Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Will Be The Last Factory Administrator

On another note, I did see mention of concern for the RPJs.

I do very much appreciate the concern for my Staff peoples, and I am now assuring the community that I will be lessening their workload, not adding to it.

Edit: For reference, the last Factory Administrator did the math last May of how many subs a single RPJ did out of the whole month. It was "80% of 350+ subs for the whole month." The well-being of the RPJs, as well as the Factory Team as a whole, is one of the highest priorities for me. I would retort to anyone expressing concern now, why did you not express concern then? A rhetorical question, as you likely were not paying attention, and rightfully so - you're not held responsible for the reason why that RPJ was in that position, nor are you held responsible for the situation's solution.

I assume full responsibility for these failures, as they have lasted far beyond any one Factory Administrator, Head Administrator, or Staff Member.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Tefka said:
I will, however, provide them either the knowledge to not abuse our systems - or
I'll tangent a reply to Kei's concern. Though maybe similar in spirit to the quote above.

Long ago, we once asked the Staff team to create a Guides & Tutorials Section for the board. A place, specifically not among the blogs, that could be seen as a repository for knowledge, wisdom, and advice. And some of us hoped that it would be enough. Not to cure stupid. But to help it pass away. And. To our surprise. Some people read it. And some people didn't. To our surprise. Some people found it useful. Some people didn't. Personally? I think some of my best writing still lingers in that section to this very day. Yet. To anybody who fears new stupid. To anybody who would return to the age old arguement of "What If?" I warn, so calmly. You cannot fix stupid. You cannot defend the community against it. You cannot buffer the whole world, birth the new babes with age and experience, or rip shadow from light. So as to extinguish it's sigh so completely.

You cannot fix stupid. But we are not helpless. We can help the cray. We have the power. We know better man. We've been there, we've done it before, and we've succeeded in spite of it all. We gave Master Rank to everybody and we don't approve Character Profiles. They said it was crazy. They said it wouldn't work. They said it would destroy the community, drive the people away, and herald Ragnarok and all Hell would come with her.

Yet. It didn't. And people forgot. And life goes on.

Oh well. :p

M O N O L I T H
Factory Judge
Tefka said:
This will be a different beast. I do not walk backwards.
But can you cha-cha slide backwards?

In seriousness, A completely new form of Approval/Denial system may just be the thing we need to get the factory back into shape.

Good luck to you and the staff for working on this.

Tefka said:
Your argument is very valid, and is the main counter to this process in my opinion.

And I think, to some extent, we will see it come to fruition. But I will be overseeing the beginning stages of the actual implementation of my suggestion, once finalized with the Factory Team. And I will be ensuring the harshest consequences dealt out once problems are found - because our problems aren't OP items, it can't be. It's pen and paper. It's cooperative role-playing. IC, you're basically immortal unless you decide otherwise.

But I want to be very clear on this final point: It has never been, nor will ever be, my job to make bad writers good. I will, however, provide them either the knowledge to not abuse our systems - or deny them access to those systems altogether if they refuse to adapt.

The Factory is one of those systems.

At first glance, I will not know who those people are who constantly abuse the system. But time is on my side, not their's.
That makes sense.

I suppose that having that support from you will almost keep everything in balance. That, I think is one of the concerns I have with this is a system is how can you keep things balanced when the thing that is supposed to keep things balanced won't be stepping in until after it's already become unbalanced? As a system, this is relying on other writers working together and it's trusting these writers to play ball.

I'm honestly willing to give this a try. I honestly think that so long as it's monitered right and all concerns are addressed (which they are being, clearly) then this could either be the best thing for the factory or one of the worst. None of us know and we just have to trust.

In Umbris Potestas Est
Question. Suppose I have subs that I want to modify. Will I be able to just go in and modify these assumedly already approved submissions whenever I please, or will I still have to submit a request, wait two weeks for them to get pulled, then wait for them to get put back after I edit them? Or are all factory submissions going to be getting opened up to allow for their editing?

[member="Tefka"]

On a similar note, the ability to delete and or merge our own char accounts would be primo. Only posting here cuz it runs sort of in the same vein as cleaning up the factory. One less bs job the staff gotta hurl themselves at.

RC 212 said:
[member="Tefka"]

On a similar note, the ability to delete and or merge our own char accounts would be primo. Only posting here cuz it runs sort of in the same vein as cleaning up the factory. One less bs job the staff gotta hurl themselves at.
That's not even in the same galactic vein as this discussion, I'd ask you start another thread. You're in the right forum, though!

In Umbris Potestas Est
[member="Tefka"]

Just asking since I still have a large number of subs I need to edit to 5.0 standards and going at the same pace i’ve been going at now would literally take me until the end of the year.

[member="Vanessa Vantai"]

Again, off the cuff, none of these comments will reflect actual changes... but I want you to be able to do whatever you want as fast as you can, not as fast as we allow.

So if that's how you wanna spend your time, sure, I'm working with the team to find the way to do it.

You know... I wanna have something meaningful to contribute to this conversation... Wanna weigh in on it one way or the other.

But really?

I got nothing.

All the changes that have been made to the Factory over the years have worked out pretty well in the long run. And this seems like something that's had a lot of thought put into it, so it should work out just as well as the rest of the changes that have been made.

So... yeah. I look forward to seeing how this improves the writing experience on Chaos.

[member="Tefka"]

You mentioned turning the factory team into a denial force rather than an approval one, so my $0.02 on how it this work is people post their gear/ships/companies according to the guidelines set out, and use them as they please. Once in RP if they use start using an "everything proof" shield or some other way that causes issues a judge is called to look at the gear and then is is approved/denied.

Kay-Larr

Sphaera Tea Company Owner
Creating subs is always so daunting and intimidating to me. I'm not a pro like so many that I know...lol

But I'll just go with the flow like always and work with the changes :) Hopefully it works well to ease the burdens on staff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom