Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Into Darkness (Firemane)

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One
[member="Elpsis Kerrigan-Alcori"] [member="Laira Darkhold"]

The shuttle lifted into the air. “Pilot, why are you leaving?” Mirut called.
“It’s not me! We’re just lifting off!”
“Elpsis,” Mirut whispered.
“Go”
Mirut was torn, obviously. To stay and try and help or think of the dozen others on the shuttle. In the end there was only one decision.
“Get us out of here, pilot!”
The AA was starting up, but with shields up the transport was never seriously in danger. It had been hurt though whilst on the ground, and so barely limped back to the Nest corvette in low orbit.

XXX

The bridge of the Scarlet Destiny was oddly subdued. There had been some relief when they heard the shuttle had landed.
However…they learned of who had been left behind. Further, drones reported the outcome of the ground battle. Elpsis was alive…but in the hands of the enemy.
No one dared look at Tegaea, no one dared talk to her. The redhead simply stared down at the planet.
“Umm…ma’am?” finally Captain Vyron had worked up the courage to approach.
“Contact the planet. Tell them in no uncertain terms that they want to talk to me. Are the bombardment patterns established?”
“Yes, ma’am. The shield…”
“Will not stop us. I have a contingency in place. Get me on the line with the treacherous filth below. Now. And get me the prisoner taken. She will reveal everything.”
No one had told Nyssa what had happened yet. Tegaea was not a cruel woman or a vindictive one, but in cases like this a line had been crossed. Nyssa would be tasked to ‘inquire’ some matters with the captured Jedi.

XXX

Laira’s battle had not gone unobserved. A well worn yet maintained slug rifle had come up, tracking the redhead, but a hand pushed the barrel down. Silent signals as the ragamuffins followed.

Laira herself would sense nothing, except perhaps the absence of Force signatures. Whoever was following her was crafty though, cautious and cunning.

[member="Tegaea Alcori"], [member="Laira Darkhold"]

She was alone.

The roar of engines could be heard as the shuttle lifted off. Enemy AA fire was intense, but it pulled through. Elpsis lay on the ground, unconscious after getting her skull bashed. However, her reprieve did not last for long. What awoke her was the noise.

An enraged mob had swarmed her. Some of them were soldiers, a few civilians. She tried to move, but someone bashed her in the face with the butt of a rifle. Blood dripped out of the wound. For good measure, the soldier hit her again. She got a kick in the ribs. Then another. She was punched, beaten, spat at. "Death to the Sith! Death to the enemies of the Light!" the crowd yelled.

The intense anger she felt emanating from the crowd was almost as painful as the beatings. With so much going on, she could not focus. She tried to summon the Force, grab a weapon, do anything, then suddenly there was a gun shot. The crowd parted, apparently fearful.

Before her stood the Jedi who had taken her down. Her once pristine armour was scorched, cracked and covered in blood. Her imbued sword was sheathed and she held a pistol in her bloodied hand. "There is no emotion, there is peace. The Windian Jedi Order claims this prisoner...alive," with that she slapped a collar on Elpsis' neck.

Trying to seize what seemed to be an opening, Elpsis summoned her power, only to double over in pain when intense electrical shocks surged through her. She cried out in anguish, breathing heavily when the sensation finally left her. Even worse, all she saw now was black. The pain returned if she tried to see. Now she was afraid. Fear gripped her like a vice. "You will only hurt yourself if you resist, Sith," the female Jedi said coldly.

"The demon must die! She murdered our people!" one of the soldiers in the crowd shouted, receiving yells of agreement. "Kill the Sith!"

"There is no emotion, there is calm," the Jedi said...icily. Never had this line seemed so cold to Elpsis. "Or do you wish to defy the Council?"

"Uh, no...but..."

"No buts. It has been ordained. Return to your posts. Prepare for war. More fiends will be coming."

Two Jedi grabbed ahold of Elpsis. "Get moving, Sith."

xxx

The Dominion took their time when it came to responding to Tegaea. Maybe they were keeping her waiting as a delaying tactic. Regardless, when she finally got a connection, she would be facing a Duros Jedi clad in white robes. The alien was an old man, but still carried a lightsabre on his belt. His bearing was haughty.

"This is Jedi Master Antonius, Grand Inquisitor and Minister of Harmony. I speak in the name of the Grandmaster of the glorious Dominion of Light. You must be the dark lady at the head of this invasion. Your forces have invaded the Holy Dominion and murdered our peaceful citizens. Know that this atrocity will not go unpunished. Your machinations to corrupt our people into embracing the Dark Side have been thwarted," he declared pompously. Little did the outsiders know that the conversation was being recorded. Naturally the Dominion would edit anything that contradicted their narrative out.

xxx

"Elpsis is MIA. We have a Jedi prisoner who needs to be persuaded. Attend cell block in ten minutes."

First, Nyssa slammed her fist into a wall. Silly girl, she thought angrily. Ah, well, I'll bail you out. Then she began packing her tools. Then she left her bunk and walked towards the cell. Purpose filled her as she took the lift down, then passed the manifold security checks. Finally, she was in the cell itself. Evidently, Freya had already roughened the Jedi up a bit. A wormhead, figures, she thought. Nail the lekku to a stone wall, elevated high above her head. Make her quiver with the pain. Maybe later.

"That her?" she asked, though it was probably unnecessary.

"queen didn't put up a fight. Whimp," Freya grunted.

Nyssa's eyes fell upon the alien's injured hand. "Had a go at her?" she raised an eyebrow.

"Would have gotten some spikes driven into it if I had. Her own people shot her."

"And they call Sith backstabbers," Nyssa muttered.

"Probably faked. Let's get on with it. Boss lady wants her intact." Freya's tone of voice implied disapproval, but she was not one to waste time.

The Pureblood nodded. "Wake up, worm," she ordered and poured cold water over her. The Jedi awoke with a start. When she saw the Pureblood, she flinched.

"Demon."

"Sith," Nyssa corrected. "A true one, not those poseurs you've been fighting. And you know what a Sith does best? Hurt Jedi. It's been so long since I've had the chance." At that she forcefully grabbed the Jedi's lekku, pulling her close enough that they were nose to nose. She was using her cybernetic hand. Meanwhile, Freya prepared a cocktail of drugs.

"Now, your people invited mine under a flag of truce, then attacked them. You captured one of the few people I actually like. So...where is she, who gave the order and what are the major places in this pathetic excuse of a city? If you do not cooperate, I will hurt you until you talk. If I think you're useless, I will hurt you because I want to."

I’m just saying, biological warfare sounds nicer than virus bombing.” The Resistance forces were sitting in their little common area, discussing the reports from below.

No more talk about that. I’m far more concerned with our four MIA troopers than what you could have done under the Empire.” Kira stood from the data terminal suddenly, joining the conversation as it seemed to turn back towards hypotheticals. “Suit up. We have both fighters’ last known locations and Doctor Ur’dax has information on the planet’s flora from sensor readings. Start coming up with extraction plans until I get back. Lieutenant, keep them in line.” She turned, suffocating a snarl that was trying to build on her face. That stupid girl went and got herself shot down carrying Probabat Shun. Not only was she missing, but the Body Astro Navigant would likely become very estranged from the Resistance. It wasn't really Laira's fault, Kira was just worried and frustrated that she couldn't go protect her people. If she had her way she'd go back to the good old League ways. For every One of Ours, Ten of Theirs. But those days were long gone, the Resistance didn't pull punches, but Firemane didn't condone such acts of what some people called terrorism.

She made her way into the laboratory the Iyra scientist had set up in their section of the ship. “Doctor, I need a copy of the data you showed me, the fungal readings you mentioned.

Of course Captain.” The vocoder’s robotic melody tickled her ears. The appearance of the seven tentacled monster was off putting to many, even more so when he referred to sentient beings as test subjects, but such was his way. He saw any sacrifice to further the study of science to be beneficial, it was just who he was. “I understand there is a Dominion Twi’lek Jedi prisoner. If you would, please inform Firemane I would like to dissect the remains.

I’ll let them know.” Actually that might make for a funny interrogation tip. Nevertheless she left the Resistance folks behind to find the fiery redheaded expedition leader with her findings. The jungle where seven or eight of their missing pilots with their last known locations listed and an interesting excerpt about an aerial fungal growth recorded there. It made sense why none of the pilots had managed to contact the ship.

~

Laira stumbled through more undergrowth. Her head wound was bleeding a little better than she had first thought, droplets mixing with her sweat and running down the side of the redhead’s face. The ringing in her ears had died to a dull buzz, barely audible over the sounds of the jungle. She could here muttering up ahead, her locator indicating friendlies in that direction as she approached cautiously.

The smouldering wreckage of an X-Wing loomed through the jungle, having left a trail of broken trees and burning ruins behind it as it had crashed. Beneath it, two familiar black armored shapes were taking refuge. One was kneeling, tending to the other who had his back against the fighter letting the other wrap his arm and brace his ribs. Laira staggered forth, letting out a relieved sigh to have found someone else in this gods forsaken jungle. “Hey guys,” Weapons snapped upwards in her direction. “IT’S ME! It’s me.

Chit girl, Thunder and Lightning next time.

Sorry, sorry. I’m so glad I found you guys.” She said, dropping to a squat next to the wounded trooper. Cix. Leo was tending his injuries. “Let me take a look at him.” Leo nodded and pulled of his helmet, dropping it to the jungle floor, letting the Jedi take a look at Cix through the Force. The Death Trooper’s chest was injured, probably two or three broken ribs. His arm was also damaged. Leo seemed to have only mild injuries. “Hold on hun, let me see if I can help any.” Pain killers from the medikit and a half a shot of bacta into the chest cavity. They might need the rest later. “Heard from anyone else?

Naya, one of the Flight Leaders, was broadcasting on short-band earlier. Her electronics were suffering from interference.” Cix winced inbetween sentences.

She got a hold of two others. They were going to rendezvous with us over that ridge.” Leo motioned to his left, further away from the city. “Said they encountered a death squad out looking for stragglers.”

Laira bit her lip. She left one of her own attackers alive, unconscious, but certainly alive. He’d be able to tell the Dominion there were definitely surviving pilots in the woods. “Yeah, same. So what’s the plan?

You’re the boss, that’s up to you.

Once again Laira bit her lip, considering the options. She had hoped Leo would give suggestions or take over now that they were on the ground. He had a lot more experience with situations like this than she did. “I guess,” <Poor choice of words, exudes doubt and lack of confidence.> “We should link up with the others and see if any of them have any more information. Salvage whatever gear we can from the ship and we’ll get moving.

Roger that.” Leo muttered, standing up with a grunt. She couldn’t tell if he was being all business because of the seriousness of their plight, or if he was mad with her. Perhaps he blamed her for getting them shot down? Maybe he noticed how long she had hesitated in the air about ordering the wing into combat and contributed their losses to that? Still, he did his part and grabbed the survival packs from the X-Wing and helped Cix to his feet.

Between the three of them, they had three pistols, a heavy blaster pistol, a slug carbine, six sonic imploder grenades, a lightsaber, and three multi-weapons. Not the best odds for them.

After about fifteen minutes, the trio set out, with Laira in the front by about ten meters as a vanguard while Cix used Leo as a crutch to move through the jungles. He grumbled quite a bit as they traveled, but they had to make due as they were.

[member="Tegaea Alcori"]
[member="Elpsis Kerrigan-Alcori"]

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One

Tegaea had not had a good day. Obviously not as bad as her daughter or others in the negotiation party, but enough to give her a raging headache and an even more raging temper.
And then this Jedi had appeared in his white robes and his sanctimonious doublespeak.

“Now you listen to me, Antonius, and you listen good. I don’t give a fig about your Dominion or your paranoia, we came to this planet to help people isolated by the dark age. We came to your planet to aid your people. There were clashes of course, but we had assurances from your Battlemaster that we would meet under a flag of truce. It was you who fired first, treacherously.”
“There is no emotion, there is peace, Sith, this is what your kind never understood. You continue to spout lies, it was your ‘ambassador’ who seized Master Airla and opened fire. We merely returned fire,” he said serenely.
If Tegaea’s eyes narrowed any further she would have them closed. “I warn you, Jedi, you may lie to your people, and you may lie to yourself, but I will not tolerate your crap. Regardless, we have one of your Jedi as prisoner, we will trade them for the prisoner you took.”
Antonius’ bulbous eyes blinked slowly. “We reject. The glorious Dominion of Light is strengthened by the death of martyrs and the suffering of patriots. In any case, that non-person you captured was clearly your agent and lackey, sowing dissent and deception to bring about this spurious ‘negotiations’.”
“Release the prisoners taken and hand over those responsible or you will face the consequences. This is your final warning, Jedi.”
“No, Sithling, it is yours. If you bring war after your treachery to us you will be exterminated, as ever befalls the Sith. Verily, shall the darkness be extinguished by the light.”
Tegaea leaned forward. “I didn’t want to do this, but I will do what I must. You have one hour to submit or else I will raze your Dominion to the ground for this treachery. And as a demonstration…Captain, give them a demonstration.”
From the Scarlet Destiny’s Harbinger cannon there blazed a trail of actinic scarlet which lanced down to hit a stretch of empty field and forest outside Nexus city…away from where Laira was shot down. The blast flattened a considerable area, raising smoke and debris into the air.
Tegaea was pleased to see even the Jedi quail slightly before the deafening noise and flash before recovering his poise.
“We will not be bullied by your dark side magicks. The Light shall prevail!”
The connection died.

Tegaea’s anger and fear was almost manifest. “Captain Vyron,” she said very clearly.
“Ma’am?”
“Send scout drones to examine the crash sites of Laira and the others, assess for casualties. Find the location of the prisoners. Then, once the hour is up we will begin on my command. Target military installations, target arsenals and Jedi training centres. If they will not yield I will raze the Dominion to the ground.”
“Yes, ma’am.”

The orders given, Tegaea reflected on what was about to happen. Was she letting personal feelings cloud her judgement? If it had been Mirut or Loyalty captured would she be planning this? The answer was…no. In her mind she had at first rationalised it that she would have done it for any Firemane employee. That was a lie, and she knew it. It was because it was her daughter, adoptive as she might be, that she was willing to unleash hell on this planet. Should she?

Could she live with herself if she did.
Could she live with herself if she didn’t.

Silently Tegaea left the bridge and headed down to the Enlightenment communication room. There was only one person in the galaxy who could help her at this moment, and she was 15,000 light years away and contactable by only text.

She dismissed the staff and sat at the console herself. She flagged it with the code Phoenix Alpha, the highest priority message of all, to be delivered only to the CEO herself.

‘Jedi betrayed us. Elpsis disobeyed orders, went to surface, captured. Jedi will not give in. Do I’

She paused “Do I what?” she asked the empty room. “Do I put the life of one above the lives of my soldiers and crew, the lives of the civilians?”

‘…Do I do what is needed to get her back? Dominion low tech but fanatical. Advice requested. Tegaea.’

She liked to think Siobhan would ask her this question if their roles were reversed. How would she answer then? Would Siobhan ask her or would she act? She felt she knew the answer, but it didn’t help.

Send

Nothing to do but wait.

[member="Laira Darkhold"], [member="Tegaea Alcori"]

She was blind. For the first time in her life. Ever since the Omega reactor had exploded, she had been robbed of her eyesight. But the Force had allowed her to see. Now this was gone, too. Any time she tried, electrical shocks surged through her. Any time this happened she spasmed and felt horrible pain. "It gets more painful with every attempt," the female Jedi informed her matter-of-factly. The crowd of soldiers and civilians had ceased beating her, but they had not dispersed. The bound, collared empath was forced to walk through the throng while they yelled at her. "Devil! Devil! Devil!" they shouted. "Purify her!" the chorus was deafening.

Inevitably, she slipped, stumbling. Both her injuries and her inability to see where she was going took their toll. "Get up," one of the soldiers growled. When she did not respond as quickly as she should have, he beat her with the butt of his rifle.

"I...can't see. I'm blind." In her heart of hearts, she knew they would use this against her. Her reward for her honesty was another beating.

"Desist," the Jedi guardian interceded coldly. "Help it walk. Its punishment is for the Inquisition to decide."

"Yes, Master Jedi," the soldier said with evident reluctance. Thus she was dragged to a speeder.

"What are you really? A Sith, or the demon construct of one?" the Jedi asked - or rather demanded - as the speeder took off.

"Neither. I'm just a girl - a normal girl. I came here to help." The Jedi scoffed. "Those two Jedi you were...were they your friends? I'm sorry for their loss. I didn't want to fight them. People in the crowd shot at us."

"The devil speaks blasphemy, Master Jedi," a soldier interrupted angrily.

"A siren has no power if you deny it," the Jedi brushed him off. Her eyes met Elpsis' vacant ones. "My comrades are one with the Force now. The Inquisition will force the truth from you soon enough. For your own sake, you will not resist" The speeder came to a halt in front of a large, foreboding building.

Elpsis would be unable to see this, but the building had no windows. There were barbed wire fences, hidden machine gun nests and armed guns. She was uncermoniously dragged into the building. Her destination was a dimly lit, cold interrogation room, where she was cuffed to a chair. She was left to stew for a bit. Elpsis could not feel the Jedi guardian's presence, but the warrior remained, her eyes boring into her prisoner like daggers. She could hear voices speaking outside, but not make out their words.

"State your name and rank, Sith," a voice broke the silence. This was one was female, but older than the Jedi guardian.

"Elpsis...Elpsis Kerrigan-Alcori," she responded after a moment of hesitation. "Brevet Lieutenant, Force Master. I am no Sith." Her reward was to have a high-powered lamp was pressed to her face. She cried out in pain, feeling a burning pain.

"You are a Sith, an enemy of the Light, a serpent in the garden who has come to lead our people into darkness," the Inquisitor declared. "The entire Galaxy has fallen to Darkness - all except the Dominion. And now you have come here to finish what the Sith started when they brought about the Great Darkness."

"No. Look, I'm no Sith alright. I hate Sith. I've spent all my life fighting. We came here to..." the high-powered bulb returned. It started with her nose, then moved towards her cheek. At the same time another goon ripped one of her trousers, pressing a hot iron rod to her leg.

"Where are you from?" the inquisitor demanded. "Who are your agents in Nexus City? Master Airla was not the one of your moles. She must have had confederates."

"I bet she's eager to be our confederate now since you shot her," Elpsis hissed. Then she cried out when her mouth was burnt. Her leg shook from being struck with an iron rod.

"If your mouth will spout naught but lies, the light will purify it," the Inquisitor informed her. "You burnt our brave paladins, so it is only just you experience the same." The goon who had been holding the lamp put it down and walked away. Elpsis could hear the sound of running water and winced. Her leg shook when the second goon pressed his burning rod against the spot where she had been shot.

Then his comrade returned, holding a tube. Elpsis tried to back away, but he roughly grabbed her by the throat. She spat at him. Forcing her head in place, he flooded her mouth with boiling water. Horrible, scalding hot flooded her throat. She felt like she was drowning and burning from the inside. Her throat burnt, so did her gums and tongue. "This 'Lady' Alcori, she is a powerful Sith Lord, is she not? What is the manner of sorcery that rained down from the sky? How do we defeat her? The truth will set you free and cleanse you of your sins," the Inquisitor spoke.

xxx

"The Sith are bluffing, Grandmaster. Like all of their kind, they are cowards," the Grand Inquisitor said serenely.

"Then do you explain the huge blast outside our capital, Antonius?" the Battlemaster retorted. "You cannot fake an explosion of that magnitude. My people saw the crater with their own eyes."

"A mere child's trick, nothing more. A pitiful attempt to terrify the servants of the Light," Antonius brushed the Battlemaster's words aside as if they were buzzing insects. "Only those who lack faith in the Light would be impressed. Perhaps you would care to explain to our Grandmaster why you conspired to kowtow to the Sith devils?"

"I conspired to do nothing of the sort, Inquisitor. Rather I sought to ascertain their intentions and learn their secrets so that they could be used for the betterment of the Dominion. I acted on the basis of a majority vote of the Council. Your brazenness has given us another enemy. One we know little about and whose warship could rain down destruction upon us."

"Battlemaster, I am starting to question your devotion to the Light if you feel we should be parlaying with these Sith devils," the Grandmaster spoke up.

"I have served this Order since before either of you drew breath. I was a Padawan in the days of Zaras Dant. You claim to know our ancestors' will, but I'm the one who knew them. There is a time to let the lightsabre speak and one for the stylus. We cannot fight against the Vong beasts, the Sith and the outsiders - not yet anyway. But there is still time to act ere our adversaries close ranks and snuff out the last candle in the dark. Where is the prisoner we took being kept? She should be returned."

"She is being held in a safe location."

"And where, pray tell, is this safe location? If she is being kept in the city, are you aware that you have endangered every man, woman and child that dwells within its walls?"

"That is not your concern, Battlemaster. Remember your place," the Grandmaster thundered. "I see it now. My dreams were premonitions of the future. An armada of demons will descend upon our holy land, hellfire will rain down from the sky. Darkness rises...and Light to meet it. The hammers of light will smite the invaders and bring balance to the Force."

Battlemaster Mahtara looked from Antonius to the Grandmaster. "You mean to utilise the hammers. They are a deterrent."

"And once we have proven how devastating they are, they will be the ultimate deterrent. Our Grandmaster's genius knows no bounds. He is the Son of Suns, the Chosen One destined to lead the legions of Light to final victory!" Antonius exclaimed sycpohantically.

"Mobilise our forces. I shall address the people. Battlemaster, redeem yourself by assuring victory. You will answer to Brother Antonius. Furthermore, agents of the Inquisition will be attached to every legion of the Army of Light to ensure they do not waver."

"Yes, Grandmaster," the Battlemaster spoke through gritted teeth.

xxx

They were not gentle interrogators. Firemane had rules about how to treat prisoners. However, these could be suspended and neither Freya nor Nyssa were the type to get hang up on ethical and legal questions. One was a product of the Denon Zombie Apocalypse, the other a Sith Pureblood. A ysalamiri kept the Jedi from using her powers.

First, they resorted to waterboarding. Again and again, Airla's head was pushed deep into a bucket of cold water, until she almost drowned. Then her hands were tied behind her back and she was suspended by a rope attached to her wrists. Her shoulders suffered. Weights were added to intensify the effect and increase her pain. A plastic bag was pulled over the Jedi's head to scare and disorientate her. Electrical shocks were applied. Then they played the recording.

"The Twenty-Second Assault Division is marching on Susa. Our emissaries were received by the Sistren in their Citadel. It seems they were...surprised and outraged. We have no definite word on their deliberations, but they are withdrawing their forces from the frontlines," Major Tenacity elaborated.

"Good," Siobhan remarked, bending over the huge table to better look at a spot on the holomap. "Any word from Semiramis?"

"Her forces are advancing rapidly. They will be in Peshawar in a matter of days."

"Trying to seize the last morsels before the treaty," the Lady shrugged. "Krolis will have trouble feeding itself. But impress upon the commanders in the field that they must press the advantage. We cannot lose the initiative," she frowned. "In the event that the counter-Saoshyant remains stubborn, I don't want any of the Xioquo auxiliaries to be anywhere near Krolis. The last thing we need is a sudden surge of Qadiri religious fervour."

In this moment, an aiguilletted adjutant suddenly stepped into the room. She clicked her heels together and saluted. "My Lady, pardon the interruption, but there's a priority message. Sent via Enlightenment." the aide fidgeted a bit while she made her report. "From Lady Alcori."

"What is it?"

"It's flagged Phoenix Alpha, my Lady."

"I see. Dismissed." With purposeful strides, she left the room and headed to the Enlightenment communication chamber. Dismissing the staff, she handled the console herself. It did not take long for the message to appear before her eyes. She read it, her eyes narrowed and she read it again. You ought to know the answer, Tegs, she thought a bit critically. You've been in retirement too long.

"Yes. Be the lioness, not the lamb," were the first words she wrote. If their positions were reversed, would Siobhan have asked her wife for counsel? No, she would not. War was the remedy their enemies had chosen. Others had been within their choice. So Firemane would have to give it to them. Those who had betrayed Firemane deserved all the maledictions it could pour out. Many would lose their lives, on both sides, but that was the price that had to be paid. If her own daughter had not been captured - or if she had been killed - she would have simply razed the Dominion from orbit.

"Our people were attacked. Elpsis is a foolish brat, but she's a Kerrigan-Alcori. If two-bit Jedi can seize one of our own and hold her captive with impunity because we're scared, Firemane is finished. Show them the power of the phoenix. Show them how hot its fury burns."

The trio struggled through the jungles, Cix slowed their pace significantly as he was still struggling to move with broken ribs. Bacta only worked so fast and could only do so much for a man. Eventually they needed a doctor to set their bones and rest to heal, and neither of those things were available to the Death Trooper. Laira stayed on point as they reached the top of the ridge, trees in every direction. Her locator was starting to short out, much like how the communicators and sensor devices had failed earlier. Originally they had thought it was interference, but now the trio had settled that the Dominion might be employing electromagnetic pulses to disable electronics.

Come on guys, it’s not much further. Let’s push on and then we can take a break.” Laira quietly called back towards her comrades. Leo was helping Cix walk and carrying the heavier gear, as well as holding a weapon and looking for signs of movement. His helmet had shorted earlier, so he had thrown it away. Luckily the two of them being without helmets made them much easier to tell apart than when they were fully armored.

We’re trying hun. Cix has to go slow.” He said, straining to pull his fellow trooper up a step, over a set of roots.

Sorry temptress, I’m trying.” Cix coughed, covering his mouth. He tried to hide it and wipe it on his armor before anyone noticed, but Laira saw the red stains on his hand. Blood. His lungs were filling with blood, slowly, but they were. She could do emergency procedures, but the redhead was hoping someone with more experience was waiting for them at the rally point. She started to say something when the air suddenly filled with a crashing noise, the sound of screaming projectiles.

A single beam filled the sky, making everything else appear dark as it connected with the ground and a terrifying shockwave burst out in the distance. They were well outside the area of effect, but they could see it. Moments later they could hear the dull roar from the explosion.

Finally, Firemane’s getting some balls. Hopefully a couple more will follow into the city.” Laira shot Cix a stern glance, but he wasn’t paying attention. The former Imperials were hardliners, Leo clearly wasn’t reacting to her like he had been the night before, probably because he blamed her for their predicament. It was likely they blamed Firemane for it to a degree as well for not treating the Dominion like an enemy. In her heart she knew negotiating had been the right thing to do, but the hindsight of everything made her feel like she had been played. She could understand their resentment, even if she didn’t agree with it. Mother had always taught her that compassion and understanding were necessary for leadership. She had tried to exemplify those traits when she gave the Dominion time to try and resolve the conflict internally, and had tried to give them a chance when she pushed her fighters to simply clear a path for the gunships.

Then again Father had taught her never to stay the blade when you know it to be right to use. Never hesitate to fight, but don’t go looking for one. And she had hesitated. And now people were dead.

Guys, let’s go. There’s nothing more to look at.

Shame, looks like it was just a warning shot.” Leo gave a half frown and then followed the redhead down the steady slope with his compatriot.

The stumbled down towards a trio of Firemane Pilots who greeted them with relief. Naya, a Qadiri was the only other girl in the group, with two other human males, Gel and Disret. Naya was a Flight Leader, while the other two were grunts. “Any others?” Naya asked while the two men helped Leo with Cix and the gear.

No, you?

Unfortunately no. We heard a few shots from different angles and saw a few death squads searching wreckage in the jungles.

Damn. Do we have a medic?

Ha, no. Everyone has first aid experience, but no dedicated medic.

Cix there, he might have a punctured lung. We need to do something for him.

The Qadiri shrugged and tapped her pistol, Laira’s brow furrowed angrily and she shook her head. She would just have to hope he could last until they got picked up. “Alright, let’s see about a five minute rest, I guess.” Again she doubted herself openly, hardly the symbol of confidence for them to rely on.

After a few minutes, probably closer to ten, they started gathering their equipment up. Laira and Naya had spent a few minutes talking about what to do. With no communications equipment or IFF beacons, they had three Ion Flares with which to signal the Firemane forces to their location, which would also attract the Dominion. They would have to ration them and use them only as absolutely needed. Firemane would search the crash sites, but the Dominion was already dispatching kill teams to them, and there was no telling to how long it would take for Firemane to gain enough Air Superiority to risk their Search and Rescue teams.

It took a while, but Laira decided they should make their way back to one of the crash sites they know the Dominion had already checked. They had a compass to direct them, and Naya had the coordinates. Cix had suggested it, between coughing fits he was fighting to suppress though Naya had disapproved of such a strategy. She warned that the Dominion would find them there, and they were not prepared for that eventuality, but it was their best chance. Otherwise Cix would probably die, or have to rely on Laira’s skills to save his life. The group gathered up their things and then started heading back up the ridge towards Nexus City. Laira and two others taking point, fanning out a ways, with Naya, Leo and Cix pulling up the rear together.

~

Kira entered the command salon and found a place to stand while she waited for Tegaea to return. The fungal data Doctor Ur’dax had discovered indicated that electronics exposed to the surface within that region would be disabled in short order, rendering most of the downed pilots with no way to communicate and would likely hamper drones sent to the surface. They’d have a limited flight time down near the surface before they succumbed or became next to useless, or they’d have to rely on longer range information. "I need to speak with the commander when she's next available." She told one of the Firemane officers in the salon, hoping the politeness of her request didn't mask all of the urgency she felt. Her people were down there too after all.

[member="Tegaea Alcori"]

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One
[member="Laira Darkhold"] [member="Elpsis Kerrigan-Alcori"]

Tegaea stared at the message as it came in. Of course this was the answer. She didn’t need to have said it to know. Siobhan would never hesitate, never waver in her convictions, never pause in her quest.
For Tegaea though she realised she had sent the message for two reasons. The first was to let her wife know what was going on.
The second reason? To give Tegaea the push. Would she have done it without that? It was academic now, and perhaps that was the point. It took the need to decide from her. She wasn’t proud of that, but it did make things simpler.

She replied.
‘Thank you Siobhan. I will do what I must. Current location attached.’
There followed some detailed co-ordinates. She was not waiting for help or reinforcements, but it might help Siobhan.

Tegaea rose to her feet and left the room, allowing the technicians to return to work.

“Ma’am, there is a Captain Ul who wants to see you?”
“Good. Show her to my conference room, I will see her after the orders are given.”

She re-entered the bridge. Her gaze betrayed nothing of her thoughts as she eyed the senior officers. The holomap was ready for her.
“We will not let this outrage stand. The Dominion will be punished. We will raze them to the ground for their temerity. We will recover those on the surface alive…or dead. We gave the Dominion the hand of friendship and they spat on it. Now that hand contains the sword.”

She pointed. “The moment the hour is up we will open fire. We have identified 18 locations constituting major garrisons, defences or airfields. They will be taken out in the first strike.”
“The shield will likely be raised…” an officer put in.
“We will fire on it first. If it is, we will break it. If conventional firepower will not work, I have a little surprise for the Dominion. Once major defences are down we will move in with aircraft and gunships and sweep them again. I have little interest in capturing territory which does not benefit us, so we will inflict damage from on high whilst continuing to assess the situation. If we locate the downed we will move in in a swift strike and extract. Captain, I leave you to co-ordinate the exact details.”

She left, heading into the room where Kira would be waiting. “Captain, what can I do for you?” She knew, but she didn’t know the exact specifics.

She had lost track of time. Had she fallen unconscious? Had she 'confessed' anything? She remembered was her throat burning with scalding intensity. She remembered spluttering some words, pleading for mercy, a respite from her torment. The memory, however hazy, filled her with shame. Now she being dragged across what she assumed to be some kind of corridor. The bullet wound inside her leg pained her. Between that and the collar, she had no chance of overpowering her captors and making a run for it. Part of her wondered how Laira and Tegaea were doing.

"Her leg was injured in the fight. Without treatment, the wound will fester," the female Jedi guard informed the Inquisitor.

"I am aware, Jedi Diona. What treatments we have available are being put to good use by helping the righteous who suffered because of her."

"It might require amputation then."

"If it does, it is the will of the Force. If she reflects upon her wrongdoings, maybe our healers will alleviate her plight." They came to a halt in front of a tiny cell. The door opened and she was tossed inside. The cell was too small to properly stand or sit down on. "Squat," the Inquisitor ordered. When Elpsis was too slow to respond, the guards forced her into a squatting position. "Make sure she does not stop. Jedi Diona, you are responsible for the prisoner."

"Yes, Inquisitor. Two-man patrols at all times. Do not take your eyes off her. Keep your senses alert." The door was slammed shut.

Elpsis was left alone in the cell. Having been forced into squatting position, she tried to prop herself up with her hands. Pain shot through her injured leg. When she faltered and failed to maintain the position, a guard rushed into the room to beat her and force her back into it, applying a prod. Moreover, propaganda blared out of the loudspeakers. Again and again, the Dominion's warped Jedi Code was being repeated. Loud enough to make it impossible for her to sleep, as if her position was not already uncomfortable enough.

"There is no emotion, there is calm.
There is no ignorance, there is obedience.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is order.
There is no death, there is the Light."

She needed to do...Something. She was a Kerrigan-Alcori. Strong and fierce. She was not a victim. Slowly, she removed a hand from the ground. The tight collar itched. What was it again that Mother was fond of saying? Pain was just weakness leaving the body. The old queen loved her lectures, but it applied here. She waited, hearing the tell-tale sound of the guard's boots thumping up and down the corridor. When she believed she was in the clear, she concentrated intently. Pain shot through her as she tried to focus on the Force. It took all of her willpower to keep herself from crying out in anguish. Electrical shocks coursed through her. She almost hit her head against the wall.

Slowly, the bullet was pulled out as she forced her focus to microsopic levels. The tiny projectile ended up on the floor. Blood seeped out of the ghastly wound. She breathed in heavily, bathed in cold sweat. Her hand moved with glacial slowness as she applied to the badly bleeding part of her leg. She withdrew it with a start when agony overtook her. Applying it again, she willed fire to come to life. Now she could not keep herself from crying out in anguish as she burnt her own skin and the collar shocked her in return.

She could hear an alarm had been triggered. There were shouts and guards ran towards her cell. She forced herself to persevere. Skin burnt away, but the wound was cauterised. The pain spiked, and her heart raced, thumping so loudly that it felt like it might burst out. The empath shook badly, as if experiencing a seizure. Her head hurt like hell and her muscles convulsed. She could not think, move or act. The door was pulled open. The last thing she felt before collapsing was a truncheon being applied to her face.

xxx

Captain Ul was not Tegaea's only guest. Firemane's token Sith Pureblood ended up appearing in the conference room as well. The smear of blood was on her hands. Maybe a bit difficult to tell since her skin was red anyway. "I'm invited as well," she declared to the guards. She was not the type to stand in ceremony.

"Lady Alcori is occupied, Sith," one of them responded disapprovingly.

"And I know where her daughter is. Little firecracker, ring a bell?" Nyssa growled.

"Let her through," Colonel Varkathras interjected, trying to swallow the disgust she felt at the sight of the Sith. The Cathar had moved away from many of her Jedi beliefs, but she was no fan of the woman. Too fond of bloodshed, too unrepentant about her deeds in the service of the Sith. "I assume the prisoner is still alive," she said a bit suspiciously. "What did you get out of her?"

"Yes to the first. As for the second, screams, preaching, an emotional breakdown and a couple names."

xxx

Meanwhile, Laira and her crew of misfits were not just being pursued by Dominion kill teams. Other figures followed them, moving quietly and seemlessly blending into the jungle. Having Cloaks of Nuun at hand was a boon in that regard. Silent signals passed between the scouts. For the time being they took no action - just observed.

The Jedi Princess herself would sense nothing untoward - at least not through the Force. Their presence would leave no ripples in the omnipresent energy field. At most, one could perhaps sense the absence of Force signatures, a mere void. Mezha Krazhmir followed silently and cautiously.

The six troopers trudged through jungle undergrowth, a light rain drizzling down from the canopy upon them. The pitter patter of water droplets throughout the jungle obscured their ability to hear, making it rather easy for the Yuuzhan Vong and their Cloaks of Nuun to hide at some distance, keeping an eye on the interlopers from afar. The team of Firemane forces made their way back towards the crash site they had chosen, one that Naya, the Qadiri, had determined to have been cleared by the Dominion kill squads. She had heard shots come from that direction, both blaster from the pilot and slugthrowers from the Dominion and had guessed that the cruel Dominion Forces had executed one of the downed pilots and moved on to the next crash site.

The plan was to hide out there and wait for extraction from Firemane for as long as they could. Laira’s understanding was that Firemane would send drones to the sites first, before scouring the rest of the jungle for them. By waiting at one they Dominion had killed someone at, maybe it would take the Jedi fanatics a while to find them, maybe even long enough for them to get picked up.

The group was most of the way there when one of the Firemane Pilots signaled for a halt, raising his fist and dropping to a crouch behind a large tree. Disret was his name. With his hand he pointed at a small group of Dominion forces, what appeared to be ten men all standing together. With them, they had a hostage in binders and seemed to be discussing what their next move should be. Laira slid to her belly, peering through the jungles from the ground. Behind her she could hear one of her teammates crawling up to her position. It was Naya, who slithered beside her with elegant grace and quiet movements. “We should wait for them to move on.” She whispered, almost not speaking.

They have one of our own. We have to help him.

Naya made a wincing face, but seemed to understand Laira’s position. “Agreed. They will know where we are though.

That’s fine. We’ll be moving anyway.” The redhead rationalized it easily. They’d just have to grab the prisoner and move on as quickly as possible. “Just the four of us. We’ll move to catch them from two angles and take them down as quickly as possible.” The qadiri nodded, moving off to the side of the redhead on her stomach. With Cix injured he needed help moving, and Leo stayed with his compatriot very well. The two troopers were altered, marred with surgical scars from procedures that rendered them above human. Leo had often mentioned that while they weren’t superhuman by any means, their muscles didn’t fatigue like normal men and so their stamina could be said to be above that of a man. While at the time he hadn’t been saying it for any strategic reason, it did make him best suited for carrying the equipment and the injured Death Trooper.

Laira waited until Naya was in position, and then started. She aimed her pilfered carbine at the Dominion Forces, noting they had their prisoner kneeling, blood coming from his brow much like how the redhead’s on brow was now sported a cut above her eye. His looked fresher than something he could have received from the crash however. The Dominion had placed a vest, likely a restraining device, on him and were now simply chatting about who would have to go back with the prisoner and who would have to continue to sweep the forest. The redhead lined up her rifle, taking aim. Her finger squeezed the trigger. To the sides of her others did as well, stuttering out in short bursts at the Dominion Forces.

Laira’s weapon sputtered out a handful of rounds into one trooper, her barrel moving to the next as quickly as she could. The Dominion Forces were quick to react, some flat-footed, but all trained soldiers. Most of them dropped towards cover after the initial burst of fire from the jungle around them, nevertheless the first three troopers dropped dead, riddled with slugs. The Firemane pilot started to shout something but he was cut off suddenly by an explosion. The vest he was wearing was an ancient restraining device, one rigged with explosives connected to a life sign trigger one of the Dominion troopers was wearing. When he dropped it or when he died, the device triggered and detonated. The explosion wasn’t enough to wipe out the Dominion Troopers, just enough to send a large column of smoke up through the canopy like a bright red smoke signal.

Damn it!” Naya howled at the sudden loss of her comrade. Behind her Leo had charged up from his position, standing amidst the undergrowth and rattling off rounds with his pistol. Four in quick succession. Two of the remaining Dominion troopers ceased firing, dead from his precise fire. As it turned out, Death Trooper armor was largely impenetrable to the basic slugthrowers the Dominion were using. Laira and the other Firemane forces quickly advanced behind him and eliminated the troopers in a surge of violence. Laira snapped off short bursts at the ground, trying to conserve ammunition, but Gel and Disret seemed to be in shock that their comrade was now just a burning corpse, red smoke still rising from his body. His features were twisted in pain, almost like he had attempted to scream right as the explosion occurred. Their response was much less reserved, unleashing a hailstorm of bullets into the jungle. Silence filled the air a moment later, eleven corpses strewn across the ground.

Naya knelt at the body of the captured pilot, meanwhile Leo carried on scavenging weapons and equipment without a word. Laira approached the Qadiri carefully, placing a hand on her shoulder. “Did you know him?” the redhead asked, trying to offer the woman some comfort.

Not personally, no. But he was one of mine. This Dominion is cruel. They are evil.

Laira was starting to believe that in her gut, a feeling of disgust souring her once hopeful desire for peace. Vengeance was wrong, but certainly these people deserved some for the way they treated their prisoners. These weren't Jedi. These were hardly even people, not even the citizens of the Galactic Empire acted as if it's cruelty was natural. Sure there were evil men among its numbers, but most were just ordinary people, however the Dominion seemed to be wholly crafted from evil men with few exceptions like Mara. “Not all of them,” Laira said at last. “There are some who want what we want, but they are buried by fanatics and tyrants. We have to set them free is all.

Naya grimaced, shaking her head, but she did not retort. Laira could sense she disagreed, and part of the redhead didn't truly believe what she had said.

We need to get moving again or they will find us here in the open.” Leo's voice called through the sound of rain and sizzling flesh.

He's right. Let's go, same formation.” And off they went again, at a much more hurried pace.

~

Kira snapped a quick salute, holding out the report. “Probabat Shun sent sensor data back to Doctor Ur’dax, our Xenobiologist, just before his X-Wing was taken down.” Or during, the records weren’t exact, but the transmission was either sent in the second right before or during the crash. Perhaps the Force-Sensitive Givin had foreseen his predicament and prepared for it. She wasn't quite sure what he was capable of.

He identified a fungal anomaly in the atmosphere in the jungle region he identified as being a ‘technophage’. As we understand it, none of the pilots that were downed in that region have activated their emergency beacons or attempted communicate with the fleet, which would support his hypothesis. They might not realize it, but they are blind, deaf, and mute down there. From my understanding of your drones capabilities, close scans of the region would place them in jeopardy of the anomaly, which will limit our search capabilities until the good doctor can get samples and tell us how to counteract the fungus’s effects.” Assuming he could at all.

What more was she supposed to say, that their pilots were screwed and they had little chance of finding them for the time being. Captain Ul didn’t even know that Elpsis was missing or captured, she wasn’t one of the people on Firemane’s mailing list yet. Maybe in time she'd get there, but for now she was just the deliver of bad news to go with the piping hot cup of 'your kid might be dead' Tegaea had just gotten.

~

The team made quick time, even if Cix was struggling at the pace they were moving. He was coughing more, and from the sound of it, his lungs were starting to fill faster than they had before. He didn’t have all day to sit around waiting for pick up before he succumbed to his injuries. Laira was struggling with the idea of doing it herself, seeing what she could do, but she’d either save his life or kill him in the process so she wanted to wait until it was a last resort, where he’d die anyway if she didn’t do anything. At least that way his death wouldn’t be on her she thought. She also wanted to have a private conversation with Leo as soon as they could find a moment, he was troubling her with his coldness.

Gel piped up from the side, “I see it. Firebird’s still in one piece.” He said, pulling from cover and moving to the wreckage. The fighter appeared only slightly damaged, its engine unit blown out from laserfire, but otherwise intact. The Pilot’s body was found not far away, several slugthrower wounds in his body, weapon in hand.

Alright, Naya, why don’t you, Gel, and Disret do a quick sweep of our surroundings. Leo and I will see to Cix and see if we can get some quick base camp set up.” She turned to her boy toy and stuck her chin out, “Lay him down under the wing so he can rest.

Naya and the others nodded and started a short patrol, Cix crawled under the wing, using it as a makeshift leanto. Meanwhile Leo took to pulling off pieces of the craft’s armor that were loose and putting them into a pile. Laira took her chance, and walked up to him, wrapping her arms around his torso and burying her face in his chest. “I’m so glad you made it.” She whispered. Surprisingly he returned her embrace, hugging her tightly.

Me too, red. When we heard you went down I got spooked real bad. Luckily we got dropped like, five seconds later and you came to our rescue.” He rested his head against hers gently. Laira felt safe for the first time she had been in the jungles on Tephrike in Leo’s arms. She really needed to have that talk with Elpsis before she let things go on too long.

I was worried with you giving me the cold shoulder. Thought you blamed me.

I’m sorry, I’m just trying to focus on getting you and Cix out of here alive. It’s a little hard to flirt and stay in fight mode for me. Mission minded and all.

Well, stop that, I need some reassurances every now and again.

By the Emperor’s bones, will you two get a room. I'm trying to die over you two are so bad.” Cix’s voice was hoarse and ragged as he jabbed at them from under the wing of the Firebird Fighter.

Laira laughed and released Leo from her grip, “Come on, we need to do our part.” With some reluctance, the Death Trooper did the same and returned to his task.

Yes ma’am. Come on, lightsaber off some of the pieces so we can make a quick barricade. Around that side of the ship.” The redhead did as instructed, slicing off pieces of the ship in small enough fragments that the Death Trooper could carry them and stick them into the ground as he prepared a makeshift defensive wall around the wing and nose of the fighter, using it to cover their back. All that remained was to sit and wait, and hope the Dominion didn’t find them.

They had a decent waist high wall going when Disret started shouting and firing his stolen Slugthrower. “HOSTILES!” Laira snapped her head in his direction, watching Naya and Gel tear from the underbrush, diving over the metal barricade with their weapons held close.

How many?

Enough.” Naya grunted as she rolled to her knees, sticking her weapon out from the barricade and getting ready to start firing at targets as they appeared.

Disret started running in their direction, a storm of fire erupting from the jungle, shredding him as he ran towards the starfighter. “Oh, chit.” Leo grunted, ducking as the storm continued, slamming rounds into his chest armor and the side of the Starfighter. “There’s gotta be a whole platoon out there.” He muttered, reaching for a carbine. “Man down, Cix. We’re gonna need you.

Right, right. I can fight.” He said. Laira knew that he couldn’t really, but he was wearing the same gear as Leo and had the same training. Lieutenant Stalgis had sent him as Laira’s second in command for a reason. He crawled further into the leanto to dig out a gap under the barricade so he could have himself his own little murderhole to fire from.

Laira checked the ammunition in her own weapon, and braced it to her shoulder. She would need to rely on the Force some. Conserve she repeated in her head. Not just ammunition but also stamina and endurance. She channeled her presence into her senses and muscles, enhancing her reflexes and hopefully her ability to sense danger and began returning fire in three round bursts into the jungle. Through the mist from the rain, she could see their shapes, the Dominion Troopers besieging them. These men were not like the ones before, they weren’t out for a walk to kill pilots.

These men weren’t even what she’d call professionals given their lack of precision. Hell, they made Stormtroopers look like marksmen, but they were dumping ammunition downrange. “What the hell are they doing.” Laira asked, snapping off a few rounds and felling one of the enemies in the jungles. Her enhanced reflexes allowed her to aim and seemingly take her time doing so, while in actuality she was moving quickly and suddenly.

These are militia. This is just holding us in place for the real soldiers to get here.

[member="Tegaea Alcori"]

Siobhan read the message as it came through. Will you have the nerve to see things through? Especially if bodies start piling up. The thought was treacherous, but emerged nonetheless. Gven Tegs' wavering, she could not help feel doubts. Regardless, the die had been cast.

Her reply was brief. Acknowledged. Send me what data you have on Tephrike. She did not offer reinforcements, not yet. She checked her chronometre. The next few hours would be filled with meetings, about the progress of Firemane forces on the Krolis front, construction of the space habitats, business matters with Kaylah and other issues. She could not allow events on Tephrike to get to her. To all intents and purposes, she was Firemane. A crack inside her armour equated to weakness in Firemane.

Rising from her chair, she exited the room. Outside the chamber, Tenacity had maintained a respectful distance. The Dahomian officer fell in line with her boss. "Ma'am, if I may ask..." the aide began cautiously. By now, she had a good grasp of when her chief was in a sour mood.

"Elpsis was captured. I want a report on how many troops we would be able to deploy to Tephrike on short nice if need be."

"Yes, ma'am. I'll get in touch with Captain Destiny." Destiny was another Dahomian and in charge of Logistics. "I must point out that many battlegroups are still committed to the Krolis front. Others are tasked with engaging Kraal and Scutarii war bands. Not to mention securing Project Future. Trying to deplete the QRF will..."

"Leave us exposed," Siobhan finished for her, interjecting gruffly. Keeping the troops on distant Tephrike supplied would already be a huge undertaking. A long supply train was an open invitation to enemies. Like it or not, Firemane's resources were finite. "I am aware, Major. And Firemane will not be humiliated by the Burlap Brigade. Compile a report."

"As you wish, Lady Kerrigan. Should I inform Major Tempest? She'd be very...motivated to go to Tephrike."

Siobhan thought for a moment. "No. I'll alert her myself when the time is right. Instruct General Devotion to drive her troops forward. Forced marches. No reprieve. I want her to make the League howl. And instruct our negotiators to impress upon the Sistren that the hour of decision is now."

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One

At the banter between Leonina and Nyssa, Tegaea held up her hand.
“Enough. Tell me what she said. Do you trust it?”
“She was telling the truth. What really broke her was that her glorious Jedi masters tossing her aside. Still, we made sure we squeezed her like a sponge,” Nyssa said. She saw Tegaea’s stony glance and continued. “She outlined six prisons and holding areas in and around Nexus city. She suggested they’d take her to their main ‘Jedi jail’ where they put Force sensitives.”
“Right, it’s a start. It depends how smart and how forward thinking the Dominion is. Anything else?”
“She gave some names, like I said. Chief Inquisitor – weird title for a Jedi – seems like a real piece of work. She didn’t have much good to say about the Grand Master, seems he’s a bit of a nut.”
“May have been the betrayer, or maybe this Inquisitor. Doesn’t matter in the end. Give me all the details you and Freya found out when we’re done here.”

She looked to Kira. “That just makes things even better,” she said sourly. “If the regular drones won’t do, I have a shielded prototype, completely sealed and protected. We were going to use it in toxic atmosphere because it could – for a while – harmful gasses or particles. Unfortunately we only have one of them, so we’ll only be able to check one of the crash sites at a time. So I want you to help supervise this drone’s descent, guide it to the useful locations one by one. When you find something let us know and we can provide assistance.”
“One more thing, boss, it’s important. One of the things the Jedi squealed about was that they have some sort of secret weapon.”
Tegaea looked at her. “What sort? Why haven’t they used it yet?”
“I don’t know if they can. She hinted, after we squeezed her hard that there were rumours about some sort of last ditch deterrent under Nexus City. She says she doesn’t know what exactly, only that the Grandmaster could use it to ‘purge the city’.”
A grimace. “Some sort of concealed superweapon or contingency? Colonel Varkathras, see if you can find out anything else from our scans, and we’ll have to be on the lookout. Whatever it is doesn’t sound nice, but we’re not sure what form it’ll take.”

Tegaea checked her chrono. It was time. She almost felt liberated now the decision was made, the nerves and doubt from before had largely passed, filled with a dull anger.

She re-entered the bridge and was presented with a targeting list.
“They’ve raised the shield, ma’am. Old style theatre shield, covers the 10km around the centre of the Jedi Temple. Scans and drone images indicated it was patched but in good repair.”
“Then we test it. Target outside locations, ready the Harbinger cannons. Dispatch a Fulminatus to the atmosphere, tell them to use the new magpulse torpedoes. When the shield weakens, hit the generator directly.”
She stared down at Nexus city far below. “I will find you, Elpsis, I swear it…dead or alive. If they have killed you…I will avenge you.” This all in a low monotone audible only to herself.
“Ma’am? Targets locked in.”
“No reply from the surface?”
“No, ma’am, we’re one minute past the hour.”
“Then so be it. You may fire at all, Captain. Concentrate on the targets and for now avoid collateral.”

The massive ship did not move from the recoil of the guns, nor were they audible. Instead the bright flashes and arcing red bolts arced down to the surface far below.
She glanced at the spy cams and monitors as the images came up.

A Dominion air field on the outskirts of the shield.
2H1o.gif

Gone.

A Dominion barracks and training location.
1ECv.gif

Gone.

A Dominion air defence emplacement.
giphy.gif

Gone.

The flashes appeared as pinpricks below, but the drones and sensors beamed in the images. Ruin, devastation.
There were misses, of course. Orbital bombardments were rarely pinpoint accurate. Here and there great craters and gouges were torn into the earth, and woe be to anyone nearby when this happened. Tegaea didn’t relish it, but their leader had made their decision.

And then there was the shield. The harbinger rounds splashed off it.
“Shield is holding for now, ma’am.”
“Continue the bombardment. We will break through it one way or another. It will give us time for the Fulminatus to get into position. Prepare a bomber squadron. If all else fails we’ll take it down the old fashioned way with some daredevil piloting.”

"The Sith are firing, Grandmaster. But the shield is holding." a clone commander informed his liege.
"You see, Mahtara. It is as I predicted. The will of the Force has been made manifest in my visions. The void will seek to swallow us, but a cleansing Light will pierce the darkness," the Grandmaster declared.
"Yes, Grandmaster. I see my error now," Mahtara replied. Namely the error of underestimating your utter stupidity, she thought to herself, though she took care not to project this outward. Her mental walls were very strong.
"Antonius, how soon until the hammers of light are ready?"
"They are moving into position as we speak, Grandmaster. Their wielders have meditated and are fully committed to their sacred mission."
"Good. If the Sith dare to test the resolve of the servants of the Light, we shall do what we must in defence of all that is good and pure."
The ground shook again. "Grandmaster, no doubt the outsiders will try to land. I must rally your forces. By your leave," Mahtara spoke up. Her new Inquisitorial minder followed her as she left the Council chambers. She could not get out of the temple fast enough.

xxx

Nyssa watched the bombardment from the ship. She saw the bright flashes and arcing red bolts arc down to the surface far below. Where they fell, they desolation. Down there, many lives were being snuffed out. She felt no pity for them though. This was war, after all. "Pretty, isn't it? Hope you enjoy the kiss of light, Jedi," she grunted. "Elpsis, don't let me down and get yourself killed," she muttered. "We beat up a bunch of immortal super-beings, so you can handle a couple two-bit Jedi," Her hard words concealed worry.
"Vykaris, come over here," the commanding voice of Colonel Varkathras pulled her out of her musings. Nyssa did not like taking orders from a feline, but she figured things could be worse.
"Yes, ma'am, something up?"
"This just got in. Our latest sensor readings. Have a look."
A lot of what the sensors had picked up was mundane. However, as Nyssa analysed the readings, there was something she noted that went beyond the norm. "Colonel," she raised her voice to get the attention of Leonina, who was conversing with some aides. "Got something here. There's been a spike in radiation in these areas..."

xxx

"The Sithling almost killed herself healing her leg. If we keep this up, she dies," Diona pointed out.
"Which is why healers are seeing to her now. Things are progressing as desired."
"You...expected this to happen?"
"Jedi Diona, you are a skilled warrior, but not Consular. I tested her resilience. But it is not pain I wish to inflict. Rather I shall instruct her. This battle shall not be won with fire and blood, but with words."
"You want to reeducate her," Diona realised. "Do you know how many of our people she killed? How dangerous she is?"
"Which will make it even greater victory when she humbles herself and lets the Light into her heart. We Inquisitors are not butchers, Jedi Diona. We do not kill wantonly like the Sith. We are healers, charged with saving the souls of those who have succumbed to corruption. Like your friend Aliura, this one will be brought into the Light."
"Aliura," Diona muttered. She swallowed. Things she did not want to remember threatened to rear their ugly head. "Of course. Inquisitor...the Sith will invade soon. I request permission to join my fellow guardians in the defence of the Dominion."
"Your dedication to the cause is laudable, but I must deny your request. The prisoner will be moved to a safer location. You are to continue as her jailer."
"Leave Nexus City? Inquisitor, the battle is here. The fate of our country will be decided here. The Sith are out there in the sky."
The Inquisitor only looked at her serenely and placed a hand on Diona's shoulder. "Trust in the Light, Jedi Diona. The wheels are in motion. The grand design of our Grandmaster will be revealed soon. Now prepare everything for immediate transport."

xxx

Elpsis could not see the devastation that was being wrought in key areas in and around Nexus City. Blindness aside, she was too far away to bear witness to it. The collar also stiffled her ability to feel the ripples through the Force. However, she could hear it. It was like thunder, except much, much louder. The entire building trembled, as if suffering from the effects of an earthquake. She had been given very rudimentary medical care. The drugs dulled the pain, but had the same effect on her senses.

"Where are you taking me?" she could not quite keep out the note of fear in her voice and cursed herself for it.
"Where Sithlings like you belong," one of the Jedi guards dragging her grunted. With her leg a mess, she could not walk well on her own.
"You hear the noise out there?" she asked rhetorically. "The tremors. It's no quake. It's my mother's guns firing."
"The dark sorcery does not frighten us. The Light will shield us and the foul legions will be smote by it."
"You don't get it. If you fight, you die - needlessly. Those weapons can crack even your shield. Look, I don't want war. I don't want anyone to get hurt. Send me back and..." she did not get any further because the female Jedi guardian stuffed a gag into her mouth.
"We have our orders," Diona said coldly.
Gagged, cuffed and collared, Elpsis was dragged out of the building through a secret exit. A black van awaited her. She was unceremoniously dumped inside and cuffed to her seat. Then the van was slammed shut. Inside it was dark. She heard engines humming to life as the vehicle took off. The pounding continued, but grew fainter with each moment that passed. This meant that they were leaving the city.

She tried to stretch out with the Force. She could not use her powers, but maybe she could reach her mother, Laira, Nyssa, anyone...Her reward was an electrical shock. She soon last track of how much time passed. It was a bumpy ride on poorly maintained roads. The roar of cannons was soon replaced by that of thunder. Bolts of lightning slashed from the heavens and rain poured down. Her body was exhausted and as the drugs started to wear off, her injuries started to pain her again. She was cold, hungry and thirsty. Her dirty uniform itched.

Eventually, the van came to a halt, after reaching what seemed like a camp - barbed wire, watchtowers, makeshift barracks, a bunker. Her guards dragged her out of the van. Elpsis was too tired to put up more than token resistance and in any case their strength was too great. After being dragged into a building, she was brought into yet another room and tied to a chair. A cool breeze caused her to shiver. She tensed when she heard the sound of boots coming from outside. A presence entered the room. It felt...familiar, but she could not place it.

"What is your name?" the voice asked. Its tone was soft. It put her on edge.
"Elpsis...Elpsis Kerrigan-Alcori."
"That is the name of the old you. The one stained by corruption."
"If this is a recruitment pitch, you really suck at 'em."
"I apologise for the rough treatment you have endured. Our people can be a bit overzealous."
"If you wanna apologise, let me go. Before more people die."
"We will let you go. We have never intended you any harm. All we do, is to set you free from evil," Elpsis grew tense when the figure approached her. She tried to pull away but her head was grabbed and held in place. "I am sorry for what is about to happen. There is no emotion, there is calm. There is no ignorance, there is obedience. There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no chaos, there is order. There is no death, there is the Light."

The mental assault began as a sharp pain deep inside her skull, like a hot knife stabbing directly into Elpsis' brain before carving down to slice the hemisphere in twain. Then the knife exploded, sending thousands of shards into every direction. Elpsis felt like she was burning alive and being consumed by arctic cold at the same time. She pushed - as hard as she could. The collar sent electrical shocks coursing her, but still she pushed, trying to force the mentalist out of her mind.

It was futile. She was too weakened by her exertions. Thus Elpsis was left with screams, as the interrogator reached into the deepest recesses of her mind. Reaching into her web of memories, she pulled with all her power. All what Elpsis was and had been was laid bare before her. Exhaustion had taken its toll on Elpsis. The girl breathed heavily, sweating despite the chill in the room. When the interrogator finally withdrew from her mind and the guards undid her bonds, she could not even put up token resistance. Indeed, she staggered and threatened to fall when they forced her to her feet. It was Diona who caught her.

Her body was shaking when the guards led her to her cell. Highly unpleasant smells invaded her nostrils when the door was swung open and she was forced into the very small, squalid cell. Once she had been deposited on the dirty ground, the Jedi guards restrained her with handcuffs and a pair of foot shackles. These were linked together with iron chains. The door slammed shut. The girl winced. Trying to move in the shackles caused them to rub her feet, paining her.

She winced when she heard noise, fearing it might be the guards. However, she was soon disabused of this notion when rats crawled out of their hiding holes. Soon they were crawling over her, scratching, clawing and biting. With her hands and legs bound, she could not defend herself. Instead she was trapped in a pitch-black cell. All the while, propaganda droned out of the loudspeaker, extolling the virtues of the Dominion and proclaiming victory over the invading Sith forces. Too loud for her to find sleep.

xxx

Diona's bunk was not much bigger than Elpsis' cell, though obviously a lot cleaner and not infested with rats. It obviously had a bed. Still, the Jedi guardian found no sleep. Her younger self would have meditated, but she had long given up on that practice. Her younger self had been full of hope, optimism and ideals. Foolish girl.

Instead she retrieved a syringe from a hidden can. Her hands shook slightly, before she jabbed it into her neck. The drug worked its way into system. There was pain, then numbness, followed by a feeling of lightheadedness. Her vision grew hazy. Images flashed before her mind. Pleading faces, dead bodies, so much blood. Then she felt as if she was flying. Away from the killing fields, the torture chambers, away from everything.

The small makeshift barricade let out a melody of metallic pings as slugthrower rounds impacted the shorn armor of the starfighter. Laira had already caught a few rounds that struck the starfighter and bounced off, hot to the touch, landing in her hair or collar before she could slap it away from her fair skin. She alternated between glancing through the gaps in the barricade for targets and releasing short bursts of fire from her slugthrower in their direction, doing her best to wound or disable the Dominion Militia who were focused on keeping the five survivors pinned.

Leo and Cix were accustomed to this style of fighting, both better suited to this style of warfare than they were in the air, quite her opposite. Cix had his little dugout murderhole beneath the barricade he used to take out any of the militia foolish enough to live their cover in his line of fire. Leo occasionally snapped off shots, normally following a storm where the militia had emptied their magazines. She didn’t know how many of them they had managed to kill, but the bulletstorm hadn’t quite died off enough. Naya was wounded, having taken a round to the shoulder when she had tried to return fire while Gel was trying to patch her up.

Damn, these guys don’t let up.” She remarked, noting how many hundreds of rounds the militia had burned through while only killing one of their number, and wounding another.

Like I said, they are equipped to pin down resistance so the real killers can show up and handle us.

It doesn’t matter how much they shoot at us. We will outlast them.” Naya was stoic as ever, her face mirroring her grim resolve. With any luck, she was right, and Firemane was already securing the area from the sky, extraction teams already preparing to fly to their aid.

How many grenades do we have.

Six, all sonic imploders. Trust me, six don’t last long in a situation like this.” Cix coughed again. Laying on his stomach was making his lungs fill up faster, or at least it seemed that way. He was practically drowning before Laira’s eyes, just soldiering on without complaint.

Leo, if you see a big enough group of them, let em have one. Just one for now though.

You got it.” He murmured. She registered his emotions quickly, he disagreed with her assessment. Too bad, they needed some relief, maybe. The Death Trooper lobbed one over his shoulder, hearing it fall through the wet leaves and branches until it detonated with a loud pop, followed by screams and cries of agony. The storm of bullets stopped coming from that direction, and the Dominion officers started shouting again. Some of them were pointing to the sky, more lances of energy tearing through clouds and disappearing from sight as the bolts continued their path to the ground.

The earth rumbled and the dull roar echoed in the distance.

Through the Force Laira could feel the lives that were suddenly extinguished, once there and then gone the next breath. It was an eerie reminder of her own mortality. She felt the Dominion people around them spend a the moments of the bombardment in awe, sorrow and sadness filling their auras. These people knew they were outmatched, that they couldn’t win against the fleet Firemane had arrived with. Just as she expected the will to fight to fade, it came back ever stronger. Anger, hatred, determination. Outmatched, woefully unprepared to ward off the foreign invaders that threatened their homes, and their fighting spirit was as strong as ever. Laira peered out from her hiding spot once more, watching a dozen or so figures darting through the jungle as they tried to spread out more to limit casualties from further grenades. The officers seemed to be coming up with a strategy of their own, rather than just waiting for backup to arrive. She saw some of the troopers dart off to either side around the Starfighter to flank the survivors. She snapped off a few more rounds into an unfortunate soul and watched him drop to the jungle floor in a slump before ducking once more.

How many more were there?

~

Thank you ma’am.” Kira responded, snapping a stiff bodied salute. So she had a single probe to get down there and find her boys, then she had to organize a group to get down there and get them. No problem. She excused herself from the Commander and her pretty pet Sith, taking a seat at a station where the slightly inconvenienced officer who sat at the console could show her the drone’s progress while she organized everything else. “Stalgis, get the team in the U-Wing. Pack for Counter Assault. I want you in the air and ready as soon as we find them.

~

Here they are.” Cix cried, crawling backwards from his spot, the wing of the starfighter being strafed with crimson beams, leaving scorch marks and burning craters into the metal. “Waited long enough for them to get here.

Who?” Gel asked, sliding further into his corner.

The Dominion’s real soldiers. Looks like they set up a stationary weapon to that side. Probably have a few marksmen all around. Keep your heads down.” Cix stopped crawling, rolling to his side up against the Starfighter. He seemed to realize something and then his hands tucked into the exposed wiring of the fighter. Laira had no clue what he was up to, but then again he knew better than she did.

Gel nodded, Naya once again grimaced. Clearly she didn’t like that they would be unable to return fire as often as they had been. The woman readied to fire off a few rounds when she saw Leo do the same and take three rounds to the shoulder. His armor withstood the slugs, but it was the most any of them had been hit since they took cover. “See. Gonna try a grenade at the weapon emplacement.

No, its too far. Fifty meters.

Dang Laira. How good a look did you get?

Enough. Three operators. Usually that means one of them is a shield operator too.” All they had to do was survive until Firemane could send them help, that’s it. All they had to do was wait and they would all make it. No reason to take any risks, there was nothing they needed to do to get out of this mess.

A cry went up from the Dominion forces. No, more of a chant, as though they were rallying themselves or revving themselves up for a push. “Buckle up, here they come.” The chanting continued, drowning out the rain and mixing with the sustained bursts of gunfire and laser fire. Each of the survivors braced and shuttered. Laira had never been in a light fight that lasted this long, going on thirty minutes of occasionally getting to shoot back into the darkened jungle. She tensed her muscles, waiting for the inevitable push.

It's not just a push.” The redheaded princess looked up, “It's a Jedi.” His aura was bright, but not oppressive compared Elpsis, her father, or Joza. His was more like her own, steely determination filled his presence. Duty, responsibility. “They’re chanting his name.

Great, you got him?

What?” Laira whipped her head around to look at Naya, her brow furrowed.

You are a Force user right, you can take him?

Maybe? I don’t know, I’ve not exactly been in a ton of duels.

Abominations. Your lives need not be wasted in this vain attempt. Surrender now, and I will show mercy upon you. You will be taken to-” The Jedi started his rhetoric, offering them a chance to surrender before he lead the soldiers and militia in the effort of overwhelming the survivors. He was cut off by Leo, who hurled a sonic imploder in his direction.

Suck on this, dirtbag!” The device hurled through the air and stopped suddenly, the Jedi’s hand held aloft. As the grenade came to a stop the sensor within it detonated. Hardly what Leo had wanted to use one of his grenades to do, but the sensor did keep it from being thrown back at him.

Very well.” The Jedi said, Laira could hear the remorse in his voice, but it was matched by the clarity of his mandate. There was no doubt in him that she could sense. Just cold, emotionless, resolve.

The storm of fire began again, but this time the Dominion militia launched themselves from their cover, surging forward. Slugthrower fire from the survivors stuttered outwards, dropping several from the rushing crowd as they rushed the barricade. Laira looked to her friends, Cix was hurriedly digging in the guts of the starfighter, but was reaching for his pistol. Leo was spraying the carbine with one hand, not bothering to aim with it while he snapped off rounds with his pistol. Naya grimaced, holding her pistol and a knife. She had been shot again in the stomach by the Dominion troopers. Gel, though she didn't’ know him well she felt his courage, was emptying his carbine into the rushing militia.

It was a last stand, plain and simple. There was no survival anymore, only taking as many of their enemies with them as they could. No barriers, no one to save them.

Deep inside the redhead she felt the Force, a sensation she had never felt from it before. It urged her forward, pressed the lightsaber into her hand. No thoughts buzzed through her mind, she didn’t have control of her own body. It felt as though she was simply acting. The sound of the snap hiss of the blade cut through the air as her legs took her to mounting the barricade. It was more than a tool. More than a weapon. It was a symbol, carried for millennia by the men and women who generation after generation bore a title that inspired hope and courage across the galaxy.

She swept the blade in a wide arc, taking two of the militiamen before anyone had a chance to react. Her left hand jutted out, flames licking from her palms into the surging crowd as it came to a halt. It didn’t occur to Laira how intimidating it would be for poorly trained jedi-worshipping fanatics to stare across the field and see a Force user, she wasn’t thinking anymore. The gout of flame tore into the huddled crowd as many in the front stopped before they came into range of the ancient energy blade. Screams and cries broke out, and then all was still.

The fires gave way, the energy blade crackling against the metal saber wielded by the Jedi warrior who opposed the redheaded Jedi from a distant world.

The two Jedi stood, blades locked for what seemed like an eternity. Time moved slow for Laira, and still she had barely seen him charge forward. Suddenly the two were moving again, the redhead pushing forward off the barricade and the Jedi dodging under her blade, sweeping for her midsection with his own. A burst from her powerful leg muscles sent her over him, landing among the Dominion forces. She flicked her wrist and snapped the blade, catching those close enough to her as the Jedi twirled on the balls of his feet even as she landed.

His movements lacked flourish, everything he did was predatory in nature. Nothing was wasted, every movement he made put him closer to his goal. He advanced quickly, his blade slashing from low to high across her body, forcing her to retreat a half step. She flicked her silver lightsaber back in his direction, bringing it to a mid-guard as he launched a second attack, still on the advance. She stepped forward, clashing her blade against his. Laira took a deep breath, there was a reason her father had been called the Dragon of Alderaan. She exhaled in a roar, fire burning from her mouth towards the Jedi’s face. His stern expression remained, unfazed, the fire burning around him. He snapped his leg out, catching Laira behind the knee, dropping the woman to kneeling before him. His blade pressed hard against hers, the humming weapon buzzing near her throat, his saber against her shoulder.

He was stronger than her. He was better than her. His weapon was bearing down against her flesh, pressing against the bone of her shoulder. Soon he’d start cleaving into her body, and then she’d be dead. Her hand grabbed his blade, holding it tight. Blood seeped around the wound, dripping down to the ground as the surged the Force into all her muscles.

The Jedi warrior did the same, all the muscles in his chest and back tensing as he tried to carve through her. The lightsaber clicked off, Laira moving it suddenly to the center of his chest and then reactivating it. The iconic snap-hiss of the blade was followed by a sudden gasp from the man’s throat. She could see the silver light from the blade in the back of his throat. Burning meat and blood filled her nostrils and for a moment the world was still, the searing pain in her hand didn’t bother her.

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One

Tegaea continued to stare as though entranced at the distant lightshow below.
“Ma’am, the shield remains up. If it goes down I cannot speak to the accuracy of our bombardment in the city.”
“Fear not, it’s been accounted for. My strategy is about to pay off.” At the confused look from the Captain, Tegaea nodded. “Mirage squadron will make the run when the shield is offline. Mirage leader, this is Command, you are go for your run once the corvette has downed the shield.”
“Understood, Ma’am, we’re on our approach now.”

Turning her attention back to Kira, she approached. “Captain, a moment before you depart.” She led the other woman aside and out of earshot. “Elpsis, against my orders, was on the shuttle on the ground which was attacked. She is their prisoner, and whether dead or alive we know not yet. However, if she is alive, and after Laira is found I will call upon your expertise in helping extract my daughter.”

To the naked eye the shield seemed to be resisting, but appearances were deceptive. The generator had not been this stressed in its centuries of life. Already it was starting to heat up, circuits were starting to fry. If Firemane simply waited they could overcome it by sheer thermal exhaustion.
Firemane were not content to wait though. Rather the Fulminatus Corvette Rend had positioned itself in the upper atmosphere and now unleashed a volley or torpedoes down at the shield umbrella.
These magpulse weapons impacted, starting a chain reaction of overloads which would disable it for just a few seconds. A few seconds would be all that were needed.

Jazan Jai Khalal, despite her origins in faraway Tygara, had taken swiftly to piloting. The Force helped of course, but there was something relentless and indomitable about the Qadiri which made her an excellent pilot.
“Mirage Squadron, tighten up, shields double front, tulwar formation.” She spoke in Zandri, the language of her people as it proved as effective a cipher as any code. Her squadron were all like her, daughters of the sea now graduated to space.
As the shield rent apart Jazan grinned.
“Squadron target and…launch! Break off, I’ll finish up here.”
A volley of 14 missiles launched, but Jazan held hers in, passing through the shimmering shield envelope just as it resealed she fired her concussion missiles and then activated her booster jets. Some AA fire slashed into where she had been as the missiles of her squadron hit home. Direct hits.

FSOQBEHx4GN_ZNjBpsneYCpc1NrwZCKfZdz_tlq-iME.gif

With a cataclysmic explosion the shield generator detonated, levelling part of the Jedi Temple and a block around it. As Jazan accelerated back into the air she contemptuously blasted the AA battery.
“Command, the shield is down. Repeat, the shield is down.”

Back on the bridge Tegaea nodded. “Target Harbingers on the Temple. Raze it to the ground.”

Meanwhile, the radiation spike was intense in three specific areas of the city. Seemingly innocent places betrayed a spike in gamma radiation which was hundreds of times higher than it should be. Leonina observed and gave the verdict.
“Nukes,” she said, looking to Nyssa.
As Nyssa would see though they were starting to move….

There was a tremendous explosion. It was like the sound of thunder, except much louder. The Temple grounds shook, then a good portion of the roof was torn asunder and caved in. "By the Force...," the Grandmaster gasped. As rubble rained down, he seemed frozen in time for a moment. Raising his arms to the heavens in defiance, the Grand Inquisitor drew upon the Force to shield them.

"Grandmaster, we must get you to safety," one of his praetorian guardsmen urged him. Quickly, he was led out of the collapsing council chambers. The ground continued to tremble, part of the building caved in and one could hear wails from those who had been buried under rubble.

"You assured me the shield would hold?! And now look at the Sith have done to our holiest temple? Is the Inquisition tainted as well? Have you forsaken us?" the Grandmaster demanded once they had passed through an underground passageway and reached the command bunker. Made of alchemised metals and Phrik that had been cannibalised by an ancient warship, it could withstand a bombardment.

The Grand Inquisitor's palms were sweating. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see that the hands of the praetorians had gone to their Force imbued halberds or swords. A wrong could easily see all his ambitions undone. There had to be a way out of this crisis. One that would result in his ascent. "No, Grandmaster, I am loyal to the Light. The Sith are even more devious than I imagined. Master Airla must have been collaborating with them for years and sabotaged our shield. And who, might I ask, put her in her position? Battlemaster Mahtara. Who did her best to isolate you from the council and keep you from exercising your duties as Grandmaster."

The Grandmaster's eyes flashed. "Yes...she wanted me to be a mere puppet. A pretty ornament on the throne that passes out alms and gives speeches while she rules the Dominion. She has been running it into the ground with her 'pragmatism'. Grand Inquisitor, redeem yourself." They had reached the command room. "It is time to strike."

"Grandmaster, command me and I shall follow," the Grand Inquisitor Antonius declared, doing his best to mask his evident relief. However, he could not fully banish the feeling of dread inside his heart. His stomach twisted in a knot, he went to a communicator to pass on the commands.

xxx

Back on the Scarlet Destiny, Firemane crew members cheered when the shield blew up. Nyssa did not join the merrymaking though. Instead her eyes were glued the screen. Her eyes followed the moving radiation scans. The nukes were on the move. To three different sectors that would allow them to...She checked the coordinates.

"They're targeting our ships in orbit. Someone tell Commander Khalal they're about to launch."

"Fools, three nuclear warheads are no threat to our shields. These primitives stand no chance. Let them fire them. When it does nothing, they'll know they stand no chance," one Firemane officer opined.

"I'm sure the Emperor said the same on Endor. And the Rakatan before my people slaughtered them and drank their bloodsoup. If you're that stupid, you honestly deserve to be gutted," Nyssa spat contemptuously.

"How dare you? You're just another murderous Sith who avoided the noose because you're banging the boss' daughter," the officer snapped. He got a forearm to the nose.

"Cease now. Or I will have both of you stripped of rank and flogged. Vykaris, stand down," Leonina interjected sharply. "Pass the message on. And alert Lady Alcori."

xxx

Battlemaster Mahtara and his Inquisition minder Gabriel were well outside the Temple when part ot if was levelled. Outside chaos had broken out. Civilians rushed to the shelters, soldiers and ambulances raced towards the temple. AA batteries tried to put the retreating Firemane fighters under fire. Even Mahtara, who had anticipated all this, was awed by the power of the bombardment.

"By the Light...,"Gabriel was momentarily lost for words, so great was his shock.

"I am confident our Grandmaster has survived," Mahtara declared. "I would have felt his passing. Nonetheless, send someone to investigate."

"These Sith are barbarians." Gabriel had managed to regain his bearings by the time they reached the speeder. "After you, Battlemaster. We must get you straight to headquarters to organise a counterattack. The invaders will feel the hammers of the light."

"Hmm, yes," the Battlemaster muttered. Something did not feel quite right. "Why don't you get in first?"

"Sir..."

"Now don't stand on parade, boy. The Dominion is a war. At war with the Darkness."

"Uh, yes...," Gabriel looked nervous and shifty. He approached the vehicle, then suddenly produced a concealed holdout slugthrower. Only for his hand to be severed at the wrist by a lightsabre - one of the very few on Tephrike - as the Yodaling moved with blinding speed. Gabriel cried out in pain, clutching the stump of his hand.

"Let me guess, a speeder bomb. Placed by 'Sith terrorists'," the Battlemaster said contemptuously, then slashed. The explosives, activated by a mental command, activated as her sabre pierced Gabriel's throat. The explosion ripped the speeder apart. Having kept some distance, Mahtara could run, but she was still scorched by hot shards of shrapnel. The Force wrapped itself around her to shield her from the worst of the blast wave as it expanded. As she regained her bearings, a sniper shot rang out. She ducked, but the shot struck her in the arm. Pain shot through her, suppressed by well-honed Crucitorm. As she quickly moved away from the wreckage of the speeder, another shot barely missed her.

Hiding behind some rubble, she peeked out, following the strands of the Force. Quickly putting her head down, she concentrated on the Force, manifesting a deceptively realistic doppelganger. The faux Yodaling moved out of cover - and was shot. She kept the illusion realistic enough for it to seemingly keel over. Then the apparition flickered. In the same moment the sniper realised his mistake, Mahtara hurled a mental lance straight into her mind. Quickly the Battlemaster moved away from the scene, nursing the wound in her arm. "This is Princicpal. Come in, Razor One. What is your status? Has Titan been taken?" she spoke quietly into her commlink.

xxx

gallery-1492454385-gettyimages-669024730.jpg

Commander Kaden was a patriot. He had been raised to believe in and fight for the Dominion. He had nine brothers and sisters. All made from the same genetic stock, all born in the same birthing pod. Two of them had been assigned to the Hammer of Light launchers, occupying the same position as he. It was a position of great responsibility, awe-inspiring power and dread.

His template was the famous Commander Michael, the man who had commanded the bomber that dropped a terrible weapon of the Light on the legions of darkness, devastating Palmyra. A weapon very similar to the one that was used for the warhead of the nuclear launcher he was now in charge of. Kaden had been taught to idolise this man, understanding that one day he might have to follow in his footsteps. His stomach was twisted in a knot. He had seen images of Palmyra. He had even visited the outskirts to familiarise himself with the destructive potential of the weapon. A place utterly devoid of sentient life, inhabited by the tormented souls of those who had died. Some pure, many impure. He had secretly questioned the righteousness of the act.

"Transmission has been verified, sir." The missile would be launched from a heavy-duty truck, planted on hydraulic jacks.

For the first time, Kaden hesitated.

"Sir?"

"Are we sure it's from the Grandmaster? Double check."

The minion obliged. "Dead certain, sir. Comms traffic indicates the Sith are bombing the city."

The barbarians! "Input target coordinates."

"Ready." The front cone fell away in preparation for firing.

In that moment he heard sounds of gunfire and screams of pain. Some of the clone troopers suddenly turned on their comrades. Shots were exchanged, hand grenades thrown, fierce melee with bayonets and knives ensued. "Sir...," a minion urged him. Now he understood. Radar showed that the other sites were under attack. His siblings were under fire because he hesitated. In the moment before a sniper shot pierced his stomach, he carried out his task.

As the light left his eyes and everything went dark, he saw the missile rise into the sky and ascend. What the Sith invaders would not realise that this was no ordinary nuke. The finest alchemists of the Dominion had laboured day and night to construct this thaumaturgical weapon, for it was loaded with a Purifier warhead. Upon impact, it would devour the souls of all those within the blast area. The bomb's effects would be further mangified by consuming all Force energy in the area, amplifying the reaction even further and expanding the blast even further. All the souls consumed by it would not become one with the Force.

xxx

After some delay, the Battlemaster Mahtara would receive a response. "Razor here, Titan One and Two neutralised. They are being evacuated right now. Three and Four were launched. Repeat, Three and Four were launched." When he looked to the sky, he would see two nuclear missiles with Purifier warheads surge towards the void of space...

xxx

Elpsis had lost track of time. Was it morning or still night? It was dark either way. She had not slept. The shackles, her painful position, the rats and the omnipresent propaganda droning out of the loudspeaker kept her from sleep. Her body was in pain and she was covered with bite and scratch marks. At some point, the loudspeaker had fallen silent. Then the cell door swung open. Two burly guards marched in. They undid her shackles and forced her to get up. Jedi Diona stood outside, impassive as ever. Elpsis was dragged out of the cell and led to another chamber. She sniffed, realising how badly she smelt.

Evidently the guards had the same idea. One of them prepared a hose, the other forced her to strip, discarding her blood-stained, soiled uniform. Then she was bombarded with cool, icy water. She shivered from the cold. "Geez...do you want me to join your cult or slowly kill me?" she could not resist asking rhetorically in her most irreverent tone, though she got no response.

After she had been washed and roughly dried with a towel, she was given prisoner clothes she was sure had dried blood on them. As she slipped them on, she felt something metallic brush against her skin. Probably a tracking device. Shortly thereafter, she was dragged into another room and made to sit down. Jedi Diona appeared and sat down opposite her, carrying a bowl filled with gruel.

"Jedi Diona, right?" Elpsis asked rhetorically. "I guess you're a clone too, huh? Do you guys have flash training? Does it tell you this is what Jedi Younglings do when they grow up? Real champion of the Light stuff. Shooting at diplomats, torturing folks." She got an electrical shock. Her fingers burnt. Ouch. "Yes, that's what guardians of peace and justice do. I used to be a Jedi. Left them because they were dicks. But even at their worst, they weren't this bad." The guard struck her again, amplifying the voltage this time. She shook.

"Do you want to eat?" Jedi Diona demanded coldly.

Elpsis nursed the spot where she had been struck. "Yeah," she said hesitantly.

The Jedi placed the bowel on the table. "Recite the Jedi Code."

"Which one? You do realis that your code ain't the real one?" She cried out in pain when the guard struck her a thirdt time.

"Stop," Diona snapped.

"She is spouting blasphemies, Master Jedi," the guard retorted. He got a death glare in response. It made him back away a bit.

"You will recite the Code, otherwise you will not be allowed to eat."

Goddess, she was hungry. Vesta, can you hear me? Are you there? But there was no response. The Heavenly Mother did not heed her. "There...there is no emotion, there is...," she stumbled.

"'Calm'. Start again."

"There is no emotion...there is calm." Each word that left her lips felt like a betrayal. "There is no ignorance, there is...knowledge."

She was certain she felt a flicker inside Diona's soul. A moment of...doubt. The collar did not allow her to continue this train of thought. The pain compelled her not to use the Force. "No. There is no ignorance, there is obedience. Again."

"There is no emotion, there is calm. There is no ignorance, there is obedience. T-there is no p-passion, there serenity. There is no chaos, there is o-order. There is no death, there is the F-Force."

"There is no death, there is the Light. Again."

She breathed in heavily. "There is emotion, there is c-calm. There is no ignorance, there is obedience. There is no p-passion, there is no serenity. There is no chaos, there is order. There is no d-death, there is t-the Light." Finally Diona relented and pushed the bowl over to her. It contained unappetisig gruel. Undoubtedly it was drugged. Nonetheless, Elpsis could not keep herself from devouring it. No one had given her a fork or a spoon, so she ate with her fingers. She was also given a glass of water. Her hands were shaking so badly that the glass fell out of her hands, but Diona caught it with the Force and put it back on the table, ere it could hit the ground and shatter.

Elpsis' meal was over all too soon and she was led out of the building. The clap of thunder could be heard in the distance. Here and there lightning slashed from the sky. Moreover, it was pouring. She needed help to keep herself from slipping. The guards led her away from the barracks, past watchtowers to what turned out to be a mine. Elpsis was unable to read it, but there was a sign in front of the complex. Words had been written on it: Work Redeems You. She was led deep beneath the earth until she was insdie the heart of the mine.

Here various prisoners were labouring. "Cotan Soldier," Diona spoke, alerting one of the guards who was overseeing a bunch of labourers. Quickly he came to her. "Prisoner Elpsis. One of the Sith we captured. She's part of your crew now. Severe regime," she spoke flatly. Elpsis could hear primitive tools being applied to extract ore.

"One of the Sithlings, huh? Roger, ma'am. What's up with her eyes?"

"I'm blind," Elpsis unexpectedly spoke up. "Can't see withou the Force. This collar hurts when I try to see."

"Well, then I guess you'll have to work through it," the guard said dismissively. "Come on, girl. Don't worry, ma'am. I'll work her hard."

"The Inquisition is very interested in her," Diona stressed just before Elpsis was led away. "She is very valuable."

"Understood." And so Elpsis was given a quota, some basic instructions and primitive tools and led to a column of labourers.

"Maggots, you got a new friend!" the guard bellowed. "A vile Sith who murdered brave Jedi. But now she's going to be reforged into a productive servant of the Light, just like you. Prisoner, get to work! No slacking. Don't stop without my say so." He gave Elpsis a push, causing her almost to fall. She held her pickaxe in hand, looking very awkward.

"New girl, huh? What did they catch you for?" a prisoner asked. She was a Mirialan.

"I'm, uh, not from here. Came from another world. To help. Got shot at. Fought these arseholes and got locked up."

The green skinned woman was sceptical. "Another world? No such thing. Everyone's dead. It's just this hellhole."

"Mel, don't be daft," a masculine voice interjected. It came from a tall, scarred Zabrak. "You heard the news. 'Sith aliens' from outer space are fighting the Dominion."

"And until two days ago they said there's nothing but demons and ghosts outside there. If you ask me, the government is just making things up."

"It's true," Elpsis insisted. "Not the space demons part or the Sith part. I'm really from another planet. But I'm no Sith."

"You either really believe it or they've given you too many drugs," Mel said thoughtfully. "Word of advice, girl, keep your head down. If they see you're not playing along, they'll do things to you. Horrible things."

The soldier from earlier went on his rounds, scrutinising them critically and exhorting them to double their efforts with inspiring slogans. "Faster! Faster!" he bellowed, waving the horse whip that was usually attached to his belt. "Haven't you Sith heard of Stakhanov?!" One prisoners seemed to be faltering and the guard cracked the whip. The weapon missed him, which probably was deliberate, but struck the wall.

"You think this is harsh life you lead? Back when I was a wee lad, I had to get up every morning and work for fifteen hours in your mines! If we didn't deliver your ore, you Sith had your goons beat us! One day, the mines caved in and you abandoned us. I was so used to the dark that when I finally crawled out and saw the light it was nothing to me but blinding!"

"Back to work. We can cover for you a bit, girl. But not much. Name's Harald, by the way," the Zabrak stated, giving Elpsis a look. "Blind, right? Don't push too hard. If you do it all in one burst, the collar triggers and you get a headache from hell. Slow, controlled. Just enough that you know where you're swinging the axe."

"Like not anywhere near my head," Mel added sardonically, though not unkindly.

Elpsis grit her teeth, raising the tool. She tried to focus, perceiving the hard rock. Pain shot through her and the axe almost fell out of her hand. She took a deep breath, and tried again, striking at the hard rock, freeing some ore and then scooping it up with her shovel, thrusting it into the wheelbarrow. Her stomach growled, voicing its protest at the unsatisfying meal, her arms hurt. When the guard passed her and looked into the amount of coal she had broken free so far, she felt tempted to spin and slam the axe into his face, so hard that his brains would be splattered across the ground, excruciating pain be damned. But that would just be exactly what they wanted and give them an excuse to make an example of her to encourage the others.

Of Course, ma’am.” Kira said, turning back to look at the firemaned Commander. “I understand.” So the Fire Princess was captured, Laira was MIA, and the adults were left to try and save them both. “If I’m being honest, I’m much less a military woman and much more a terrorist.” Kira stated bluntly. “I didn’t go to any training facility or anything. Everything I learned, I learned being a rebel in the Tingel Arm.

If you are willing, me squad and I can go planetside after they’ve all been accounted for and given a decent rest, and we can do what we do. We can fight these people and do our best to find your daughter. I just want you to know, that once I step foot on that world, I don’t care about ethics. I care about surviving, keeping mine alive, and saving our people trapped there. Everything else is secondary.” Her face remained stern and hard, too much time spent watching good people die in such a short life. "If you can't live with that, with no offense meant, I don't want to risk anymore of my people. I'll let them volunteer, but I won't order them."

~

Grey eyes peered through the fog, the smoke, and the blood from the cut above her eye. The man before her stood, his eyes glazing over even as his arms moved to clutch the wound where her lightsaber bore through his chest. Light from the silver blade could be seen from his mouth. Laira deactivated the blade, all of her soul wanted to reach out and take the man’s hand, provide him some final comfort right before his passing but she could not bring herself to move. He had been an innocent in all of this, she felt no malice or hatred from him. Just a sense of duty. Is this what it is to be a Jedi?

He slumped to the ground with an audible gasp. Boots squelched in mud rushing towards her, but the militia stood in shock, their champion slain. The dark figure shoved the Jedi aside and grabbed her by the shoulders, hauling Laira to her feet, almost throwing her back across the barricade. Instinctively Laira looked back to the Jedi’s body to find it gone, just a pile of robes and armor in the mud and rain. At least she could console herself with the knowledge that despite all the evils of the Dominion there were those among them pure of heart and soul, and that this one had found peace among the Force. She fell to the mud next to the starfighter among her friends, her hair falling into the mud as she landed.

A second later the Dominion Militia snapped out of their shock. Laira half expected to feel a sadness pass over them, but her senses filled with overwhelming rage. A moment’s peace is what she bought her friends, a single moment’s passing, and now their death was getting back on schedule. Leo was grabbed as he pulled himself over the makeshift barricade, several troopers trying to grab him as they rushed the barricade. Even though Laira could still move, her left hand felt like it was burning, her blood dripped into the mud at her feat. Once more the Lightsaber flashed, but the fear of it was gone now. What had been an ancient and revered weapon to the Dominion a moment before was now the object of their disdain, the tool used for evil to destroy their champion Jedi Knight.

Laira helped Gel pull Leo back across the barricade, taking a round in the shoulder for her trouble. She was too busy slashing at nearby troopers to worry about blocking or dodging every slugthrower round. In truth the redhead hadn’t even thought to act defensively, her instincts still driving her to protect her friends and not concern herself with her own safety. “Get down Laira.” Cix kicked her in the back of the knee, dropping the redhead to the ground. “Take cover. Think.” His voice was hoarse, but calm radiated from him. Not consigned to die, but prepared to do so. Willing to do so. “You all need to crawl under the fighter and make a run for it. I can’t run, so I’ll give you guys a few seconds to get into the jungle.” Cix was right of course, but unfortunately none of them had an opening to run anymore. Maybe if they had left Laira while she was fighting the Jedi the other three could have made it, but now it was impossible.

Leo was slashing at Dominion militia, crimson blaster bolts seared through the air, leaving tracks of fire and burnt metal across the starfighter’s hull. Even if they did escape the surge, they’d be cut down by the blaster weapon set up to their flank. Naya grunted, kicking a trooper who had fallen over the barricade grasping for the Qadiri, bleeding from a wound and still doing all he could to defeat his foes.

An explosion erupted from where the blaster weapon was situated, precise fire cut at the closest Dominion forces. Laira looked up to see a form thud against the Hull of the Starfighter, “RUN!” emerged from the translucent outline and the head of an Yuuzhan vong appeared floating in thin air. Gel didn’t need another suggestion, diving under the starfighter, crawling as fast as his arms and legs could push and pull him through the mud. Before he was even to his feet his body was already driving him into a full sprint into the jungle. Naya followed, grabbing Laira by the collar to haul the wounded redhead with her. Leo was the last to leave, stopping alongside Cix just long enough for the two to exchange words and leave the wounded Death Trooper one of the pilfered carbines.

Stuttered fire cut through the air, the floating Yuuzhan Vong head disappeared, but the outline sprinted after the quartet of survivors towards the jungle. Laira ran alongside Naya, looking over her shoulder, “What about Cix, we might be able to cover him from the woodline.

Move!” Naya howled, hauling on the Princess’s collar strongly.

But we can’t just-” The Starfighter detonated, its fuel chemicals and reactor fluids scattering up into the air just behind a shockwave that blasted the survivors and their vong savior to their feet. All the air rushed from Laira’s lungs and her head struck a fallen log, causing the gash above her eye to reopen. Fire rained from the sky as pieces of the wreckage fell after being propelled by the force of the explosion, the chemicals and fluids falling amidst the rain. If any of them had geiger counters they could have detected the residual radiation from the reactor falling around them. Once more the Vong head appeared, the Cloak of Nuun peeling back from her face, “Run, we must go. This way.” The Vong female’s torso and arms appeared as she gestured for them to follow her off.

~

“Ma’am,” The Firemane officer said, pointing at the screen. “Could that be some of ours.” The figures on the screen were crouched alongside one of the crash sites, in the middle of a prolonged fire fight with Dominion Forces.

Yes, looks like our people. Stalgis, coordinates sent. How long until you make it.” Kira rasped into her comlink. Her people were under fire and she needed to get them before anything worse happened.

Five minutes.” The response came, the U-Wing, its complement of Death Troopers and Galactic Alliance Guardsmen was already in the air running in stealth mode, waiting for the call with coordinates on where to go.

Be advised, it looks like fifty or so locals are engaging them in a light fight.” Kira watched the screen, watching the Dominion break from their cover and surge forward, “Hit the gas gentlemen.” No response bothered coming. Stalgis knew what it meant, he understood the urgency of the situation. Kira proceeded to watch Laira’s short duel and the following hasty retreat, the entire time muttering to herself. The explosion rocked the drone but it stayed in the air. “Don’t run, don’t run, don’t run.” She kept whispering even as they disappeared into the jungles.

Stalgis, report?

We can see smoke from the crash site. Coming up on it in T-Minus two minutes.

Our people just escaped into the jungle. One of them stayed behind and blew the munitions from the wreckage. Get to the surface, do a full sweep of the area and account for as many as possible. Then see if you can track them down.

Acknowledged Control.” Solemn voices to match somber moods.

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One

“I understand, Captain. When I find where Elpsis is being held I will not be feeling merciful to her captors. I wish to spare collateral damage to other prisoners, but ultimately Elpsis is more important as she could be used as a ransom tool.”

“Ma’am, we have launches from the surface!”
Tegaea turned to see two missiles rising with incredible speed towards them. One was heading for the Rend, the other to the Scarlet Destiny itself.
“Get the point defence guns operating!” Vyron called urgently.
The Rend unfortunately had not expected such an onslaught and was relatively poorly provisioned with defence guns. What it did have tried to track the small missile…but too late. It impacted the side of the corvette.
Normally, even the corvette might have survived such a blast from a traditional nuclear weapon, as the shields and armour protected against such weapons. However this time something strange happened.

As the Purifier impacted there was a blast, the flare of the shields as they were overloaded, but the ship seemed like it had been wounded but was not destroyed. However, as the explosion hit simultaneously every single Force user on the bridge, and probably the rest of the ship, maybe even beyond, were assailed with a terrible, searing pain in their head and the intense feeling of death. Even those without the Force like Tegaea felt a cold sensation, a feeling of gloom and distant sensations of death.

The Rend though started to fall. Attempts by the crew on the Scarlet Destiny to contact them reached nothing but static. Like a dragon pierced through the heart the ship lost altitude, slamming into the outskirts of Nexus city with a tremendous explosion as the remaining warheads inside detonated violently.

Tegaea watched for only a second before snapping back to attention. The other missile was still incoming, and if it had created that psychic storm at hundreds of kilometres distant she didn’t want to think what it would do with a direct hit.
“Target all weapons and blow that thing out of the sky!” Vyron ordered.
“Belay that! We don’t want to set it off.” Tegaea thought quickly. “Commander Khalil, come in. I have a job for you.”
Fortunately the Qadiri had been far enough from the blast to have been unaffected bar a brief flash of pain. However, she had seen what might happen.
“Mirage Leader reporting, ma’am.”
“Bring in your squadron. Do not destroy the missile, instead use your ships’ tractor beams to slow it down so we can safely disengage it into space. Preferably the sun.”
“Ma’am…what if it has an automatic time fuse?” the Qadiri asked, but she was already swinging her ship around.
“Then it goes off the same as if I shot it right now. There’s a good chance it won’t though. Get on it.”
With that not especially ringing endorsement in her pointed ears, Jazan gave her orders.
“Squadron, we move in and use your tractor beams to pull it off course. Mirage Three, I’m counting on you to stabilise it away from the Destiny. Mirage Four, keep close to her and make sure you hold it steady. Mirage 2, fly ahead and blast anything out of the path like debris or junk. I’ll go directly behind and hold it. Rest of you, form X formation and assist Amaya and Farhad.”
It would be a delicate operation, but Mirage Squadron had an advantage. Through the Force they could co-ordinate their actions better than any regular squadron, especially for something so complex.

Tegaea watched the missile coming closer, taking a deep breath as it started to turn, turn, turn…slowly. Too slowly?

And then, suddenly, it was gone, missing by only a few hundred metres – a tiny space at the speeds and distance they were dealing with, the missile continued into space.

“Ma’am, can report we have taken out the trash,” Jazan said proudly.
“Good work, Commander. Set it on course for the sun and report back. Any losses?”
“My paint got a bit cooked by the exhaust but no damage, ma’am, we will be back soon.”

Tegaea could finally relax from the imminent fear of death to contemplate the tracking of the parties below.
“Send the drone to follow as best you can and try and shadow them.”

Under normal circumstances, the corvette would have stood a chance to survive the blast of a nuclear weapon. The Rend might have been at risk, but the Scarlet Destiny would have been safe. However, this was not a common thermonuclear weapon. It was something...different. The psychic wave caused by the detonation was so powerful that it brought Leonina to her knees. She felt a terrible disturbance in the Force, as if countless lives suddenly cried out in agony, before being extinguished forever. As a matter of fact, their fate was even worse than death. For she felt their souls being consumed, rather than passing on into the Living Force.

In their moments of agony, their very life force fed the thaumaturgical energy that had been unleashed. The Rend descended towards the planet at uncontrollable speed, creating a huge fireball that could be seen for miles away. Fortunately, the Destiny's crew was spared this horrid fate. Discipline, training and determination took over and Leonina steeled herself.

"What the hell was that?" the officer who just moments ago had dismissed the primitives exclaimed.

"The primitives striking back. Consider it a lesson," Nyssa said caustically. "A poor man's thought bomb on a nuke, not bad," she added.

"Those bastards killed everyone on the Rend. We'll make them pay!" another Firemane officer declared angrily.

The Cathar paid them no mind. Her attention was elsewhere. "Two missiles," Leonina muttered. "In how many sectors did you detect radiation spikes?" she asked - or rather demanded. Her commanding voice cut through the declarations of shock and outrage like a hot knife through butter.

"Four, ma'am."

"Maybe they had technical issues," one officer offered.

"What are the sensors showing? Look for any indicators of radiation - and movement."

"On it, ma'am. The dukes are moving away from the city." Little did Firemane know that Nexus City had an extensive tunnel network. Some of these tunnels were only known to select members of the Dominion high command. They had been designed to withstand bombardment, just in case. Getting a read on the mobile nuclear launchers would be difficult. Spells cast by long-dead illusionists did their part in that regard.

"Keep tracing them. These people are fanatical and will stop at nothing to defeat us. Do not underestimate them," Leonina addressed the crew then headed towards where Tegaea and Kira had been conversing on the bridge. She did not bother with a salute or other pleasantries.

"Director, the nuke was infused by the Force in some manner. Comparable in effect to the weapon that devastated Ruusan millennia ago." Leonina was no Consular or scholar, so she did not subject Tegaea to a lecture about space magic. "It doesn't need to get past our shields to kill us. And we have reason to assume that the enemy has at least two more of these missile in play," she reported in a clipped, professional tone. There was also the unspoken possibility that the Dominion could have Force bombs with a lower range and smaller yield that could be deployed more easily.

"The fallout levels show they're not shy about using them on their own planet. I don't know why they only launched two, but they know now that their weapons can destroy our ships. We must locate and neutralise them." It was probably not the news her boss wanted to hear, but she had to do her duty. Mindless cadaver obedience was not for her.

xxx

Nexus City was lacking in many amenities the people of the Core Worlds and even many Rim planets took for granted. However, the Dominion had made sure that every household was the holovision. Of course, the denizens of the Dominion could not access whatever they wanted. The Dominion was a régime that cared for its citizens from the moment they crawled out of their birthing pods to the day they became one with the Force. Thus each citizen had a channel dedicated specifically to their section and job, keeping them informed about the Windian Jedi Order's vision, the Dominion's victories and how utterly dark and depraved the rest of the world was outside of the Dominion's guiding light.

Thus it came to pass that, in spite of occasional power fluctuations, most citizens of Nexus City would be able to listen to the Grandmaster's broadcast. Things would get dicey the further one got from the capital. Alas, there were villages that were nominally under Dominion control, but which had yet to be brought fully into its caring embrace.

"People of the Dominion, sons and daughters of the Light, on this day the prophecies of our forbears have come to pass. When the Great Darkness descended upon the Galaxy, the wise masters built this glorious Dominion to serve as a bastion of righteousness," he proclaimed in his grave voice. "We toiled, we fought, we suffered. Again and again we stemmed the tide of darkness. The ancient Jedi sages warned us that one day the legions of evil, the authors of the great horrors that befell the Galaxy, would descend upon our world to lay waste to the last pillar of light. That day has come. But we are not afraid."

"Sith warships have darkened the sky of our world. Aboard, a myriad abominations, temptresses and monsters beyond imagination. While claiming to come in peace, they launched an unprovoked assault on our brave pilots. Not content with spilling the blood of the righteous, they bombarded our city, targeting innocent Younglings. To aid their depraved endeavours, they enlisted a cabal of traitors in our midst. But their perfidy cannot overcome the Light."

"Just a few moments ago, our brave forces retaliated. Not in vengeance or wanton bloodlust, but in defence of civilisation. The hammer of light has been unleashed. Their mightiest warship has burnt away in orbit. The forces of darkness have reaped what they have sown. Darkness has risen, and Light shall meet it. This is the hour of the final struggle. I call upon every citizen of the Dominion to take up arms against these abominations. Nexus City will never fall. The Dominion will never surrender and the Light will prevail."

Grand Inquisitor Antonius was one of those who stood in the background while the Grandmaster addressed his flock. Almost unnoticed, one of his minions approached the overlord of the religious police. "Master," he said quietly, "we have a problem..."

xxx

The reeducation camp was many miles away from the capital. It had taken a while for word detonation of the Rend to reach the garrison. However, once they learned of it, several of the soldiers cheered, feeling that a great blow had been struck against the invaders.

"The Force is with the righteous," one female Jedi declared. Her features were identical with those of Diona, though she had fewer scars. "Maybe now the Sith will reflect on their wickedness and return to the abyss from whence they came instead of bringing more war to our people." It was not empty rhetoric, she honestly believed it.

"There are a lot more ships up there than that one." Diona reminded her sourly. "Intensify the patrols." She could not help but think that the storm had only just begun.

xxx

The poor unfortunate sous who laboured deep in the mines did not get to see the corvette fall from the sky. Elpsis had other concerns. Such as not arousing her captors' ire or collapsing from exhaustion. She was tired, sweaty and in pain.

See by using flashes of your power, not a whole burst, she reminded herself. She managed to a degree. Yet she often slipped up, and inevitably electricity crawled across her body, causing her to shake in pain. Yet if she kept her use carefully measured, those shocks were less nasty than usual.

She took a deep breath, sucking air into her lungs when she managed to drop off some ore into her wheelbarrow. What was the point of all this? There was no way that this form of slave labour could be efficient. Did the Jedi want their prisoners to keel over dead? Or did they expect them to come crawling to them, begging for a chance to 'redeem' themselves to escape their lot?

At least she was no longer alone. "So...what landed you two here?" she asked, keeping her voice low to avoid alerting the guards. Earlier, she had learned the hard way that talking loudly was rewarded with a whip. She bore the marks on her back.

"Grew up in neutral territory. Smuggled. Hid my powers because I could do something better than goose-step. Jedi locked me up because 'using the Force for selfish reasons is the path to the dark side'," Mel responded with a trace of bitterness.

"Took the Code too seriously," Harald said. "Then I was a heretic. It helped that my template was revealed to be one, too. Funny how that happens."

"These people are sick. Never been keen on Jedi, but these guys make the worst look like saints," Elpsis muttered. "Is there no one fighting them? Other than Vong and Vader fanatics."

"You want to play revolution? Forget it," Mel said with surprising harshness.

"Mel," Harald started, but she cut him off.

"Idle chatter like that gets people killed. Or, worse, 'enlightened'."

"Look, my mother's out there in space. We...she has a powerful fleet. They'll want payback and won't let the Dominion go without a beating. We can help you."

"You mean, assuming you're not running your mouth armadas in space because you hit your head, they'll come looking for you and not care about us." Harald was about to interject but she raised her hand. "Hope all you want. There's two ways you get out of here: in a bodybag or as a robot. There's just this world we live in: built on bloodd, bones and pain." Having made her point, she focused on work, mindful of the watchful eyes of the guards.

"Don't mind, Mel. She's had it hard," Harald said apologetically.

"I'm sorry. I did not mean to upset you. Or be patronising and make light of what you've been through," Elpsis said feelingly. "But I'm telling the..." she did not get any further because she was struck by an electro-whip. Then again. She cried out in pain.

"You have a quota to fulfil, Sith," the guard barked at her. For good measure he pressed a button on his remote control. This caused the shock function of the collar to trigger. This time she shook - badly. Her body spasmed. "P-please s-stop." She could not keep herself from pleading, the pain was so intense. Finally the guard relented and the electrical shock ceased.

"To do penance for your crimes, your quota will be doubled," the guard declared. It will no doubt please you all to know that the Army of Light has won a great victory against the invaders. They were helpless against the hammers of light. Their ships are falling out of the sky. Work hard, let the Light into your heart, and it will set you free from evil."

"It's lies, all of it. Lies," Elpsis said quietly. Defiantly she got back up and went back to swinging the pickaxe. Despite the pain and the exhaustion. She would not remain caged here, waiting for someone to rescue her - or for herself to lose her mind. Just flashes of power. Like closing your eyes and reverse blinking very quickly, she reminded herself. I'm going to kill you, she swore to herself, her vacant eyes falling on the guards for a moment before she returned to hacking at ore. I'll kill the whole bloody lot of you.

Beads of sweat dripped down her face and back. It was becoming difficult to hold the pickaxe. When other workes were allowed a brief break, she was excluded from it. It did not take long for her to slip and collapse from simple strain.

Laira and the survivors followed the Yuuzhan Vong into the jungles as she moved them along in a zig-zag path. Others behind them did their best to cover their tracks and remove marks of their passing as they traveled, though Laira and Naya were both bleeding. Laira from her head and hand, Naya from her shoulder. Certainly they were leaving a decent scent trail for animals and trackers to follow, but that wasn’t of concern to the Yuuzhan Vong leading them. It seemed she was more interested on putting miles between her and the Dominion for the meantime, the ones covering their trail only doing so to keep any Dominion trackers from being able to match their pace.

Laira’s hand throbbed, feeling every iota of the pain from the deep slash through her palm that she had suffered while fighting the Jedi warrior. The bleeding hadn’t stemmed at all, mud mixed in with the wound. She was smart enough to know it would likely get infected if they didn’t stop soon and allow her to tend to it, but that wasn’t what was on her mind right now. Her grey eyes were locked onto Leo as he ran just ahead of her. The Death Trooper had just lost one of his squadmates, Cix, minutes ago and had yet to react. He didn’t feel angry, he didn’t seem like it was affecting him yet. Mission minded, that’s how he had described himself. Closing his mind off so he could focus on the task at hand, but it would it him, sooner rather than later.

The Yuuzhan Vong stopped, her eyes turned upwards. Laira did the same while the rest of them stopped sprinting to take a moment’s breather. Streaks cut from the surface of the planet into space, disappearing above the clouds. “We must hurry. The camp is not far.” The Vong called back, her accent leaking through the phrase.

Give me a minute. We have some injuries we need to treat now that we have a moment.” Naya said, taking a seat on the ground beside Laira, panting as she tried to catch her breath.

What are those?” Laira asked, nodding towards the exhaust streaks left by the missiles.

I don’t know. The Dominion has many weapons.

Surface to orbit missiles, you’d think they’d use more than a few to deal with the fleet.

Yeah, there’s-” Laira bent her head, the feeling of anguish pouring through her senses. It felt like the bombardment, but unlike a moment of fear and then silence, it was as though hundreds suffered agony and torment all at once. She winced and clutched her head with a bloody hand, pressing her temples with her fingers, as though the pressure might end the feeling of pain and suffering she sensed. A moment later the Rend split through the sky, falling to the ground.

It seems as though your friends underestimated the Dominion. Hurry, we must get back to the camp.

The four survivors nodded together, they understood what that meant. The Dominion had weapons that could destroy ships with relative ease, and they were willing to use them. “We have to get in touch with our leaders.” Naya bound Laira’s hand quickly, and then they were off again through the jungle, this time lead across harder ground in the hopes their tracks would be more difficult to find.

When we get to camp, you will talk to one of our leaders. He will decide.

~

“Ma’am, we’re having trouble finding them with the probe. The jungle is making it harder, especially with all the chemicals in the atmosphere from the explosion.” The drone operator said quietly, hoping to explain the situation before Kira snapped at him.

Fine, keep trying. Stalgis?

U-Wing is holding at five hundred meters with repel lines. Ur’dax says that it’ll be fine. Doing a sweep, finished off the Dominion troops. Mac and Dar think they can track our people down, says looks like they had some help. Handful of extra sentients we didn’t see on the probe. Over Control.

The Dominion used a ship-killer missile, and has a handful of others in their possession. Be aware.

Affirmative Control. Please advise, pursue survivors or withdraw and wait for the probe?

Kira clutched her commlink, grimacing at the probe operator who was sharing the stool with her, not out of his own desire or choice. “Return to U-Wing and ready for rapid deployment. We’ll wait to see if the probe can find them.

~

After about thirty minutes, the survivors were lead into a cave by the Yuuzhan Vong were they found a handful of other revolutionaries waiting and a labyrinth of short tunnels dug beneath a granite mound. “You all need to wait here. And you, jeedai,” the Yuuzhan Vong and the others all glowered at the redhead ranger. “You must come with us to be harnessed.

Harnessed?” Laira asked quizically. It hardly sounded like a pleasant experience.

It will be explained to you once you are subdued.” Several slugthrowers were pointed at her and her friends, and the redhead really didn’t have a choice. These people had saved them, and surely they wouldn’t have intervened only to kill them less than an hour later. It was illogical to assume they meant to kill her, but they certainly didn’t trust her.

Alright, but will it hurt.

Only when you use your curse.” They replied, taking Laira by the arm. As they did, Leo tried to insert himself between her and the Vong, only to be quickly restrained by several other revolutionaries.

Leo, calm down. I’ll be fine. Just relax.” The Death Trooper seemed to relax and allow her to be escorted away by the Vong, but he hardly seemed happy about the arrangement.

Just shout if you need us, temptress.

The Vong lead Laira into a small room, buried into the roof of which was an Embrace of Pain, something she had seen numerous times before. “Oh, I thought,” she seemed reluctant, but the Vong insisted, shoving her towards it.

It will only hurt if you resist it and use your curse.” The Embrace reached out, taking the redhead into its tendrils, wrapping around her legs, arms, and body. Laira shrieked as its tendrils squeezed her throat, thrashing lightly. Sharp searing pain spread throughout every nerve in her body, seizing the girl in agony. “Stop using your gift.” Laira felt as though the Embrace was dragging razors across her raw nerves, and then it stopped and everything became numb. A metallic collar snapped shut around her neck and the Force was dead to her senses.

What, what’d you do to me?” Laira asked, grasping at the collar.

We harnessed you, as we must with all sick beings like yourself. Now we can talk.” A Male Yuuzhan Vong stepped forward from the shadows, into the bioluminescent light emitted by the Embrace. He was holding a key in his clawed hands.

[member="Tegaea Alcori"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom