Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question Jammers Vs Stealth Tech

The Vulptex

Thief of Thieves. Ninja Master.
Got into a discussion over Baffleweave, and whether it's considered stealth tech. My argument was that jamming sensors is not true stealth, but rather disallowing someone to track something via electronics via jamming. In relation to this sub, the baffleweave should allow the suit itself to jam sensors.

I've heard several differing opinions on this, some saying that counts as stealth tech, others saying because the production is minor, the effectiveness of the stealth ability would be lower and thus sensors of a certain quality would be able to circumvent that.

Can I get a FJ's opinion on it?

Last edited:

Jack Sandrow

Writer, Character, Invasive Species
NOT A FACTORY JUDGE - but as someone who likes looking into varying degrees of protection, I would argue that jamming falls under the survivability onion layer of 'Don't be acquired', whereas true stealth is 'Don't be seen'.

threat-onion-1.png

I like Jack Sandrow Jack Sandrow 's response.

I must also add that I am not sure why production quantity should impact effectiveness.

"It's only made by one factory in Iowa, so it's not as good as this mass-produced version made by 22 factories in China" is not a logical argument to my mind.

There are some factors to consider, one is intent. Jamming and blocking sensors pushes it towards stealth. If you are using a material that is in the category of stealth on wookiee articles, how it is being used and then finally the judge looking at it. It is actually a lot better defined now then it was before where only stygium was stealth and many found ways around it for mass produced stealth technologies. Now generally some of the judges once stealth is mentioned in the sub it gets looked at closer.

The Vulptex

There are some factors to consider, one is intent. Jamming and blocking sensors pushes it towards stealth. If you are using a material that is in the category of stealth on wookiee articles, how it is being used and then finally the judge looking at it. It is actually a lot better defined now then it was before where only stygium was stealth and many found ways around it for mass produced stealth technologies. Now generally some of the judges once stealth is mentioned in the sub it gets looked at closer.
So, wait.

Is Baffleweave stealth or not? This response is slightly confusing.

I've had several subs be approved without it being marked as such, and yet the canon dictates it messes with sensors. The sub in question, mentioned in my original question, was specifically baffleweave.

Jack Sandrow

Writer, Character, Invasive Species
Again, messing with sensors doesn't necessarily mean 'stealth'.

If we want to go with a WW2 analogy, 'jamming' the radar with chaff (little bitty metal strips) was meant to say 'oooh there's a whole bunch of enemies here wooooo you have no clue where the heck we are in this sea of signals'. It's not an f117 that uses absorbent materials and angular sections to reduce its radar signature to almost nothing. It's saying 'I'm here, but you don't know where.'

THe factory does not work on precedent as rules written and unwritten (usually until yearly update) can change. It was approved almost two years ago and things can change.

It will come to the judge but I can say my personal opinion I would have had it reduced to semi-unique.

The Vulptex The Vulptex

If someone is said to obscure yourself, like Jax Sandrow's example of chaff that doesn't mean you can't be detected, just it's hard to get a lock on you, that's something we tend to allow through as not stealth. However, if you're blocking sensors, then it's stealth tech. Therefore, to answer the original question, something which jams sensors will be regarded as stealth tech by the factory.

This leads me to wonder where Electronic Countermeasures fall.

"Electronic countermeasures, otherwise known as ECM, was an electronic system designed to fool sensors into reading wrong or no information. The CIS utilized this system during the Battle of Coruscant. It was also used during the Battle of Endor by Death Squadron."

I ask, because this is a widely used technology, but would seem to fall under 'jamming sensors' which has just been identified as stealth tech, which has a raft of restrictions in the factory which have not traditionally been applied.

Box Mattox Box Mattox

ECM is generally used to blur or inhibit sensor locks rather than outright blocking them.

As Matsu mentioned earlier it generally comes down to intent, but as long as you're not blocking the sensors so you don't appear to enemy ships then that's not stealth tech to me. If you use the ECM to completely block sensors then that is stealth tech.

The Vulptex

The Vulptex The Vulptex

If someone is said to obscure yourself, like Jax Sandrow's example of chaff that doesn't mean you can't be detected, just it's hard to get a lock on you, that's something we tend to allow through as not stealth. However, if you're blocking sensors, then it's stealth tech. Therefore, to answer the original question, something which jams sensors will be regarded as stealth tech by the factory.
For reference, This was the post that started all this. I was wondering since Bob wanted to lock onto me, and the sub in question very clearly stated that it should be hard to do so. While I agree it shouldn't be impossible, doing so casually felt iffy to me, especially if they planned on calling in an airstrike on my single character.

Baffleweave from what I have read on it just obscures it doesn't make you invisible to a sensor/camera making you harder to identify as it is used primarily in clothing. It's almost like it causes static in the case of camera's and other visual senors from what I understand of it. It also confuses weapon scanners) So smugglers use it to conceal weapons) but it isn't foul proof even in the wookipeedia article it says they has a hard time with it but not that it every scanner can't so it isn't a perfect camouflage. Plus if you have competent securiety and the scanners are acting funny they would just do a standard pat down.

Basic jist is that Baffleweave has sever limitations it doesn't really hide you or silence you movements if your loud people are still going to detect you, other senors will still pick you up. Things going wonky like camera's and weapons scanners would actually single you out more then hide you so you would have to know when and how to use it properly so you don't get caught.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom