Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion Influence Cloud Control

Melia Siari

M
While I'm being side-tracked from making my posts, I figured I'd raise a suggestion to give major factions greater tools to do what is already in their right and ability to do so: adapt, change, and innovate.

A major faction can change it's name, it can change its capital hex, it can be cloud broken, that's great - but those are all single-step tools. You move your capital hex, that's it. You get your cloud broken, that's it. You change your faction name, that's it.

But where is the ability for a faction to levy consequences on itself for these changes?

Why can't a faction that is going through a civil war, or a violent revolution, turn large swathes of its territory neutral a la seceding worlds that no longer put up with your poodoo in-character/universe? And I don't mean, why doesn't staff watch factions as they do this and give them the ability to have this happen; I mean why can't a major faction post a map update request to take away territory (turn neutral) in its own hex, voluntarily, so as to visually simulate the changes the faction underwent that led to this loss of territory?

A major faction loses its capital hex and needs to relocate after being taken by another faction opposite it - why can't that major faction request to turn a portion of its cloud, the area around the capital for example purposes, neutral to make it clear that the faction has weakened due to that loss?

A big way people look at factions is by looking at the bright (and sometimes very boring) colors painted onto the map, and for better or worse sometimes the best way to get a faction (or the community in general) to become aware of the options they have (changing their identity, as an example) you need to provide them with tools that make this option more preferable than holding onto an idea that is no longer in favor with that faction's members.

I would have hesitated to suggest this before the newer map system that can be changed relatively quickly, but that era of monthly map updates and tiring changes is over.

• TL;DR: Please give major factions the option in the map update thread to turn parts of their influence cloud neutral willingly, preferably more than one hex per request but even that's better than nothing.

neat.

just food for thought though:

has any even attempted to do this? ala, a Map Update Request with an "Invasion" template whereby they label the territory they want to lose and just put in N/a for the "winning faction" field?

it is possible that what you're suggesting is already possible, but never thought to try.

something like that might also require a faction vote though tbh

loving all the suggestions today tho

I dig it yeah, territory is a slog to get as is, factions should be able to be able to do what they please it with whether it be flipping neutral or an easier way of transferring to bordering clouds (other than diplo threads all my homies hate diplo threads). Obviously the big fear is nonchalant quick and casual massive cloud mergers to bail out dying factions but regardless, theres definitely interesting narrative usage for this mechanic

Melia Siari

M
This already exists and has been done before.

Mandos circa 2016 I believe. Just posted a Map update asking for it after consulting with an admin at the time.
I remember something regarding mandalorians, but I don't recall the specifics. I do think, however, this needs to be a visible option so factions are aware of what tools they have available to them. A template for factions to fill out, etc.

I'll elaborate. Around 2015-2016 Mando Faction of the time took a vote, and decided to reduce their cloud size following a lengthy period of inactivity. The decision was made upon popular vote, and they posted a map update with the Planets (We didn't do hexes at the time) they wanted to keep.

An Admin was consulted during the voting period, and it was updated upon official request.

As far as I'm aware, its policy to allow Major Factions to send as many Hexes as they choose to Neutral upon request. Might want to take a vote so the Members know what's up and are cool with it though.

A Template wouldn't hurt, this has been asked for twice now as far as I'm aware (Admittedly more requested than Conquests and those had a template for a while) so I'm not positive it needs one at this time.

Melia Siari

giphy.gif

Ra Vizsla Ra Vizsla

Melia Siari

M
INSURRECTION

• At any point, a Major Faction may request that a maximum of 5 hexes, but no less than 3 hexes, in their influence cloud be transitioned to neutral.
  • For 7 days, starting from the approval of the request, the requested hexes may be rebelled.
  • After 7 days the requested hexes, if not rebelled by a minor faction, will be turned neutral.
  • A major faction's capital hex may not be included in the request.
  • This request may only be made once every 30 days.

INSURRECTION REQUEST
Initiating Faction: (Insert Name Here)
Name Of Hexes Initiating Faction Is Requesting: (Insert Hexes)
RPJ Assigned: (Leave this blank, an RPJ shall insert their name and the date / time when it has been approved)
RPJ Approval: (Leave this blank, an RPJ shall insert their name and the date / time when it has been approved)
Changed on Map: (Leave Blank, Admin will add name when added to map)

if the above isn't okay, then here's without the ability for rebellions to happen and it just being a straight turn to neutral process:

INSURRECTION

• At any point, a Major Faction may request that a maximum of 5 hexes, but no less than 3 hexes, in their influence cloud be transitioned to neutral.
  • A major faction's capital hex may not be included in the request.
  • This request may only be made once every 30 days.

INSURRECTION REQUEST
Initiating Faction: (Insert Name Here)
Name Of Hexes Initiating Faction Is Requesting: (Insert Hexes)
RPJ Assigned: (Leave this blank, an RPJ shall insert their name and the date / time when it has been approved)
RPJ Approval: (Leave this blank, an RPJ shall insert their name and the date / time when it has been approved)
Changed on Map: (Leave Blank, Admin will add name when added to map)

Valiens Nantaris Valiens Nantaris

Last edited by a moderator:
For 7 days, starting from the approval of the request, the requested hexes may be rebelled.

I love this suggestion overall, and I really like the avenue for opening up more rebellions. I just have a question about the above. If the requesting faction has one of their Insurrecting hexes rebel, and they win, what happens?

I assume they can always forfeit when it comes to the judging process, and the requesting faction still wants to relinquish the hex. Since an Insurrection request can include up to 5 hexes, it gives the possibility for a rebelling hex to be non-adjacent to the territory being retained, and a successful rebellion in the requesting faction's favor means they would (in theory) win back control a hex beyond their cloud. Which would, by our current cloud rules, turn neutral anyway.

This is to say, as much as I find opening up rebellions to be amazing, it seems like it creates a weird limbo scenario. I don't feel like that should invalidate your proposal or the inclusion of rebellions, though. I just don't know how to appease this edge case.

Melia Siari

M
Daiya Daiya
I would leave the decision of such a case up to staff (that the defending faction wins a rebellion), my assumption is that the hex would still go neutral. There would be no way for it to be non-adjacent to the major faction's territory though, the only hexes that could be requested to turn neutral are their own. Rebellions only would occur on the hexes open for rebellion.

Valiens Nantaris Valiens Nantaris Updated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom