Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private IGBC │ The Empress

8fa189ada7b977830d2dea48e19af27f-d4zpa5a.jpg
Empress Teta, In Orbit…
---​
Are you ready?”, Maliphant said with a glance to Adekos.​
The ship was a stealthed raiding corvette Jaeger had produced a few years back, and it was a righteous one at its job. He’d heard rumors some of the others produced ended up in the confines of hyperlanes in the Outer Rim serving as pirate vessels - and as much as Maliphant wanted to accost the gross misuse of his very specialized military craft, he couldn’t argue that the rumors of their effective use had spurred on his own sales tenfold.​
A good enough reason to not interfere with stealthed pirates, after all.​
Colonel Marr, Caulder and me will be going down now. Keep the ship warm - and if we have any issues, we’ll let you know over a secure frequency.”, motioning to a ring he had on his finger - that in the base of it, it had an SOS signal that could be used to call the ship for a quick escape.​
Eight men waited for them as they moved to the transport ship, a GS-77, and as Maliphant entered he found a seat; now under the disguise of a man known as Dorian Harper, he couldn’t help but straighten his tie to stay in character. His blue eyes glanced to Caulder with a cock of his brow;​
How do you expect this to go?”​

Adekos - or was it Caulder? Whatever you wanted to call him, the Umbaran coughed into his fist before resting it back on the head of his cane. "As ever."

He had taken to using one as well, if only for style rather than need. People were already unlikely to get on the case of an unassuming elderly person, moreso if they happened to have a crutch to wobble around on. Caulder Dune was, as always, a perfectly mundane Umbaran gentleman. Simply weathered with age. No facial scarring, ashen skin, or evil red eyes here.

Not at all.

Caulder found himself a new seat in the transport they transferred over to, knees audibly cracking as he lowered himself - ever so gingerly - into the seat. It truly was a question for the age. How much of this was an act? He rubbed his upper-lip with a finger, contemplating the next question.

"Koros is largely self-sufficient as far as their mineral imports go," he mused, "As long as we harp on how much easier their food importation will be, I'm sure they'll come to the table., Same as everyone else."

I’ll trust your word on that.”, Dorian offered with a nod as he brought up a small holopad.​
It held a ton of words, pictures, diagrams, charts - and whatever else was necessary to make the large accounting team on Teta have a field day with what the IGBC had cooked up. The economic implications would be large, if they were successful, but Maliphant knew that with Empress Teta’s bustling economy, that having it abide by their new trade recommendations would set them up far better than most of the other planets.​
He hummed as he flipped through a few more pages before settling on one -​
Recent history shows Lily Kuhn had helped establish some infrastructure on the planet. Economic policies in league with Koros Spaceworks, and social reforms such as health care - did a good job; though even more recently, there seems to have been an upstart cult leader on the planet with a series of slaves. The Imperium helped deal with him; so the planet doesn’t fair as well as it did, but still as good as ever.”​
That was a trait often overlooked of the Core, but just like the Corporate Sector - it always seemed to bounce back, though for how long was still an odd question. He hoped on some level, that the IGBC would help establish a new found growth that much of the galaxy could appreciate -​
Though only time would tell.​
I suppose we should capitalize in the lull in their economy then. Nothing like slaving cultists to lower the markets, afterall.”​

Lily Kuhn. Now that sounded familiar. Titan Industries had been run by a Kuhn, hadn't it? Although the phrase Caulder most often used sounded eerily similar, and ended in a hard t. Whatever. Different person. If this one had spent her time building infrastructure, then she was probably a decent enough sort. If a bit unimaginative.

Caulder could relate. He sniffed, scratched his nose. "Are these cultists still hanging around? I am hesitant to rely on Jedi to do a thorough job of weeding out the sleepers."

Then again, these were fascist Jedi. Or so he'd been told. Fascists did tend to be very good at exterminating things, even if Jedi generally weren't.

Hard to say.”, Dorian offered as he crossed his legs and glanced to the Blackwell Security forces milling about, prepping their weapons, and double checking their gear. Probably a nervous tick, something they did habitually; it was hard to define.​
The Jedi have claimed to turn his slaves on him - to usurp him internally, and inspire nationalism in their new citizens; but if I were a betting man, and I am, I’d put my money on it being propaganda. Governments like that tend to…”​
He considered his words as the ship began to break into more solid atmosphere, forcing it to shake for a moment.​
... Embellish. Its hard to know. I assume you’re aware of the Krath? They’ve a few temples a few of my agents have found on the planet - some untouched from the days of their uprising. Could be worth a nightly trip to see just what they contain.”​

Scenarios like that were exactly why he considered slaves too much of a liability. A massive body of people who could only have disdain for you, just begging to be agitated and armed by hostile agents. Pathetic, really. Thus unto cult leaders.

"Nationalism. Lovely," Caulder commented, only to scoff audibly at the mention of the Krath. "I was under the impression the Krath were little more than an assortment of high-born children, attracted to Sith arts to alleviate their boredom. Do you really think they have something worthwhile to us?"

Caulder flexed his wrist, cracking it audibly. He gave the Blackwell agents a glance. "Ah. But I think you're resolved to go anyway."

They were little more than an assortment of high-born children, but that was until they unified with Exar Kun - and if the rumors to be believed, then it was the result of Marka Ragnos.”, Dorian mentioned passively as the ship’s intercom declared their arrival to the capital city.​
Hard to say - but it may be worth the investigation. After of course - we settle our meeting.”, he offered with a subtle grin.​
Slowly the door opened to the gunship, and before either Dune or Harper had a chance to exit - the Blackwell Security Forces exited first. Their guns weren’t raised, but they at least ensured they were on the right pad, with the right greeting party; lest they were robbed the moment they arrived. It wasn’t truly required, perhaps, but it helped to set impressions - and stop the unnecessary reveal of two Sith Lords.​
A lady in white, backed by a series of individuals, came before them with a smile and crossed hands -​
Welcome to Empress Teta, Mr. Harper and Mr. Dune. My name is Talani; and I’ll be your personal guide - I wanted to be the first for thanking you for your arrival to our planet. The council room is almost ready - is there anything we can do for your as of right now?”​

"Of course, of course," Caulder repeated, "Regular business first, archaeological business second. Just as it ought to be."

Caulder was still working his way to a standing position when the Blackwell guards exited. Ah. He missed having his own security forces. Back in the day he had a squadron of Novatroopers. Now those were something to look at. Black and gold - never got old.

He made his way out, following after Mr. Harper just as a good Deputy Director would. And also as a good Deputy Director would do, he waited until Mr. Harper had given his answer before giving his own. Caulder smiled his amicable, expensive smile. "A pleasure, Mrs. Talani. I'm quite fine, thank you."

Caulder stole a glance around the landing pad, sized up the welcoming committee.

Lovely weather they were having.

Mrs. Talani; I believe Cybele told me about you. Thank you for the welcome - but no, I believe I am fine as of right now.”, Dorian offered with a welcoming smile.​
Talani nodded, with an obviously professional apathy that looked more like a synthetic expression more suited for a droid than a person. Dorian resisted mentioning it, but stole a glance to Adekos to see if he’d noticed - quick as it was. Her voice came jubilent, raised an octave higher than it should have been -​
Then come with me, we have two suites set out for you - with personal droids for whatever you require. I hope that will suffice for now.”, she offered as she motioned forward.​
The Blackwell Forces moved first, maintaining some distance between their guides and the Chairmen, and Maliphant took some joy in that. They looked more powerful this way, more important - and image was everything in things like this. A few guns went just as far as alot of words, which is something he always tried to remember -​
I’ve been meaning to ask you, Dune, what would you think of a dreadnaught for building infrastructure.”, Dorian said with a glance to him as they entered the far higher ceilings of the palace.​
I’m thinking about ten kilometers, full of molecular furnaces, meta forges, nano construction warms - whatever we can use. Probably an entire section to pull planetary materials; like the old World Devastators. I would warn you it might cost a bit…”​
But I think we could do it.”​

If Talani (or anyone else within a hundred feet, for that matter) was a droid, chances were Adekos already knew. He didn't seem particularly phased or alarmed by this fact. Human Replica Droids were quite popular among moneyed planets, especially as it came to using them as protocol droids.

The corner of Caulder's mouth twitched, and he followed along with the rest of the procession, eyes kept ahead. Looking forward, as always.

"We are capable of most things these days," he rasped, "The question is whether or not the Banking Clan is to now to partially become an infrastructure development firm. Will people be taking loans from us if they can merely pay us to build their planets for them?"

Caulder chuckled dryly. "Unless you mean to use the material gathering segments as a form of... Repossession."

Was there a reason to bring this up now? Perhaps Mr. Harper was flexing on these Tetan flunkies. It seemed to be working, there were some hushed utterances among the more far removed members of the welcome committee.

The reason for Dorian bringing up now was to be left up to a mystery, it would seem -​
Repossession, yes, but more importantly -”, he said with a smile as he caught the eye of one of the welcoming committee, “- With the amount of corporations the IGBC owns at current, it only makes sense we throw our hat in developing their assets, and planets that pay us to do so.”​
He glanced to one of the security as they turned a corner to a far more narrow hallway - obviously where their rooms were judging by the decorations and various doors on either side.​
I didn’t say it would be cheap. A rich planet like this… We could make entire cities in a matter of days - let alone spaceports. Drive yards, mining stations, quantum knots; there is beauty in efficient development, especially considering the vast war torn nature of the Core at present.”​
Soon Talani stopped and turned around - and Adekos would indeed know she was an HRD. The droid made flesh pointed to the two doors nearby and spoke in her all too odd way -​
These will be your rooms gentlemen. Do you want to relax, or go to the Council Room now?”, she asked with some courtesy in mind.​
Dorian glanced to Dune, more interested in what he wanted to do at the moment.​

The Deputy Director's brow furrowed in some level of contemplation, "I suppose that's true..."

Clearly it would be the most efficient way to develop larger orbital constructs, perhaps not the more... Subdued forms of infrastructure. It would at least be instrumental in breaking ground for new colonies faster than usual. There were worse things to spend their hard earned money on. At least it wasn't some gaudy warship.

"I won't be opposed, so long as we have the budget for it."

Which they doubtlessly did.

They entered the main structure, where they were guided through some lavish corridors to the suites they would be staying in. When Talani asked whether or not they should immediately proceed, Caulder turned to Dorian, ready to deffer once again.

Only to find that the Director was already looking at him. He frowned, briefly, but by the time he was looking at Talani again, he was smiling amicably. Couldn't help himself, beautiful piece of machinery that she was.

"I think I'll spend a few minutes getting settled in," he said, "If it's all the same with the Councilors."

Soon they would learn the folly of asking an old man with bad knees whether he wanted to relax.

Enjoy your room, Mr. Dune.”, Dorian offered. Talani simply nodded, accepting their decisions -​
I’ll see you both soon, as soon as the council is called.”​
Dorian offered a quick two fingered acknowledgment of her mention - then found his way to his own room. It was lavish, and no doubt a copy of the other - but there was a beauty in the beige and rustic luxury they had offered. They weren’t massive, and far smaller than his own penthouses - but that was to be expected; he would only be here for a few days. Instead, he found his way to the window, and glanced out -​
Empress Teta was known for its natural beauty, but in an odd turn of dichotomy, it was also known for its vast mining. Despite the damage the Core faced in recent years, it had survived - though it certainly was worse for wear; but a vague inspiration dawned on Maliphant as he considered just how resistant planets like this were to the harsh changes of the galaxy - how they chose to fight on despite the relatively minor governmental bodies.​
In a twisted turn of events, he couldn’t help but feel the slightest touch of pride he was helping them remain so independent.​
---​
An hour had gone by, and both would receive a page from Talani requesting their presence in the conference room. Directions were given, and outside their rooms stood two guards - though that hardly compared to the eight Blackwell Security Forces that still waited about. Dorian offered Dune a faint smile as he fixed the cuff links on his sleeves -​
I hope you enjoyed your rest, Mr. Dune. Get a good look out the window? It's a beautiful sight.”​
The group walked through the hallways, up the stairs, and found a central large room with even higher ceilings. As far as nobility went, Teta had some of the richest - and they weren’t afraid to show it. Paintings too grand to be drawn by mere mortal hands graced the ceiling - no doubt taking years to have been done; and far below, a large round table made of a heavy marble surrounded by much of the Tetan’s nobility, movers, and shakers.​
They stood at the arrival of the Bankers;​
Welcome, Mr. Harper and Mr. Dune. We appreciate your arrival to our humble planet.”, a man with a heavy, lifted fur collar and a cane with a polished bone head offered.​
Please, take a seat - We apologize for the wait.”​
No worries, a bit of time to relax from the space flight did us both well.”, Dorian dismissed as he found a seat next to Dune, taking kind to investigate the many faces here - many of which he remember from the dossiers Cybele had offered them.​

Caulder Dune emerged from his suite looking well-rested but not any less rickety. He toddled along Mr. Harper, relying on his cane for support. "Yes, I'm told Cinnagar is quite delightful this time of year..."

Unfortunately, Caulder didn't enjoy anything outside of the Ghost Nebula. Darkness and cold temperatures. Now there was a preferable state of things. Oh, how he missed Umbara. But at least there were less assassins here on Teta. Presumably.

Caulder paid little mind to the wealthy adornments on display now, having become somewhat accustomed to such displays. Though he did smile at the accumulated nobility. Quite a few characters - Lord Borli had a stranglehold on the andris mining operation. The twin scions of House Volar were here in place of their ailing father, who had a controlling interest in the majority of Teta's most productive fuel refineries.

People with a stake on trade and ease of export. His kind of people, or so he liked to think. Caulder lowered himself gingerly into his seat, drawing himself up to full posture.

This ought to be interesting.

A cough to clear his throat, Lord Borli - the man that greeted them initially, rose with as much authority he could muster. The nobility understood he was rich, and in some sense - he could speak for them in a small manner, as no doubt they would follow his approach; or at least, most of them. Some, like House Volar, were far more capable of their own self interest -​
As you both may understand, Empress Teta has seen great recoveries in recent years due to the careful guiding hand of Lily Kuhn and the Core Alliance; short as it was.”, he said with some flem appearing in his words.​
Yet, all of our projections have very much so not been meet; and we worry we may yet be outpaced by more stable planets like Barbatos - or the Confederacy’s various planets.”, he said with a huffle that shook the fat of his cheeks, hidden behind the weight of a greying beard.​
That’s why we have asked you hear - experts in intergalactic trade and economics as you are; we need… advice. Advisement, rather.”​
Tapping his cane on the ground, though light as they were, he motioned to them both; giving them the floor -​
I want to hear what you have to say.”​
Dorian was going to pipe up, offer them a solution - but he paused and glanced to Dune. He imagined he might have a better time relating with the elderly crowds around them, than the far younger Dorian; who seemed to catch the eyes of the female nobility more. He remained silent, waiting for the explanation from the ex-emperor, who unknowingly once struck fear into all those around the table.​

There was that name again - Lily Kuhn. Had that been the bastard progeny of Alric Kuhn, or his wife? Yes, she had been in charge of Empress Teta at one point. For some reason the name reminded him of the time when the One Sith ruled the Core. Had she been in charge then as well? The details of this past were murky to him.

Not that it mattered. It was a dead era - irrelevant to the current state of affairs.

Caulder spoke without even looking at Dorian, having already assumed this was going to be his job. Old people did so love to be educated by old people. Or perhaps it was more that they didn't hate it as much as they hated being lectured by young people.

"It's a matter of common markets, Lord Borli," Caulder droned, "The Confederacy has its own credit standards, as do the Sith. They are able to standardize the value of their own currencies in matters of interplanetary trade, which makes it a great deal easier. A centralized organization, if you will."

To Caulder, it was perfection. Disparate worlds bound through mutual economic interest, harmonized through a dedicated, impartial bureaucracy. A perfect galaxy was one united through trade, not threat of violence. And the InterGalactic Banking Clan was the instrument to carry it out.

So Caulder dreamed, at any rate.

He continued, "We here in the Banking Clan are attempting to offer similar standardization, one free of affiliation with a major government. The Galactic Standard Credit will assist neutral planets, such as yourselves, in not only trading with your neighbors, but across the borders of larger governments."

The man’s face contorted in an expression of near pain as he considered what Dune said - though that was often the face elders made when thought came across them. Dorian would have thought Adekos did much the same - but for some reason, he couldn’t imagine Adekos moving any of his facial muscles - odd as it were.​
And this ‘Galactic Standard Credit-”, Lord Borli chortled through hairy chops, “- what makes it better? How would we receive enough to turn our markets to it?”​
Dorian thought it a reasonable time to chime in, and readjusted himself at the table before planting a finger on the edge - as though to emphasize his points, tapping when something important was said.​
Lord Borli, let me be the first to say - I love the coat.”, Dorian said with a smile - and while Borli tried to hide it behind his mustache, it was obvious he nodded in appreciation.​
Second, we will introduce the Credit to your economy through ‘Transferred Buyback’. Essentially, we will ‘buy’ your current currency en masse, and in return we will give you Standard Credits as payment. This means you’ll serve to gain, and we will always have a collection of your currency - to help establish a standard value, and ensure market fluctuations are well controlled.”, Dorian said with a touch of his finger to the table.​
Last, the Galactic Standard Credit is special for a few reasons; but the primary one is thus - it is a self investing, centralized currency based on a mixture of resource’s produced, fiat manipulation, and quantum block chains. The last of that being the major foundation, developed by our technology department.”, Dorian said with a quick smile.​
I can send over all the relevant information if anyone here wishes - but suffice to say, it is a self investing currency that offers you returns simply by holding it in your pocket. In more ways than one, might I add.”, he said with a business man’s wink.​
A well practiced charisma did wonders, and a few at the table began to whisper between each other, while others wrote quick notes. Lord Borli glanced to someone next to him - an older lady that was likely ‘Lady Borli’, before the heavier man glanced back and cleared his throat, forcing the table to look at him.​
And what of more economic advise - would the IGBC become a centralized banking service for Empress Teta? Would you demand the other banks to surrender assets?”, he said with a quick glance between them.​
Dorian thought it best Dune answer this one though.​

A central bank? Good heavens. Although the Tetans were as close to the center of the universe as they could reasonably be, there was no reason to act like it. Caulder could not imagine a smaller lot in life than merely managing the economics of this one system, prosperous as it was. This was the InterGalactic Banking Clan, after all.

"No, of course not," Caulder said, smiling in that understanding way of his, "The economic affairs of Empress Teta will continue to be conducted locally. We are merely constructing a stable framework for the galaxy to conduct trade within, and are inviting you to join."

Surrendering assets and shuttering banks. Someone was clearly still traumatized from the One Sith. Caulder could empathize, really, although in entirely different matters.

The man seemed to nod, reserving himself to a quiet appreciation for the plan before glancing back to Dorian -​
Please, send those documents. I’d like to read what you’ve to offer in detail.”​
Dorian gave him a simple nod before the next rose to ask a question - and the next after them. The meeting went on for hours as they laid out their plans, their offers, and the economic viability of what they had to offer through the IGBC; constant as it were, as interested as Harper once was - after hours of answering questions, he began to grow weary.​
And the light at the end of the tunnel could not come soon enough as the last sat down and surrendered themselves to thought - Maliphant giving a quick glance to Adekos from the side of his eye - as though to offer him a quick ‘We did well.’​
Slowly, he stood, as did Borli. Dorian shook his heavy, large hand with his own - and smiled as a banker did when making deals for planetary economies;​
Thank you both, for your information. We will delegate on this, and come back with what we decide.”, he said through his flabbering jowls.​
Please, take your time - We can’t wait to hear what you decide.”​
When Dune had his own farewell offered, he left with the security force in two - alone as they were, he glanced over to Adekos with a far more exhausted expression;​
That was an exceptionally longer meeting than I was hoping for.”, he said, surrendering that charismatic sycophantic personality to the meeting they’d left.​

Caulder exchanged his meaningless farewell pleasantries with the rest of the delegates. They were all so relieved to hear that joining a financial bloc was not the same as ceding control over their entire planetary economy. Not in the sense they imagined, anyway. Hardline Tetan nationalists might see things differently.

Today's proceedings concluded, Caulder hobbled after Dorian.

"I don't know what you mean," said Caulder, just as he withdrew a handkerchief from within the folds of his jacket, "I'd say that was on the shorter side of things."

Someone, clearly, wasn't so used to dealing with planetary governments as Caulder. The Umbaran sneezed into the handkerchief, muffling the noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom