Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resolved Is the text on the new Character Creation Templates hard to read?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen a lot of the new characters being posted making use of the new templates, which is cool! But when I look at the ones with the dark backgrounds, I find the text really straining on the eyes. I started experimenting with the code, and I think it's primarily the text-shadow that's doing this for me (though the standard font in addition doesn't help either maybe). It makes the text feel a little bit blurry, and makes me personally look away quickly.

I don't know if this is just me or if others feel the same way, so I figured I'd make this and get a better feel on it. I've added two examples with and without the code down below, but I also suggest just looking at the newly made bio's and gauging how you feel about it. Maybe it's not an "issue", but maybe it is to more people. And if it is, I don't think we should leave it up to new members to make edits to divs, and make the template itself as easy on the eyes as we can.

With text-shadow:
image.png

Without

image.png

I do see what you're talking about, and it's because the shadow behind the text is lightened so it's visible on the black background and the color nearly matches the font. Kind of makes the text look like it's in motion. Definitely prefer the template without the shadow in this case.

:: HERO of KORRIBAN ::
Valery Noble Valery Noble I thought I took the text shadow off, but clearly I didn’t. Ironically and however. That same shadow does exist in the templates which had been primarily used by the GA for the last 2 years.

It’s the first complaint I’ve heard about it other than thinking to myself how my astigmatism hates it. I’ll adjust the code, and I would recommend you double check the base templates you offer to your folks in the GA as some may have it lurking as well.

Valery Noble Valery Noble I thought I took the text shadow off, but clearly I didn’t. Ironically and however. That same shadow does exist in the templates which had been primarily used by the GA for the last 2 years.

It’s the first complaint I’ve heard about it other than thinking to myself how my astigmatism hates it. I’ll adjust the code, and I would recommend you double check the base templates you offer to your folks in the GA as some may have it lurking as well.
Yeah I've actually removed the text-shadow from my posting templates because of this too. But good call on checking the ones on the GA page, and thanks for adjusting the character creation ones!

Text-shadow is probably the main offender, yeah. I like to add it to headers but keep it away from the main text.

As you touched on, it can probably be perceived differently by different people. Font, text size and the contrast between text colour and background colour probably play a role too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom