Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Letters from Rudrig

@[member="Tirdarius"], @[member="Verie Lacroix"], @[member="Ashin Varanin"]

Dear Verie,

I was once told that it's bad luck to begin a letter with an apology, but I feel as though one is needed. I am sorry for my delay in responding to you, but lately it has been difficult finding the right place and time to do so.

The Sith Empire was expanding, and rapidly at that. In what felt to be a rather short period of time Dissero found himself entrenched in a battle for galactic dominion. Planet by planet, ship by ship, the Archivist had traveled in the wake of their battles - no longer necessary as a warrior, but now as a mind for the precious commodity of knowledge and history. Cataloging their escapades and their bounty, the recently named Master of Vaults had little time for personal pleasantries. His daily life consisted of travel and research and treasure hunting, and for a time he barely even knew what day it was let alone the fact that he had completely forgotten his own day of birth.

I have been ... busy, to say the least; traveling like I only ever once dreamed I would. I have been to Ossus and Mon Calamari, Serenno and Felucia and so many other places that I can no longer keep track. Sometimes I wake up and realize I've lost a week somewhere in the galaxy. I can't even tell you if the last meal I ate was breakfast, lunch or dinner. These last few months have been a blur and I have, regretfully, neglected my promise to you. But I am finished with excuses and I have good news: I've been promoted and will be stationed on the planet Rudrig.

The purple grasses of Rudrig's plains were ethereal in the midday sun. The way they swayed and dipped like a sea of violet almost made the non-native seasick if they stared to long. His condo afforded him a grand view of the meadows to the east and the University to the west. To the north was the silver-hued rise of the Lorigra Mountains and the future site of the Empire's Archival Vaults.

The University here is like nothing I've ever seen - it literally spans across the entire planet. You wouldn't believe the diversity of cultures and people here. I'm surrounded by some of the galaxy's most brilliant and talented beings. There's even a performing arts division and I know you would love it. I'm sending Mahet back to Kuat with this letter and extending an invitation to you. Come visit me here and tour the University - there's just so much to tell you that I cannot put in writing.

"As you are well aware by now, the planet of Rudrig, its System and Tion Hegemony have come under the direct control and influence of The Sith Empire. I am here today to put to rest any concerns you may have of war or invasion. As a direct Representative of the Empire I can assure you no such thing will come to pass. The Empress is much the devout scholar herself and would not liken to see this planet, its University or its resources scoured for something as petty as war. In fact, she wishes to see it progress and pushed to new heights. Under the rule of the Empire we will raise this campus from the bed of the Tion Hegemony and make it one of the premier Universities in the galaxy. I am here to Govern this transformation. You may call me Lord Dissero."

The Council of Scholars had been both baffled, fearful, and wary of his presence, but after much thought and consideration he found a direct presentation would be the least jarring. He could have played the facade of wealthy Imperial entrepreneur Domos Virago, but in the end having two faces and two lives would only hinder his work for the Empire. He couldn't afford to muddle in these things. No loose ends meant no crossed paths. The most difficult part, now, would be breaking the news to Verie.

I hope you will accept and that you pack for an extended stay. Some time away from home can be very refreshing.

Yours,
Merovign

"I've asked you here today to become part of a team that will lay down the foundations and design of the first Imperial establishment on this planet. You are the best your departments have to offer and I mean to put your skills to the test. The Hall of Archives will become the new Archival database for the Empire much like Coruscant, and will become the hub for information and data storage. It is the first step to making Rudrig a key to the mechanism that is the Empire, and in return your efforts may be handsomely rewarded. The Empire is always in need of skilled artisans as it expands across the stars."

The gathering within the lecture hall was far larger than Dissero had anticipated, but he supposed when he sent out the summons to the Professors to send in their best and brightest he should have known that an entire planet would turn out more than a few dozen. It was all the better in the end - this was the easiest step to influencing the Scholars. By bringing those at the top of their class in for some extracurricular projects it would help disseminate the intent of the Empire without the need of tyrannical shows or intrusive media displays. He would win their favor by making them part of something great. Opportunity, he found, was one of the best rewards he could offer.

Verie Lacroix

V
Verie Lacroix had never received a hand-delivered letter before. She was approached by the familiar Mahet as she emerged from her speeder car following a doctor's appointment, favoring the leg that had hosted her broken ankle but walking without crutches or the cast, and he pressed the letter into her palm. He was gone by the time she looked up from the writing on the front of the envelope. The return address listed a planet she had barely heard of, but she knew just from the delivery who it came from. Casting a glance around the courtyard, she found herself more or less alone, save for the doorman, and without any further hesitation, she crossed to the door and entered the apartment building.

It was no surprise that her mother was still at work. She would likely not return home from the shipyard until the weekend. Verie seized the silver letter opener from the sideboard in the hall of the apartment and slit the envelope, withdrawing the letter from its packaging an unfolding it. She read it once, quickly, feeling her stomach tighten with anticipation, and then read it again more slowly. Stationed on the planet Rudrig... Come visit me here... pack for an extended stay. Well, that was taking some liberties considering how long it had been. Still...

Five minutes later she found herself on the comm with a travel agent. A ticket to Rudrig was rather reasonable, something that Verie could afford from her savings that she had collected while dancing with the ballet. A few moments later she had finalized the transaction and the reality of what she was doing set in. She hadn't even consulted her mother -- this might have been the best part -- and she was about to travel across the galaxy to visit Merovign on this mystery University planet of his. It was all rather exciting, but she couldn't help but caution herself to temper her excitement with a healthy dose of reality. These aristocratic types were mercurial at best, her mother always said, so it wouldn't do to expect anything.

After packing a large suitcase and a smaller satchel, Verie pulled a piece of her stationary from her desk drawer and jotted the following note:

Merovign,

Thank you for your kind invitation. I have booked passage on the Corellian Queen liner to Rudrig. Enclosed find my room number and arrival schedule. If convenient, please send information about where to go once I arrive. I don't anticipate walking around the airport shouting your name will do me any good. I would write more, but there is much to do and little time before I must leave for the starport.

Hoping to see you soon,
Verie N. Lacroix

The letter safely dispatched, Verie left her mother a note stating she was staying at the ballet corps to have better access to the occupational therapists there and then carried her bags back down to the street, where she hailed a cab for the starport. It was probably unbelievably foolish to go running across the galaxy, but Verie Lacroix thought that she had always been responsible -- perhaps too responsible. It was time for a little recklessness.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
Dissero,

I'm told you've won over the academics of Rudrig, to some extent, and that the construction of your most secure facilities is underway. With this letter, I've enclosed a package: Two holocrons which were once very important to me. You are their caretaker now.

The first is the holocron of Darth Vectivus. Apart from insights into finance and business, it contains only the Force Phantom technique, which may be beyond you. I could be wrong. Either way, if any Sith Lord expresses interest in it, please consult me first.

The second is known as the Skull Holocron, for obvious reasons. Yes, the casing is alchemically hardened human bone. The gatekeeper projects itself through the eye sockets. The gatekeeper speaks in archaic dialects, and its knowledge of alchemy is unparalleled. Furthermore, though most gatekeepers are mere recordings of their makers, this one contains the maker's spirit. Tread lightly.

Do write back and let me know how your affairs progress. Also, it will soon become politically necessary for me to turn the bulk of the remaining Tion Cluster over to Sirella Valkner. You, as governor of Rudrig, will answer to her, but the archives and your role as Master of Vaults are both beyond her authority. You wear two hats; be careful not to mix them up.

Desmius

@[member="Ashin Varanin"]

Empress Desmius -

Knowing how valuable items such as these can be, I am very honored to receive them. Rest assured they are in good hands and will remain secure should you ever have want of them again. Thank you.

We have broken ground and will commence the first stage of construction for the new Archives. I will be sure to notify you when they are ready for your inspection.

When the time comes for Lady Vaulkner to take charge of the Tion Cluster I would be grateful for notification. All efforts will be made to ensure a smooth transition to her tenure of the sector - I will make sure not to trod on too much purple grass here on Rudrig.

~ Lord Dissero

Though the Lurigra Mountains were not particularly high, the winds at their peaks were quite strong. The northeastern air currents traveled down the funnel of the Lurigra valley, gaining momentum as it curved first southward to pick up the heat of the great lake and then blasted further east until it reached the coastline. Here on the northface the winds were cool and constant, making it necessary to dress in layers. Dissero favored the robes baring the green of the Pillar of Knowledge and traveled with an entourage of fellow Knowledge Acolytes. They were here to orchestrate the construction of the Archives while he tended to his diplomatic ventures at the University. Today however he had made the trek into the peaks to check on the progress. Things were looking good: they were ahead of schedule and well on their way to finalizing the base structure. The mining and excavation of the mountain had been of some concern for him due to rumors from the Scholars of the Lurigra peaks being particularly difficult to dig, but so far they had encountered no such problems. He remained optimistic.

"These plans are for your eyes only," he was standing in the Architect's tent with several hand-chosen contractors, excavators, Acolytes, and others, "you alone have proven your skill, trust, and worth to the Empire and will be enlisted to complete a separate set of tunnels to the east and west. These underground chambers will not be available on public record or blueprints and are to remain under wraps. You are to speak of these plans to no one outside of this tent - I will not repeat myself on this." There was certainly no need to verbalize a threat or to even raise his tone. These people knew who they dealt with. There had been no mysterious deaths or murders since his arrival, but there had been plenty of happily compensated workers. Dissero intended to keep the faith of these people with honey - the unwilling he would subject to smoke.

Verie,

I look forward to your arrival with great anticipation. I will make myself easy to find at the starport, so there will be no need to shout.

Merovign

The Governor smiled to himself as he stood waiting in the hall just beyond the arrival gate of the Corellian Queen. This particular starport on Rudrig was quite busy, especially since the inception of the Empire. The comings and goings of Imperial Acolytes was a daily thing, and though he knew their presence had initially put the people of Rudrig on edge, he found the starport employ to be quite amiable. There had been no change to the laws of the planet, including the one the people held most valuable: the prohibition of weapons. Dissero had made it perfectly clear to the arriving Acolytes and Imperials that they were to abide by this law - which was now law of the Empress, and no one wanted to break those rules. This alone put the planet's civilians at ease and had earned him that much more of their respect. He was well on his way to cementing his rule here.

All in all he was feeling pretty good about the way things were going. His plans were progressing nicely, he had what he believed to be the respect of the Empress, and now he would soon have the company of the young Lady who so often distracted his thoughts. The man's smile broadened as he thought about this ... and about the very large display of flowers he currently stood before. Easy to find indeed - Verie need only see the explosion of color to find him.

Verie Lacroix

V
Perhaps Dissero's letter was too enigmatic, Verie would think later. As she dressed to disembark the liner, she was thinking what it could mean -- easy to find? That could mean anything. When she had finished dressing in a conservative grey traveling suit (knee-length sheath dress and matching blazer), she sat at the cramped desk-cum-vanity and finished putting on her makeup. She chose light effects: a touch of gloss just a touch darker than the pink of her lips, a little eyeliner and neutral eyeshadow. Her mother would have called it a waste, to attempt to gussy up for a member of the aristocracy who probably barely remembered your name, but the way Verie saw it, it was armor. Each slight embellishment added to her confidence, made her feel more at ease.

And then she slipped into her shoes and stood up, and her weak ankle nearly buckled.

So much for confidence. She must remember to pace herself, to listen to her body, and at the moment her body was telling her that while the shoes were indeed gorgeous, the heels were a bit too high to wear with her ankle still healing, so she changed into a more conservative, black, low-heeled shoe before giving one last look around the place to be sure she had everything. She had barely unpacked on the liner--the voyage had only been overnight, after all--so she was in little danger of leaving anything behind.

Verie put her fancier shoes and makeup kit into her bag and closed then zipped it, then hauled it off the bed and over to the door. Messenger bag and purse over one shoulder, she carried the suitcase with both hands down the hall to where people were waiting to disembark. It seemed an interminable wait, but in reality she was through the lock in five minutes, and was passing what she assumed to be an enthusiastic lover -- or a wedding planner's assistant who had taken a wrong turn -- carrying one of the largest flower arrangements that she had ever seen. Turning to her left, away from the flowers, she scanned the disembarking area.

Then it hit her. He probably has a Noghri with him. That would stand out. But as she looked, she saw a multitude of races, diversity in excess, but she couldn't pick a Noghri out of the crowd.

The Governor watched with waning delight as the young Lady in question disembarked, approached, and then stepped right by. Hm, perhaps it was a bit too much out of character for him. Usually he was so subtle, so tasteful, and he had to admit this display was certainly over the top. Yet he reminded himself why he had done it - because he had broken a promise and a Shamalain's word was good till their death. Steeling himself and without missing any further beats, Dissero reached back and pulled several flowers from the nearest vase, tucked them behind his back and calmly crossed the distance between himself and Verie. He produced a single tiny blue flower from his selection and reached around from behind her, holding it up.

"For you, Miss," he said, "welcome to Rudrig. Can I help you find your way?"

Verie Lacroix

V
"You know, I really don't carry cash, I'm terribly--"

She stopped. It didn't sound like one of those monks that plagued spaceports everywhere. The voice was altogether too familiar. She turned and couldn't help but give a broad smile. "Merovign -- were you there the whole time? Oh, what a fool I was, I didn't even see you." The young woman looked down at the flower again and, smiling timidly, reached out to take it with her free hand, the other still clutching at her suitcase handle. It was a beautiful specimen, she reflected as she studied it for a moment before looking up to Merovign's face.

There was a moment of awkwardness where Verie wasn't sure what to say. She had never actually considered this moment in her plans. Her mouth suddenly went dry, and was it her imagination or was her suitcase handle getting slippery? After a brief moment of eyes shifting back and forth, she tried for an ice-breaking chuckle and said: "You look well. Are you? Um. Well, I mean?"

The Governor only grinned with quiet amusement in his eyes. He watched Verie closely as she took the flower and was instantly reminded of why he was so fond of her. Her often timid, demure nature had always been so refreshing after dealing with the gaff of politics and Darkside pomp. She was his bit of normalcy.

"I am very well," he replied warmly while reaching to gently take the hand in which she held the flower; he leaned down and kissed her knuckles before stepping around her. His other hand at her back, Dissero guided her back through the crowd of departing visitors and to his stand of flowers, "now, I believe I owe you about a thousand flowers, and just to be sure I brought you one-thousand-and-one. I counted them all this morning." Nodding, Verie was also presented with the remained of flowers in his left hand while his right hand snaked down to take the suitcase from her.

Verie Lacroix

V
"That's very kind of you," Verie said with another timid smile when he finally relinquished her hand. She had turned red enough to completely clash with the navy pinstripes in her suit jacket and she let her eyelids droop a little to hide the slightly glazed look they had adopted when he performed his courtly bow over her hand. "You don't owe--" she began, but fell silent as he began leading her through the crowd back towards the flower stand. There was such a variety and a staggering number that Verie had no trouble believing that there one-thousand-and-one blooms.

She bent at the waist and cupped a bloom to her face, inhaling the scent before turning to take the other blooms from Merovign. "Thank-- oh, you don't need to do that, I can-- oh, all right..." She pressed her lips together awkwardly and shifted her weight to her good leg, glancing to her left. "This is all so ... so much. And it's all so beautiful. I wasn't expecting... well. I wasn't expecting this," she finished quietly before leaning down to smell another variety of blossom. "Thank you, Merovign. I don't know what to say."

"So. You said you were stationed here?" Verie said. "In your letter, I mean. Not as a luggage porter, I hope. What a waste of your talents."

Yes, this was exactly why he had done it. There was just something so strangely wonderful about watching the poor girl squirm. He did enjoy ruffling her feathers - maybe a bit to much. The Governor chuckled and for the first time in several months felt the pleasure of good humor.

"Too much?" he smirked, head canting to one side as blue eyes trailed from her to the flowers, "it's probably too much, I'll admit, but well worth it." He sighed, turning a toothy smirk to the ceiling with a shrug before allowing it to fall back to Verie at her last statement. The Governor gave his company a questionable glance, "I am a man of many talents - I'll have you know my mother gave me plenty of practice porting luggage during our travels. The heavier the bag, the more character it built, and judging by the weight of your bag I'll be an entirely different person by the time we reach my apartment."

Actually her bag was quite light, though he wasn't sure if this was due in part to his own physical strength or if she hadn't packed for as long of a stay as he would have liked. "Why don't you keep these," leaning over he picked up the vase from which he had taken the handful of flowers and held it out for her to put those loose stems back into it, "and we'll leave the rest here for everyone else. I may be a great luggage porter but even I have my limits."

Verie Lacroix

V
Verie felt herself coloring at his quip; hadn't he said to pack for an extended stay? That could mean a week, or it could mean a weekend, or it could mean something more. Curse Merovign and his charmingly vague ways. "It can't be that heavy," she murmured. "I managed to carry it myself, and by the way it has wheels on the bottom and a handle if you'd rather tug it." And, so as not to injure his masculine pride, she added: "Although it looks like you're having no trouble with it this way..."

She noted as she placed the stems into the vase, then took it from him, that he hadn't really answered her question. Of course he wasn't a luggage porter, but he hadn't stated what he actually was. Some sort of professor, perhaps? He was young, but that had never stopped anyone. She studied him sidelong for a moment before realizing that she was staring, and she shifted the vase to her other arm.

"I didn't see much from the viewport before the shutters went down," Verie said conversationally. "But what I did see was beautiful. I read that the whole planet was covered in universities and institutions of higher learning -- and that nobody is allowed to carry weapons. How do they maintain security?"

Giving an easy smile despite her worry over the suitcase, Dissero waited for her to situate her other belongings before leading her down the busy terminal. The pair did not seem to gain nominal attention or otherwise - for this he was grateful. Dissero had spent a great deal of time planning his approach to seizing control of Rudrig and opted for something a bit more under the radar. There had been no sense in displacing the comfort of the masses with fear or anxiety of a Sith takeover. Only those that needed to know, knew.

"Approximately 76% of the planet is dedicated to the livelihood of education and the progress of knowledge," he nodded as they stepped out through the terminal exit and into the warm sun of Rudrigian summer. The purple plains of the valley mountainsides could be made out just beyond the starport limits. "The rest is devoted natural habitat and sanctuary," except for those mountains to the north, he thought to himself. Soon their peaks would house the greatest labyrinth of Darkside knowledge seen in a millenia.

Walking the line of waiting speeders and valets, Dissero passed a credit chit to the attendant before lifting Verie's suitcase into the back seat and opening the passenger door for her, "As far as security goes, the laws of Rudrig are shadowed by a very stringent and secure starliner scanning system in orbit around the planet, not to mention their starports have some of the best scanners implemented in all of Tion Cluster. It's very difficult to smuggle weapons in, but the Rudrigian Security Forces are quite good at finding and disposing of them quickly and quietly."

Without any further preamble, Dissero seated himself and brought the speeder around into the air traffic lanes. Soon they were streaking across the skies above the starport and out along the highlanes heading towards the first of many institute housing villages.

"Rudrig is a small, quiet planet that doesn't draw much attention from the galaxy at large. To be perfectly honest, I'd never even heard of it until I received my new assignment. Had you before receiving my letter?" He looked to Verie, brows raised in some curiosity. He was learning that the many larger universities across the galaxy did seem to have a web of connections that included Rudrig. Even his own mother, a worldly - ney, galactic woman at large, had barely recognized the name. He wondered if any of the other Masters of the Empire did aside from the one he would likely be answering to soon enough: Sirella Vaulkner. The Archivist's thoughts wandered momentarily to the letter written in the infantile hours of the morning. Would the renowned Archivist @[member="Tirdarius"] know of this small but curious little planet?

Lord Tirdarius -

In my last exchange with the Lady of Kuat, I was given your name to contact. Admittedly it took me some time to figure out why it was so familiar and then I remembered just where. Your efforts as an Archivist have been some of the many studies of my own and I have come to respect your opinion and knowledge as I have many other seasoned intellects of the galaxy over the years.

Before I get ahead of myself perhaps an introduction is in order: I am known as Lord Dissero, a Sith Knight of the Empire, first son of the Lady Silencia, long studied archivist and recently named Master of Vaults by the Empress Desmius. With my new title and duties to the Empire I was given the opportunity to establish a new location for my pursuit of knowledge and headquarters for the Archives of the Empire. I have chosen the planet Rudrig in order to surround myself with fellow scholars and institutes of all kinds and it is on this planet that I have begun construction of the new Hall of Archives.

Given your tenure and standing as a long-time Archivist I would greatly enjoy a meeting of the minds and your input on my latest project. Please let me know of your interest and subsequent availability.

Regards,
Lord Dissero

Verie Lacroix

V
Verie brought up a hand to shield her eyes from the sun, craning her neck to be see all she could see of Rudrig from the terminal entrance. Purple grasslands gave way to mountainsides beyond the starport, and the air smelled fresh and clear -- not in the scrubbed way that Kuat's air smelled fresh and clear. She stood there for several moments, warmed by the sun and breathing in environment before she realized that Merovign had pulled the door open for her. She gave a sheepish smile and walked over, slipping into the car and smoothing her skirt anxiously before setting the flowers on her lap and holding them firmly in place.

"It's beautiful," she confessed, hardly able to take her eyes off the surroundings as the speeder lifted off and into traffic. "But I'd never heard of it either, at least not that I can remember. Of course I did some research and found that any university that's any university has a connection with Rudrig's scholars. But it does seem something of a niche market, doesn't it? I'm sure the intelligentsia would recognize the name instantly, but those in other fields of work -- well, I'm not sure." She folded her arms protectively around her vase of flowers and glanced over at Merovign. Was he some sort of instructor here, at one of the universities? She had asked him already, and he hadn't given her a straight answer. She was about to repeat her query, but thought better of it at the last moment, instead nodding out towards the housing village approaching in the viewscreen.

"What's that?" she asked curiously, craning her neck to get a better look.

The letter hadn't required half of the words placed into it - the courteous phrases, the carefully-tailored expressions, all written there by a steady hand that knew and understood civility. It stood apart from the curt, concise, dispassionate missives that he often received from the others, people who felt themselves too busy or important to observe all the amenities, so often ignored in modern society. People were just so hasty. It never occured to any to simply sit and write a good letter. There's an artistry in that, something forgotten by the majority.

It all told him something about he who wrote it, though, perhaps even moreso than the words on the fine paper. The neat, slanted letters perfectly placed, each written with precision, the depth of the ink on the page speaking of sincerity and attention to detail. The words were set apart with a few millimeters of space between them, the lines consistent in the way they scrawled across the paper, no slant or accidental deviation from the straight course they had been set upon, even though the message had lacked any lines along it to guide the pen. That spoke of practice, an unerring eye for accuracy, and a preference for the tactile pleasures of writing by hand, in a time when the digital world had long since taken over.

Not that any of it had meant a damn. Her son had called, so of course he would answer.

Tirdarius had heard of Rudrig, of course - across the known Galaxy, it was known as a centre of learning, on par with the great University of Lorrd, or perhaps the great Repository of Obroa-skai. It's inclusion in the Empire had leant some considerable prestige to it's overlords, for they had not destroyed it, razed the planet to the ground in that boringly stereotypical fashion that the Republic had so often suggested was what Sith were there for, but rather had added to it and sought to maintain it, a place where science and scholarship were the sole religion. Yes, he knew of it. He had simply never had a cause to set foot there until now.

He had even thought to dress for the occasion - the stark black robes of a Sith Lord were more to intimidate and identify than was perhaps prudent on a planet like Rudrig, so he had instead chosen a tailored high-collared, thigh-length tunic with black boots, trousers and a soft sash that wrapped around the waist. The lightsaber that was the accoutrement of all Sith was conspicuously absent, left on Korriban. He had little use for it anyway, and here, it was simply a distraction. It was said no weapons were permitted here anyway, so far be it for him to ignore the laws. Not that I need obey, he thought, a thin smile gracing his features. Few would be so foolish as to try and take a weapon from a Sith Lord.

The planet was all he had expected it to be, and more besides: beautiful, in a pristine way, designed to attract and distract, easy on the eyes but formidable as a place where one might discover and learn, but also dare to take a risk, and try something new. It was an exemplar of the Imperial peace, a place where the chaos and turmoil of the larger galaxy rarely touched, perhaps but for a brief aside in the news broadcasts. It was a good place for a meeting, a choice well made. He'd make sure to tell this 'Dissero' of his approval.

His shuttle descended with the smooth precision of a practiced hand, his pilot being one of the better that had come forth from the Imperial Academy, one who had been destined to fly and die in one of the Empire's fighter pilots until he had been brought to the Sith Lord's attention. A mediocre fighter, but a born shuttle-pilot. Such talent could not be overlooked, and his removal from the Starfighter Corps had been worth every moment of bother. As the small vessel touched down on the smooth metallic surface of the docking platform, there was that hesitation, that moment where it sat in complete stillness, slowly powering itself down, a time when nothing at all seemed to be happening. Then the boarding ramp descended, and lay such thoughts to rest.

His boots gently ringing against the metal deck, Tirdarius strode down the ramp, stepped away from the metallic platform and out of the Spaceport entirely. There were the usual customs officers standing by, waiting to scan for weapons and check travel documents, but they wholly ignored him, wrapped up in the illusion that simply said I am not here, a technique he rather preferred. Bureaucracy is the price of a civilised society, but no Sith need ever truly be subject to it. He wasn't about to be delayed.

Stopping beyond the Spaceport, he took note of the purple grasses, the endless blue sky permeated only here and there by a fluffy white cloud, the sprawling mountains that overshadowed the city, a massive lethiathan fixed against the world, unable to move. Tirdarius nodded in gentle satisfaction, then closed his eyes, feeling the softness of a warm breeze carressing the pale skin of his face, his mind now reaching out to touch the energies of this place, relaxing his hold over them as he did so, the illusion that had cloaked him slowly lapsing away, a shimmering haze that washed away. His thoughts extended, he broadcast a simple, brief message, the way she had taught him once, the way that he knew that her son would recognise.

"You have called me, and now I am here," he thought calmly, hoping that the other Sith here had picked up his mother's particular talent for the telepathic arts. Had she been here, he knew that his Master would never have responded to a mere vocalisation. Perhaps her son shares those same scruples, he thought with amusement. As once did I. If so, he'll make himself known to me. Now he simply had to wait.

"The niche market is what allows it to survive. Here it is safe from the prying hands of governmental control and lead by the minds, not by the powers," Merovign replied to Verie, his easy gaze watching the mountains somewhat distractedly with those last words. Lead by powers unseen and vastly unknown, but wise enough not to interject. This brought the faintest of grins to the Governor's face just before Verie's query drew him from these thoughts.

"Those are housing villages," he said, leaning to look before turning his attention back to the traffic, "there isn't much space for housing developments so depending upon your status within the University there are different areas where you may reside. Professors, Specialists and those on the Council of Scholars who govern the school internally are given private homes in the plains. Resident scholars and permanent staff live in these villages while visiting students and guests stay in hostels or on-site dormitories. As the newest member of the Council, I was fortunate enough to have been offered a recently built home just near the base of those mountains."

He nodded towards the pale mountains in the distance, his expression proud. That had been the first time he'd referred to the placed as 'home' and the feeling it brought was good. While Kuat would always be a home to him, it was first and foremost his mother's world. Nothing he could do or accomplish there would ever mean much under her reign. Out here–even if it was by the approval of the Empress–this was his game, his design.

dupli-casa-villa1.jpg

The villa was one of the secluded few, set further out into the purple plains. It's stark white and black facade stood out against the sea of grasses, reflected in the gentle waves of the lake it sat against. Dissero brought the speeder around the topside to give Verie a look of the land before bringing to settle down on a landing pad in the back yard.

dupli-casa-villa5.jpg

He stepped out first, opened her door and helped her from the vehicle before taking up her suitcase. In this short moment something drew his notice: she no longer walked with crutches. A frown swiftly took his expression at how such a thing had initially escaped him. Especially when he tended to notice every little thing about her. He decided not to comment on it and instead donned his characteristically charming smile, "Welcome to... well, I haven't named it yet, but welcome nevertheless."

OOC - Tir as discussed. Not ignoring your post, just gonna finish up this IC day here and then work your arrival in to the next day.

Verie Lacroix

V
Verie allowed Merovign to help her from the car. She clutched her flowers close to her chest and followed silently, pausing to take in the bizarrely-shaped, modern-looking house. Her eyes grew wide and she had to confess that she was impressed, almost as impressed as she was confused. She had never known Merovign to have such an interest in scholarly pursuits. She found him intelligent, engaging, and quick-witted, but this was all new to her. For reasons she couldn't quite understand, she suddenly felt uncomfortable. How was there so much that she didn't know about someone she had traveled across the galaxy to visit? For a moment, she felt smothered by doubt and fear at her own recklessness, but then took a deep breath and reminded herself that she was an unusually good judge of character and Merovign seemed to be on the up-and-up.

Still, she reminded herself to be on her guard.

"How charming," she murmured, and she meant it. It might not be what she was used to, but she was intrigued nonetheless. She felt like it might be fun to explore the architecture, but for the moment she was content to just look at it and smell the scent of the flowers in her arms. "It does seem to defy naming conventions, doesn't it?" Verie turned to him and smiled, suddenly anxious that her remark could be taken as insulting. "But it's so... fresh-looking, I suppose. Sorry, that sounds idiotic. And on the subject of my being idiotic -- I'm afraid I don't know what a Council of Scholars is. What is it you do here?"

He could not help a growing smile of amusement and it was darker than he meant it to be. The simplicity of Verie continued to enchant him - a simplicity not of the mind, but of a state of being. She took things in just as they were and muddled her opinions and views with the proprietary style she'd lived every day of her life since her mother could tutor it into her. Her kind intentions masked an intelligence that rivaled even some of the great Sith Lords he'd come to know over the years.

"You don't give yourself enough credit, Ve," his smile warmed as he regarded her fondly for all those traits and then some. The man lifted his free hand to stroke his fingers gently at her chin. Merovign shook his head and chuckled, "you are not an idiot. I'm the idiot for buying the place, but-" he drew a breath and withdrew his hand, turning to look at his home, enamored, "I kind of love it. The idea of it." The Governor glanced at her, brows raised in enthusiasm, and lifted her suitcase in a motion towards the back door, "let me show you around first and I'll bore you with the details of my position here over dinner."

Verie wasn't given much chance to reply as he stepped off to a door that slid open with a hiss by no whim of the Force at all. Rudrig was vastly advanced and most everything here was automated, rather unlike the more traditional living style back on Kuat.

"Dining area," he introduced with wave of a hand, "over there is the kitchen, and there the living area. Through that door over there is the pool. I, uh, would ramble about the architecture but if you've seen one room you've seen them all." The rooms were white with black slashes of Modrian-esque furnishings. While stark, the corners were rounded. It was sterile and unblemished, lacking embellishments of any kind.

"I feel as though it's missing something..." he commented as he turned to look about at the surrounding walls of pristine white, "but for the life of me I cannot figure what." The man gave a droll smirk and shrugged.

Verie Lacroix

V
Verie followed him into the house and looked around the room as he gave the tour. Though she didn't have a chance to say so, she could understand being so pleased with having a space of one's own. After living with Avadreia for the relatively short amount of time, her dearest ambition was to find a flat where she could exist in her own space without the influences of her vindictive and spiteful mother. Merovign's enthusiasm was infectious though, and Verie could feel herself smiling -- not to humor him, but genuinely. As he swept his hand around, she followed it, moving over to peer into the dining area, then stood on her tip-toes to look over the kitchen, then the living area. "You have a pool?" Verie echoed incredulously. She was very jealous; she loved swimming and had always wanted Avadreia to add a pool.

She finished her whirlwind tour of the place and then turned back to face Merovign, puzzling over what could possibly be missing from what was clearly a well-built and stylish home. Then she glanced around once more and leaned in to whisper: "Is it... color?" It was very stark -- Verie would have couched it as 'clean lines' rather than stark -- and almost clinical. A splash of color here and there surely wouldn't go amiss, would it? She hefted the vase and then added helpfully: "Perhaps these would help?" She looked around for a place to put it, then turned back to Merovign. "Thoughts?"

"Brilliant," Merovign grinned, marveling at her wit. He lifted a hand to rub thoughtfully at his chin, passing a glance around, "maybe...there?" Pointing to the kitchen table, he watched her move to place it at the center and gave it a considering glance.

A moment passed, he took two steps to the left and gave another sweeping critique of the decor, "I think..." The vase of flowers sat diminutive amidst a sea of white and black. Merovign continued rubbing his chin, "we're going to need more flowers." The Sith Knight then cut loose a chorus of amused laughter.

Verie Lacroix

V
Verie set the flowers down, then impulsively moved the vase, twisting it on the table until the most attractive flowers were facing the door. "There. That's... almost." She leaned over again and shifted some of the blooms in the vase, plucking one mangled petal and then stepping back to admire her work, placing her hands together in front of her waist. "Now it's perfect." She brushed a strand of honey-brown hair from her hair and turned back to Merovign.

"Yes, we probably will. Although, you know this is a temporary solution. The flowers will wilt eventually -- although they look like they will last for weeks." She pursed her lips and cocked her head to the side. Finally it dawned on her that she didn't know whether the flowers were a shade that appealed to Merovign. "And I don't even know what color you like best." Verie turned her head back to Merovign. "And don't say black or white -- that's not fair."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom