Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Learn to Lose

All roads lead here. The big green woman thought to herself as she descended the ramp of the Onyx Runner. Her platform boots thudded against the durasteel as she walked, Her freshly laundered synth-leathers loosened and stretched against her muscles and movement. Some of the fueling crews stared up at Ran. They found her imposing and striking, in the best sense of the word.

She scanned the bay for the Jedi Initiate assigned to accompany her on the Jedi's most current archaeological expedition. They were to delve into an ancient and dangerous tomb. A tomb that was strong in the dark side. In truth, Ran was surprised the council allowed her the company. She was still recently back to the order but still seemed to garner a lot of trust from those who led the multiple millennia-old institution. Maybe they thought her unique life experience would benefit the younger Jedi. According to the Council the Initiate, Sazo Vass, also had quite the unique experience. One that would lead her to the Jedi.

Ran rightfully assumed this mission was a test drive of sorts. She wanted to teach, and Sazo was to be a learner. Ran could feel the potential and the consequences of this meeting on the horizon.

Bingo. Ran thought as she spotted Sazo Vass across the bay. Ran took a second look to confirm. The young woman's face matched the image Ran had received on her datapad. "Hello Sazo Vass! Over here!" She shouted over the hum and mechanized racket of the bay. Ran was waving and smiling. She was excited to meet the young Jedi and begin their journey to the planet Velmor.

Ran awaited her approach and then made her introduction. "Ran Serys," She gave her name and extended her hand to shake. "The ship is being refueled. In the meantime we can go aboard, I will run through the controls with you, and we can talk. Do you have any questions before that?" Ran asked sincerely but evenly.

."Hello Sazo Vass! Over here!" She shouted over the hum and mechanized racket of the bay. Ran was waving and smiling. She was excited to meet the young Jedi and begin their journey to the planet Velmor.

Sazo's first impression of Ran Serys- she was easily the tallest woman she had ever encountered. At 6"2, the Korun towered over most her peers. But even from a distance, Sazo could tell the Mirialan was taller then her.

"THAT'S YOUR TAKE AWAY FROM MEETING THIS WOMAN? 'Oh wow, how tall she is?' REALLY, YOUNGLING?", Talion Voss- the spirit within Sazo's force-imbued katana, Talionis- grumbled. Sazo gave the mental equivalent of a shrug, unwilling to debate with her ancestor. He was a curmudgeon on the best of days. She was excited to meet Ran.

Sazo smiled as she got in distance of the Knight.

Ran awaited her approach and then made her introduction. "Ran Serys," She gave her name and extended her hand to shake. "The ship is being refueled. In the meantime we can go aboard, I will run through the controls with you, and we can talk. Do you have any questions before that?" Ran asked sincerely but evenly.

Sazo lit up with excitement. She had never piloted any ship before!

"OH BY THE GREAT ANCESTORS, SAVE ME NOW."

'Quiet, you.'

Then, she remembered the rest of what she said. "Sazo Vass, a pleasure, Master Serys", she replied, accepting her hand and giving it a firm shake. "I appreciate the piloting instruction. I have some questions about Velmor- I was told that we are going to an archaeological site, and that tomb was of the dark side, but nobody's really explained how something dead could be dangerous-"

BY THE FORCE, I FORGET HOW GREEN YOU ARE.

"-And I'd love to talk to about our strengths and weaknesses, and really learn more about each other, and how we complement each other", Sazo finished, hoping to learn more about Ran.

Ran Serys Ran Serys

Refreshed by Sazo's eagerness, it sparked something in Ran. She saw the curious and inquisitive mind of Sazo already. Great qualities for a Jedi Learner to have, Ran thought. That along with the fact she wasn't afraid to speak up was a point for Sazo

Ran pondered the non-question for a moment. Ran would have to be verbose. She wasn't used to being verbose but she wasn't incapable. "In my experience, death is not the end. All living things become one with the force. In what way that manifests- I wager is up to the person. Powerful Jedi, for example, can become memories, ghosts, and guides. While it seems those corrupted by the dark side are able to become poltergeists, evil apparitions that are even more twisted in unlife." She paused. "There lies the danger in our case. The tomb we are exploring," She referenced. "Is it corrupted through the force by dark side energy? Or is it haunted by some villain's power clinging to the material?" To answer a question with a question felt scholarly, at least to Ran. "I guess we will see exactly how it can be dangerous when we get there." Ran smiled. She would always approach danger with confidence and a healthy amount of caution.

"Strengths and weaknesses, yes?" A moment of reflection was necessary before Ran could answer. "I can be impulsive, brash, and I act on instinct more often than forethought." She spoke confidently about her weaknesses. They were obviously points she was trying to work on. "As for strengths-" She paused, considering what her answer would be. "I am physically stronger, faster, and more durable than most, even without the aid of the force. My combat training has been extensive. I was trained to be a soldier from infancy." She said, sparing the young Jedi the finer details of a long, sad history. Maybe she'd tell her in time, at the very least away from the hustle and bustle of the fueling station.

One of the fueling technicians gestured a signal. The starship was fueled and final inspection had begun. It wouldn't be long til they were cleared for takeoff. She nodded a confirmation at the technician. "Follow me, Sazo." Ran said, turning heel and marching up the ramp of the Onyx Runner. "Please share your strengths and weaknesses with me, and any other information you'd like me to know."

Ran listened intently as they boarded the PGEM/S-02 "Starpeddler". A Super-Light Freighter class starship that the previous owner had dubbed the "Onyx Runner." She was unsure how it got its name but she had her theories. On their way to the flight deck they would pass through three rooms. First was the modular cargo bay which doubled as sleeping quarters, then the kitchen and mess, and finally the recreation slash meditation chamber. The flight deck was located at the forward most part of the ship. The cockpit was spacious enough for two but cozy enough for four. Ran and Sazo, both standing at impressive heights, would have to duck to seat themselves.

Ran ran Sazo through the controls with lightning speed. The Jedi Knight was an accomplished pilot, even flying with Revenant Squadron during the Second Great Hyperspace War. "And finally these here," She ran her fingers across a series of switches. "Are how we will broadcast our emergency distress signals, should we need them. Any questions?" She finished, aiming the question at Sazo while they waited for inspection and takeoff clearance. "About anything, not just the ship's controls." She said watching the technicians have their break with only a small hint of impatience.

"I have some questions for you, Sazo Vass." Ran announced. "How did you come to the Order?" She questioned. "And also how did that blade come to you?" Ran could feel the mystical energy imbued within the katana, but only slightly. She found it a curious item. It almost made her uneasy.

Last edited:
Sazo furrowed her brow, mouthing's Ran's rhetorical question about the tombs as they made their way into the Onyx Runner, only barely ducking to enter the cockpit.

THIS JEDI IS A SMART ONE, YOUNGLING. I'D PAY HER SOME ATTENTION.

For once, she didn't have a witty retort. Master Serys- judging from her self-assessment of herself- was a fairly capable warrior, with lived experiences that granted her a not-so-insubstantial measure of wisdom.

"Strengths and weaknesses", Sazo said aloud as they settled into the cockpit. She was pretty blunt in assessing herself, so I suppose I should do the same.

BE HONEST. I'M FACT-CHECKING.

"Well, I've been told I'm can be a bit rigid, impatient, and...the Masters said I can be overtly-confident, which leads to impulsive decision-making."

HONEST-ISH.

"My strengths? I suppose I'm similar to you, but I was trained on Haruun Kal to use the Force to enhance my speed and strength, but not my durability. I'm also have training on the use of bladed weapons; I'm currently in the process of incorporating into some fighting Forms I've been learning about since I arrived."

Sazo soaked up Master Serys's piloting crash-course. She wouldn't be an ace fighter by tomorrow, but she came away with a rudimentary understanding of the Runner's inner-workings. She glanced up when the Knight asked if she had any additional questions.

"No Master Serys, no questions."

Then, she followed up with questions of her own- namely, how she came to be in the Order, and the origins of the sword. "Haruun Kal has recently formed a government, the Al'Har Federation", she began. "Recently, there have been talks of working to remove the stigma of Force Orders, as the Federation works to build relations across the galaxy, including with the Allliance. The Ghôsh- or clan- elders felt that I would be a ideal candidate for the Order, and as the face of the a new Haruun Kal."

She swallowed, and continued. Her departure was abrupt and painful, and it was hard to recount.

"Many of the warriors fought with the Jedi on Tython, including my parents who are...not with us anymore. It's an honor to be in the ranks of the Order", Sazo finished truthfully, before unsheathing Talionis, still glowing a soft emerald green.

"This is Talionis. It is a Force-imbued blade. It was forged by Talion Vass, a Gulag-era Korun Jedi Lord, and the founder my clan, Ghôsh Vass. He used Talionis to build our Ghôsh, and defend it. He sealed his essence into the sword, so he may act as guide; almost like a holocron."

Ran Serys Ran Serys

The Jedi Knight admired the learner. Ran could sense how open, honest, and brave Sazo was. Or at least seemed to be. It was exactly how Ran was when she had first come to the order, when she was looking for the place she belonged. Ran wondered if Sazo sought to belong. Ran let the thought pass her by. Regardless of the possible parallels between them, there was something about Sazo that resonated with the Jedi Knight.

Ran let the initiate continue uninterrupted. As the blade was unsheathed its presence stood out even more. It was a sight to behold, a fascinating one, Ran believed. The blade still unnerved her though. She found it strange and felt a potential danger from it. Maybe this Talion Vass was just that formidable, or maybe Ran's senses were mistaken. She was sure that in time she'd come to understand her feelings. For now though, she would keep those feelings to herself. Sazo seemed to have a lot of pride in her Ghôsh and Ran wouldn't have wanted to interfere with any of that.

"Thank you for sharing, Sazo." Ran said sincerely. "I think you and I have more in common than originally anticipated." She smiled warmly. It was her mother's smile, but Ran would never know that. Before the knight could say anything else one of the technicians appeared before the viewport waving a signal. The final inspection was complete. They had received the greenlight for takeoff. Ran gave the technician a nod. Last thing to do was run a systems diagnostic of the Onyx Runner's computers and interface, then the duo would be on their way to S'krrr, the third planet in the Ishanna System. Ran readied herself, but paused and looked at Sazo. "Would you like to do the honors?" She offered with a gesture.

Ran had shown Sazo much of the Onyx Runner's systems in a short amount of time and wanted to see how much of the information was retained. She'd step in to help Sazo when needed but other than that it was the young jedi's show. If she did well enough, Ran decided she'd give Sazo primary control and assist her in the freighter's departure.

When they hit hyperspace, Ran would prepare a meal in the small kitchen and mess. A River Qwewt stew and a Covado salad. Then they would meditate on the force, and engage in a few training exercises. Finally, they would continue the repairs on Emm-seven Tee-ayy. The droid had powered off in Ran's absence from the core worlds and hadn't powered on when she returned. Sazo was free to engage in her own activities but Ran would invite the young jedi to assist in hers. The Onyx Runner wasn't a big ship so all the while the pair were free to make conversation and bond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom