Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knowledge is Power (Dissero)

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
[member="Dissero"]

“Has to do with her research, Di.” Ovmar said with a shrug, before continuing. It had been a surprise to everyone but not everyone had the blessing of a time-bending tower and a hundred years of reflection, just one of the perks he guessed.

‘She wasn’t happy with the way her life turned out. Wished to change it, not for herself, but for her other self. So she did. Say one thing ‘bout Merrill, she would always find a way to do what she set out to do, impossibility or not.’

Time of peace had made him understand Rave’s choice, but he was not sure he could do what she had done. Their situation had been different too, her life hadn’t been her own choice, she hadn’t had the choice.

Ovmar had and his whole life had adjusted to that choice.

‘She wished to give herself the choice, a choice taken from her.’

Brow furrowed, the Archivist slowly nodded and turned a solemn glance away, around.

It was then and there that he decided something had to be done - something. Just what that something was, however, he wasn't sure yet. Coals stoked, flame catching, it would take some time to ruminate and catch fire.

"I hope," he said finally, "that she accomplished what she set out to do then."

It was his closing statement on that subject, for what more was there to discuss?

"Jae, this is a hell of a place you have here. I'm impressed. I understand it was a shared venture with Rave. Had no idea you were into archival studies, you should have said something."

[member="Jared Ovmar"]

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
[member="Dissero"]

‘Aye,’ the Sith Lord, happy with being able to continue with a more pleasant subject, replied. Why hadn’t he ever shared it with [member="Dissero"]? The same reason he hadn’t shared it with anyone else, probably. One way to get your stuff swept from under you was by sharing anything you knew with other people. There were no spoken secrets, once ya share? It’s done, can’t retract it anymore.

Rave had only found out, because Jared had seen a mutual interest in working and banding together. Seperately their archives had been formidable. Together? It had been massive. Both had specialized in different subjects too, which meant more diversity and literature on every subject.

A shrug. ‘A guilty pleasure, Di. Guy’s gotta have some secrets to stay mysterious, no?’

The gravelly chuckle and keen glance from Dissero spoke more than his own response did, "Aye, indeed he does."

This seemed the right moment to suggest a drink, but instead he opted to motion for a walk. There was still more of the compound he hadn't seen yet, and he was curious to look around. Now, especially, that he had a guide to take him.

"I'll be copying Rave's portion of the Archives to add to my own, but leaving the main database here if you don't mind my coming back from time to time. You deserve to have access to it and it doesn't seem right to take it from such a cozy place. As for her other things, they're coming with me. She and I had a few combined ventures of our own that her end of the work will be required for me to complete mine."

[member="Jared Ovmar"]

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
"Di..." for the first in a long time Jared seemed to be at a loss for words, the sheer gratitude and perhaps shock was clearly plastered across his face. Before he got himself under control again, expression simply content and happy, instead of resembling a fish caught on the dry, he tried once again. "You have no ide--"

But [member="Dissero"] had an idea, didn't he? Was he not one of the greatest Archivist in the 'verse? A suspicion arouse. Inquisitive look in his eyes, Jared pulled out his phone. Some had tattoos, others used jewelry, Rave had it fething stashed on her ship, but he wasn't planning on carrying it on his back everywhere he went. Seemed clumsy.

Holophone activated, Jared Ovmar showed Dissero his screensaver.

It was a photo of a Selab tree, he waited for a response.

Falling silent, Dissero eyed the image for a moment before giving Jared a strange sort of grin, "That's a mighty find tree you have there, Jae," and then reached around his back and tucked his hand up under his shirt. From a back sheath Dissero withdrew the Heart of Korriban, a dagger given to him by his mother on the day of passing his Knighthood trials. It was hardly a beautiful thing and it clearly had seen quite a bit of use, but there were two very unique details one had to know about this blade in order to use it properly.

First: the blade itself was alchemically forged and infused with the venom of Hssiss, which would inflict upon any living target a very terrible case of Darkside Sickness. Even the wielder, if you weren't careful.

Second: within the wood of the hilt was hand-tooled a finely detailed Selab tree.

Dissero held up the blade carefully for Jared to inspect, but not to touch. He'd already dealt with the darkside sickness himself and he wasn't keen on dealing with it again anytime soon.

"I've got one, too."

[member="Jared Ovmar"]

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
Heh. Should have known it.

Jared took a few moments to inspect the blade more closely, not touching it of course, he could practically feel the darkness radiating from it, clearly not a simple kitchen knife.

A nod and then a lazy grin. ‘Today is really a day of revealing secrets, ain’t it.’

They started walking, probably after the dagger was sheathed again, and Ovmar showed [member="Dissero"] around. It had been decided long ago that the library would be properly categorized, in this building the Force was scientifically dissected and books were grouped together by subject and relevance - There was the Alchemy section with a clear divide (for those who knew what to look for) between the various disciplines within that specific branch.

Cerita was still reading something, this time a different scroll of some kind. They walked and walked, Sorcery, Legends, Mentalism, Dathomir, artifacts scattered around and put on ‘display’.

Honestly, it was really too much to name all of it. During the walk Ovmar gave some tidbits of information, sometimes it was just a fun ‘did you know’, perhaps a few jokes on how he managed to scrunch it all up, eventually though somewhere in the middle of the tour Jared became a bit more serious.

In mid-walk he suddenly said. ‘I worry about the Fringe, Di.’ seemed to come out of nowhere, but perhaps the Mentalist had been stewing on this for a while now. ‘The High Council ain’t what it used to be, I… there might be changes at hand. Can’t go into specifics but there have been recent developments that would grey even your hairs.’

‘You are the finest Archivist I know.’ stated randomly, until the following came. ‘The Fringe had gathered dangerous knowledge and objects through its conquests and expansions, we both know this. I kept most of it decentralized on Annaj, think it’s time we start securing it better.’

Raised eyebrow, last part of the sentence raising up in a question. In or out?

"Aye?" Dissero arched a brow at the man and lifted a hand to rub at the stubble on his chin, "That sounds like a proper idea. I'd been pondering something of the sort for a while myself, since I can't say I've heard much of any Archival department existing within the Fringe. I'd be honored to make it so."

A broad smile stretched the young man's beard, ever happy to have new goals, new purpose. Admittedly he'd floundered to find his place within the Fringe, and mostly he blamed this on his own personal projects. Projects that forced him into seclusion and isolation. Projects that invariably made him something of a paranoid hermit. Which was really a shame, as he genuinely liked most of the people within the Fringe that he met and Dissero knew that he'd missed out on many opportunities in working more closely with them.

"I'd been thinking that a network of smaller archives scattered throughout Fringe space would be an ideal setup, if I were to organize such a thing, with the main Hub being at the Capital. The sattelite Archives can be used for access and backup, should the Capital ever come under siege. I had some success in establishing an Archival Department within the University of Rudrig during my tenure as Governor there..."

How he missed that place. His own custom Archive and Vault funded by the Empire, no expenses spared. What a beauty. What a waste...

[member="Jared Ovmar"]

@

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
The Sith Lord’s head was slightly tilted, as if he was listening to something amusing which was echoed by a bemused expression on the face. It was good that [member="Dissero"] was interested, sure he could probably have done it on his own, but where was the fun in that? Besides, the man had invaluable experience to bring to the table, two heisters coming up with the best way to keep other heisters out. Perfect, no?

‘Echoes my own sentiment, Di.’ Ovmar finally said in agreement, he pondered for a while… say more or keep it here? The mischievous asshat inside of him couldn’t help himself though. ‘Let’s keep these ideas to ourselves for now, change is coming and… not everyone is going to be pleased.’

Another addition, before Dissero started to worry himself needlessly.

‘Ashin and Spencer, I trust. Few others though, perhaps I am being paranoid, but better safe than sorry.’

"I can't recall a time or place where change was heralded by the majority with uproarious applause," Dissero remarked as he stopped to study a trinket within a tidy little display. Were he more of a political man he might've pressed Jared for more info, but such was the life of a recluse - these things rarely affected him.

Turns out they actually would, but farseeing was not one of the Archivist's many abilities.

The man flicked a curious glance at his companion, "Aye, people tell me I'm paranoid all the time, but I think there's something to be said for administering a moderate amount of paranoia in this galaxy."

And the next, he thought to himself. Otherspace wasn't exactly free of its own dangers.

"So I take it I'm to wait until moving on this little project then, ey? One of those, I'll-know-the-right-time-when-it-comes kind of things?"

[member="Jared Ovmar"]

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
‘Heh.’ the Sith Lord coughed awkwardly, giving Dissero one of his most genuine grins that was available right now. Honestly Jared wasn’t entirely sure how Di would react to the news when it would come out, part of him wished to believe he was doing the Archivist a favor… but the other part, the older part that had finally grown up? Well, it knew that he wasn’t doing his friend any favors.

It would be a hard time, a time where Jared would have to put a lot of weight on his shoulders and he wasn’t doing it gladly. But the Fringe needed this, of this he was sure, and [member="Dissero"]? He would be a good addition to what he was planning.

That was the only thing he did know for sure.

‘Yeah, you will know when the time comes.’

They kept walking for a while, doing a bit more of a tour, until finally Ovmar decided to settle down on one of the benches scattered across the library, he waved Di over to sit down next to him before talking.

‘So, what do ya think?’

So he would be waiting. Fair enough. Dissero was not without patience and not without plenty of things to do to fill that time. For now he could wonder on just what exactly would mark the proper time, and knowing what he did of Ovmar it would be something loud and extremely close.

Stopping to stand before the benched Lord, the Archivist crossed his arms.

"I think salt and pepper works for you," Dissero replied smartly, grin encompassing his words.

[member="Jared Ovmar"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom