Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knowledge is Power (Dissero)

Classified location
[member="Dissero"]

Back in the day Ovmar and Merrill had made an agreement to combine forces, which mostly meant that their archives had been entangled with each other, creating one big mega archive of some kind. Of course, Jared hadn’t considered the simple fact that she’d be dying, or marching to her death in this situation with the experiments she had been doing. Anyway. Her will had been pretty clear, her archives should go to Dissero and so they would.

Had it been anyone else the former Sith Lord would have separated Merrill’s stuff in a different location, so that his own archives were relatively safe and anonymous. But Jared trusted Di, liked him even, such things were rare in this world and friends were even rarer. So when the Will had come in, Ovmar had invited Di, supplying him with instructions on how to get here.

When arrived Di would have been greeted by one of the servants, telling him that Jared was currently indisposed and that he might join later. But that the Archivist should feel free to peruse the collection, while warning him that there were other guests at the same time and some might value their privacy. Discretion and all that, Di would understand such things better than most others.

Anyway, when he was done touring, the servants would probably be ready with organizing Merrill’s belongings so Di could take them with him again.

Somewhere along the way he might just meet Cerita Sarova, who coincidentally was also in the great library.

...to Dissero, I leave all of my personal archives, research notes, and prototypes.

Unexpected.

Dissero would never claim to having been close to the wily Witch, nor would he ever believe to be. In truth, the two had shared few adventures, though their discoveries had certainly fielded something to behold. He treasured the woman in the way that she was, without a doubt, a walking tome of knowledge, a source of unique and powerful skills. They walked similar paths, but where his was heavily guarded, structured, secret - her's had been something a bit more haphazard.

In their work together, some things had been shared. A few dreams here, a few secrets there. Never anything of tantamount importance, but enough to say they were both still with some shred of humanity. She'd trusted him to some extent, and he did her as well. This was how he came to know the location of her archives, and this was how he found himself arriving there today - through the mutual relative trust that had been passed on to those who often held the least of it. No small surprise Ovmar had been privy and was, in fact, engaged within the same campus. Dissero stepped down the ramp of his ship and looked on with a wane sense of longing. Everything he stood to gain right now was nothing compared to what might've been had he more time to commit to other things. Had he been less hellbent on his own personal projects.

The galaxy had passed him by, it seemed, and he hoped he had not seen the last of [member="Rave Merrill"].

The man strode in, wordless and without preamble, stopping only to identify and confirm himself before proceeding.

He toured, he marveled, he appreciated in a way only people like himself and Merrill and Ovmar could. The Archivist touched not a thing, but spent a long time in pensive silence wandering the many halls, stacks, and rows. He bothered no one and by all means, it was as if he weren't there at all.

That was, of course, until he came upon [member="Cerita Sarova"].

She smelled of Alchemy and the lingering stain of Merrill on her presence spoke a great deal more than any dry or casual conversation between strangers ever would. Still, he wasn't one to assume - at least, not anymore.

Brow lofting as he quietly approached, he passed a cursory glance around before gently clearing his throat.

[member="Dissero"]

It had been a difficult transition to a degree. Rave had always managed to occupy the young lady’s mind with this project or that, one day they’d have gone and analyzed genetical samples of some ancient beast, the other they’d go and wrestle with a Cthulhu from beyond the veil. It had been hard, difficult, tiring and emotionally draining at times, but she’d always cherish the moments.

When she had realized she wouldn’t have to keep guard over Rave’s experiments she had been happy, relieved even. The girl hadn’t been ready for such a responsibility, that was a realization that had dawned on her immediately. But after she had left, a part of her felt lost. What to do without Rave constantly pushing her forward and making her transcend all the borders?

Ovmar had never been a friend to her, partially because of what she was, but these days… he seemed different. Older (obviously), but kinder too and it confused her greatly. But he had been friends with Merrill and so when he invited her here, to catch her breath and figure out -what- she wanted to do with her life? It only seemed the smart choice to accept.

Now she was here, trying to figure out this ancient scroll on the Knotters of Entrail.

Wasn’t easy, but nothing in her life had been. It was part why it had always been so interesting.

Then a sound made her look-up, she turned around and saw a man standing there, studying her in a somewhat peculiar fashion. He seemed familiar somehow, Cerita had never seen him before and yet… she had the feeling she should know.

H-hello?’ she tried, not really knowing what else to say.

The other brow arched to join the first, pleased that he had for the first time in his life stumbled upon a woman at her study and not been sniped at for interrupting.

"I won't apologize, I mean fully to interrupt. May I?" Dissero didn't wait for permission and moved forward to stand at her side where he could lean to peek at what currently captured her attention.

"Ninûshwodzakut," he said in the flawless tongue of the Ancient Sith, "Knotters of Entrails. Sithspawn and alchemy - dark things, that. You must be a student of Rave."

[member="Cerita Sarova"]

She laughed softly, a charming stranger at that. Who'd ever thought it possible in dusty halls such as these?

"Cerita Sarova, Lord Stranger. Apprentice to Rave Merrill." Then she extended her hand and asked the question that had occupied her the moment he ha interrupted her. "And who do I have the pleasure of meeting?"

Years ago she wouldn't have been so bold, but being taught by Rave had meant more than the swinging of a hammer and the shedding of one's blood for the creation of item of power. It had meant accepting herself as she was and through the years it had left her slightly more confident, less of a blushing maiden lost elsewhere.

Cerita studied [member="Dissero"] without hiding her curiousity or amusement. Frankness was still part of her.

The man eyed the proffered hand and in return offered a wane smile. He didn't shake it.

"Forgive me, the last few handshakes resulted in consequences I don't have the time to regale you with. The name's Dissero, a former ... business partner of your Master and inheritor of her vast wealth of knowledge here in these archives. It is a pleasure, Cerita."

He moved to take the seat nearby, content to remain a distraction to whatever project or endeavor she currently pursued. He eyed her book with the barest hint of distaste - or perhaps, weariness.

"I never did take to Alchemy of that sort. Nasty business. The galaxy's already full of enough dangerous beasts without having to create more of them, if you ask me. Is that what you do?"

[member="Cerita Sarova"]

The hand remained in place for the briefest of seconds, before it was awkwardly retracted. Some would have asked for the story, but it sounded either embarassing or otherwise sensitive so she let it stay in the realm of fantasy. Instead Cerita gave a short dip of the head and said with one of her little smiles. "Ah, yes. Lord Ovmar mentioned we would get a visitor for Rave's portions of the library, her research notes, prototypes.." her tone almost got something dreamy as she spoke, which was replaced by shrug of the shoulder as he asked her about the book.

"I don't know." She answered honestly. "My life was spent as Rave's assistant, [member="Dissero"] . With her gone? Well, I am not really sure what I should do, but I know that Alchemy brings me closer to her and that's important to me." When she noticed his look she added, Cerita wasn't sure why, but for some reason she felt it important to clarify herself before this man she had never met, but had heard the stories (legends even) from.

"The world is a dangerous place, true. But the same could be said about the crafting of items of power, no? Or any other branch of Alchemy. Rest assured, Lord Dissero, I am merely trying to... learn? Knowledge is another thing of importance to me." A smile, before she based him a question.

"So what is it that you do?"

An appreciative nod, an understanding 'mm' and the light tapping of fingers along the tabletop. Falling quiet, blue eyes wandering across her expression and then her visible self, the man seemed to be sizing her up. Considering her.

It wasn't the first time he'd listened to someone speak so fondly of Rave, nor would it be the last, he was sure. At Cerita's mention of learning and knowledge, and the posed question of his own agenda he gave the verte-skinned woman a wolfish grin.

"Dangerous things," the answer came wryly, he leaned forward to rest an elbow on the table now, hand lifting to itch at the stubble on his chin, "but it truly doesn't matter what you do. There's inherent danger to everything - even walking out your front door." His grin softened, "I liked Rave. Maybe more than was wise, but she and I shared a passion for knowledge and the unknown. Only wish I could have worked more with her. You seem pretty fond of her, too. How long have you been working with her?"

[member="Cerita Sarova"]

Cerita's face took a sad tone then, she sighed and then answered.

"Since I have been born, [member="Dissero"] . One could say I know nothing else."

She had been a clone, an experiment of some kind. Most scientists would have treated her like one, but Rave? It had felt more like being a daughter, a daughter of a highly ambitious woman who expected the best, but always gav her best in return. It had been hard, but in the grand scheme of things it had been a pleasant life. One full of study, experiments and the broadening of one's horizon.

Of course, he probably didn't know all of that. Someone else might have hid the truth, but as mentioned before Rave had taught her better then that.

"I... am a clone, my Lord."

"Are you now?"

No, he hadn't known. Dissero knew nothing of Rave's apprentices. As a matter of fact, he knew very little of Rave's life in general, but such was part of her charm and allure. Much like everything else that had interested and attracted the Archivist in life, Rave was another one of his curiosities. One of his mysteries.

His easy smile persisted, "Well, I'm sure you're infinitely better than the original."

"What will you do now, Miss Sarova? Where do you go from here?"

[member="Cerita Sarova"]

[member="Dissero"]

She sighed. ‘I don’t know. With Rave gone, and Lord Ovmar implying that he’s leaving soon too? I suppose I am gonna take advantage of the library for as long as I can and then?’

Cerita shrugged and put up a brave smile.

‘But Rave taught me well, I will endure.’

She didn’t exactly look as if she herself believed it.

He nodded, making a thoughtful sound.

"You have the right attitude and who knows, maybe you have the right stuff, too," Dissero gave the young woman a considering glance, "I'm in the market for a new ... Apprentice. You wouldn't happen to know of anyone with a pension for Alchemy and the Arcane in need of a new mentor would you?"

The smirk he offered was drawn with humor.

[member="Cerita Sarova"]

[member="Dissero"]

Cerita gave Dissero her own look of consideration. Most people would have jumped at the chance, no ponderings or thoughts considered and simply signed on, but a Master was an important deal. So she really took a good look, weighed the odds and finally smiled warmly.

‘Coincidently I know of this red-haired girl who just got on the market.’ the girl quipped in kind. ‘I suppose she would be eager to be apprenticed under the legendary likes of Lord Dissero the Archivist.’

An answering smirk, before she looked back at the scroll and started to roll it up carefully. She supposed that as his apprentice she’d have to be ready when he was finished with his affairs here.

A low chuckle filled the space between them, one that spoke of an appreciation for humor. Life was far too short and far too difficult to be serious all the time, and Force knew Dissero needed no help there. With any luck, she would last much longer than the plebs that passed for Apprentices back in the days of the Sith Empire.

She'd been Rave's first, so he had no doubts of her credibility.

"Legendary? Ovmar's been filling your ears with his drunk prattle I bet. I'm no legend, Miss Sarova, and I'm hardly a Lord, I'm just an Archivist who happened to make a few powerful friends and equally powerful enemies along his journey."

An easy smile followed her movements as she made to pack up and he tapped lightly at the desk, "No rush, though. I've a few things I need to see to. Lists to make, things to pack, and I've got to see a man about a dog. Whereabouts does Ovmar while away his hours around here?"

[member="Cerita Sarova"]

Somehow Cerita doubted this man was simple, he seemed anything but that. Yet she didn't try and convince him of this fact, if he was humble it was a good trait and if he was simply trying to put her at ease in his presence? Also quite admirable. She slightly tilted her head and then finally shrugged at his question, she wasn't all too familiar with Ovmar. Everything she knew of him were tales and haresay, the fact that she was here was more charity service from his side than anything else.

Which is what she replied with.

"I don't know Lord Ovmar all too well, but if I had to make an educated guess? I'd say he's close-by."

Some time passed and the green-skinned woman tilted her head once again, this time as if she was listening to something.

"Speaking of the Devil."

Dad's home.

[member="Dissero"]

Another chuckle, rueful this time, "I'm sure he is," especially since he also knew Dissero was due in. Unlikely that Jae would leave his own portion of the archives unguarded with a fellow Archivist and Heister on the prowl, even despite Di's honorable intentions. He held a great deal of respect for his fellow Archivists, Rave and Jared especially. Reliable relationships with the two were a hundred times more useful than any petty rivalry.

Sensing the approach of the other Master, he nodded and rose from his seat, "Right then. I'll find you when I'm about ready to leave, Miss Sarova."

Without another word he walked off down the hall, in the direction from whence the sensation of his darkside companion and the smell of liquor originated.

"Jae?"

[member="Cerita Sarova"]
[member="Jared Ovmar"]

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
Dissero would finally find his partner in crime back at the atrium of the library, silently conversating with one of the guardians. Eventually Jared Ovmar would turn around, the sheer sight of Dissero enough to soften the lines of age that now marred his face. They hadn't seen each other for maybe half a year, if that, and in that time the Lord of the Fringe had managed to add a lifetime to his appearance.

"Jae..." Jared would softly repeat, a wane smile perching on the lips. "I feel like I haven't heard that name in ages, its good to see you again, Di. Perhaps I am getting soft, but I have missed you."

And there was that grin of his again, suddenly making him seem so much younger and only underlining the Jared Ovmar in this stranger's face.

[member="Dissero"]

There care a momentary pause, mid-stride, to Dissero's advance on the man. Perhaps, even, a fleeting blink of surprise, but Jared's curious aging held no candle to happening upon an old Whiphid within the body of a young and vivacious black woman. In a dress, no less.

"Jae...Force, you look like hell," he greeted him with a friendly grin, lifting one hand to take the man's shoulder while the other moved to shake Jared's hand. Time be damned, it hadn't been too long to spoil the budding bromance, "what happened to you? Piss off Varanin?"

[member="Jared Ovmar"]

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
[member="Dissero"]

Everytime Jared expected people to react astonished he was disappointed by pretty moderate reactions. It wasn’t all that strange though if you thought about it, his companions and associates weren’t your run-in-the-mill people, working nine-to-five jobs at minimum wage, with a mortgage and all that crap. They were all special, each and every one of them, their experiences had molded them into what they were today.

And those same experiences had made them less inclined to be surprised when something out of the ordinary happened. Because everyday something extraordinary happened. So a man who was young before and now found himself to be old? What was that worth, besides a faint underlining before going back to more important subjects?

Just the way he liked it, the former Sith Lord had made his peace with what he had become and spending hours explaining it wouldn’t have been a cheer for his mood, so he replied to the question within the question. ‘Heh, I wish, Di. This was… something different.’ He shook the extended hand, just a bit satisfied that their friendship hadn’t eroded from his time off from reality.

‘I looked into some of Rave’s research.’ again a smile, just a bit apologetic. ‘There is always a price.’

Mysterious, but he wouldn’t say more until he was ready to or perhaps if pressed.

‘How has time been treating you?’

"Rave's research..." Dissero repeated in a low tone, giving Jared another look over. The man's grin faded as his mind slowly began to piece together things. The Void Stone, their research and findings. The creation of Velokite. Rave's intentions of looking into new manipulation of the Force. Space, form, physics...

...time.

He grunted, "say no more." He didn't think he really wanted to know. Time was not something he'd ever had a desire to meddle with, much like Sithspawn. The Archivist's expression lightened then as he gave Jared's hand and shoulder another squeeze, "better than you, it seems. Been tying up some loose ends, rekindling old flames. Rave's departure quite honestly caught me completely off guard. What do you know of it?"

[member="Jared Ovmar"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom