Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Into Darkness (Firemane)

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One
[member="Laira Darkhold"] [member="Elpsis Kerrigan-Alcori"]

Tegaea nodded seriously. She knew enough about Ruusan to be aware that some Force weapon had detonated there and wiped out Jedi and Sith in equal measure in a heartbeat.
“Agreed, Colonel. These are weapons which can hurt us, and their people, so they must be found.”
Unfortunately, radiation was not something which was a universal beacon. It tended to grow stronger when left in a location, but it could be shielded. It seemed the Dominion was using tunnels deep under solid rock which kept them concealed.
“Why didn’t they launch them all?” Tegaea wondered to herself. Had there been 2 more coming at the Scarlet Destiny they’d have had to shoot them down and take the potential consequences for themselves and the planet. Perhaps they were being saved for a surprise attack later?

The transmissions from the surface were being easily picked up. Tegaea examined them with a mixture of pity and anger. These fanatics were destroying their own world because of lies and misplaced righteousness. Right now Tegaea felt she cared more about the people of Tephrike than their so called leaders.

The probe operator meanwhile had switched away from visible light to heat and infrared vision.
“Ma’am, the probable path leads into these hills, but we’re not able to penetrate the ground with this probe’s scans. We’ll need something more powerful,” they said, eyeing Kira nervously.

Meanwhile the ‘glorious victory’ of the Dominion would prove hollow as the bombardment continued to fall. First the turbolasers and then came the bombers and fighters. Key sites which could be hit with little collateral were hit from orbit, whilst pinpoint strikes were carried out by the attack craft.
However, bombing alone was never going to be the solution…unless one went all the way to a terrible extreme. If territory was to be taken it’d mean boots on the ground. Still, there was no rush. Strikes on transport, munitions and government would occur across the Dominion, seeking to cripple them before the next stage.

[member="Laira Darkhold"], [member="Tegaea Alcori"]

And so the Force nuke was hurled into the sun. It lit up like a nova. The pilots of Mirage Squadron cheered when it was finally devoured. "Ma'am, the trash is in the dumpster. Returning to Destiny to rearm," Jazan reported over the comm.

As the squadron switched directions and steered towards their mothership, she hailed one of her fellow pilots. "Remember the first time we applied for Firemane? Quite a change, yes?" she asked playfully, using Zandiri rather than Basic. To be precise, she spoke in the Khaimari dialect.

"Aye, I remember the sky people bursting into laughter when you wanted to have a go at the simulator. 'Qadiri cannot pilot. Go back to riding lizards in the desert'," Amaya responded over the same line. She still sounded a little bitter about it.

"Look at us now. Elite squadron, saving their arses. And we're just getting started. The stars are ours for the taking," Jazan responded happily. Admiral Jazan Jai Khahal had a nice ring to it - perhaps one day. Be it as commander of a Firemane fleet, a Qadiri one if her people found their place in the stars instead of being dependent on the sky people or of the largest pirate fleet she could amass. To her, the future glowed as bright as the sun that had just eaten up the Force bomb.

xxx

From the bridge of the Destiny, Leonina wached while destruction rained down upon Nexus City. As a veteran of the Republic-One Sith conflict, she was no stranger to warfare and the bloodshed it caused. Civilians - especially children - were always those that suffered most. She could imagine Dominions civilians huddled in emergency shelters, filled with fear as they prayed for the devastation to cease. She would not put it past the planet's fanatical leaders to carelessly use poorly armed civilians as cannon fodder after whipping them up into a violent frenzy. Disgust rose inside. She had left the corrupt Republic for a reason.

The part of her that had once been a Jedi could not help wonder when the Tephriki had gone off the deep end. When had necessity simply become a convenient rationalisation for their heinous actions? Had they been rotten from the start like Jorus C'baoth? Or succumbed to madness like Depa Billaba? Recordings of Mace Windu's journal from his mission to save his former Padawan had been preserved in the Jedi Temple. One passage had always struck a chord with Leonina: That war required the Jedi to cease being Jedi. Depa had lost herself in the jungle, but she had been right about that.

"The Dominion's 'Jedi' are damn good at fighting. Their troops compensate for their lack of modern tech with the Force, and it looks like they have plenty of adepts to throw at us," she spoke up, cutting her musings short. Time to focus on the job at hand: Defeat the enemy.

"When we deploy people planetside, we should have some of the Silencers accompany them. They're very small in number, but they can help take the edge off attacks from high-value Dominion Force-Users by dampening their powers. Sergeant Hikari Saito is in command."

xxx

Meanwhile, the Battlemaster had escaped to safety. Now she was deep beneath the earth inside an armoured train-like vehicle. It was manned and guarded by clone troopers personally loyal to her. Rather than wear the shiny - and impractical - pristine white armour of the guard, their suits were covered with camo paint.

"Sir, let me look at that arm," a clone medic said. The Battlemaster was not too proud to refuse treatment. The Force could do miraculous things, but she was no healer and holding back the pain only accomplished so much.

"Time is of the essence. What is our status, Eeth?"

Eeth was a Clone Commander, following in the footsteps of clone troopers like Cody who had fought for the Jedi and the Republic centuries ago. He'd probably also had to put up with death charging Jedi generals. "The Purifiers are en route to sites Alpha and Beta, sir. The Inquisition has organised a man hunt for you, Marshal. They have declared you an enemy of the Light." When among soldiers, the Battlemaster preferred to be addressed by her military rank.

The Battlemaster looked rather unperturbed by this. "If you've lived as long enough as I, being excommunicated loses its novelty. It's vexing that the timing is so unfortunate. Continue."

"A general order has been passed, ordering every man, woman and child in the city to arm themselves, dig trenches, build barricades and resist the invaders. Militia forces from across the Dominion have been mobilised and ordered to march to the capital."

"Madness, madness and stupidity," the Battlemaster spoke caustically. "It leaves our rear exposed to our enemies, and just gives the invaders a mass of targets to shoot at. If we fight the invaders, it must be done intelligently. The way the accursed rebels fought us. Out in the open, we are walking targets. They seem reluctant to commit large forces. We can use this to gain advantage by wearing them down. But to do this we must preserve as many of our forces from their bombardment as possible. Any word on the prisoner?"

"According to our man in the Inquisition, she was removed from the Ministry as soon as the bombardment began. We're working on discerning her location. Apparently the order came straight from the Grand Inquisitor."

"Of course it did. I can imagine what he has in mind. Short-sighted fool. She must be found. The chance that we can use her to end this idiocy is small, but nonetheless she is a valuable bargaining chip to keep the invaders from just razing us from space."

"If I may ask there, what are these people? They cannot be demons or ghosts. They bled and died just like any man when we fought them," the Clone Commander surmised. His tone was respectful, but matter-of-fact.

"They are mortals like us. Based on the recording of their conversations with our unfortunate sister Airla, I reckon they are what we used to call a corporation. A profit-seeking association of merchants who use their wealth and military strength to gain power over others. Like the ancient Trade Federation, and sadly better equipped. But this is also a vulnerability. A protracted war far away from their markets is not profitable. Hence our war must be against their accountants," she looked thoughtful for a moment. "Reach out to the First, Third and Sixth Legion. Use those Vong communicators. As repulsive as utilising anything made by these creatures is, it will ensure that the transmissions are not intercepted."

xxx

Far away, in an indeterminate time period, things were proceeding at the Inquisition black site. "She's a risk. She's been trying to agitate among the prisoners. It's only a matter of time before she tries to make a run for it. It sets a bad example for the other prisoners. Just lock her up in solitary confinement. Or give her a painless execution. It would be more merciful," Jedi Diona insisted. It would save their prisoner from losing her identity and becoming a hollow shell.

Inquisitor Lea shook her head. "We are not butchers, Diona. We do not murder our prisoners. You are a good Jedi but you think like a Guardian. She still believes that her rescue is imminent. But we shall free her from the fog of lies the Dark Side has enveloped her with. The work we are doing now will be beneficial for entire generations. Imagine a society where no Inquisition, no camps and no surveillance is necessary because every citizen is of one mind."

"The enemy is here, Inquisitor. The temple has been levelled. Our lines of communication with Nexus City are irregular at best. We don't have time for this." Diona stuck to her guns, though she doubted it would help.

"And imagine the effect on their morale when the Sith they have come here for embraces the Light. She is an important bargaining chip. Fret not about the invaders. A national redoubt has been prepared and the hammers of light are only a foretaste of what the Dominion shall unleash."

xxx

She was no longer in the mines. At some point she had collapsed and been unable to continue toiling. Eventually, Diona had taken her away. Now she was in another dark room. Her dirty prison clothes had been removed. First they washed her with a hose, spraying her with cold water. After she had been dried in a rather rough manner, they cut her hair. Until every last red lock had fallen to the ground, leaving her bald.

Then they strapped her to a bed. When she struggled - a futile endeavour due to her state of exhaustion - they gave her an injection. Shortly thereafter paralysis set in. Her limbs would not move, no matter how much she tried to will them into motion. So she tried to use her mind. Guards were set aflame, objects were hurled around and turned into improvised missiles. Fire extinquishers had put out the flames. But the collar had surged to life and the pain spiked. Till it hurt too much to even think about fighting back and resisting the inevitable.

Wires were stuck into her head. They were connected to a machine and a monitor displayed her brain patterns. The white-robed Inquisitor Lea and two other Jedi approached her, while a technician observed the neural oscillations. "We are here to help you," the Inquisitor spoke softly, in a gentle tone.

"You are hurting yourself by lashing out. This is a place of healing. You want to heal your mind and get better." Her voice was almost melodic. The three Jedi pushed into her mind. In her state of exhaustion, she could not fight them anymore.

"Firemane has clouded your mind with lies. They are driven only by greed and have come here to exploit Tephrike. Siobhan Kerrigan sees you as a tool. She and Tegaea carelessly cast you aside and sent you here to die because you would not submit to her whims. You have submitted to the Jedi trials to free yourself." They had viewed her memories, now they would rearrange them. She wanted to scream, but her tongue faltered. Through the combined efforts of the mentalists and that of the machine, images were beamed into her mind.

The male Yuuzhan Vong stepped forward into the bioluminescent light, extending his empty hand to the redhead. Laira looked at him with confusion, searching for any sign of malice or treachery. Common sense told her that they wouldn’t have gone through so much trouble to rescue her and her friends only to kill them, but having just been in intense pain at their behest, she wasn’t quite so sure. “Why’d you harness me?” She asked, not yet sure enough to take his offered hand.

Your kind is responsible for every evil done in the history of the universe. Surely you can understand our need to protect ourselves from your curse.” He answered, not yet backing down.

My kind? My curse? I’m sorry I don’t understand.

Force wielders. The embrace places pressure on the parts of you exhibiting the Force traits until you stop using them, and then the collar blocks those parts from functioning properly.” He had a point, at least somewhat skewed and disillusioned, but from a perspective he was right.

Laira’s hand touched the little padlock at her throat, inspecting it with her fingers as he mentioned it. She’d heard of such devices but had never seen them. “Is it permanent?” She asked, suddenly worried that they might have cured her like the Mandalorian Empire had been doing to its citizens.

No, taking the collar off will return your curse. We understand many of your kind feel an emotional attachment to it, and given that we brought you here to negotiate, it wouldn’t do us much good if we caused you lasting emotional pain. Let me be clear, we are not the Dominion.” Laira finally took his offered hand, and the vong helped her down from the Embrace of Pain, leading her out of the chamber and through dug out tunnels to a room with a table and a pair of rough hewn wooden chairs. “Please, make yourself comfortable. I would like to interrogate you before we continue.

The redhead eyed him with suspicion, “My friends?

They are waiting for your return. They’ve been informed you will be some time. I can let you see them if necessary.

It is. I need to know they are safe.” After she had been subjected to the Embrace of Pain and had a Force nullifying collar placed upon her, Laira had doubts about their good intentions. The redhead wanted some assurances, and one he was offering she might as well claim before they began interrogating her.

The Vong nodded, and gestured to the female that shadowed him. Laira had seen several humans and other aliens species amongst their number, but it seemed that this particular group included a number of Yuuzhan Vong in leadership positions. A moment later she returned with Leo, Naya, and Gel, whose injuries had been tended to with bandages and seemed to be in good health all things considered.

Laira hugged Leo, letting him look her over and check on her collar. She noted a blush when he first saw it and a shallow gulp he attempted to hid and filed that information away for later. “Are you all okay?” She asked quietly, the two Yuuzhan Vong still watching her closely. The redhead wanted to ask how Leo was holding up, how Naya felt having lost so many of her friends, but the flurry of combat followed by running for their lives hadn't given her an opportunity.

Yeah, they cleared out a little bunkroom for the four of us down the tunnel. They don’t seem to want to harm us, though it is certain we are not free to leave.” Naya answered dutifully. She wanted to get back to the Destiny and debrief her commander, much like Laira wanted to get off this hell-hole of a planet.

They want to talk to me, afterwards we’ll see what we can do about getting back tot he ship. It might be a while.

Just yell if you need us, hun. We’re just down the tunnel.

The female Yuuzhan Vong interjected herself, ushering the three other survivors out of the room and back where they had come from. The male took a seat at the table and gestured for Laira to join him in the chair across from his. “We must begin.

Name, rank, and organization to start.

Laira Darkhold, Lieutenant, the Resistance attached to Firemane.

Your commanders?

Captain Kira Ul, Commander Alcori overall.” She wasn’t sure what information to give him, what might compromise the fleet or the other Firemane people. Hopefully some simple names weren’t confidential.

Alcori is commanding the ships above us?

Yes.

And he is a Force Cursed like yourself?

No, no she isn’t. She’s normal, I suppose. She is a redhead like me though. A little older, and maybe not quite as pretty, but she’s still smoking.

Interesting.” He wrote down some notes in a language Laira didn’t recognize, muttering even as he did so. It sounded like a dialect of Yuuzhan Vong, but she couldn’t be sure. “What are your intentions on Tephrike as far as you are aware?

Originally we were just exploring and making contact with new worlds. Now we are at war with the Dominion. We had been meeting with them to talk, and see about the Sith on your planet, but that has taken a back seat for now I’m sure.” Laira was being a little catty with her answers letting a little teenage bitchiness bleed into her tone.

The Yuuzhan Vong seemed not to notice, or he didn’t seem to mind the sassiness coming from the redhead as he remained composed and professional. “And how well supplied is your fleet?

Very. This is just an exploration group. My people have access to ships that make the one in orbit look like a snubfighter.” The Solemn Purpose was probably the only one that could possibly fit that description, everything else was smaller than the Scarlet Destiny, but better they not know everything about them. He made some more notes, and seemed to be done asking questions for the time being, as though he was just killing time. “Do you mind if I ask you a few questions.” He didn’t answer, but his expression seemed to imply the redhead could try and that he might answer if it suited him. “Why help us?

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. It’s that simple.” Hardly the best answer he could have given.

But don’t you distrust Force Sensitives?

Yes, that’s why we harnessed you. And why we will demand any Force Sensitive sent to treat with us likewise be harnessed.

Laira pursed her lips, seemingly amused with all the cloak and dagger. As though she was on the receiving end of this kind of interrogation every other week and it was almost like a hobby at this point. “And what do you get out of all this?

Your people are burning down the Dominion as we speak. That is reward enough.

But?

We will also be requesting supplies be delivered when your allies come to retrieve you.” There is what she wanted to know.

So it’s less a rescue, more of a ransom?

Requesting. We won’t hold you hostage, but we would appreciate certain supplies being delivered to us for our trouble. Please stay here. I will return shortly.” He stood and left the room, closing the ramshackle door behind him. Laira was certain there was a guard posted outside, and that his request was more of a demand, regardless, she stayed. No reason to antagonize the host while he wasn’t being malicious. After about ten minutes he returned and sat down across from her again. Two technicians, a human and a duros, followed with him, bringing in what appeared to be an ancient, rundown holocomm array. “Do you know your Commander’s communication codes?

Um, not off the top of my head. I know the ship code though.” At her response, he slid a code reader across the table.

Enter it, and you may speak with your commander. Do not attempt to reveal our location to them. You can tell them you were rescued in good faith by the Republican Guard.” Laira typed in the code to transmit to the Scarlet Destiny, and the projector on the table started transmitting.

The image the ship would be receiving was just of her, wounds somewhat taken care of, but still dirty and with dried blood across her face and collar around her throat, hair damp from the jungle rain. “Hiya guys.

[member="Elpsis Kerrigan-Alcori"]
[member="Tegaea Alcori"]

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One
[member="Elpsis Kerrigan-Alcori"] [member="Laira Darkhold"]

With the nuke dealt with permanently, Tegaea could relax fractionally. “Good job, Commander.”
Once they were off the call she looked to one of her officers. “Note a commendation for Mirage Squadron. I suspect they’ll get a few more of those soon.”

Tegaea listened to Leonina’s words next, nodded. “You’re right, their skills are strong. The Force is a leveller which can compensate somewhat for technology in many cases, as we saw on Tygara. Brief Sergeant Saito, I hope to have some strike locations soon. Thank you, Colonel.”

Tegaea had excused herself for a moment to get some refreshment, but she was soon being called back.
“Ma’am, call from the planet below. You’d better come see.”
Tegaea mentally prepared herself and headed into the comms room. There was Laira, alive! However, there were some disturbing things to notice. The first thing which came to notice was a collar around her neck, next the clear signs of battle.
“Laira…” she said softly. Her jaw set. “Where are you? What have they done to you?” she demanded.
"I wish I could say ma'am, but we are safe and being cared." Laira tried a weak grin to reassure the elder redhead as best she could, "We were rescued by a rebel group who are uneasy about Force Sensitives. The collar blocks my ability to use the Force. Otherwise they've been nothing but generous hosts."
“I see. Let me talk to these…rebels.”
Laira nodded and moved aside to allow a Vong into view. Tegaea was not a big fan of Vong, even though as a non-Force user she was much less a target compared to others historically.
“Subaltern Anarak Quoreal, Commander Alcori, we extend our greetings on behalf of the Republican Guard.”
“I thank you for your assistance with my downed pilots. However, I must strongly protest the application of collars to them. They are not slaves, and never will be!”
He held up a hand. “Your patience, Commander Alcori, we have done this merely to…contain…the curse within the red haired human. They are not prisoners, and you may send down a shuttle to collect them. The process is completely reversible.”
“Good. I will send down a shuttle to collect them at once. I will not consent to any Firemane individuals being collared however. The shuttle will come down will full escort. You will forgive my caution however, I have already been betrayed once today.”
“The Dominion are animals, the curse has fully taken them over. That is why we fight them. It is our custom to neutralise the threat of the cursed…but if you send those like yourself not afflicted there is no need to collar.”
Tegaea knew the phrase ‘the enemy of my enemy is my friend’ but rarely found it useful. In this case though…. She decided to let the collaring thing drop…for now…and send only non-Force users.
“What are you demanding in return?”
“Demanding? Nothing. Wanting? Supplies of whatever you have, food, medicine, batteries and communicators. Your people will be returned regardless in good faith, but an understanding might be beneficial.”
“Indeed. Well if my people are returned as you say I think your requests are reasonable. It will take time to deliver.”
“Of course, Commander. In the meantime, I will provide Lieutenant Darkhold with a map detailing known Dominion locations nearby, some are carefully concealed.”
“Good. I hope this will be the start of a productive partnership.”
“I will pass message on to my commanders. They can negotiate further with you regarding specifics.”
“Very well.” Co-ordinates were sent about where the shuttle could land, and a time.

When the call ended Tegaea exited the communications room and looked to her crew and staff.
“I want a shuttle to head down and pick up Laira and her surviving crew. Cover it with gunships. Logistics, if this goes off without a hitch I want you to start preparing some non-military supplies. These rebels might not be all they could be, but they are enemies of the Dominion and know far more about it than us. Better them than us getting lost in the jungle. Get going.”

(Thanks to Laira for her collaboration)

[member="Tegaea Alcori"], [member="Laira Darkhold"]

"Aliura...thank the Force you're alright. I was so worried. What did they do to you?"
"They fixed me." She spoke in a dull monotone. There was no life in her eyes.
"What...what do you mean?"
"They taught me the truth."
"I'm so sorry, Aliura. I should not have betrayed you. But they threatened me, and the others in my pod. They promised me that you would be..."
"Not be harmed? But they have not harmed me, my friend? Everything is clear now. There is emotion, there is calm."

Diona's hands were clenching and unclenching as she watched the display. She stood guard while Inquisitor Lea and the two other mentalists imposed their will upon their captive. She could sense the Sith's confusion and fear. Feel her futile attempts to resist their intrusion. As the image of Aliura flashed through her mind, she needed to take a deep breath to steady herself.

Slowly, she felt the will of their prisoner wavering. Come on, Sith, the traitorous thought popped up in her mind ere she could stop it. Thoughtcrime! the obedient, loyal part of her mind screamed. To doubt the Order was treason. An open mind was like a freshyl tuned sod. Unless it was sown with the generous message of the Light and the bonds of love, the insidious weed of the dark side would take root. Yet she found herself hoping the prisoner would resist. Perhaps lash out. Then Diona would do her duty and kill her - and thus spare her. It would be an act of mercy. For a moment, the prisoner pushed back. Diona breathed in, then received the order she had been dreading.

"Jedi Diona, join us," Inquisitor Lea ordered.
"I am...not qualified in mentalism, Inquisitor."
"And you are one of the best Force meld specialists in the Order, are you not? It is your energy I need," Lea sharp words cut through her shield of excuses. "We are losing her. Join me now. If not performed correctly, the rite can do irreparable damage to her mind. Together, we shall lead her into the Light."

A few tense seconds passed, then reluctantly Diona opened her mind. Bonds of the Force connected them as her mind melded with that of Lea. She became a conduit of energy, lending the senior Jedi Inquisitor her strength and focus. Filled with renewed strength, Lea once again touched the mind of the prisoner. Her words, melodic as ever, resonated inside Elpsis' mind.

Diona could feel the Sith's resolve weaken. Bit by bit, she was brought under their dominion. For just a brief moment, as their minds touched, some of the images that were being flushed from the Sithling's mind spilled over to her. The Jedi took a step back, shaking a bit. This could not be true. None of it could. Ere she could process any of it, the ritual was over. The prisoner had slumped into her bed, looking confused.

Inquisitor Lea stepped forward, gently taking Elpsis' hand in hers. "Do not be afraid. You are among friends, sister. What is your name?"
"Elpsis...Elpsis Kerrigan-Alcori," the girl said, confused and fearful. "My head hurts."
"The pain will pass," Lea said and touched the girl's forehead, working her healing magic. "You know where you are, yes?"
"Y-Yes...Tephrike. This is the Jedi prison."
"Whom do you serve and did you come to our world?"
"Firemane. We came here to...conquer and exploit the natives," the words left Elpsis' tongue ere she could think. "W-wait, why did I say that? My parents..." she looked deeply distressed.
"Tell us about them. Tell us about Siobhan Kerrigan."
"She is...a Dark Jedi. She's cruel, arrogant and sent me here to," the girl's heartbeat was racing."
"Calm, dear," Lea interjected softly. As she spoke, she willed the Force to soothe the girl. "Dark Jedi is just another word for Sith. Once you walk down the dark path, forever it will dominate your destiny. She tried to lead you down the same road, but in your heart of hearts, you knew it was wrong. So she sent you here to perish. But worry not, we are here to help you."
"Yes...you are."
"The road will be arduous, my dear. To walk in the Light is not easy, for temptations is never far. But if you free yourself from the fog of lies Kerrigan and her confederates have sought to trap you in, you will get better."

The Republican Guard, as they were called, were accommodating. As accommodating as a group of rebel fighters living in underground tunnels deep in a jungle could be. The room they had provided Laira and her friends was a bare hole dug into the side of a tunnel wall with a single bioluminescent light and four alcoves for sleeping rolls for the survivors to stay until all the details and coordinates were discussed with Firemane. The rebels were very careful about providing Tegaea with information as to their whereabouts, and were equally cautious about showing the survivors the entrances to the Rat’s Nest. During the two days she was stranded in the underground encampment, Laira, Leo, and Naya talked about the dogfight and the Dominion’s betrayal. Laira asked them to be blunt, to tell her if they doubted her ability to lead and if they held any blame to her.

I just need to know. I didn’t earn my rank, I came into it because I’m a good pilot and I have Force Powers.” Laira started, hoping they weren’t harboring feelings of resentment from her. She was numb to the Force, dull and felt so alone. Usually she could feel the emotions and state of mind that everyone around her was in, but now there was only quiet and somber faces.

Yes, but I don’t blame you for the deaths of my comrades. You didn’t pull the trigger. You are a good person with a kind heart. But it is hard for a good person to be a good leader. You must decide whose lives you want to protect, and the galaxy is rarely black and white. Sometimes you will get your own people killed, sometimes you will kill innocents. You must decide which is worse for yourself, and you will not always be right.” Naya was honest, but left Laira with a hug of reassurance and a warm smile as if letting the redhead know there was no hatred.

Laira was a pilot, she was raised a princess and a warrior, but she was taught to be a leader, responsible for the lives of her own and those of her enemies who came from all backgrounds. It came naturally to her mother, and her father had never enjoyed it. He talked very little of the people he had lost and in all her years of school and training, never had he taught her how to cope with the loss of her compatriots. Perhaps because he didn’t know the answer. Her time spent with Phylis, a Jedi Master she had met with to learn of the ways of the Jedi had been focused on other subjects and now Laira knew she needed to be taught how to lead.

Leo was quiet when Naya was present, letting her say her piece without a word. Only when she had left did he begin to confide in Laira all that he had suffered that day. She knew he and Cix had been close, but she couldn’t understand the bond they had shared and without the Force she couldn’t tell how deeply he had been injured by Cix’s passing. The two Death Troopers had come up through the academy together, served the Empire together on the battlefield, and defected together. Laira tried her best to be comforting, hoping that her presence wouldn’t cause him pain, but as she listened she realized he had never wanted to join the Resistance. Leo had only joined because Cix had believed in it, he had wanted to see freedom for others as much as himself, even at the cost of his own life. In those moments of weakness, the Death Trooper had let himself cry. He also told her that he couldn’t be a soldier anymore, he didn’t have it in him to continue marching into hell hole after hell hole for a nameless, faceless government he didn’t believe in.

They spent the next day roaming the jungle with the Republican Guard, marching through it to the place where Firemane was set to pick them up. The shuttle and its gunships arrived shortly after they had marched them there, Laira’s collar was removed and the group was taken by the Resistance squad back to the Scarlet Destiny where Laira spent the next twelve hours in a Bacta Tank and had a slug dug out of her shoulder, Naya having the same done to her while Gel and Leo just got a once over and a good night’s rest.

Then they spent the next day being evaluated by the ship’s doctors, medical scans, and other ones carried out by Doctor Ur’dax at Captain Ul’s insistence to check for embedded vong implants that may have been placed within the survivors. She seemed worried about any of them being conditioned and forced to spy on the ship for the Rebels, but Ur’dax eventually cleared them and placed Laira into a bacta tank so she could recover from the ordeal. Her shoulder had to be cut open to pull the slug from her flesh, and her hand required stitches that were several days later than any medical professional would have wanted.

When she awoke from the bacta tank, she showered and dressed, back into a fresh catsuit and flight uniform over it for debriefing by Commander Alcori. Leo joined her, back in his black Death Trooper armor but holding his helmet and unarmed. Gel had been relatively uninjured so he was probably already interviewed while Naya was still under medical examination with a concussion in addition to her wounds. Elpsis was missing, lost during the Dominion's ambush, and believed to be captured by the Jedi Inquisitors. According to Geva that probably involved torture for information and would end in some form of public execution, which made Laira's spine shiver. She missed her friend, Elpsis could have helped her, and likely she could have helped Elpsis if she had been a little more decisive in the field.

For now she had a few minutes to herself sitting in an antechamber with Leo waiting for Tegaea to finish a meeting, probably preparing for an attack on the Dominion of Light giving Laira a few moments to collect herself after all the buzzing around and examinations by various doctors. She started going over her memories of the battle and being stranded.

[member="Tegaea Alcori"]

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One

It was not long after Laira arrived that Leo exited. They were left to their own devices to discuss things for a few moments before the door opened once more. Standing there was Firana Marux, the Firemane diplomat who had been sent to the surface to parlay.

“Lieutenant Darkhold, Lady Alcori will see you now,” she said with a smile. As she fell in beside her she slowed Laira. “They tell me you were a close friend of Elpsis? I just want you to know; I was there, she saved my life. When the Jedi attacked us she held them off long enough for us all to escape. I…I want to help do anything I can to get her back, and I know you do too…if you’re up to it.”

They passed into Tegaea’s study. The redhead was standing by a holomap, but turned as Laira entered.
“Come in. The doctors tell me your shoulder is recovering? I hope you’re ready to fight again because I want you on the front lines in our efforts to find Elpsis. Your rebel ‘comrades’ have been delivered a good amount of supplies and goods and we’ve been providing air support and technical advice. I am not going to launch a full-scale invasion or occupation; this does nothing for us. I will continue to bombard and pound the Dominion whilst the Rebels operate on our behalf. Meanwhile I am putting together two powerful strike forces whose objectives will be to find Elpsis and to behead the Dominion. I want to offer you a place in either, Laira.”

XXX

Meanwhile, in a hidden bunker far below Tephrike’s surface the Battlemaster was receiving an update.
“Marshal, I have news. The outsiders have been seen landing in this area of jungles and mountains. We believe that the heretical rebels lurk there.”
“Common cause. This is what the foolishness of Council, it has pushed the outsiders into the arms of the rebels. Where we might have tried to use them against the invaders now they will work for our destruction. However, all is not lost. These invaders seem reluctant to land large amounts of soldiers, they know the cost would be more than its worth. I suggest a strategy to alternately punish them and alienate them from their new friends. What of the militias?”
“Heavy losses on the Ever Loyal Vanguard and Champions of Purifying Light, Marshal. Even marching at night the invaders use technology to find and target them. The Grandmaster demands they move swiftly still though.”
The Battlemaster shook her head. “We cannot defeat the invaders with this lead weight around our neck. Send messages to our allies in Nexus City and beyond that we must strike to destroy the tyrant as once Master Windu did. With that done we can turn our attentions to the invaders and their allies. Send the First Legion to skirmish with the rebels, determine their locations and hotspots, never get drawn into open battle. Keep them penned up for now, ready our forces when matters…take their course. May the Force be with us. “

Diona stood there, as rigid and still as a statue. It was the only way to keep her composure. By forcing an expression that made her face look like granite.
“Can you...remove the collar? It hurts. I cannot see.“ the Sith – Diona had trouble seeing her as one – sounded distressed and pained.
”I am sorry, Elpsis, but is necessary.”
“I'll be good. I won't hurt anyone. With it, everything is dark. All I see is black.”
Inquisitor Lea placed a calming hand on Elpsis' shoulder. “I know. We understand. But it is a trial you must face. The collar keeps wicked thoughts from your mind. Once you have rid yourself of the taint inside you, it will be removed. It is your penance.”
“Alright...I understand. I want to get better. But...what must I do?”
“You must unlearn what you have learned. Free yourself from the fog of lies Firemane has shrouded you in. Why don't we start with your past? You were a Jedi, yes?”
There was some hesitation. Diona saw a pained flicker on Elpsis' face. “Y-yes. Many years ago, when I was a kid. My adoptive parents – not the Kerrigan-Alcoris – gave me up because they couldn't handle me. The Jedi didn't understand me. Then my...f-father captured me. A Sith. He did...”
“Horrible things to you. He was a vile monster,” Lea finished for her. “An avatar of evil. Please continue. What happened then?”
“The Jedi rescued me. And I...ran away. I could not help take it anymore.”
Lea reached out to raise the girl's chin. “The darkness swallowed you and you ran. Are you sure that it was the Jedi who didn't understand you? Or that the darkness pulled you away?”
“I...I mean...”
“The dark side is insidious, child. Your evil father would have done anything to get you into his clutches. He may have twisted your mind without you noticing. After you ran away, you lived a life of crime, then became a slave of a Dark Jedi cult.” Diona could feel the Inquisitor using her gift on the prisoner, pressing her will upon her mind.
“I never thought about it that way. I just wanted to be f-free. To make my own choices. Not to be caged.”
“The Dark Side promises freedom, but that merely masks the chains it binds its slaves with. Only total discipline and commitment can save us from it. An open mind is like a freshly turned sod. Unless it is sown with the generous message of the Light and the bonds of love, the insidious weeds of heresy will take root. But what about your birth mother, Coryth? Where was she in all this?”
Elpsis' expression darkened. Diona felt the anger rise inside the girl.“She abandoned me at birth,” she spat. “She was never there for me. When we met again, years later, she acted like she wanted to be a family...but then one day she just ran away like I did not matter.”
“And left you in the clutches of a Dark Jedi – a Sith by another name. A true follower of the Light would have never done that. Nor would she have consorted with them. The true Jedi do not abandon their flock. Here, we are all brothers and sisters. We are all bound by devotion to the Light. It gives us the strength to confront evil.”
“You want to f-fight my parents, f-fight Firemane...”
“To free yourself from the darkness and defend the innocents of this world. It is the only way for you to atone...”
Elpsis' lips moved, as she tried to formulate words, but she seemed to falter. She breathed heavily, shaking. The machine howled. “Master, we're losing her,” a technician called out.
“Administer a dosage of ambrosia,” Lea ordered.
Quickly a healer took ahold of Elpsis and jabbed a needle into her. This stopped her limbs from convulsing. The expression on her face turned glazed and she slumped.
“We have made a first step. Now it is important to continue the process and monitor her thoroughly. Return her to her cell, Jedi Diona.”
“Yes, Inquisitor,” Diona said mechanically. Her voice sounded almost robotic. “She's...been receptive. Perhaps we could move her to a category two cell?” she asked carefully.
The Inquisitor shook her head. “No, it is an important part of her penance. You may leave the foot shackles off, but be sure to cuff her. And keep her under guard. We do not want to her to come to harm."
“Yes, Inquisitor.” With that, Diona disconnected the wires that had been attached to Elpsis' skull and picked her up. It struck her that the girl had lost weight. She felt fragile in her arms. Without a further word she left the room.
It was as they approached the cell that Elpsis suddenly grabbed the Jedi Guardian's arm. “Help me,” she pleaded, sounding only half-conscious and more than a little delirious. Diona's heart thumped inside her chest and she quickly dropped Elpsis onto the cold, hard ground. “P-Please,” the girl tried again, but the Jedi cuffed her. Then she slammed the cell door shut. She could not leave the cell block quickly enough.
The Jedi Guardian retreated to her Spartan bunk. Once the door was shut, a sigh escaped her throat and she took a breath to steady herself. “There is no emotion, there is calm,” she recited. The mantra did not help. She walked over to a shelf, took the familiar can down, opened it up and pulled out her syringe. She prepared it, then jabbed it into her neck. Her hands trembled a bit. As the drug took effect, there was pain, then she felt light-headed as she was transported elsewhere, away from the grim reality she inhabited. Or so she hoped at any rate. Her vision grew hazy. But this time there would be no escape. In her daze, she beheld the features of Aliura. She saw the Twi'lek being dragged, screaming. As Diona flinched from the sight, Aliura raised an accusatory finger and yelled at her: “You betrayed me!” Diona shook, but then the image vanished. But her drug-induced trip did not end here.
She felt a presence touch her mind. Feelings and memories that were not hers coursed through her. In the place of Aliura, she saw their Sith prisoner, dressed in a green uniform. Standing before here was a domineering, red-maned woman in a black dress, lightsabre at her side. “We will conquer this planet and bring it under the dominion of Firemane. Remember your duty, Elpsis. This is your chance to prove yourself,” the figure spoke. “Yes, Mother. I will do as you command,” the girl responded. The same redheaded girl then clove through Dominion soldiers and workers with a broad smile on her face.
Diona could not help the feeling of wrongness that could overcame her. Soon the landscape shifted, and she found herself upon one of the moons of Tephrike, standing in a barren landscape. Dominion soldiers charged the outsiders with reckless abandon. She heard a familiar voice call out. "Colonel, these people are no threat to us. We can end this without killing everyone. I can calm them." A frightened technician in Dominion uniform faced the familiar redhead. "Yes...t-talk. You're not going to hurt me? The Inquisition will punish me for...heresy." "No, no one will hurt you. I won't let anyone hurt you."

xxx

It was dark in the cell – and damp. The empath shivered. Once again she was alone. Here and there, she heard the guards move up and down the corridor outside. “We want to help you,” the Inquisitor's words resonated in her mind. Who was right? Who was wrong? Nothing made sense. She no longer knew who she was. If the Dominion wanted to help her, why did they cage her like an animal, leaving her to drown in fear, pain and confusion?

Her memories told her that her parents had sent her hear to die. But there were other memories, showing them to be caring and capable of compassion. Who was she betraying? The cuffs made her hands hurt, for they were bound tightly around her wrists. As she huddled in the cell, tears dripped down her face. Her whimpers soon turned into an all-out sob. Her blind eyes turned to the ceiling. "Why did you leave me? What did I do?" There was no response. No one came here.

No one except the rats. Once again they bit and scratched her. Everything hurt so much that she barely felt it. But then...one stopped. As if sensing her pain. Moving over towards her on its tiny feet, it gave her a lick. The girl breathed in heavily. Beads of sweat dripped down her forehead. A new memory reared its head inside her mind. Like closing your eyes and reverse blinking very quickly.

Tomorrow, the Inquisition would come again and take her away. They would connect her to the machine again. There would be more tests. You are stronger than you think. A voice that was not hers came unbidden, resonating inside her mind. Her anger gave her strength, pushing past her exhaustion. Slowly, the collar began to heat up at the hinge. Each burst of heat that she poured into the action was a brief one. Each tired her out even more. Each brought her a step closer to rendering it useless. She would not be caged like some animal.

Laira sat waiting, thinking over all that had happened since the starfighters had first left the hangar aboard the Scarlet Destiny days ago. The fight in the air, she had hesitated, hoping that the Dominion had good men and women within it that would recognize the treachery of a few and put a stop to it. The redhead had desperately wanted the attack to be quashed by the Dominion but it had not, the others had simply joined in on the ambush and killed her pilots while she sat back hoping.

Then in the jungle, she had been accosted by more evil, and it was simple then to do the deed. She had pulled the trigger there without worry or trouble. She had given them their chance to show mercy and be kind, and to them she was a monster no matter how she looked or acted. Laira called that evil in her mind, cruel and dispassionate. Then they had fought at the starfighter, waiting for rescue that never came. The six of the survivors had slain dozens of the Dominion militiamen in the jungles, and the whole time Laira knew she was in the right. She knew where she stood and that those men represented darkness in a manner that required they be stopped.

Then she had fought the Jedi Knight, Keth Hammer they had called him. He spurred the militia into a frenzy with his mere presence, drove them mad with bloodlust and hatred, Laira had been so sure of their evil. So sure she needed to do something that the Force itself had pushed her to action against the militia, lightsaber blazing. Acting on instinct alone, she had fought them, cut them down with her burning brand. Without thought or concern Laira had killed them, knowing she was right to do so. She fought the corrupted Jedi Knight personally, and her instincts had driven her. No conscious thought, no strategy, no tactics. She had just fought for what she knew to be just and knew that he must die so that she could live. And in the end she had won, wounded by a superior warrior, but she had lived and he had died.

And then he had rejoined the Force, leaving just a pile of armor and robes. At the time, she hadn’t understood what it entailed, she was hurting she was mourning her friend Cix and comforting her other friends, so concerned with what they thought of her. It had occurred to Laira until she had been left alone with her thoughts in the Bacta tank that she realized what had happened to him. Keth Hammer had been summoned back to the afterlife by the Force in the same manner as the legendary fallen Jedi like Obi-Wan Kenobi, Luke Skywalker, Yoda, Wolf Sazen, and Mara Jade. It was then she had realized that she would not be the hero when that story was told, but little more than a murderer with Force powers who killed the hero right at the climax of the tragedy. That the instincts that had driven her during their battle had not been those of a Jedi, a hero, or a saviour, but those of a killer.

The bloodlust and hatred she had seen in the Dominion had been her own, burning behind grey eyes, while they had been emboldened by the courage and honor of a Jedi Knight who represented everything the Force deemed to be good and just. Even as the upper most echelons of that government was evil and needed to be removed to protect the innocent, she was just a killer driven by her own evil desires.

It had worried her before, on Torolis and Bastion she had killed without even realizing she had done so until after it was over. She had stood over their bodies, and others had assured her they deserved to die, and that she had only done what was necessary. Deep down she had known that was not what made her take their lives. That scientist was callous with the lives of his subjects, cruel even, so that made it okay when she stabbed him to death, lost in a rage. That doctor was serving the sith, helping their experiments on people. He would have turned her in and so it wasn't so bad when she injected him with all those drugs and waited for him to die. It was so easy to kill pilots in a starfighter, she hardly thought of them as people, and yet she had so many stripes on the wings of her X-Wing that represented all the lives she had ended and so many marks on the cockpit that represented the lives she had lead to their deaths. Sometimes she even bragged about those stripes to other pilots, comparing her own litany of death to theirs like a badge of honor.

No, Laira was a killer that fooled others into thinking she was not but she could not fool herself. Her father had been a killer as well, it ran in her veins, and he had been unable to conquer it. So he had hung up his sword and put down that life because he had known what she knew. The haunting emptiness she felt in her stomach, the deep dark pit in her chest would never stop while she held the lives of others in her hands.

At least, not while she held onto that darkness within herself.

She couldn’t be queen, she couldn’t lead Alderaan, much less the Resistance. Her father had surrendered to his nature and given up his life as a warrior, but that wasn’t an option for Laira. She had to fight it, she had to conquer her evil nature if she was ever going to be a leader worthy of the title. It was unfortunate she didn't have any idea how to go about doing that.

Leo exited the room, saying a simple ‘hi’ and taking the seat beside Laira while the waited. The pair sat in silence, awaiting the Commander to finish with what she was doing and invite them into the office. Maybe she’d come out to see them herself. Laira’s grey eyes turned upon her friend, Leo who sat calmly beside her while they waited on Tegaea, he was unbothered by the killing because there was no deathlust or murderous intent in his ways. Leo was driven only by duty and loyalty to his friends and there was honor in him where there was darkness in Laira. She envied him for that, but she also knew his sorrow and loneliness. That without his closest friend he was lost, and that he’d be leaving the Resistance and all the people had had known for his life to trudge out on his own and find his own path. “You should come with me.” The words left her mouth before she could catch herself.

Leo’s bright blue eyes turned upon her, brow furrowed quizzically. Confusion crossed his features. “What do you mean?

You said you’d be leaving the Resistance. You should come with me after you do. I have a ship you know, I could use a co-pilot.” A cramped vessel, but a ship nonetheless. A little beskar monstrosity that desperately needed an update and overhaul. Maybe she’d sell it for scraps and buy a new one.

I, uh...” Leo stammered, his eyes searching Laira’s face for any hint of her intent, “I don’t know.

It occured to Laira that part of her desire for him to join her on her adventures was based in selfishness, that with him present perhaps his honorable presence would help dampen her inner evil that she was battling. Another part was simple attraction. He was tall, handsome, muscular, but she could find that in a billion men. He was also somewhat submissive, kind-hearted, and well he was sweet to her. He had been enamoured by her flirty nature and responded so awkwardly, taking him weeks to build up the courage to say anything to her and then longer to acknowledge he was attracted to her even as she teased him and made it obvious she knew that he was. And then, rather than try to impress her with feats of power or skill, but by poetry and making her little gifts and she had continued to tease him because that's what she liked in men.

She examined her own intentions while looking at him with a cocked eyebrow, “Why not?” They were friends, and she didn’t want him to be truly alone. Even if they simply remained friends she’d like to know he was happy, healthy, and sane. Perhaps her offer was sincere, and the selfish parts were only simple side affects of her desire to see her friends well.

Well, I don’t know. It’d look weird, people might talk about you.

So? Would it help if what they said were true, or would it be better if it was made up?” Laira grinned coyly as she spoke.

Now what does that mean?

I don’t care what people would say. People have been saying things about me since I was in finishing school, it’s never stopped me from doing whatever I wanted to. Come up with a better reason why not. Like, you don’t want to or you need to be alone to find yourself. At least those would be your own choice not someone else’s.

Leo turned away, stammering as he did so. “What if I wasn’t able to just be a copilot?

I don’t do ultimatums Leo. Yes, I’d like to date and see if there is anything between us. But I’m not going to agree to that if that’s the only reason you’d come with me. Those are separate decisions and they aren't contingent on each other, you can say no to one and yes to the other. So?

He swallowed, bright blue eyes looking down at his hands. At some point his leg had begun bouncing up and down, fidgeting as she spoke. He seemed about to say something when Firana Marux left Tegaea’s office, summoning the redhead. Leo used the interruption as an excuse to leave quietly, offering the diplomat a quick smile and acknowledgement as he went. Laira smiled at the diplomat and stood. “I believe it. I’ve heard some of the talk about what she did and I’m not surprised. I had the opportunity to hunt with her a few times, Krayt Dragons, Leviathans, and other such things and she’s always been that way.” Elpsis was another one who was an actual hero. Laira was just sometimes praised as one because she had them all fooled, but Elpsis, when she saw people dying on the beach at Manaan she lept into action to save as many as she could. When Laira had been swallowed by the krayt dragon, Elpsis had did all she could to save her and succeeded. It wasn’t a surprise at all that she had held the line and bought the Firemane team time to escape when they had been ambushed, because she was a hero at heart. Selfless when the time came.

<She’s not a murderer like me.>

Laira entered the office, doing her best to hide her troubles and offer a smile at the elder redhead. Tegaea spoke quickly about the task at hand, and Laira’s heart jumped at the prospect of getting to rescue Elpsis for once, repay her witch friend for all she had done. But the looming emptiness choked it back down into place. What if the worst had occurred and Elpsis was dead, or killed when the team arrived? What if Laira fell to her rage and bloodlust then and there and everyone saw she was just a killer acting like a hero? “Nothing would make me happier than to rescue Elpsis from the Dominion, but, I need to stay with my people and they’d be best served fighting with the Republican Guard here,” she pointed to a place on the map the Rebels had marked for her. It was a fortified bunker built into a small hill that controlled one of the main roads into Nexus City from the jungle side. The Republican Guard called it a fortress, but the scans of it weren’t as bad as they made it sound. “With some Firemane support on the ground, we can assist the Republican Guard in taking the road and cutting off the Dominion from their south-eastern territories.

[member="Tegaea Alcori"]

As far as aliens went, she supposed Cathar were not too bad. They were tough and could dish out in a fight. Unlike say the pointy-ears or the wormheads. Still, Nyssa would rather be doing something than being in a briefing with Colonel Leonina Varkathras.

"Our assault on Tephrike is imminent. Our new...'allies' will be doing the brunt of the fighting," there was a note of disdan in Leonina's tone when she brought up their new friends. Vong and all that. "Two strike forces will decapacitate the Dominion and attempt to find and retrieve Elpsis. You've been assigned to the first, Lieutenant."

That was where most of the glory would lie. Attacking the Dominion forces were it hurt. Maybe she would get the chance to behead their Grandmaster and hang his head on a trophy wall. She liked that image. If he had a lightsabre, it would make a fine addition to her collection. "I'd rather participate in the rescue operation, Colonel." Those were her words. She had said them. It surprised even her. They left her mouth while she was still thinking.

The Cathar's expression was taciturn. "Why's that, Lieutenant?"

A more rational part of Nyssa was wondering the same at this very moment. "I want to find her."

"If you're entertaining notions of personal glory and heroism, forget about them. It will be an unglamorous assignment. In all likelihood, she's already dead." Someone less inured to warfare might have protested. But Nyssa was no stranger to it. She had gotten blood on her hands when she was a child. She knew what her people would have done to Elpsis if she had fallen into their hands.

"I'm aware," she said caustically. "I want to be on that team. You need good bodies for that. People who can bring on the pain. Whose legs won't belly-ache about getting their hands dirty and do whatever is needed to find her. Or failing that, avenge her. I'm Sith. It's where I live." Once the true Sith had been the bane of the Jedi. Before they had been driven to the brink of extinction. She had been raised in darkness - moulded by it. She could be knee-deep in blood and she would feel any remorse. "I'm the best you've got."

"The best at being pompous and grumpy," the Colonel retorted. There was a pause. "Your request is granted. I'm aware you have an affinity for her. Don't turn this into a personal crusade, Vykaris. If Alcori is dead, she's dead, and no amount of dead Tephriki will change that."

xxx

While Tegaea and Laira were having their chat, a Firemane officer dressed in a dark blue navy uniform and with the rank bars of a Lieutenant approached Director. The young officer was a Qadiri. There were quite a few of those in Firemane's fleet now, having graduated to traversing the sky-ocean rather than the waterways of their new abandoned homeworld.

"Excuse me, ma'am," the elf cleared her throat. "Captain Vyron instructed me to convey to you that three warships just dropped out of hyperspace. Their transponder codes identify as Firemane. The Kerrigan's Wroth is the lead ship." Catchy name for a ship that belonged to a Dark Side paramilitary.

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One

If Tegaea noticed any conflict or concern on Laira’s face she did not mention it. Whatever her reasons, the Princess would help, and Tegaea felt the girl would be better away from the potential bad news when it happened. She had very little hope that Elpsis was still alive; if she was then the Dominion had strangely not tried to use it against them. An attempt at a ransom or threatening the company to backdown had been what she’d steeled herself for…but nothing.

“Very well, but you will remain under our command, and I will not allow the collaring or otherwise deprivation of our people of their assets. The Rebels can either acquiesce to this or lose their one ally who might help them win their war.”
Tegaea consulted a datapad. “Colonel Varkathras is heading up that mission. You will report to her for a briefing in one hour. We will be hitting that Dominion base with the support of the rebels. If there is nothing more, good luck, and my the Force be with us.”

The Qadiri who entered brought word which interested her.
“Already? Siobhan must have detached them as soon as she heard. Good, have them dock with the Scarlet Destiny. Dispatch their commander to meet with me when they have arrived.”
“Yes, ma’am, it shall be as you command.”

Once left alone, Tegaea started to tabulate the two groups. She had access to a lot of assets, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Melding a unified group from these elements would be no easy task.
A ping on the datapad. Leonina had reassigned Nyssa to the rescue team. Interesting. The Sith and her daughter had a thing, something clearly enough for her to either seek to rescue or avenge Elpsis. She would be useful.

XXX

Fortress Purity was the grandiose title given to a bunker, tunnel and redoubt complex built into a hill. It was protected by trenches, pits and mines along with concealed artillery. It was no implacable bastion, but it had proven resistant to Republican Guard attempts to take it for months. The Rebels simply lacked the firepower to crush the defences or the technology to circumvent them. Until now that is.

Satellite photos combined with drone scans and intel from the Rebels had allowed them to build up a considerable picture of the area. A heavy bombardment would help certainly, but unless it was truly apocalyptic the bombardment always left survivors and often made the terrain even more tricky.

Leonina, Laira and whoever else was assigned to this mission would certainly have their work cut out for them overcoming this.

XXX

Preparations of the outsiders and the rebels could not be fully hidden. Besides, Fortress Purity was a key breastwork on the road to Nexus City. News had filtered to the Dominion’s opposing camps.

“Marshal, the Grandmaster has ordered more forces to converge at Fortress Purity. The Ever Loyal Vanguard and Champions of Purifying Light are being joined by the Righteous Avengers of Truth and Chosen of Windu militia legions. Shall I order the First Legion to join them?”
The Battlemaster considered the situation gravely. The Grandmaster was certainly going all in, expectedly so…but this constituted an opportunity.
“No, pull them back. General Tavar will make the necessary excuses. This will work well for our plans.”
“Marshal?”
The Battlemaster smiled slightly. “When the Grandmaster commits all his reserves to a battle where they are penned in by the outsiders artillery it will discredit him greatly. It will be easy to then remove him, willing or no. It will also allow us to watch the enemy bled. Prepare our artillery and conceal them well to the west. We will await our moment. See to this personally, Commander. Our time is near.”

She was not ready. She had burnt the collar at the hinge as much as she could. She could only hope that it was covered up by the general stench in the small, squalid cell. But the collar still weighed heavily on her neck. Damaged, but not destroyed. She was tired.

And out of time. Fear gripped her as she heard boots approaching. "We are here to make you better," the words of the Inquisitor resonated in her mind. What if they were right? What if by rebelling, she was embarking on a dark path? She took a deep breath. Those were traitorous thoughts. The ones fit for a weakling.

"Get up," the Jedi guard ordered in that dispassionate, emotionless voice the Jedi here seemed to favour. Her cuffs were undone and she was led out. "The Inquisitor believes you have taken the first step in your redemption. Recite the Jedi Code after me."

The words left Elpsis' lips, almost on automatism. "There is emotion, there is c-calm. There is no ignorance, there is obedience. There is no p-passion, there is serenity. There is no chaos, there is order. There is no death, there is the Light."

"Reciting them like phrases is one thing. Living by them is another. You must absorb them heart, body and soul," Diona said sternly. Elpsis could not see her face. It took even focus to perceive her aura, though less than before. But somehow it seemed to her that the Jedi's words were meant for herself.

"Yes, Master Jedi. I-I understand."

"I'm not a Master. Come on," the Jedi ordered her. Mercifully she measured her stride to allow Elpsis to keep pace. "Where are you from?" she suddenly asked as they walked down the corridor. "From which planet."

"Coruscant, ma'am. Grew up in the under city. After running away to become a s-sinner."

"What is the planet like? How do people live? Is there still a Jedi order, a Republic?" Elpsis hesitated, wondering whether this might be a trick question. "Speak."

"Big divide between rich and poor. Good chunk of the planet got wrecked by Sith. There are no Jedi there anymore."

"You fought the Sith?"

"I-I served an evil Dark Jedi. She's no better than a Sith. I'm here to..."

"Have you fought Sith?" Diona cut her off.

"Y-yes. Many."

They came to a halt before a door. "You have been granted the privilege of taking a shower," Diona instructed her. "Do not talk with the captives. Do not take too long or waste time. Everything that goes on inside there is monitored."

"Yes, ma'am. Thank you."

"Do not thank me. Now get a move on."

There were already other captives busy refreshing themselves. Elpsis would not be able to see this, but they all had shaved heads. It was the mark of the repentant. There was next to no soap and no shampoo. The water was almost as cold as if it were from the hose. But it was more dignified.

However, the shower was extremely brief. Indeed, all she managed to do was dose herself in water before the bell rang. Hastily she pulled on her prisoner uniform, dried herself off very roughly and stepped outside. She was still rather wet beneath her clothes, but that could not be helped. Diona was gone when she emerged along with the other prisoners. In her place, there was a lower-ranked Jedi guard.

"Good morning, Repentant. You have a new sister. This is Elpsis. Daughter of the dark lords who have bombarded our homes and slaughtered thousands of innocent Younglings. Elpsis, introduce yourself to the group."

Elpsis looked like the proverbial deer caught in the headlight. "Uh, h-hello. I am Elpsis. I'm the d-daughter of Tegaea Alcori and the Dark Jedi Siobhan Kerrigan. Our fleet came to Tephrike on a mission to s-subjugate this world and snuff out the last c-candle of the Light. B-but now I've realised that our cause was u-unjust and I want to...a-atone for my sins."

"Young Elpsis has taken the first step towards her redemption. Guide her on her path. Help her up if she stumbles," the guard declared. "Now you shall begin your chores. Sweep and mop the floors."

So her working day began. Or was it still night time? Elpsis had no clue. She wanted nothing more than to find a corner where she could hide and get this blasted collar off. All she needed was one more push. But there was not a single moment where she was unobserved. Given a simple broom, she had to sweep the corridors of the barracks, then clean them with a mop and bucket.

"So you're from the Blighted Galaxy?" one of the repentant asked her while she was cleaning.

"The what?"

"Silly me. You're new here. The Blighted Galaxy consists of all the worlds that were swallowed by the Darkness. Only Tephrike was left untouched by the Dark Lords' machinations."

"Uh, yeah, I'm from there. But the J-Jedi have been...teaching me."

"To see the truth. I was like you once. I was stubborn. Rebellious. There was a part of me that always resisted. But then I embraced the Light. The road you walk is a hard one, but the Masters will always be there to help you."

"It's...a lot to let go of. But I want to get better," Elpsis forced herself to say. "What is your name?"

"I used to be known as Deborah, but that is my sinner's name. Now I am Helen."

"Used to be known as?"

"We are all born again in the Light. Our old self has flushed out."

"Does that mean you don't remember your old life?"

"Oh, no. I still remember Deborah...broadly. But it is like recalling scenes from an old movie. I am not her anymore. I pity her. It will only be a few weeks before I am released."

"I...understand." Now Elpsis was truly scared. Fear gripped her like a vice.

"You can achieve this as well. Imagine the good you could do as a champion of the Light. The Dominion honours its most dedicated servants by preserving them through clones. You could be the template for a whole new line of Jedi protectors."

I won't let that happen. Not ever! It would take very little for the Dominion to acquire her DNA. All it would take was some saliva on a cup or a lock of her hair they had just cut off. Disgust and anger rose inside her. "Praise the Light," was all she could say.

Their cleaning duties continued in silence. Elpsis' stomach growled and her body ached from her previous exertions, but she forced herself to ignore it. Finally they were ordered to report outside for what she guessed was an assembly of some sort. Jedi guards accompanied them, keeping her from vanishing. On the way, she ran into two familiar faces, Harald and Mel.

"Oh, it's you again," Mel said a bit caustically. "You're still alive."

"We were worried about you when they dragged you off," Harald said in a kinder voice. It sounded genuine.

"I'm alright." Could she trust them? Could she trust herself? "The Jedi have been...instructing me."

"Yeah, they're good at that," Mel muttered under her breath.

"If you want to...," Harald began, but she cut him off.

"No, I'm fine." She did not notice the intent way he had been staring at her collar. Nor did she see that when they marched out of the barracks, the Zabrak ended up lagging behind and passing on a few words to a guard. "Has there been any news from outside?" she asked Mel in a quiet voice as they walked out.

"The usual. Sith on the run. But the Grandmaster has declared total war," Mel responded dismissively. It seemed that the entire base had assembled outside. Prisoners had formed up in lines, carefully watched by the guards. Elpsis and the others formed up in ranks. The redhead winced when she felt the beginnings of a bad headache. The crowd was so large and there were so many strong emotions swirling about that she could not blot them out, especially in her weakened state. Beads of sweat dripped down her face and back. Her empathy could not be collared, so she had to endure. It took a while before the Inquisitor arrived. She wondered whether this was a deliberate tactic to make the prisoners stew in uncertainty and fear. Flanked by Diona and two clone troopers, Inquisitor Lea stepped forward, looking serene as ever.

xxx

With that, Nyssa had been dismissed. In all likelihood, she's already dead, was what Leonina had said. The Sith did not believe it. If Elpsis were dead, she would know it. If she was, she would avenge her. It would not be the first time she had bathed in Jedi blood. With resolute steps, she left the Colonel's office behind her. She only needed a few things.

Her first stop was her room. She found what she was looking for hanging on the wall. Stepping forward, she retrieved the sword. Its name was Aureole. In her language, it meant Glory. Forged by the smiths of House Vykaris centuries ago, it had been empowered by the blood of the condemned through sacrifice. The dark side coursed through it, as strongly as it through her veins. It had also been endowed with a Devaronian blood poison edge. The blade hungered for her to use it. She picked up the sword with care, mindful of the poison, and slipped it into a scabbard. Opening a hidden compartment in the room, she retrieved some gas grenades. Stuff she had stashed away for special occasions.

Should have brought Sith poison, she thought. She had never been one for alchemy. A second cousin had a knack for it. Maybe she should hit her up some time. She would probably not pick up the comm, but Nyssa had her ways to make herself heard and get what she wanted. It would not be difficult to find out where she lived and go for a visit.

Regardless, her next stop was the Scarlet's armoury. Various soldiers were busy gearing up for their assignments. She picked up a compact hatterpistol and some grenades. She searched for some suitable armour - something with enough protection, but mobile and concealing enough. While on the lookout, she spied one of the Resistance members she remembered from earlier. Not the Jedi girl's boytoy, their boss, she thought. "Captain Ul, is it?" she asked. Nyssa had a rather deep voice. Contralto, to be precise.

xxx

Deep beneath the earth inside their rat hole, the Republican Guard partisans were plotting their next move. Subaltern Anarak Quoreal was filling in Mezha. "'I've received word from Headquarters. The Centre has agreed to joint action with the outsiders."

"Can we trust them, sir? The girl we rescued was brave, but she is still afflicted with the Curse. And they seem to have many more of them. Sooner or later, it always takes root," Mezha spoke. Her tone was not belligerent, but she was sceptical.

"We cannot," the Subaltern admitted, "I do not like this accord. We're committing large forces to what might be a death trap. But high command's orders are clear. They say our people have been handed an opportunity that may never come again."

"I know, sir. But you know what the curse does! What if they make common cause with the oppressors, after all? Or we bleed ourselves white fighting their battles for them, and then it turns out we've traded one tyrant for another."

"I told Battalion Command that. And the General told it to Centre. He got his way - partly. We will not be committing our troops until we can be certain that they intend to deliver on. They will only send liaison officers who are free of the curse. But be on your guard. If it comes to the worst, we will pull back into the forest and resist the oppressors as we've done for centuries. Make sure your men understand what's at stake."

Mezha did not like this, but nodded. "If this goes south, we'll be the ones paying the price. High command is far from where the bullets fly," she said cynically, then sighed. "It sounds like lunacy. Teaming up with them..." she trailed off. "But if we win this..."

"We may see this war end in our lifetime. Don't let that hope blind you though," the Subaltern responded. "Now what have the scouts reported?"

"Dominion forces are gathering at the Fortress en masse. The Chosen of Windu and the Righteous Avengers of Truth militias have reinforced the garrison. The Vanguard is useless by itself - old men and children - but fanatical enough to stand and die if coached. Furthermore, several Jedi Masters have been sighted. Comms traffic we were able to intercept makes reference to a Spear of Serenity."

"Some manner of Force sorcery, no doubt. Or a special weapon they have kept in reserve. We must ascertain its nature. The outsiders are confident in the power of their weapons. Perhaps too much. What of the Legions? The First is stationed close to the Fortress."

"Making a show out of moving somewhere. At an extremely slow pace."

"Hmm. A power struggle perhaps? The Battlemaster's movements remain elusive. Detach some scouts to keep an eye on it. We shall mine the roads to the fortress. Likewise, our scouts will set up heat pit sensors. Under the cover of the outsiders' artillery, we can use our tunnels to advance. But we shall not attack in earnest until the outsiders' weapons have weakened the Dominion's defences sufficiently."

The briefing went on for a while as they went over operational matters. Finally Mezha was able to leave the improvised command room. There was much to prepare for. If they succeeded, the Dominion would be dealt a critical blow. Perhaps this could be the first step towards its dismantlement. But that was what they had thought before the Hundred Days' Offensive faltered.

She pushed these thoughts aside. What she would have to do was give her all. She owed it to her comrades - both living and dead. Reaching into her jacket pocket, she retrieved a picture of a small Yuuzhan Vong girl. Doubtless Nei had grown in the time since Mezha had last seen her. "Taking the fight to the Jedai for you, little one," she said quietly.

Laira smiled at Tegaea as she listened to the orders the woman detailed. The fort, according the Republican Guard was defended by one of the Dominion’s most notorious military units and under the command of a seasoned officer. But he’d never had to deal with Firemane or an enemy with proper support, and Colonel Varkathras would have both backing her. “Yes ma’am. I believe the Republican Guard wouldn’t be opposed for the time being, especially if the operators being placed in liaison with them weren’t Force-Sensitive. It should be easy enough, and that should limit how much we antagonize our allies in all this.

Then Laira decided to go in for a hug with Tegaea rather than a curt salute, they were better acquainted than a salute anyway, so the young redhead went in for a warm and cuddly embrace. “I’ll see you on the other side.” She said calmly, rubbing Tegaea’s back as she released her and made her way outside the office.

Now to track down Leo. The redhead stalked from office down the corridors of the ship, back to where the other Resistance operatives were sitting. Captain Ul was once again nowhere to be seen, but Lieutenant Stalgis was giving a briefing on what was expected of the Assault Team. He’d broken them into three fire teams of four instead of their usual composition since Cix was no longer with them. Mac, Leo, and Dar would lead the three teams, simple and effective. “And as a final note, I’ll be commanding Dar and Mac’s teams as we go, Leo will answer to Laira. Keep your wits, stick together. No heroics, we have enough to mourn.

Laira smiled at her little team of Death Troopers, “Leo, could I have a word before we all go to Colonel Varkathras’s official briefing.” There were a few ‘oooos’ and ‘ooohs’ from the others, but now the Redhead had Leo trapped, at least for a little while as he walked behind her into one of the side rooms. “So, did you think about what I asked?

I did, and um, just don’t get mad or anything.

Laira frowned, letting out a sigh and fighting back the sensation of sadness. “I understand. You need to look out for yourself for a while, find your own way, but stay in-

No, no. I want to come with you, if you’ll have me and all my problems.” He put his hands around the ranger’s body and gave her a gentle hug. “But, we just got out of a pretty dangerous thing, and I’m pretty sure it was a little traumatic for both of us. I don’t think it’s a good idea to get into a relationship right now.

Laira’s grey eyes looked up into Leo’s bright blue ones, she squinted a little now that she realized what he meant. <By the Goddess that is the sweetest thing I’ve ever heard.> She actually felt a great deal of affection and trust for him after hearing him explain himself.

I mean, after we’ve had some time to get our heads, then we definitely should.” She playfully hit his chest, slipping out of the Death Trooper’s embrace. “Until then, friends?

No, you’re right. You’re missing out, but you are right. Friends.” She lifted up on her tiptoes and planted a quick kiss on the tall man’s cheek and then returned to the briefing room with Leo in tow, back to the others as they all prepared to go see Colonel Varkathras.

~

Kira was doing a final check of her gear in the ready room, checking over her ghost suit and weapons. She had a needler rifle sitting on the bench in front of her, short and compact like a carbine with a microgrenade launcher internally mounted on the weapon. On her thigh she had a standard issue looking blaster pistol and combat knife sheathed alongside it.

One of the worst things about using a projectile weapon was having to carry its ammunition. She had decided to bring six magazines, five lethals and one non-lethal for just in case, along with some extra grenades of various gases and charges. The Sith she had seen approached her confidentantly, ”Yes, Kira Ul.” The short-haired woman stuck out her hand to the Pureblood Sith, “I’m afraid I’ve not heard your name, just Sith.” She emulated the tone of disdain and scorn she had heard from some in Firemane in her tone. She wasn't smiling, but she certainly appeared to be joking.

Kira wasn’t the jovial and humorous type, she’d seen and done far too much to be, but she capable of getting in a few light-hearted jabs in. “It sounds like I’ll be going with you, so hopefully you aren’t the rainbows and kittens kind of redeemed.

"There is a special task I have for you," the High Priestess Quas'Ziru had spoken in her soft voice, while Xalda bowed deeply, her head touching the stone cold ground. The ruby stone on the priestess' neck shone brightly.
"What is your bidding, Mistress?"
"The Karishzar calls her followers to battle. On a world called Tephrike, Yedi have slighted the Great One. They have dared to abduct her Offspring."
"They must be punished for their sins. Tell me how to find them so that they may rue the day on which they were born. Will we mobilise the faithful?"
The High Priestess smiled slightly. "The Karishzar has decreed that she wishes the Heralds to be close to her. You shall travel to Tephrike with a small force of her followers. When you meet these Yedi in battle, make them taste Her wroth."
"I shall strike without pity or mercy, Mistresss, and lay their ears before Her feet. But what of the Offspring? Shall we rescue her? Might she not have already perishes?"
"I have spent many hours in deep communion with the spirits. She lives still. It is plain to see me that this is a trial devised to make her accept her destiny. If she prevails shall be the stronger for it. Now go. Remember that you do not merely represent yourself, but all of Her Daughters."
"I shall not fail Her or you, Mistress. I shall deliver the cleansing fire of purgation to the Yedi," Xalda vowed. As she rose, a smile graced her lips. One that promised blood and pain. "The night is dark and full of terrors," she spoke solemnly.
"And tonight we are one of those terrors," Ziru finished for her.

That had been a few days ago. Now she was on board one of the Firemane ships that had set their metaphorical sails for Tephrike. Standing upon the observation deck of the Kerrigan's Wroth, she stared at the kaleidoscopic and swirling patterns of light that rushed past them as the ship travelled through the seemingly endless void. She had been warned about the detrimental effects of hyper-rapture. But she found watching them soothing. Not so long ago travel through space had still frightened her, but now she could see the beauty of the void. "All crew, prepare for reversion...now," an officer called over the intercomm. The ship jerked as it emerged in real space. Stars and other celestial bodies could be seen as they made their approach. Above all, they could behold the vast body that was Tephrike. "Strike forces, prepare for docking at the Scarlet Destiny" the voice spoke once more.

Spacefirst1.jpg

Xalda could not help admire the beauty of the seemingly endless canvas of space and the myriad stars that dotted the universe. Every star was like an island in an infinite ocean. She was always awestruck by the colour of the distant stars. The darkness did not scare her. She had a working relationship with darkness. Moreover, here in space, she could look upon the terrible sun without fear of being burned by its rays.

Nonetheless, duty awaited and she slung her duffel bag over her shoulder and quickly headed down. Being the diligent type, she had already packed her weapons and other essentials. The warship was abuzz with hectic activity. Crewers and soldiers were making their way to their posts. Among the mass of sentient beings, she spotted a face that seemed familiar. So she approached the human with confident strides.

"You are the one they call Natalie Dorne?" she asked in heavily accented Basic, stretching out her hand.
"Just Natalie," the human had a firm grip. She had pale skin, blonde hair and wore a pair of shades.
"I am Karrigan'Xalda, Herald of the Destroyer."
The human looked confused for a moment. "Right. Kerrigan's Drow girls."
"We are Her warriors, yes. I have been told that you fought the Demon [member="Matsu Xiangu"] alongside the Karishzar's Offspring? That you rammed the vile witch with a speeder."
"Word of advice: Don't call Elpsis offspring of whatever. But yes...I did," there was a flicker of something on Natalie's face, though she buried it quickly.
"I am sorry if I offend. You are a very brave to face an abomination like that. You are here to rescue the Offspring?"
"Her name's Elpsis. And she's almost certainly dead, but I'm here anyway. Owe her." Her tone was matter-of-fact.
"She still lives. The High Priestess has seen it."
"Nice to know," Natalie sounded dismissive. "Let's hope her visions are accurate then."

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One

“They will have to get used to it, because that is our condition,” Tegaea replied to Laira breezily.
Tegaea was not against hugging, per se, but there was a time and a place for it. In an operations room planning a war was not it. So, when Laira came in for a hug she stood there a little surprised until the younger woman withdrew.
“Yes…hopefully,” Tegaea replied, managing to keep her voice and posture controlled. The others in the room such as the Qadiri aide dared not crack a smile. Instead they studied the floor, or reports, or space. “To your stations, ladies and gents. Let’s get this going.”

XXX

The news had spread quickly. Like so many rumours it was unclear where this one had come from or from who. Regardless, Tempest had heard it and had sought an audience with Siobhan as soon as she could.
Jedi. Elpsis missing presumed captured. War.

Being someone with a somewhat savage temper some might have assumed she’d leave at once and damn permission. But no, Tempest would follow the rules, and this way could be more productive.

The massive Kar’zun parted for her to allow her entrance. She had approached Siobhan and saluted, breaking into speech almost at once.
“Ma’am, I’ve heard that Elpsis has been captured and that lunatic Jedi have declared war on us. I’d like to volunteer to go and provide assistance. I can help find Elpsis…one way or another.” To rescue, or to avenge, in the end it’d require boots on the ground.
"Be prepared to return her in a bodybag, if she can be found at all. By all accounts, Tephrike is a war-torn hellhole populated by insane fanatics. If she is not dead yet, she will almost certainly be soon," Siobhan responded bluntly. She was not one for sugarcoating. "Nonetheless, there is a debt to be paid, and Kerrigans always pay their debts."
It was harsh hearing it said so openly, but Tempest knew it to be true, she nodded. “One way or another, Siobhan. Whichever way I return her, it will be on a pile of Jedi taller than her. Might I suggest we counter fanatics with some of our own? The Cataphracts perhaps?”
"Yes, they will be very motivated. Take Xalda as well. And that Essionian friend Elpsis has," Siobhan replied after some thought. "This is not a mission of liberation, but of retribution. For the duration of the campaign, the rules of engagement are suspended within the Tephrike theatre. Inform Tegaea accordingly. Show them what Kerrigans are, what we do to our enemies."
Tempest saluted. “As you say, ma’am, the Jedi will rue their foolish act of treachery.”
With that she turned and departed. By the time she reached the ship she found the orders placing her in command of the relief mission’s forces had arrived. It had been given the fanciful designation ‘Maelstrom Command’.

XXX

Now she was here, and on the platform she encountered Xalda and Natalie. They’d been on the ship with her, but she had not sought them out. She’d been preparing her equipment and her troops, learning what was known about the Dominion. Besides, there was something frankly troubling about Xalda. Tempest liked Siobhan, was happy to follow her orders mostly, but she sure as slag didn’t worship her. To her it was all a little preposterous. Still, the Xio was good at her job, though apparently had an unsettling habit for cutting off trophies from enemies.
Then there was Natalie, an associate of Elpsis. She seemed more normal, though she’d not remembered meeting her before.

As she exited with the Cataphracts behind her and her own troops filing out into the Scarlet Destiny’s hold she saw the two of them and headed over.
“Xalda, Dorne, I have your assignments. Xalda, you are to seek out Colonel Leonina Varkathras and place yourself under her command. Your mission will be expanded on by her, but in basic you are to assist in beheading the leadership of the Dominion and performing surgical strikes to destroy key targets. Dorne, you’re with me. We are going to attempt to find Elpsis alive or dead and bring her home. Any questions?”

Soon they would have a general briefing for both teams before they descended into the chaos that was Tephrike.

"There is no emotion," Inquisitor Lea began.

"There is calm," the prisoners finished, reciting the words in unison. Even Mel fell in line. So did Elpsis. Her leg pained her.

"There is no ignorance."

"There is obedience." Again, the prisoners finished.

"There is no passion."

"There is serenity."

"There is no chaos."

"There is order."

"There is no death."

"There is the Light."

They recited the Code three times.

"Words to live by," the Inquisitor declared once the chorus had come to an end. "Passion, disobedience, greed and lust - those are of the dark side. Once you walk down the dark path, forever it will dominate your destiny. But there is...hope for some. For those who have the will to reforge themselves and empty their mind of evil. Who honestly wish to walk in the Light and serve the greater good. We are nothing..."

"The community is everything," the prisoners chanted. The words left Elpsis' mouth as well. Indeed her lips seemed to form the words even before she gave it conscious thought. As if it had been programmed.

"But this require commitment and pure intent. Unfortunately, there are those among you have strayed. Who seek to sow discord while our brave warriors of the Light battle the forces of darkness that have rained down destruction upon the innocent people of this world. In doing so, they have stabbed our people - your people - in the back ," the Inquisitor spoke, sounding colder now, though still serene. "They have been identified."

Suddenly Mel was seized by two guards. "Let me go!" she yelled, trying to resist by kicking and punching them, but it was to no avail. Two other prisoners were grabbed. "She did nothing wrong," Elpsis could not resist from speaking up.

"No, it was you who animated her and encouraged the spread of evil thoughts inside her. Your own indiscretions have not gone unnoticed," Lea said flatly. Activating a small device, she played a recording from the mine.

"Nor has your attempt to destroy your collar and embrace your old ways once more. Seize her." Jedi guards closed in on Elpsis. Panic, fear and anger surged through her. Meanwhile, the prisoners parted to make room for the guards. Harald was doing his best to appear innocuous and just part of the crowd.

"No, no," anger was enough to give her power, if only for a very brief moment, and so Elpsis roared. Her scream produced a blast wave that knocked the guards back, slamming them into the ground. One prisoner seemed about to make a move, but the hand of a female Nautolan gripped his shoulder tight, holding him back. "Not yet," she hissed quietly, staying his hand.

The pain inside Elpsis' leg suddenly spiked as if the injury had been agitated, almost enough to make her keel over. However, the girl managed to produce a weak fireball. It surged towards the Inquisitor. However, ere it could reach its intended goal, Diona stepped in its way. Her hands glowed with power as she absorbed the ball of flame.

Elpsis was still dealing with the pain she was in when the Jedi Guardian unleashed her power on her. An invisible force gripped Elpsis, deadening her senses and perception, keeping her frozen in place. She struggled against her paralysis, but the Force failed her. Guards with tasers approached. She bit one and tried to jab her fingers into the eye of another when the paralysing grip loosened, but she was overpowered without difficulty. Soon she was on the ground, shaking from being tasered multiple times. The old collar was pulled from her throat. Then things went black when a new one was slapped on her.

"Hang them by their hands from the trees," Lea ordered. "Leave them exposed to the mosquitoes. Do not give them food or drink." It also did not hurt that at this time of the day, temperatures were very high. Being exposed to the rays of the sun would undoubtedly take its toll on the captives. She stepped forward towards them. "You can end all this...if you only repent. Confess, and sin no more," she said in a gentle, calm voice. "Take them away."

xxx

Nyssa scoffed. "Redemption is a word used by the weak and cowardly because they cannot face their own choices. So they blame their deeds on the 'Dark Side' and claim they're all nice and fluffy now. And start getting angsty about killing people who need killing." Her words were dripping with contempt.

She had been disgusted after learning that Ajunta Pall, the leader of the Jen'jidai who had conquered her people and killed the last King of Korriban, had apparently experienced a change of heart as a ghost. Especially since it had apparently only required a three minute conversation with the ambiguously gendered, mindwiped Revan for him to change his mind. Her sister might have decided to turn to the Light, but she had made her own decisions and not turned into a simpering weakling.

"I am Sith. I shall always be Sith. Just not a stupid poseur like the fools on Bastion." Despite Elpsis' somewhat ironic dislike for them, she was probably quite similar to the Death Troopers in Kira's posse. Both had become disappointed by a system they had been moulded by and decided to hook up with its enemies, while still retaining many of their old views. Though she was more inclined to boast and ramble on about her 'pure' Sith blood. No one would accuse Nyssa of humility. She eyed the needler rifle with the underslung microgrenade launcher. "Nice rifle."

Kira frowned, turning the corners of her lips downward as the pureblood sith spoke. “I’d really like to agree with you,” she muttered, continuing her final weapons check over her own body. Her monomolecular energy chorded weapon on her thigh, pistol, grenades, and finally her rifle. The young woman pulled her cap off and sat it on the bench as she wouldn’t be needing it anymore, her helmet would be her cover for this mission. “But, I’m no expert on the Force, but I’m happy without a preachy lesson.

She’d done her fair share of bad things in her short life, its what happened when you became a revolutionary at a young age and had to fight against your neighbors to resist the evil at your doorstep. To her, she never chalked it up to Dark Side versus Light Side, or even Right vs Wrong, those were far too simplistic views to be reasonable. For Kira it had always been freedom against oppression and where the line of security was crossed. For her, once it was crossed, any price was worth paying to shove the oppressor back.

Sith is Sith were words she had said and believed, this one seemed a little different given her association with Firemane, but Kira was wary nonetheless. “Yeah, it’s nice and quiet. Turns people into puddles of acid.” She gestured with her chin at new arrivals, “Appears we have some more coming with us.

~

Laira and Lieutenant Stalgis, followed by the Death Troopers and Galactic Alliance Guardsmen that made up the Resistance Intelligence assault team marched through the corridors of the Scarlet Destiny to the rally chamber where the Firemane operators were readying to go planetside. “So, just stick with your fire team. They’ll help cover for you and keep you in one piece.

I know Tor, head down, no heroics, stick together. I got it, I may not follow it, but I got it.” Laira retorted with a grin. The death trooper officer let out an exasperated sigh at the redhead but seemed to relent for the time being. He didn’t have the authority to gripe on her rank wise, and she wouldn’t really listen to him even if he did. Laira’s rebellious streak would likely kick in if he tried to say it in an authoritative manner and she’d end up purposefully going against his wishes.

I wonder who they are.” She pointed at the dark skinned Eldorai offshoots nonchalantly. “I’m gonna go say hi before the briefing starts.” The redhead teen slipped out of line from the rest of the RESINT troops and sauntered over to the Xioquo entering the rally room.

Hiya, I’m Laira Darkhold from the RESINT group.” She stuck out her hand, offering the first Xioquo a warm smile and adopting a coquettish posture as she did so. “And you are?

[member="Tegaea Alcori"]

Xalda eyed Major Tempest and the power armoured Cataphracts. The latter were not Xioquo like her, but Qadiri. To say there was bad blood between both races would be an understatement, for they were historical rivals. The Karishzar had forced peace on both of them, but their presence still did not sit well on her.

It did not help that the Cataphracts claimed to worship the Great One. But the way they went about it was blasphemous, for they had the nerve to claim that she was offspring of the Qadiri Goddess Kashara. It was absurd. The Daughters were the ones who knew the truth. Still...she would have to tolerate them.

Her attention turned towards the Karishzar's Acolyte. Her dark skin and imposing armour marked her as a member of Firemane's Warrior Caste. Word was that she had been freed from slavery by the Karishzar and been trained by Her. "No," Xalda spoke in accented Basic. "I shall unleash the wrath of the Great One's Daughters and make the Yedi rue the day they were born. May the power of the spirits serve you well and make you triumph over your foes." Battle was imminent, and she was eager to do her part. The young drow was filled with equal parts nervousness and anticipation. She did not just represent herself, but her people and the Daughters. It was her duty to make them proud.

She ended up making her way to the rally chamber. Presumably the Colonel would be there somewhere. By the time she arrived the area was already teeming with soldiers getting ready for the fight. Some were her kin, many were humans, Qadiri or some variation of alien. She spied the imposing figure of Freya Solveig bossing some grunts around in the timeless tradition of Sergeants. Sergeant Hikari Saito was likewise organising the Silencers. Before she could catch sight of the feline Colonel, she was greeted by a red-maned human female. The human seemed awfully casual. Her smile struck the Xioquo as inappropriate.

"I greet you. I am Karrigan'Xalda, a Daughter of the Destroyer," she responded, taking the human's hand. Her Basic was somewhat stilted and accented, though Laira ought to be able to understand her. One of the oddities of Xioquo culture was that clan name preceded given name. They had probably done that purely to be contrary.

Xalda's aura was that of the dark side. Darkness slithered and seethed through her, like a living cloak. Her pale green eyes were intense and her face was marked by several scars. "Are you one of the companions of the Offspring of the Destroyer?" She knew the Offspring had many of those.

xxx

Natalie watched the strange elf head off to wherever she was supposed to meet her superior. "Odd bird. Hopefully she only cuts off the right ears," she commented sardonically. She had not had much dealings with elves, though they all seemed...weird, bitchy or both. The same applied to most Force-Users in her experience.

"Natalie suffices," she turned her gaze to Tempest. "We got any idea where Elpsis might be held or are we looking for a needle in a panet-sized haystack?" The cynical, realistic part of her was certain the girl was already dead or would be by the time they caught up with her, if they did at all, but nonetheless.

But they could settle for unleashing terror on an oppressive régime. Either gave her something to focus on. Something other than trying to forget the Witch-Necromancer sinking her merciless talons into her mind. Away from sleepless nights and spending too much time with bottles of liquor. "Who else is on the team?"

Tempest

Storm of the Force

“Yes, let’s hope it does,” Tempest said grimly. She was certainly not down with the flowery speeches and allegorical words of the Xioquo, but the sentiment was good. May the Force serve you well, said through the lens of a cultist.

Next to Natalie. The woman was clearly an irregular not used to the way the military worked. This was fine, because it took all sorts, but Tempest was feeling even more ramrod straight today.
“All this will be revealed in the briefing. We will find her one way or another. Let’s go,” she said, and turned from the hanger.

XXX

There was one piece of business to be handled first though. Tempest showed Natalie to the briefing room, allowing her to make introductions. She then headed to the executive meeting room. She had a boss, and she had to report the wills of the other boss.

The door slid open and Tegaea and Tempest’s gaze met.
“Major.”
“Ma’am.” A salute. They were alone, but the times were serious.
“Siobhan decided you were needed, huh?”
“I volunteered, ma’am. Elpsis means a lot to me.”
“She is my daughter, remember,” Tegaea said.

The awkward silence stretched until Tempest stepped forward with a datapad. “Siobhan wants you to have this. She is overriding the ROE. Combat is a free fire zone. The indoctrination of the Jedi and their treachery makes all on the surface suspect.”
Tegaea paused as she took the datapad, opened her mouth, and then nodded. “I understand. I will pass it on.” She paused again. “Find her, Tempest. Bring her back to me, one way or another.”
“You have my word that I will turn over every stone, raze every building, fell every tree until she is found.”
“Good. May the Force be with you.”
“May it serve us well.”
They shook hands, and then Tempest turned and left.

XXX

Tempest entered the briefing room for her team, eying those inside. She knew some like Loyalty well, others like Kira or Natalie she was meeting today for the first time.
“Right, settle down, ladies. Our mission is to locate and find Elpsis Kerrigan Alcori.”
An image flicked up on the screen.
“She was captured by the Dominion Jedi during a treacherous ambush. Her current location is unknown, but she seems to be in a new or secret location as the traditional gulags and concentration camps seem empty. What is puzzling is that the Dominion has not used her as a bargaining piece for ransom. Surely they would have tried this if they wanted us to leave. This means one of three things; she’s dead, she’s being held by a splinter faction, or they don’t care about ransoming her. None of these things make it easy to track her.”
She paused.
“It’s entirely possible that Elpsis is dead. We must be prepared for this eventuality. Regardless, we are going to find her no matter the lengths it takes and be sure. I will make DNA markers available for the team to test any…remains.”

The image on screen flashed to a series of buildings viewed through a forest.
“Intel has picked this as the best place to start. The ‘Liberation Education Centre’,” she said, almost spitting the words. “In reality it’s a propaganda gulag for anyone the Dominion considers to be ‘impure’. She’s likely not there, but it’s the biggest of these education centres with a lot of records, a lot of people to question and a good chance of finding people higher up. This is a follow the dots game, we start here, find the next lead and so on until we find our goal.”

She looked between the people in the room.
“Loyalty and Jai Nansal, you will lead the principle assault teams. We’ll come in hard from the two entrances north and south. Keep them nice and distracted. Their own defences will make it hard for them to escape. Natalie, you’ll get in close to the west and blow the walls. That’ll let Nyssa, myself and Kira’s team punch through the defences and get to their command centre quickly before they can destroy their information or purge the inmates. This is a free fire zone. Anyone who’s not an ally is an enemy. If you see prisoners they are to keep 10 metre radius or be on the ground or they get a bolt to the head.”

“Once the camp is declared secure we will call in a Ghoush and evacuate all those of value before enemy reserves arrive. We will process the information afterwards. We will have the services of two squadrons of attack craft to call in, as well as the services of the Venture for fire support. It’s a corvette, but it does have some turbolasers to hit enemy formations we might detect.”

“Any questions? No? Let’s go then. Nyssa, you’re with me.”

XXX

A very similar scene was taking place elsewhere on the ship. There, Colonel Leonina Varkathras was preparing the strategy for her group.

“We will be working with the Republican Guard – the Rebels – but though we are in a tenuous alliance, you all remain under my command. We are currently their biggest enemy, but if that changes once the Dominion is defeated I expect them to turn on us.” Cynical, paranoid or prepared? All were valid.

“The fortress they have is well defended, but it’s clearly designed to repel mass assaults by lightly armed troops. We will not give them this. We are landing batteries and preparing air and space bombardments. We are going to unleash a hurricane bombardment, mixing in smoke and gas including fast dissipating contact agents. Our allies then go forward, and we will support.”

“Laira, you will work with Sergeant Saito to form a strike force. Where there are actual Jedi, you will be. Target and destroy them as a priority. Xalda, you will go with them, but use your skills to strike from the shadows where possible. I will direct firepower where needed. Use your encryption keys. Watch for enemy attempts to use suicide charges or bombers.”

“We have noticed that there is another force of Dominion troops which has pulled back into some dense woods. We are not sure if they are preparing an ambush or if they are protecting an unknown objective. Either way, we will hit them with some bombing runs to keep them on their toes.”

“We have reports that the jungles contain fungal spores which mess with electronics, so keep yourself sealed up and breathe through filters. Report any issues immediately to your CO. May the Force be with us, let’s go.”

Behead/Battle: Leonina (CO), Laira, Xalda, Freya, Mezha, Leo/DTs, Silencers
Rescue: Tempest (CO), Kira, Nyssa, Natalie, Loyalty, Varkasa Jai Nansal

Her hands were tied behind her back and she was hung from tree branches. Weights were added to her ankles to intensify the pain. At this time of the day, Tephrike's sun shone brightly, radiating intense heat down upon her. Beads of sweat dripped down her face and back. She was sweating profusely. There was a painful throbbing in the back of her head and she felt dizzy.

More pain came from her stomach, having been deprived of noteworthy sustenance for too long. Strain was written across her features. Alas, the girl was not granted the reprieve of peace and quiet. For at regular intervals, guards would appear beneath her. The same was done with the other captives who were her partners in misery. All had been hung up too far away to communicate.

"Confess!" her visitors would chant. Sometimes prisoners would be compelled to accompany them. The captives shouted at her as well. Given the collar that hung so heavily around her neck, Elpsis would be unable to tell the difference. Or perceive their shapes without a sharp pain surging through her. To her they all merged into one malicious chorus.

"Confess!"
"Confess!"

She imagined the most hideous ways imaginable for them to die. She imagined her hands becoming fire. She conceived an image of the Jedi screaming in terror as they were charred to the bone. Of the entire camp being burnt to the ground. Sadly, it remained a pretty picture inside her mind. There was no end to the chorus, or the pain. In those rare moments when she was alone, Dominion propaganda droned out of the loudspeakers.

At one stage, a Jedi guard came, holding a cup of water. Almost close enough for her lips to touch it, but only almost. "Confess," the guard ordered in that soft, commanding voice the Jedi seemed to cultivate. After all, it was not evil if they committed it while being perfectly serene.

Further away, two stalwart servants of the Dominion of Light and its Holy Inquisition watched the scene. "Jedi Diona, can you explain to me how she was able to sabotage the collar and remain unnoticed?" Inquisitor Lea queried. Her voice was calm, but nonetheless there was a sharp edge to it. Diona knew that tone well.
"I told you those collars are not fool-proof. Use the Force in very small bursts, and you don't get a seizure. You don't need somatic gestures if you're skilled enough."
"I am aware of that. Such an incident must not happen again. It makes us look vulnerable. I do not accept excuses."
"It's fact, Inquisitor," the guardian tried to remain calm. "This project...has no point. Even if we break her in and she sees the Light, what then? The outsiders will not stop bombing us."
"Jedi Diona, it is beyond your competence to make such a judgement. The Grand Inquisitor's directives are clear."
"And what is his plan? She's more useful to the Dominion as a bargaining chip. The fight is at Nexus City. That is where I should be defending our people."
"His will is not to be questioned," Inquisitor Lea said icily. "And I would advise you to focus on your duties. Ensuring the safety of this installation is paramount. Am I understood? Good."
"What should be done with the prisoner who gave us information?"
"He will be rewarded accordingly."
"The other prisoners might take notice - and kill him."
"He is too useful a source to be moved right away. It will be done in time." The Inquisitor walked past Diona, putting a hand on the Jedi's shoulders. "This assignment could turn out to be quite beneficial for you, Jedi Diona. Rest assured, the Dominion has weapons that will make the hammers of light look like child's toys. The outsiders are overconfident, and we shall use this against them. I urge you not to get too close to our prisoner. Such a path might open doorways to darkness."
Diona's jaw clenched. Just before the Inquisitor could depart, she called after her. "Our lines of communications to Nexus City are disrupted. If the enemy closes in on the camp, what is to be done with the prisoners?"
Inquisitor Lea looked serene. "There is only the shining light and the darkest abyss, Jedi Diona. It is our solemn duty to ensure that the souls in our care never fall into the abyss again. A Jedi's life is sacrifice."

After these words had left her lips, she departed, leaving Diona alone. Once again, the Guardian cast her eyes towards the red-maned prisoner hanging from the tree. In a way, Diona hated her. Deeply. The girl had thrown her life into disorder. Her mere presence and the memory flashes Diona had inadvertently assimilated had forced the Jedi to confront matters she would rather ignore. Yet...she also respected her - grudgingly. The girl was brave. Foolishly so, but nonetheless. And...she was not evil.

Diona was a loyal soldier of the Dominion. All her life had been spent in service of her country. The Order had given her everything, so it was only natural for her to repay them with service. She had given her blood and spilt that of its enemies. She had kept her mouth shut when friends were found wanting and 'reeducated'. She had sacrificed innocent life so that her country might survive. She had been its shield against Sith barbarians and the Yuuzhan Vong abominations. She believed that both were vile and that someone needed to have the courage to take up arms against them. A Jedi's life was sacrifice. But...she did not believe her superiors were good. The mere thought was treasonous. Thoughtcrime! It could not be flushed from her mind any longer.

xxx

Meanwhile, deep beneath the earth, a briefing scene very similar to that on the Scarlet Destiny had been taking place. The Rebels had less fancy holographic presentations though. "You know what's at stake. You know what we're up against. The Jedai will fight tooth and nail to keep us from taking the fortress. We could never crack it during the Hundred Days Offensive. We've all lost friends there. Remember their names when you go into battle," Mezha spoke, standing in front of a map.

"Now Purity falls," the Vong rebel paused. "High Command has decided to...enter an alliance with the outsiders." This caused several murmurs among the assembled partisans. "Now I know what you're thinking - and I share your doubts. They're outsiders, they have Force-Users in their ranks."

"They'll turn on us. How can we be sure they haven't already made a deal with the Jedi? We cannot trust a word the Cursed say," one Nautolan soldier spoke up. His passionate words were backed up by murmurs of agreement from some members of the team.

"Our intelligence has confirmed that the Dom captured one of their own - and based on the chatter that prisoner was a huge deal. The outsiders dropped a bomb on the temple," Mezha said firmly. "I don't trust 'em...but they may be our best chance to make a difference. I expect them to betray us when the Dom goes down. But we'll be ready."

"Look at it this way. If you had ships like that," a female Twi'lek spoke up, pointing to the sky, "would you want to conquer this?" she asked rhetorically. "This is our moment. Let's not waste it."

"Yes. Now to the plan: The outsiders will be conducting a hurricane bombardment to take our Dom defences and suppress enemy fire. We will move through the tunnels our pioneers have dug to get as close as possible," she moved a razor across the map to visualise it better.

"Several partisan companies will be joining us. Our job will be to focus on enemy Force-Users and take them out. An outsider strike force will follow. We will have reserves...just in case," she let that hang. "The approaches to the fortress and the nearby forest are being monitored by our scouts." She looked each soldier in the eye.

"If Purity falls, we can cut off Nexus City. Then we can go for the jugular and finally give freedom to our people. Think of that when you go into battle. Our dead comrades are watching us. All Tephriki who cry out for freedom are watching you. Show the Jedi no mercy."

This was the moment for several soldiers to raise their clenched fists and cry out. 'Do-ro'ik Vong pratte!' It went on for a while, then the briefing was brought to a close and the rebels prepared themselves. They did so without fanfare. It did not take long for them to equip themselves. As Mezha left the gear room, she ran into the Twi'lek from earlier. She gave the other woman a thin smile.

"Hey, nice speech," Synthia said, slapping her on the shoulder.
"Let's hope it doesn't blow up in our face, huh?" Mezha said cynically.
"Now don't go all defeatist on me," the Zabrak elbowed her lightly.
"This pact does not sit well with me."
"Yeah. Me neither. Focus on the larger goal. Freedom. Ending the war."
"Yes," Mezha admitted after some hesitation. "It would be nice to get back home again."
"And see your little one."
"Before she grows so big I can't carry her anymore," Mezha chuckled a bit, sounding more good-natured now.
"That's the spirit. See you on the other side." The two women shared a brief kiss, before parting. Even down in their tunnels, they could hear the earth shake as Fortress Purity was pounded from the sky.

xxx

"You don't trust me," Nyssa surmised in a tone that conveyed indifference and some amusement. "I like you," she gave Kira a curt nod. "Hopefully no preachey types." Speaking of new arrivals, they chose to show up this very moment.

"Oh, it's you," Nyssa commented when Natalie crossed the threshold. It could be worse. It could be the Jedi girl Elpsis is sweet on for some reason. She did not think that particular constellation would last long. To be fair, her perception of matters was influenced by self-interest.

"Sith," Natalie responded in a manner that was not hostile, but clearly disdainful. "Still following Elpsis around, I see." Like a lost puppy was unspoken, but but came close to Natalie's perception of things. Elpsis had said some nonsense about Nyssa was a Sith but not a Sith. The Essionian did not buy it. She liked the firecracker, but she could be quite silly sometimes.

"Here to rescue her and kill Jedi. You?"

"Same. I'll make sure not to aim your way," the blonde human turned her eyes towards Kira. "Ul, long time no see." There was not much time for meet and greet, for Tempest began the briefing shortly thereafter.

Two other soldiers joined them. One was a tall, statuesque Dahomian called Loyalty. Younger than Tempest, she had a committed, vengeful air around her. Natalie knew the look. She guessed that she had been one of the Firemane soldiers who had been part of the delegation that got betrayed by the Dominion.

The other seemed to be an elf, though her skin was a couple shades darker than that of the elves Natalie was used to. She had more colour than the Xioquo. This was Varkasa Jai Nansal. She was clad in imposing power armour that made her look like a walking tank. Her helmet rested beneath her shoulder. The armour was decorated with symbols that Natalie guessed were of religious signifiance. She acknowledged Tempest's words with a curt nod. She was less verbose than the Xioquo cultist, though she muttered what seemed to be a prayer in her native tongue. Natalie could not understand Zandiri though.

"Fine with me," Natalie commented at the end when Tempest brought the briefing to a close. "I can help with interrogations if needed. Regarding prisoners, I've seen brainwashing centres like this before - on the Sith side. Be prepared for some prisoners to be so far gone that they attack us. If in doubt, better safe than sorry. One question: Do the Jedi here have glowsticks?"

"No," Loyalty spoke. "But the bastards have enchanted swords and they know how to use them. And they're not shy about using guns" Disdain was evident in her tone. "There's fungi down there that love electronics, including blaster circuits."

"Got it. Let's go find the firecracker." So without further ado the team would be brought to a small shuttle in one of the Destiny's hangars. Within a short span of time, the vessel had lifted off into the cold void, before passing through the planet's atmosphere. They would hear the rumble of artillery fire coming from far away, as Firemane guns pounded the defences of Fortress Purity. It was a sound akin to that of thunder.

[member="Laira Darkhold"], [member="Tempest"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom