Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Invasion Suggestion

Hey,

So lately with all these big invasions that are supposedly story relevant, I just started to notice that there is an issue with invasion rules. Particularly with the idea that multiple invasions can happen with a same timeline.

For instance, the GE has two invasion attacks to deal with, last month the GA had three invasions, SJO ended with three invasions in a same period as did the Dominion way back when. I know the rules don't state you can't do this but I think it encourages a form of "bullying", intentional or not. You end up pushing writers to partake in various invasions, some of which can be draining and very time consuming. It can drive people to abandon factions so they don't have to deal with invasions, can cause people to leave the site because they feel like they are forced to write for things they don't want to otherwise their faction collapses, ignoring the hard work they did in other areas.

I know that invasions aren't going to stop, and I'm not suggesting they should. It be stupid to, invasions happen IRL and they happen in SW lore. But perhaps instead of allowing a faction to suffer two or more invasions at the same time, we limit it. A faction can only declare an invasion on another faction, if they are not already in or will be in, an invasion during that same period.

This stops other factions dog piling on a factiom, reduces the saltiness people feel when they see their faction being invaded and fearing another will be close behind it. Allows a faction to recover from one invasion and means their writers aren't focused on fighting non stop for weeks.

Anyway, that's how I've felt about these invasions lately. If others disagree or have a different view they want to share, go ahead. I just feel, it creates more tension between writers than its worth. This is meant to be fun, you should be able to do what you want here, suffering through invasions so they faction you pour your heart into doesnt collapse, its not fair.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Yuroic Xeraic said:
A faction can only declare an invasion on another faction, if they are not already in or will be in, an invasion during that same period.
Nah.

A Major Faction only gets one Invasion at a time. This is enough of a restriction in my book. Anybody who says, "We're being invaded too much", ain't cut out for the Map. :(

But it's not one invasion at a time. That's my point, you end up with overlapping invasions. And not cut out for the map? If it wasn't for the map deciding whether a faction was major or not, then I'd say drop it. We're here to have fun, dealing with overlapping invasions isn't fun.

But like I said, that's my opinion.

Look, I'm not staff. Just think there should be something in place to stop multiple factions causing a faction to have overlapping invasions. Even if its just both parties of faction staff have to agree to an invasion before it can be announced is fair.

Nyx

Insert Hilarious Title Here
I honestly can't say I see a need for a rule change. Invasions are part of what makes Chaos special, part of what makes it work. Peace is rather boring. Competition breeds activity like nothing else, just like in the real world. Sometimes, people get tired of competition, that's understandable. But that's just part of life. Regulating every little thing on Chaos isn't necessary, the community polices itself, as it should.

TLDR; I don't see a need for it. We'll handle things amongst ourselves without an official staff ruling.

"I know that invasions aren't going to stop, and I'm not suggesting they should. It be stupid to, invasions happen IRL and they happen in SW lore."

Hi, yeah, I don't think they should stop invasions. I'm talking about dog piling and coordinating dog piling a faction. That needs to be shut down.

As a writer having been through multiple dog piles on different factions, I find the fact they can overlap to be draining. Three dog piles I was on the receiving end of.

One such dog pile ended up causing the death of the Dominion. Having been there when the last incarnation was born until it died was draining. The salt that came with it almost did drive me away from Chaos. (I'm glad I stuck it out, saw it through and stayed)

When it happened to the SJO, it was very hostile and salty as well, but by then I had worked through my issues with salt and just focused on the story and IC development. This was also an unwilling pile up for me.

In December when the GA was piled on, I signed up as an ally and ended up joining them willingly to give them a hand. I did not focus on the fact this was an invasion and again used it to aid in character development.

Now with two invasions announced on the GE, I'm sticking to my OOC feelings and saying it's not "right or fair". I signed up as an ally for the GE because they are getting piled on.

Personally knowing how stressful and even demoralizing multiple invasions can be, I agree there should be a cut off with one invasion going at a time. Unless it is agreed on by both FOs that more than one can happen. Just postpone that second or third invasion until the first wraps up. It allows the victim faction to recover at least a little and not feel so stressed.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Yuroic Xeraic said:
Even if its just both parties of faction staff have to agree to an invasion before it can be announced is fair.
This is not the solution you are looking for. As, we've been here before. :(

Once upon a time, what you posted above was a real rule. Alas. It didn't work out the way you think it would have worked out. What happened was one faction said No. Over, and over, and over, and over again. It became a game of partisan politics. They would say, "You can invade me, yes. But only if... blah blah blah etc etc etc." And these kind of official agreements stalled out into a game of tug-o-war. It was horrible.

And if you think being in a Major Faction is "draining"? Try rebooting the Sith Empire three times. Try rebooting the Republic. Try rebooting the Dominion. Because I'm gonna tell you right now. The problem isn't the rules. The problem isn't "Life's not Fair". The problem is people. This is a people thing.

It's you. :p

You've a better chance of trying to convince faction leaders to informally agree to not dogpile than you do getting a rule passed. For better or worse, invasions are a part of Chaos, and trying to curtail them in any way, shape, or form is going to meet a lot of resistance.

Having been on a lot of different boards, I think I can safely state that the only time I've seen a limit on invasions (or things such as invasions) working was when the community was made up of a relatively small group of writers. When you get past a certain point, it turns into a source of dramaz, like other people before me have stated. I kno it sucks to get dogpiled by invasions and others trying to get under your skin (mostly IC), but keeping that option open ireally is better, or at least a lesser evil, than other options that I've seen attempted. It's also one of the nearest forms of realism we've got when we're writing about a bunch of hot people not dying in space ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom