any characters along those lines? I'd love to hear about it.

Being a fiend for ancient and esoteric knowledge, Ostanes has a gift for languages. You try performing an arcane ritual after translating it into basic via three other languages. Best to know the native tongue!

Sadly, it seems so common in Star Wars it's not something I've gotten a chance or had a desire to emphasize honestly.

That's a good point — the downside of normalization is mundanity. Put another way, while folks might look askance at a new character that knows 25 precisely listed ultra Force abilities, nobody really bats an eye if a bio lists a bunch of languages — they don't 'cost' anything. So the 'multilingual as core characteristic' route is easy to pick but not...flashy.

will you sink down to me?
Hey, now that you mention it...

Damsy's picked up a couple languages pretty nonchalant-like over her plotlines: Kaminoian, Basic, Mando'a, ur-Kittât. That's not a lot in the grand scheme of the galaxy, but being able to connect with each has been a pivotal part of her exploring different parts of her that she hadn't really known before. Maybe that's a little of what you're getting at, at least from a characteristic perspective?

The Goidels (Woads, Highlanders and Tuaths) of Galidraan III are raised bilingual, and in some cases, trilingual as well.

Erskine Barran actually speaks more than four different languages, though admittedly two are different dialects within the one lingual family.

Native - Carrack-Goidelic
Tuath-Goidelic

Other First Language - Galactic Basic

Secondary Languages - Mantellian (beginner-middling) + others. May add Mando soon.

Joycelyn was always written as a polyglot with multiple languages in her upbringing. She speaks Epicant with her father and Vahla with her mother, with a lot of code-switching in between. In addition, she learned Imperial Basic early on as part of her basic education, but has a distinct accent. Later she learned Ur'kittat as part of her training in the Sith from age 12 and on. On the way, she also picked up a simple, but functional Huttese and Mando'a.

Ihsan definitely has a few languages under his belt. Specifically, Galactic Basic, Echani (both original and Thyrsian dialect), and Mando'a. I try to stick to languages that would make sense for my characters. Considering he is Thyrsian, but his father was a Mando foundling, it makes sense that he'd know those. He is also mildly conversational in several other common languages found within New Imperial Space, but only just enough to get by when needed.

Another character of mine, Darth Machinus Darth Machinus , is a bit of a polymath/renaissance man, so languages come pretty easily to him. The ones he uses the most are Galactic Basic, Sith (various dialects), Minnisiat, Huttese, and Droidspeak, simply because those are the ones he uses the most (for business reasons). That being said, he would likely tell you that he knows much more than that.

i have no clue what's happening
buck the trend, make a piece of spacer trash who still miraculously only speaks basic

also make them force sensitive but with 0 concept of what the force is even with Jedi trying to explain it to them

this is the way to true RP enlightenment

please ignore the part where all my other characters speak multiple languages like a sane galactic citizen would

Last edited:

Noah Corek

Cocked, Locked and a Smoking Barrel
Factory Judge
Even though I don't usually roleplay him as such usually Noah is actually very well educated, having a Master's in History and a Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering. He also speaks about seven languages and understands two more.

For my characters, I try to keep the number of languages they are fluent in at roughly 2-3, generally no more than that. I think being intragalactic frequent flyers who visit new planets a lot, some degree of multilingualism is to be expected and is arguably, necessary. That said, the obvious exception to that rule is my HRD, who knows millions!
grinning-face-with-sweat_1f605.png

Quinvee Dogen

Q
Quin can speak Sith, which even for a scholar of Force Orders I feel is pretty rad. But he also speaks a bunch of trade languages, languages of peoples who have had significant relationships with the Jedi or Sith.

In other words he's my Wookiepedia dump character.

Kathol Technical Academy certificate in comparative linguistics and first contact protocols. He can speak most trade languages and picks up basic vocabulary quickly but he's not blessed with dozens of different species' native tongue or anything. Knows more widespread Outer Rim dialects than Core ones since Coruscant is at the ass end of the galaxy from his homeworld.

I actually try to avoid this - usually for the sake of realism/not wanting to give my character a ton of random skills for no apparent reason. But with Star Wars, where knowing multiple languages is more the norm than the exception, I do it just because I enjoy the wacky hijinks that result when two people can't understand each other.

Kai's main form of communication is telepathy, but he can't really communicate that way if the receiver is not Force sensitive. It's also led to some interesting situations where people have objected to him being "in their head", even if it's just so that he can communicate with them comfortably, or complained about the overload of information being beamed directly into their brain.

That said, if it makes sense for the character to be a polyglot, I'm all for it. I have a droid character who is programmed to be fluent in hundreds of different languages, and Nimdok's native tongue is Shi'idese, which I depicted as being impossible for most species to produce the sounds of due to their vocal cords not being versatile enough. Xenolinguistics, my dude. It's sci-fi fantasy, go nuts with it.

Bunker-level Normal
I guess Daiya would qualify.

I try to keep her pretty grounded, and yet she still lives on what's basically a regional trading hub in the galaxy. So naturally there are going to be a lot of species mingling and talking in their native languages and emulating the Swiss polyglots just winds up being a way of life on Denon. That lends her to speak Basic fluently and Huttese passably, with a solid understanding of Shyriiwook, and probably a smattering of phrases or halting speech in one or two other trade languages just to get by.

Like Kai Bamarri Kai Bamarri I try not to go overboard unless it makes plot/character sense. Jerek might know more than Basic, though I could see him relying more on the Force and translators instead. Daiya growing up outside of a monoculture lends her to a few advantages here.

Siobhan, ironically, can speak a couple languages - Xio (Xioquo), Prosabia (Vashyada), Zandri (main Qadiri language, though not the only one), Eldarai (Eldorai) and some Huttese and Twi'leki. Firemane's essentially an overlord in many areas the elf races live in, so her making an effort to learn their main languages is a sensible strategy. Makes her seem less like the foreign imperialist she is. Plus Sio loves to show off.

She picked up Huttese because she lived on Nar Shaddaa when she was younger. She hasn't been anywhere where it would be the lingua franca for a long time, so she's probably rusty. I figure she's better at understanding than speaking it.

She shared memories with Mirien Valdier (RIP), a darkside adept and former Sith, and thus knows a bit of the ancient Sith language. However, I'd say she's far from fluent. Plus she's not an academic, so she's not going to be translating ancient Sith texts any time soon.

Elpsis would know a bit of Huttese due to her old smuggler/merc days. May be better at it than Sio, ironically. As a Firemane officer, she has various Tygaran elves in her platoon and in the company she belongs to, so she's learned some Zandri and Xio, though not well. She speaks both with a heavy Basic accent and mangles the grammar a lot. Enough to show that she's made an effort to learn about the people's language and culture, but she'd have to switch to Basic pretty soon. Elpsis can't read stuff unless it's in Braille or visible through the Force somehow, which I figure impacts her learning ability.

Amusingly, I could see Enyo knowing a couple. She definitely understands and can speak Huttese, and understands binary because she has lots of droids. I could see her understanding Shyriiwook. Maybe an obscure language or two that she learned because she liked the challenge. Not Eldarai - she doesn't like the silly space elves at all.

Due to essentially being a Terminatrix with a human brain, she doesn't get tired, require nourishment or sleep (she just has a one-hour period where she powers down), so she can work for a long time without pause. Archangel just wanted her to be a living weapon, so her makers didn't give her much of an education beyond what her role required. However, Enyo was written as being a bit of an autodidact after breaking from their control, going into libraries and stuff to educate herself.

Plus, while many of her mooks are droids, she has a crime syndicate full of people from diverse backgrounds under her. Would be IC for her to just study a bunch of languages at night to pass the time. Enyo could theoretically have them added to her mental interfaces...but prefers to learn them properly. I now have this image of Enyo signing up in online linguistics courses under an assumed name, and then annoying everyone because she's faster.

Darth Libertas' mother tongue would be Twi'leki/Ryl because Twi'lek. She would've learned Basic and, because she travels a lot on the fringe, and be good at Huttese And some of the Sith language because Sith, though I don't view her as someone who excels at translating ancient texts and the like. She's the Sith Warrior type, not a mystic or archaeologist. Maybe some obscure language she learned because she felt like it since it was challenging and the Sith code is all about overcoming one's limitations.

My other characters would be more limited. Basic would have been a foreign language for Kaida, Vaena and Xalda. They learned it after their people made first contact with the 'star people' and speak and understand it with varying degrees of proficiency. Kaida would be fluent because she served as an OP soldier for many years, with her mother tongue being Eldarai.

She's probably picked up a bit of Zandri and Xio since the Eldorai group she belongs to includes the 'cousins', too. Similar with Vaena, though she'd be less good at Basic and ironically better at Zandri than Kaida. For Xalda it would just be Xio and Basic. Her Basic is heavily accented, formal and kinda stilted. Picked up a few Qadiri words here and there, but that's it. As a former slave-soldier, Xalda grew up illiterate and only learned to read and write after being freed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom