Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion Invasion Option - Stages?

Major Faction

Ryv

Become One With All Things
This could be an interesting idea. Maybe its even something where mandates can be a part of it. Keeping count of the "bonus" might prove an issue once the invasion season heats up and faction A is involved in 4 invasions, 2 they're the attacking, 1 they're defending, and 1 where they're an ally.

To further hurt it, maybe once that faction loses they just can't launch any invasions for a period of time.

Wind up on a cooldown stuck defending from the people you've been hammering.

I think there's a compelling story to be had in the "will we make it in time" side of arrival. On the flip side of that same argument, crawling to get to a world that's being invaded for no apparent reason, e.g. "We'll get there when we get there" is pretty much stalling.

But that's just my $0.02

I dont want to tell people any one specific thing about how they approach an invasion. I also want to see then be more than a splash in the pan. Invasions on Chaos sometimes amount to no more than rocking up, looking cool, and then forgetting they ever happened. There's some people who put a lot of effort into crafting the story. There's others who see it as one dimensional, "I'm here to beat the eff out of the other guy and that's it."

I've been there, in the second category. There's a place for it, sure, but it's kinda boring when you're actually trying to tell a story.

What I really think we need a focus on is working with the opposition to tell the best possible story. I've seen a ton of "We're going to write amongst ourselves and do our best to avoid the other side as much as we can." That's literally anathema to the criteria in the Participation category.

• Participation. An invasion is a story of conflict between two factions, and the participation of both factions will contribute to their chances for victory. This is does not include the total contribution of posts from one faction as compared to another, nor the total amount of individual writers from one faction as compared to another. This does include, but is not limited to, the level of consistent activity of both factions throughout the course of the thread, the interaction between members of both factions with the opposition from the start of the invasion to the end, the steady responses between writing partners made in a reasonable frame of time, and the amount of cooperation and teamwork between members of each faction to achieve their goals.

To further hurt it, maybe once that faction loses they just can't launch any invasions for a period of time.

I'm not much of an invasion kid, but I love this idea. Strength + tangible weakness = good!

• Love
Reactions: Ryv
" What I really think we need a focus on is working with the opposition to tell the best possible story. I've seen a ton of "We're going to write amongst ourselves and do our best to avoid the other side as much as we can." That's literally anathema to the criteria in the Participation category."
- Alkor Centaris Alkor Centaris

Give this man a medal. This is basically my sentiment on that too. The more folks are willing to work together on the story the more cool stuff will happen.

Not a bad idea, though I'd personally make it offensive Invasions only (though you do seem to have implied that, I just wanted to make it extra clear since an Invasion stun-lock seems like a thoroughly demotivating mechanic) - if you lose a defensive you already lose something tangible with a defeat, namely one (or more than one, as will be the norm with the new rules) hexes.

On an only tangentially related note, we need a mandate for stark raving mad people willing to gain extra hexes with a victory at the expense of losing hexes if they lose an Invasion, even an offensive one; Blood for the Blood God, and all that.

I would make a request that when developments unfold in war threads, one Narrator Account for each faction is chosen to post details about what is currently unfolding. Not everyone has time to read every post, and not many posts affect everyone. While I would love to engage more, I am guilty of this omission. I rely on skimming through the thread to spot text that another writer makes intentionally stand out. NPC Narrator posts would make it so nobody misses what is unfolding on either side, and maybe those posts could even provide a quick recap on situations faction members themselves have created which may involve others within any particular location, but I expect that could become tedious.

I do think an overall plan in the opening post would be nice however so factions don’t just keep tossing road blocks out against their opposition. That could be one pitfall with not opening with all the information. At least share any links to write-ups that have been approved in the opening post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom