Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private I Do Not Know You

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ
JEDI TEMPLE
CORUSCANT

Time away from the war on the Maw border was pleasant.

Jand had had the time to recover, see some old faces, spend time in a proper bed and even find some new jedi robes. The youth who had walked to face the Maw was no more, instead a young man had returned. Taller, stronger, more experienced. Thanks to both his master, Caltin Vanagor, and the battles fought. There was no denying that extended deployment to a war zone could take a toll on the mind and body, but being Nagai it seemed Jand had thrived, especially when it came to increasing his combat prowess and Tutaminis use.

Yet, the same could not be said for his lightsaber.

The Padawan sat in a large hall of the Jedi Temple, away to one side at a table, with his lightsaber spread out - in pieces - on the wooden surface. He had started to clean it, only to find that several components needed replacement, so had decided to use the opportunity to deep-clean the weapon. There was no excuse for the state of the lightsaber, save that Jand had not had the time or place in the war to do what he did now.

Not only that, but Jand had seen some very interesting designs among the Maw warriors, and it had given him some ideas about his own lightsaber.

As he worked, Jand's gray eyes glanced up, and he caught sight of... someone who seemed familiar, but also wasn't. Someone that Jand felt he knew of, perhaps, but had not seen around the Jedi Temple since he had arrived. He tried to recall, thinking about where he had seen the humanoid, but drew a blank.

Though, it seemed the scrutiny might have gotten that very same humanoid's attention...

jand_spacer_new1.png

Kahlil Noble Kahlil Noble

Last edited:

Kahlil_Div2.png

Jand was back.

Not that Kahlil exactly knew Jand. Another of the Padawans of the new era, but unlike most that he'd met, Jand had remained on the front lines. Fighting, day after day. It didn't come as a surprise. As a Nagai, why wouldn't he be fighting? Such was the way for any warrior culture. A shame so many of the new generation of Jedi were all from such cultures, though. Or perhaps it was a boon? They all had something to work on, together.

He kept a calm smile as ever as he sat down at the table, glancing towards the dismantled lightsaber first, then to it's owner.

"They've seen lots of wear and tear, haven't they?"

Jand Talo Jand Talo

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ
Jand glanced up, as Kahlil sat down, and listened.

"Yes, I suppose so," the Padawan said slowly, as he considered the words. "Even the most maintained and cared for parts can begin to wear down with consistent use... though sometimes there is no other option, but to continue."

Jand looked down to the parts spread on the table, as he reached for the blue crystal and picked it up between thumb and finger.

"I am Jand Talo," he said, as gray eyes shifted focus from the small object in hand, to the humanoid opposite. "I believe I know who you are... but I also thought you dead. If that is, indeed, who you are."

The Padawan was curious now.

Kahlil_Div2.png

"Rumors of my demise were.. Not exaggerated, but.. No. I didn't die. Even though everyone, including myself, thought I was. The Force is a mystery, isn't it?"

He chuckled just a little, but it wasn't a topic he wanted to linger on. It was already confusing enough for him and.. Everyone else involved. Instead he glanced again towards the weapon, nodding. Sometimes there was no choice but to continue. Huh.

"The Nagai culture, it's very battle hardened, right? Is it alright for you to talk about? I am rather curious."

Jand Talo Jand Talo

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ
jand_spacer_new1.png

The answer - or, more accurately, non-answer - caused Jand to narrow his eyes as he considered.

"I suppose it is," the Nagai said slowly, as he glanced back down to the lightsaber parts on the table. "I imagine Master Valery and your offspring are glad, so that is good. Among other things, like being alive."

It was obvious the topic was not desired, so the Padawan would move on.

Jand listened to the query about Nagai and nodded.

"I have told some about my people, it is a warrior's culture, yes," Jand glanced with gray eyes back to Kahlil Noble. "What did you want to know? I cannot share everything, our society is naturally suspicious and untrusting, and secrets must be maintained... but I can speak openly of other things, specifically my life, if I so choose."

With a metallic-bristled brush, Jand began to scrub the internal mechanisms of the lightsaber clean, removing the burned ozone and grime from war slowly but surely...

Last edited:

Kahlil_Div2.png

"I understand. My people are the same way, somewhat." Certainly not as secretive as the Nagai surely were, but the Epicanthix had the luxury of having an Empire at it's back. Or did, many times, before the destruction of their world. A bitter sweet thought, and one he didn't linger on.

"Do your people believe in staining a soul? Where every kill coats your very being. Or.. Perhaps, you loose parts of yourself."

Jand Talo Jand Talo

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ
jand_spacer_new1.png

It went without saying that Jand would ask questions later.

Yet, for the moment, the Padawan listened as the other sentient continued to speak. The phrases were odd, Jand supposed he understood, but even the final words were spoken, the Nagai had his answers.

"No, not in the slightest." Jand said simply, as he put down the brush and began to reach inside the hilt housing. "The Nagai have no care or scruples when it comes to killing. My culture is ruthless. You may be killed at any moment, targeted for a duel challenge, if there is an opportunity for fame or social gain in your defeat."

But, Jand was getting ahead of himself.

"To give context, Nagai culture is dependent on social standing for individual clans. My family, Clan Talo, holds a high position of recognition on Saijo, my homeworld. We are considered a first circle clan, the top of the social structure. Others are second or third circles, or less. We earned that place by winning honor duels and killing other Nagai clan members of renown."

Jand pulled a number of wires and components from the hilt cylinder, as he placed them to one side.

"Most deaths occur from these honor duels. Most Nagai observe that practice, to maintain their personal honor... and those that do not, or turn away from their clans, are hunted down and killed to avoid bringing dishonor to our own."

Jand reached into his satchel and pulled out some additional components and another blue kyber crystal, one that he had discovered along the Maw borders. He had plans for the weapon, he would improve on the original design, and now seemed as good a time as any...

"Does that make sense?"

Kahlil_Div2.png

"It does, actually."

Kahlil nodded along as he listened to him. Curious, mostly. Occasionally just looking over the Lightsaber as Jand took it apart and cleaned it. It'd been a while since he actually saw another tending to their lightsaber.

Maybe that should be something of a lesson, some other day.

"You're in a unique position, Jand. To have it spun in a positive way, to kill or be killed I mean. When you killed your first, how did that make you feel?"

Jand Talo Jand Talo

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

jand_spacer_new1.png

Jand was glad his explanation was understood, especially as he simplified to avoid a lot of the more secretive intricacies of Nagai culture.

The next question caused the Padawan to incline his head, as he looked at the other blankly, before he spoke. There had been a moment of hesitation, perhaps, as Jand considered lying - though why, he didn't know, maybe to preserve his status within the Jedi Order? He understood fully that his species, his culture, were very different from a lot of Alliance governing participants, and many found fault with the nonchalant manner in which Nagai regarded life.

"I... felt relief, really," Jand said in a low voice, as he frowned. "I was around seven standard years old, I had been challenged by a rival clan, in their attempt to undermine my place as heir to my father's position."

As Jand recalled in mind, he began to pull more parts from the satchel at his side, which included another cylinder and various threaded cap ends and bolts.

"I did not care that I killed the older Nagai, we do not care about that, and I am no different," the Padawan continued, as he retrieved a small handheld solder-blaster and started to slice and shape the new hilt cylinder. "In my time at the Jedi Order, I have learned to adapt my beliefs to view my actions as dutifully honorable toward sentients that require protection. It has allowed me to alter my perception of personal honor, to both intervene against and defeat strong foes, to keep those unable to fight like I can safe."

It had taken Jand a long time to align his Nagai and Jedi belief systems, with help from friends along the way who had pressed him and questioned him, but in the end it had been doable. It had been a key development in Jand's journey as a Jedi. One that finally let him begin true growth without doubt or uncertainty as to whether he belonged within the Order.

"If you want to know whether I feel anything - sadness, regret, happiness - when I kill... no, I do not. I feel nothing. Killing is immaterial to me."

Jand looked down to the sparking tool, as he made some final adjustments to the inner cap of the cylinder. He looked up, curious:

"What do you feel when you kill?"

Kahlil_Div2.png

"Depends. When I was a boy, the first person I killed was my best friend. He'd literally stabbed me in the back, so I took that knife and stabbed him in the heart." That certainly wasn't the type of memory he liked to talk about, but there was no judgement. Not with Jand, at least.

"Later on, desperation. The more I killed, the more likely I'd be allowed to survive. Then, guilt. And now.. I'm not too sure what I feel. Certainly not indifference. If I kill, it's because there is no other choice. For my people, or at least those free of my father's tyrannical beliefs, the greatest strength is showing mercy. But that's me. That's my people. You've done well, to take your people and their beliefs, and being a Jedi. There's a lot of contradictions to those who don't look deeper."

Kahlil leaned back in his seat, giving a brief smile. "You make a great guardian, Jand. It's good to see you back home."

Jand Talo Jand Talo

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

jand_spacer_new1.png

The revelation made Jand nod.

"It is unfortunate that your friend did that. The Nagai only trust clan for that very reason," the Padawan held his gaze steady, as he considered. "Though it sounds to me like defense, if it was during the same instance. Still, unfortunate."

With the reasoning of survival, Jand could understand that, his own childhood wasn't too different. He couldn't relate to the guilt, however. There had never been guilt for Jand, not in any instance of his life, nor did he suspect any in the future. As Kahlil continued to speak, Jand realized they were very different, in many ways; such as the choice to kill being a last resort for the former, whereas the Padawan saw it as the most efficient way to end a threat before it could become a danger.

Different.

"I typically do not believe mercy is the best choice," Jand said as he looked down to the pieces of lightsaber, his fingers busy working the whole time, as he started to insert the new components into the new secondary hilt cylinder. "However, I understand that - in some instances - it is necessary not to kill. Over my time with the Jedi, I have worked on that awareness, and have had to temper my instincts for the sake of some missions or engagements."

As he worked, Jand began to channel the Force, as he used the power to influence the connections of the weapon taking shape before them.

"I appreciate your sentiment, though I do not feel I am any particularly great Jedi," Jand shrugged. "I am an effective weapon against enemies. I know my strength, I know what I am useful for, I am accepting of that. And when I can, I uphold the ideals of the Jedi, balancing both sides of myself."

Fortunately, the indifference to killing meant the dark side didn't have as much of a sway over the Padawan; there was no anger, no hate, nothing save effectively removing a threat.

"I am unaware of your people or father... who are they?"

Kahlil_Div2.png

"Weapon, huh?"

Kahlil rubbed at the back of his neck at that, frowning for just a moment in thought. Jand was the kind of person where that didn't actually affect him. Just part of the culture, and it was something Kahlil could respect. Still, it just made him feel.. Awkward, to say the least.

"I am unaware of your people or father... who are they?"

He blinked, seemingly pulled out of his own head by the question. Right. This generation didn't know as much as his own did.

"The Epicanthix. My father is Carnifex, a lord of the Sith."

Jand Talo Jand Talo

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

jand_spacer_new1.png

"Yes, a weapon," Jand confirmed. He looked back down to the lightsaber as he began to place more components within the housing. "It is a time of war... it is the most appropriate role to fulfill, I believe."

Jand was under no delusions, he knew his worth and skillset. In time that could change, of course, as all things did, but for now it was the way of it.

"The Epicanthix, I see," the Padawan nodded slowly, but his movement stopped with the follow on - as Jand quirked an eyebrow. "Your father is a lord of the Sith? Carnifex?"

Jand stared, gray eyes a mixture of curiosity and disbelief.

"I could not even hazard a guess at the complexity of that situation..."

With a grunt, Jand looked back to the lightsaber parts, before he continued to assemble the emitter rings and conduits.

"I have heard of your father. You must know of his actions, likely in more detail. Why have you not killed him?"

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

jand_spacer_new1.png

Jand felt he understood.

"That does seem like a lot to negatively experience, for no real gain," the Padawan concluded, as he nodded. "I suppose there is argument for avoiding that happening again, or worse, with your return to Master Valery and your offspring..."

Yet, even as the Nagai continued to install the components of the lightsaber, he glanced up to Kahlil.

"However, such a problem cannot be left unresolved. Either by you or someone else. Perhaps resuming that search for answers is warranted, if only to assist others when the time comes?"

Jand had no doubt that Carnifex would die, at some point, it was just a matter of when.

"As you can see, I am making some modifications to my initial lightsaber design, ones that I anticipate will improve my combat applicability and effectiveness."

Perhaps a change in topic.

"Could you pass me the energy modulation circuit there?"

Kahlil_Div2.png

"Oh, the Jedi won't let my Father stay free and unpunished. I've every intention of helping them in turn."

The new generation had already faced him, in some ways. Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el most of all. Hopefully they wouldn't have to face Carnifex again, but Kahlil had faith they'd be able to handle themselves. All of them.

Or at least, he'd help make sure they could.

Kahlil reached out, taking up the item requested to hand over. Nodded. A change in subject was good. And welcome.

"Increasing the cutting power?"

Jand Talo Jand Talo

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

jand_spacer_new1.png

It was reassuring to know that Kahlil would remain involved in the pursuit of justice toward his parent.

Jand suspected that he might be involved himself, given his stature as a increasingly strong combatant within the Order, but that remained to be seen. If there was reason or need, the Padawan would do his part, as he always did. Duty, personal honor, it was all part of being a Jedi, even when it came to confronting near-unstoppable enemies of the galaxy.

When the other asked about the cutting power, Jand grunted with a faint smirk.

"In a sense, yes," the Nagai muttered, as he took the part and leaned close to the lightsaber, where he started to install the piece. "I have included multi-faceted focusing lens, which allow me to adjust the blade to set variables as needed. Increased cutting strength, a refined blade for dueling or a thicker blade for blaster fire. That concept worked well..."

Jand squinted as he reached inside the second hilt and began to tighten internal components.

"But I have thought of new applications, ones to improve on combat versatility--"

The Padawan glanced up, as he added:

"--inspired by Master Valery."

Several moments passed, before Jand had fitted the final wires and gems, complete with sockets and fluctuators, into place. He twisted the longer hilt together, scanned the focusing lenses, made sure the weapon felt right technologically and intrinsically through the Force, before he held the hilt sideways and pressed the activator.

* Snap-hiss *

The blue blade came to life, stable and crackling.

"And now."

Jand pressed a second activator, on the lower half of the longer hilt, and watched as a second blue blade erupted.

"Good... it seems to be functioning as intended."

Then, Jand grabbed either end of the hilt, in both hands, and twisted the two halves in opposing directions.

Both halves split, revealing a pair of lightsabers.

"The energy modulation circuits can handle the separation... very good."

Jand looked to Kahlil, a smirk on his face:

"Increased cutting power, multiplied by two."

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

jand_spacer_new1.png

Jand's gray eyes looked up from the lightsaber to Kahlil.

He smiled.

"A spar?" the Padawan deactivated the blue blades, before he joined the twin hilts and connected them into a single handle again. "I could be convinced, yes."

With no hesitation Jand stood, as he motioned with his hand toward the exit of the hall, and added:

"After you, Master Kahlil..."

Kahlil_Div2.png

Kahlil raised a brow as he glanced towards the hall, then back to him. Convinced? Well, Kahlil already started to open his mouth and say something about it to convince Jand. Except, well, Jand was already heading out of the hall.

Alright he was a little confused, but it was alright. He figured that just meant they were going to actually spar.

He lead the way, down the hall towards one of the training rooms. It'd do well for their purposes.

"You have any experience with Enropite crystals, by chance?"

Jand Talo Jand Talo

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom