Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Invasions: Do you complain a lot OOC?

Judah Dashiell said:
See, I do not get the "cooperate to plan attacks" type of thing. No one gets a notice in the mail "Your country will be attacked in 72 hours. Cheerio!". Why not be surprised? Why not just roll with it?
The reason is that we aren't actually countries at war, we're writers on a website. Common courtesy and a little bit of storyline planning at the top levels both go a long way towards running a smooth event that's fun for, if not everyone, at least most of the folks on both sides.

@[member="Judah Dashiell"]

Judah Dashiell said:
See, I do not get the "cooperate to plan attacks" type of thing. No one gets a notice in the mail "Your country will be attacked in 72 hours. Cheerio!". Why not be surprised? Why not just roll with it?
It's...complicated.

As you and I know, another place and time 'invasions' could be done like this and was often timed expressly to take advantage of LOAs and other things. IC'ly I agree, but we are a community made from people on many time zones, and it is courtesy to at least give some warning.

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
Judah Dashiell said:

Historically this has actually sort of been the case. World War 2 is the classic example, it was absolutely impossible to prepare for an invasion without making it blindingly obvious that it's going to happen. Massing troops at the border, shifting supply bases, the sudden lack of merchant vessels in hostile harbors and so on are all give-aways, nevermind explicit statements. The Poles knew what was coming, as did the Norwegians/French/Russians/etc. Even the US knew very clearly by around the end of November that war was going to break out very shortly.

The trick is, you don't necessarily know where or how the first strike is going to fall. See: Pearl Harbor. Alternatively, it may be that you simply can't prepare well enough (Poland/Russia/US early on in the pacific) or you may prepare and subsequently execute your defense badly (France).

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Fleeting has also changed quite a bit since Summer of last year. Planning an Invasion used to involve very little detail into how many Ships would be present. We used to just wash over the ship count and claim 'background noise'. That way the set pieces in space could be dynamic but also allow as much ground-game and 1v1 as possible. I had kind of hoped that it would stop the Prime Escalation of Fleet numbers that can happen in Real Time as Fleet Characters spawn, and spawn, and spawn. Or just disappear entirely.

It was originally about 'Start Conditions'. Not 'Victory Conditions'. *shrugs* :)

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
@[member="Jay Scott Clark"]

I think that depends a lot on the involved parties. Ashin and myself squared off with our respective fleets in the invasion of Atrisia and neither of us bothered with any sort of detailed numbers. It wasn't terribly long (unexpected ceasefire and all) but I found it quite enjoyable. Had the ceasefire not occurred, it could've gone on for some time, I think, without much concern for who had more Star Destroyers left or whatever.

The Fleeting events tend to use hard numbers for the sake of balance, I believe. But it's a very different sort of thread from an invasion, and shouldn't really be compared in the same way.

I think @[member="Cyrus Tregessar"] has a point with the Fleeting vs. Invasion, and that it depends on the individuals involved. Personally, I like the idea of keeping numbers with fleeting and what we have so far, especially with how the Fleeting scheme was handled with Valen. Though it didn't go that well, I think the idea of the scheme and how everything went about was very sound and reasonable. As for Invasion, I don't have enough information looking at it to give a solid opinion, but I think it's worth looking into based on pure reasoning, though of course this is just my opinion.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Cyrus Tregessar said:
But it's a very different sort of thread from an invasion, and shouldn't really be compared in the same way.
Agreed. Apply my previous thoughts only towards Invasions taking place before December 2013, and you will have my thoughts exactly. Well said. :D

Judah Dashiell said:
Yes. But I'm talking about a skirmish here. Also, I believe in Theory Y management, not Theory X. If folks are taking advantage of others being on LOA and timing, it'll show pretty quickly. Plus, people might not know. Send a PM 'did you know so and so was out of town? Nope, that's cool, let's put this on hold for a few days.'

Lets keep the feathers out of our ruffle if an unannounced skirmish comes along.

Jay Scott Clark said:
Fleeting has also changed quite a bit since Summer of last year. Planning an Invasion used to involve very little detail into how many Ships would be present. We used to just wash over the ship count and claim 'background noise'. That way the set pieces in space could be dynamic but also allow as much ground-game and 1v1 as possible. I had kind of hoped that it would stop the Prime Escalation of Fleet numbers that can happen in Real Time as Fleet Characters spawn, and spawn, and spawn. Or just disappear entirely. It was originally about 'Start Conditions'. Not 'Victory Conditions'. *shrugs*

QFT

Louise

here for your dad
This prior preparation and objective system seems a bit out of hand.

It's becoming Invasion: Micromanagement Edition.

Also, the focus shift onto PvE in Invasions as opposed to PvP is frightening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom