Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Populate Inquest | GA Population of Gargolyn IV

"Awe, chit! You killed him, didn't you?"

Just like that, huh?

Shifting undulations at the corners of his jaw betrayed his desire to keep his teeth-grinding clandestine. Here and there, little muscles around his visage expanded, contracted, spasmed turbulence on the canvas. All signs screamed guilt, yet the empathic space resonated a different feeling entirely. Anger? Indignation? It was something nebulous beyond specification. Dyspeptic and restrained.

"I-"

Muscles behind his lips locked up as if the sounds were impossible.
They weren't. Not in any langue, dialect, accent, or timbre. The initial stumble might as well have been him screaming a confession for every single decibel his lungs were worth. Zaavik Perl, the consummate liar, suddenly couldn't articulate a single save. Self-preservational instinct demanded he find lie, even if to only delay the inevitable.

"No, I-"

It wouldn't work.

Murderer was the last caption he wanted anyone, especially Aradia, to attach to him or his memory. Yet, there were few labels more felicitous.

"Yeah," he confessed with resigned shame, abandoning his previous effort.

"I killed him."

banner2.png

Interrogation
Justice Committee Room

"Of course," Bernard said matter-of-factly.

Despite several pairs of eyes belonging to some of the most influential beings from the Inner Core to the Colonies staring him down, Bernard kept surprisingly calm. This wasn't the first time he'd dealt with Senators, but this was his first time sitting on this side of an interrogation. Especially one of this size and importance. No amount of experience with undercity thugs and crime bosses could quite prepare someone for the elite of the elite.

"The list of suspects we had initially didn't include Knight Perl, however as more and more information about the late Senator Bastra, specifically his personal financial records, came to light his involvement became increasingly likely. The two of them had an unconventional link which eventually lead to the death of Senator Bastra at the hands of Knight Perl, who saw it fit to take justice into his own hands and take the Senator's life."

Bernard watched the Senators above him without emotion. Not in any attempt to practice the Jedi Code's most central tenant, but rather because any investigation involving Senators of this calibre meant something big could loom on the horizon. With two assassination attempts on Senators, and a history of run-ins between Jedi and the Senate, it wasn't difficult to predict that whatever this something was, it could end up jeopardizing the Jedi's relationship with the Alliance. Prudence, then, was worth its weight in gold, but it came only as a result of absolute focus.

Aerarii Tithe Aerarii Tithe , Faith Organa Faith Organa

Last edited:
Elsewhere...
Zaavik Perl Zaavik Perl

"Ah, man! Zaavik!" She complained, shoving at his shoulders again. "This isn't staying under the radar! We don't need this heat!" She made a noise of displeasure and tossed her holopad back down.

"Spill." She jammed off the new cast and turned his way. "What happened? Did anyone see you or-" Did you kill them too. She didn't know which would complicate it more.

Whichever looked worse in the GA's eyes, she guessed. She rubbed at the stress lines forming on her face. "When did you even find time to do this? We're like a two days flight away."

She gave him a look of incredulity, more miffed by the fact that he was allowed to pull hits on the GA. The topic had always been off the table for their work. Their retired work. So much for closing that can of worms and starting over.

"This complicates everything."

"This complicates everything."

Zaavik had been dreading the inevitable day this would come up. In fact, he had every intention to avoid it entirely. Once faced with it, though, there wasn't much else to do aside from take the disgrace straight to the mouth. Some warning would have been nice. Night after night of dreamtime auguries, and not single portent about this. Not that he particularly deserved any grace, but what else were omens good for?

"Not in the way you think. This wasn't recent. I-"

When did omission constitute the equivalent of a lie? A grimace manifested itself across his face. Maybe he could play it off as never having been relevant. He'd worked for the Strategic Intelligence Agency, and participated in so much war he held a menagerie of accolades and medals. No one would be surprised to hear he'd killed someone before. This wasn't any different.

Right?

"It was before." It wasn't the same. "Before Ziost," he clarified. It was warless, unjust murder. Committed by a Jedi, no less. "Long before." Around the time he was in possession of her old weapon, more specifically. It was the murder weapon, though he left out that detail as if his previous quandary about omission meant nothing.

He'd just have to hope she didn't put any of the pieces together. Especially the ones that spelled out just how different this really was.

"I always figured they'd begin to suspect after I was gone, but... I dunno. Something must have happened, and now they're probably beyond suspects and hunches."

But what exactly could have happened? Another incident?

Last edited:
Elsewhere...
Zaavik Perl Zaavik Perl

"Before..." It clicked. "My saber." He had confiscated it from her their first encounter. It was only months later she had gotten it back, and there had been something distinctly off about its energies. Understanding deflated her shoulders, her anger leaking out like air in a balloon. "Oh, Zaavik... But that was years ago." So why it would come up now was a good a mystery as any.

She chewed on her lip and stewed, falling into problem solving mode as she considered the ramifications. She couldn't help the distracting realization that ... he had been pulling this chit before he even really knew her. Allyson Locke Allyson Locke 's brutal accusation of ruining him had started to lose its sting, but all of this did not change the fact that they were trying to put a lid on this chapter.

How do you put a lid on a senate murder?

She rubbed at her face. "Well, I know the when and the how, but you haven't told me why. And who knows? Is there evidence out there we can snuff or-- Be honest with me," she implored, reading the stress in his shoulders.

"I'm on your side here."

Arlo Renard Arlo Renard

There was a moment of pause. A deep breath swept through Aeris' nose to fill her with a reassuring sense of calm before she exhaled and let the chaos in again. This would all blow over, it would all pass. Given enough time, entropy always won. Apathy was death, but there was no point in living in denial of the forces that shaped the universe.

A small bleep brought Aeris out of her mood. Kai? Wait, she was on the news? Aeris began to look around only to see one of the cameras. She mouthed a quiet "Oh."

Yes. The Jedi are under investigation for crimes we may or may have committed. As to whether or not we did in fact commit them, I do not know.

She hit send and gave the message a lingering glance before she sighed and continued writing a new message.

Not to worry though, right or wrong the Jedi will persevere. It is just a matter of public perception, words against words, nothing that matters. If we are guilty, then we have to reevaluate what we are doing as an order, and if we are innocent then we need to reevaluate how there was ever the cause to believe we did something like this.

Sent.

banner3.png

AUDIT
JUSTICE COMMITTEE ROOM // CORUSCANT

Bernard of Arca Bernard of Arca | Faith Organa Faith Organa

cFh2335.png

Tithe listened as the Marshal Captain in charge of the Alliance Marshal investigation. At intervals, he would consult a datapad on the table, as if checking the testimony against his notes. His office had been thorough in their search for every data point recorded as part of the investigation. Today was about going deeper than the official record, to uncover if the investigators had chosen to leave anything out of their final report.

“Yes, and your enquires into Knight Perl, what did they discern?” Zaavik’s flight from the Alliance had left him unable to answer for himself, leaving it to Alliance investigators to understand his motivations. “Was he previously a, ah, person of interest? Was this his first transgression in the eyes of the Marshals?”

The Vice Chancellor leaned back in his chair. He didn’t have a particular vibroaxe to grind with the Jedi. If anything, he was Jedi agnostic. The young Auteme Auteme had helped him escape Bastion and keep asylum in the Alliance. Since this, his path had not crossed that of the Jedi to any real degree, and they hadn't given him reason to question their motives. But objectively, there were clean concerns with the actions of a few during the Stygian Campaign, especially with regard to their proclivity toward violence against Senators.

Tithe forewent a further line of enquiry for the time being, giving the Member for Alderaan an opportunity to put a question to Bernard.

20210129_225626.png

01ea3b37f6e5c0a3cf64dc116ad9ad3d.gif

7BUIiLq_1.png

No one took pleasure in these proceedings, they were not wanted.

Too long had the wrongdoings been forcibly left in the dark, for too long had we turned a blind eye to the truth. They were not wanted, but now more than ever these proceedings were needed.

The holographic image of DARKCOM DARKCOM boomed into view, an elder statesman bearing the injury of his attack. He held a cane close to his chest, using it’s stability to keep himself steady he supported his stance as best he could as he joined his fellow senators in this hearing. The chamber was packed, there was no shortage of eyes to witness these inquiries into the New Jedi Order’s affairs. He hoped for the best, this would not turn into a witch-hunt he wouldn’t allow it to devolve from it’s intended purpose.

The Elder’s eyes followed the form of the Shield as she entered the chamber, the head of the New Jedi Order with the flight of Ryv Ryv (Ryv) to parts unknown after the brutal attack in his office on his chief aide. Bastra, Kiyoshi, his aide Fluree, and now himself with the latest attempt within the senate halls that had nearly taken him. His thoughts were with Auteme Auteme , she had saved his life in the rotunda that terrible day. He owed her for her courageous act, but even if she was pure of heart, her friends were not.

Justice was coming.

He watched, waited, and listened as Shoma Ike Shoma Ike began.

ChVAW7n.png

BCC99003-A189-4593-9400-F78-ABEE3-B00-F.gif

DARK LORD OF THE SITH | VOICE OF THE MAW

His cold fingers tapped against the table’s surface near Auteme Auteme as he slowly walked, brushing along it’s surface with random intervals of tap, tap, tap echoing aloud. “Look at what your victory has won you. Do they look grateful?”

His sulfuric eyes burned brightly with a passion and fiery spirit that threatened to burn out all hope within the room, he was a consumptive void, a terror concealed within the flesh of a man. No one reacted to his presence, no one could hear or see him, something was amiss. Was he an illusion? A figment of her imagination? A remnant of the ripple from Korriban?

“To make an omelet, you had to crack a few eggs. The moment they didn’t need you.. they turned on you. All your achievements have led to this..”

Tap.

“..defining.”

Tap.

“..moment.”

Tap.

“I look forward to finishing your training..”

He leaned in and whispered, “..my little Sith.”

He was suddenly gone, his image vanishing into thin air as quickly as it had appeared. In all that time, it was obvious. He had only appeared before Auteme Auteme , a connection only she had endured with the Dark Lord who had latched on like a parasite to taunt her in her most courageous hour.

New_Sith_Order_Banner_Final.png

Last edited:
Objective II: Confidant Audit
Tags: Aeris Lashiec Aeris Lashiec

Kai snorted as a bewildered looking Aeris glanced down at her datapad, then stared directly at the camera. Her messages arrived soon after.

>I can read people’s minds, and I still don’t know what’s going on here.

Well, that’s just politics. Way to state the obvious, Kai.

>It’s confusing
They’re talking about the senator who got murdered
But that happened years ago
Why didn’t they talk about it then?
Maybe if they had done something when it happened, they could have caught the guy who did it
Before he had a chance to get away and fall to the Dark Side

It probably wasn't apparent from his text messages, but Kai spoke from his own resentment. After all, he had been the victim of Jedi negligence, to a certain extent. Nor could he shake the feeling that they were all being tricked somehow, distracted, their attention directed toward something that didn't matter as much as they thought it did. But it did matter, and something needed to be done... just not like this.

banner3.png

AUDIT
JUSTICE COMMITTEE ROOM // CORUSCANT

Bernard of Arca Bernard of Arca | Aerarii Tithe Aerarii Tithe

It was like being stabbed you could feel the tip of the blade as it touched your skin, but the moment it pressed deeper the pain began and slowly spread. That's what it was like listening to Bernard of Arca talking about Jedi Perl. A Jedi devoted to law and peace to take it into his own hands and take life. How could that happen....there had to be a reason.

Jedi just don't do that...they don't...she tried to smile but felt that small grimace on her face.
"Yes" she whispered, "My apologies if you have already said, but what is the unconventional link between the Jedi and Senator Bastra?" She would have to admit to being too focused on that idea of a Jedi killing a Senator.

Maybe there was an answer in the details. Faith took up a glass of water as the words seemed to absorb all moisture from her mouth, this was not comfortable, the fact that it was necessary made it feel like a weight. The weight was bearing down on her as she waited for the answers.

if they're watching anyways

Kaigann's hologram would have been enough, but Solipsis's apparition was too much. It hadn't been long since she'd left Korriban, where the Sith'ari had escaped them; now the worst had come to pass. Kaigann still sat on the Senate as if he had not transformed into someone entirely different. And Solipsis, too, still mocked from the shadows. Auteme did not allow her eyes to wander to whatever illusion or projection Solipsis sent, but she listened carefully.

My little Sith. Information came in many forms, when one paid attention. He knew he had put her in an impossible position -- a Jedi, calling the Senator who sought their restriction a Sith? Worse, she had no evidence, only her word and the word of some far-off crusading fanatic, one who had not told them of this supposed threat before? She could not oppose him nor reveal him. So he toyed with her.

If it was a game he wanted, she'd play. He underestimated her.

She hoped.

"Thank you, Senator Ike," she said. His nervousness was apparent -- his conflicts of interest were as strong as hers, if anyone bothered to exploit them, and he was still young to be chairing such a discussion. Auteme, at least, was merely being interrogated. "I also acknowledge the importance of these hearings and this committee.

"My name is Auteme Denko-Durren, Shield of the Jedi and Knight of the New Jedi Order; I affirm that my testimony is the truth, to the best of my knowledge."

Her presence seemed to flatten. It might draw the suspicion of Shoma, but it was better to leave all her answers ambiguous than to tell him when she was lying.

"Yes, I did know Zaavik. Our Order is small, and I make sure to acquaint myself with every Jedi who calls our Temple home. We made efforts to be friends, but he was often a bit distant. Even so, the idea that he would kill a former Senator... I can't imagine that, but perhaps I did not know Zaavik well enough."

It hurt. It all hurt. Lies, and the kernels of truth.

banner3.png

BYOO | CORUSCANT | HAYATA CORP HOTEL
Beyond the edge of universe,
there's a kind of real darkness...
where even the light gone astray.
Aiko Hayata
2sYS5cK.png

TIME WILL TELL

Aiko’s words sat with her for a few seconds. The elder wasn’t false. Bloodline was everything. Legacy, honour — especially for Ashina’s. It would be worth her doing a better job maintaining it. Even if her father disapproved of her current attempts to learn from The Jedi.

~ Me either.~ Ishida admitted swiftly, placing a hand on the table top and swiping it across the surface as if the gesture was expressive enough to convey her desire for their total eradication. Then she realized they might not be saying the same thing.

Aiko’s opinion was inconclusive. Her lack of care could be because she hated evil, or because it didn’t perceive to affect her business side at all.

And the white-haired Atrisian didn’t know the woman’s core values beyond the surface layer of profit. Maybe that’s all there was, but Ishida suspected more. There had to be more to life. Even the Carp academy had taught purpose to violence.

Protection. Protection of assets. Of family. Of self. And in that, Ishida could see the Hayata dwelling.

She’d initially thought to see if the woman had heard anything through her beautiful HRDs, but the sentiment begged curiosity.

~Where are your cares these days?<

banner3.png

INTERROGATION
Justice Committe Room

"Yes, Senator Tithe. As far as I was made aware there was no previous record of Knight Perl breaking Alliance Law. Before Bastra's murder he'd largely flown under the radar as another member of the Order."

The clandestine nature of the Jedi Shadows had only further obscured the Knight's actions. Shadows kept to themselves for the most part, and only a few in the Order knew of their existence, let alone the nature of their work. Bernard didn't see it wise to expose these details for the Senate to know, however, though, he figured, the Shadow's involvement with the SIA might have clued the Senate into their existence.

"The discoveries made during the inquiries and the unconventional link actually coincide. The lack of any criminal record and his status as a member of the Jedi left us guessing as to the motive behind the murder. It wasn't obvious why a Jedi like Knight Perl might turn on the Alliance out of the blue like that. I had my suspicions but as is procedure we only work with evidence. We found that evidence as we were investigating the nature of Senator Bastra's last actions before his murder."

Bernard glanced between the Senators. A request by the highest echelons of the Marshals had expunged any mentions of these details in the official reports, citing that they would only become relevant once the evidence could be confirmed via interrogation of the primary suspect. However, given the nature of that information, Bernard had always suspected an ulterior motive behind the choice to omit its publication.

"Senators, the late Bastra had been privately involved in the funding of crime syndicates on Zeltros, which, and this detail is key to understanding Knight Perl's motive, make use of adolescents and children as armed forces," his expression was inscrutable. A brief pause settled before he continued. "After interviewing some contacts on Zeltros I came upon verbal testimony that confirmed that Knight Perl had once been one of the adolescents these crime syndicates make use of. The Knight's past with these syndicates is the connection between him and the late Senator."

Aerarii Tithe Aerarii Tithe , Faith Organa Faith Organa

Coruscant
Jedi Temple
Objective 2

The were a dark cloud that blanketed the Jedi Temple on this day. No doubt it was due to the events that transpired with the murder of Senator Bastra that that was done by Zaavik. The Jedi wondered if this was one of the individuals he was told about by Ripley. He wasn't too sure, however it was clear now more than ever that something was going on beyond their control or sight. The Jedi raised his hand to his face as he glanced at the holo screen and listened to the news that was being done by Holly Starstorm Holly Starstorm

What could be cast as one, could cast a light against all the New Jedi Order. And worse could create ripples of distrust amongst the senators, alliance member and those of the Order.

Clarity and such were needed above all during these times. Acting in rash action wasn't going to solve anything, just perhaps cause more damage. Kahne turned away from the screen as he left those Jedi that were watching the events unfold.

Kahne would have to look into this personally and see what he could figure out.

"Well, I know the when and the how, but you haven't told me why. And who knows? Is there evidence out there we can snuff or-- Be honest with me."

Why?

Was there a good answer to that? If there was, it wasn't the honest one.

Fear crept into his mind. Guilt shoved past it.

"
I thought it was justice," he blurted. Appearing to shrink, Zaavik looked diminished in the wake of the confession. Silence made the air stagnate. Words spoken and unspoken already felt like confessions of guilt rather than explanations. Zaavik finally spoke up against the wordless still, "Not so sure about that anymore, but I can't take it back." Now they felt like both.

"Old man's gone because I was stupid enough to think it'd make a difference. Thought I'd spare people from what I was brought up in. Instead it was just- just murder." Both eyes dropped to gaze as his feet. Eye-contact with anyone, let alone Aradia, felt unconquerable in that moment. Like he might go blind from the condemnation in her eyes. Why would anyone want to dignify a murderer like that, anyhow?

Fear returned. Zaavik had only ever confessed to one other person, and they had already figured him out. Not for a moment did he believe Ryv didn't harbor toward him over it. Not telling was a cover for the New Jedi as a whole, as best Zaavik could guess. Nothing more, nothing less. Aradia didn't have an organization and existence to defend by pretending not to be disgusted.

This was it wasn't it?

"I'm sure everyone knows now. It's too late for coverups," he croaked, answering what was left of the inquiry despite what he thought was coming. Pathetic. That's what he felt like now. Pathetic, meek, reprehensible. "I'm sorry I never told you, I didn't know how."

That apology was so far beyond its expiration, he could almost smell it.

banner2.png

Objective I: Confidant
Coruscant, Senate Hearing Room
Shoma Ike Shoma Ike Auteme Auteme DARKCOM DARKCOM
The man behind the inquests appeared in hologram on his position at the Senator's podium/table. Smart move. He could claim security for the reason, or recuperation from his wound sustained in the Senate Rotunda, but not attending in person allowed him freedom of movement and location. Every Senator, as she had observed so far, knew how to bounce around their transmission to keep from being traced properly, or at least they had someone on their staff that could. She understood that game; she played it enough with Braxus.

Still she was very curious about something else. Would the girl before them bring up what she saw or heard on Korriban? She was keeping her counsel, for now, but it was card that could very well be played to great effect. She still had yet to speak to Fossk, in either guise, but that time would be approaching. Then, she could gauge for herself a number of variables.

She glanced over at Senator Ike as he spoke, a carefully manicured eyebrow rising slightly at the nervousness in his voice. She would never understand Atrisians, or perhaps he was worried how it would appear when a Force user was interrogating another officially. Her glance moved to Senator Fossk. He clearly had no issues with the idea. Her gaze moved back to the Shield. She was presenting a calm front, good for the girl.

The answer to whether she knew Zaavik Perl... fingers slowly tapped on the table in front of her as she thought on it. She leaned forward so her voice would be picked up on the microphone in front of her.

"Perhaps you could help us extrapolate from your last statement, Knight Denke-Durron?" she asked. "If the New Jedi Order is small, then you would likely know perhaps what teachings or individuals he might have been in contact with where he may have begun to slide towards a more... enthusiastic and final form of justice? We all have heard the rumors and reports of some... less than noble actions taken during the Stygian Campaign, particularly on Ziost and Korriban, by some members of the New Jedi Order. Was Knight Perl an associate of such individuals?"

She didn't particularly care about the Senator that Perl had killed; she wanted to gauge how the Jedi in front of her would answer, see how she thought through the questions and what or who she might say.

I can read people’s minds, and I still don’t know what’s going on here.

It’s confusing
They’re talking about the senator who got murdered
But that happened years ago
Why didn’t they talk about it then?
Maybe if they had done something when it happened, they could have caught the guy who did it
Before he had a chance to get away and fall to the Dark Side

Aeris pulled the device out again and began to type as she went inside once more.

Yes, well, I can't read people's minds and I also don't know.

The senator's death was an unfortunate event. I am not comfortable discussing such a delicate matter on a datapad, but if you want to ask away then my doors are always open.

Just, please, try to keep it to daylight hours this time?

Aradia's brow rose skeptically as she took him in.

"... Sounds like... he deserved it?" She echoed, trying to connect his comment of justice with his overwhelming guilt. She reached out, her fingers threading through his in an attempt to get him to look at her and pull out of his stewing thoughts.

"We're soldiers, Zaavik. They raised us to kill. I don't need your list. I just need you to tell me what affects us." She sighed, her shoulders dropping as she looked back over to the black holonet.

"What do you mean spare people ? What dirt did you dig up on him? Was he Imperial? An informant?" She pried, trying all their usual target angles first.

She never in a million years could guess what the dirt actually was. Truth was, it was far worse. Her fingers squeezed his.

Last edited:
That wasn't the reaction Zaavik braced for. Validation or proclamations of what was warranted wasn't what he wanted, either. "He didn't," Zaavik contested firmly. "Bastra definitely deserved something. I might have thought so at the time, but a hot blade through the heart wasn't it." Light leaving those old eyes wasn't something he'd ever unsee. Many nights they came to visit when his dreams were at their worst. Even now he could see them, staring, guilting.

"
Remorse doesn't absolve me of anything, though. They can't indict me without a trial, I don't think, but they wouldn't all be convening about it unless there was something going on." Part of him feared another link had been added to the chain of incidents between Senator and Jedi. Ironic that he even had the capacity to worry about it anymore. "Maybe they'll try even harder to catch me, get someone from the government instead of outsourcing now that they have a better idea of why I left. Maybe they won't."

"Something else must have happened, though. Whatever it was, one way or another they also finally got me pinned as the culprit beyond just suspicion. I can feel it."

"What do you mean spare people ? What dirt did you dig up on him? Was he Imperial? An informant?"

"Cartel Benefactor," he stated. Words out of his mouth felt like falling bricks. "Ties to what I grew up in. Even knew the man I used to call 'dad' personally." That was the first time Zaavik ever mentioned Jeislan's existence to anyone aside Allyson Locke Allyson Locke . A lot of times he felt it was better if people didn't know about him at all. "I thought it'd be a head of the snake type-deal. I was an idiot. Turns out, the game's a whole damn hydra. His death meant chit in the grand scheme of it."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom