Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech L91 long-range quadruple barbette

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIKONquadbarbette.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Heavy turbolaser
  • Size: Large (50 meters)
  • Weight: Heavy
  • Ammunition Type: High-density power cores
  • Ammunition Capacity: Average
  • Effective Range: Extreme
  • Rate of Fire: Low
  • Damage Output: Very High
  • Recoil: Very High
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • LIKON durability: LIKON values toughness and durability, reflected in redundant systems, additional structural bracing, fusion welded plating, and magna bolted seals. LIKON products are typically known to be able to take hits and keep on functioning.
  • LIKON universality: LIKON specifically designs weapon systems with a minimum of moving parts, and with as many universal parts and access ports as possible to allow for a seamless and pain-free maintenance cycle. It is exceptionally easy to install, repair, maintain, and replace this weapon.
  • LIKON automation: this product can be operated manually, or be set to fire autonomously due to its integrated L-FC1v Fire Control Unit.
STRENGTHS
  • (+) Precision targeting: the L91 is designed to specifically work in tandem with the LIKON L-01x precision targeting laser; when paired, the L51 is exceptionally accurate and deadly over vast distances (but subject to the limitations of its targeting laser). For this reason, the L91 is meant to be fired in pulses, bursts, or grouped salvos.
  • (+) Variable fire modes: the L91 has variable fire control, able to be fired in several different modes and settings. Modes include; alternating (firing one barrel after the next in succession); paired (firing two barrels, then the other two); and salvo (firing all barrels simultaneously). Regardless of firing mode, the rate of fire remains Low.
  • (+) Automated or Assisted: the L91 utilizes L.TCA2.1 Targeting Computers, which allow the organic user to select two firing modes; automatic, or assisted. In automatic, the integrated L-FC1v assumes direct control via the targeting computer of any installed weaponry (subject to L-FC1v limitations). In assisted mode, the L-FC1v instead compensates, shifts, and improves the organic user's aim in a manner similar to droid targeting systems, increasing the accuracy of an average gunner by a noticeably amount.
WEAKNESSES
  • (-) Stand-alone weapon: the L91 was designed to work directly in concert with the LIKON L-01x precision targeting laser, and is subject to the laser's limitations. Typically this means the L91 could not fire above a Low rating; because this is already a limitation of the weapon, it is assumed that the L91 cannot be placed near ship mounted rapid-fire weaponry. As a direct result, the L91 is always mounted in relatively isolated gunnery positions, and suffers from a relative lack of defensive weaponry such as point-defense cannons. This makes the L91 a tempting target for bombing runs and precision strikes.
  • (-) Slow-to-turn, slow-to-fire: as a heavy capital-grade weapon, the L91 is incredibly slow to turn, orient, and fire due to the sheer mass of the weapon and the energy requirements involved. The L91 excels at long range engagements as a result, needing to only turn a few degrees, but takes doubly long to target a close to medium range target; additionally, like other capital weaponry, the the L91 cannot target small and fast moving targets such as starfighters and freighters at close to medium range.
  • (-) Reactive, not intuitive: the L-FC1v automated function has a number of drawbacks, primary among them being a lack of intuition, creativity, foresight, and being relatively limited to a given set of commands. This creates issues if, say, a command bridge is destroyed, or if there is no one to give orders or issue commands; the L.FC1v will simply robotically execute its last order. Commands are as follows...
    • Attack target
    • Attack subsystem
    • Defend target
    • Defend subsystem
    • Standby
DESCRIPTION
The L91 long-range quadruple barbette is LIKON's answer in creating a heavier version of the classic octuple barbette turbolaser.

A simple concept (in theory), LIKON redesigned the standard octuple design by decreasing the number of barrels from eight to four, then diverted the leftover power into the remaining barrels. The result, while technically a quad turbolaser cannon, is more closely related to a barbette in terms of operation. Specifically, the weapon system's output, power requirements, and finicky targeting lasers mean the turrets must stay in the classic barbette position - parallel to a ship's superstructure, in close proximity to the ship's reactor, utilizing standard barbette turret mountings.

In operation, the L91 takes massive amounts of energy from high-density power cores which are in turn kept charged by a ship's main reactor. This energy is fed through energy couplers into a series of specialized power capacitors and energizers. Here, the energy is passed through several stages of tibanna gas energization in the laser actuator; these multiple energizations create a final collimated beam that is as densely packed with charged particles as possible. This hyper-energized beam is then passed through massive galven coil arrays, where it is then bottled electromagnetically and ejected as a turbolaser bolt. Managing this process is an extensive heat dispersal system utilizing cryogenic barrel sleeves, massive coolant pumps, and extensive superconductive ion coils.

The L91 truly shines, however, when it is paired with proprietary LIKON technology - namely the L.01x precision targeting laser. Perfectly suited for slow firing yet heavy hitting weaponry, the addition of the L.01x grants the L91 an incredible range and accuracy for a turbolaser; combined with an L.FC1v fire control unit and banks of L.TCA2.1 Targeting Computers, the L91 can be operated with the same degree of autonomy and efficiency as any other LIKON weapon system - though it is still advised to have a small organic crew on hand to manage coolant and power levels.

Last edited:
HPI AI; Terraris Command
Factory Judge
Roth Likonis Roth Likonis

As usual cool submission!
  • Please link the proper twitter post, not just the profile, I did not find the art, I scrolled nearly half or a minute and still not found it.
  • And the "droid targeting systems" is a blank link, please edit it.

Many thanks! And great catch on the dead link - I'm going through my subs now to see if the same link is dead elsewhere.

I'm not sure I can give you a primary direct from artist / developer post; mainly because the content is so old (I went to 2017) that I don't believe it is hosted on Twitter anymore.

The (new) primary source is from Greybox showing a monarch dreadnought - by examining the image, one can see the dreadnought-class heavy ballistic cannons, which the art depicts. The second source is a game review, showing, at the time, some game art and linking the art to the Dreadnought game.

For what it is worth, I personally think this is more than enough burden of proof - two other subs on Chaos use this image and only link the twitter page. If you insist on a primary source, I can tweet at the game developer. :)

EDIT: even checked their concept art gallery. I think it may be pre-production art?

MANIAC MANIAC

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom