Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How should we improve the community?

Do not argue with others opinions, focus on your own.
If you agree with a suggestion, make use of that like button. Don't repost it.

Whether it be roleplay-oriented, rules-oriented, dominions, rebellions, etc - how can we improve?

I'm not looking for problems, I'm looking for solutions. If you need to outline an issue, give us potential solutions in conclusion!

Help us make Chaos great. Help us continue to usher Chaos into 2017.

Let us know what you want to see as we approach the half-year mark.

PvP happens.

So let's eliminate the tactics used to make Invasions difficult for everyone involved. What comes to mind right now is the current rule regarding PM'ing the other faction. I think that rule should be adjusted so that stalling tactics and/or quickly running through Dominions to lessen the blow can't happen. I'm a firm believer of "if you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen" when it comes to major factions, so my adjustment would be:

Give the opposing faction a seven day notice. The defending faction must then disclose any codex submissions/lore/defenses that are in place so that they are respected upon the start of an invasion.

Forget arguing over fleet lengths. Forget stalling. Cut the crap and fight, there will be a lot less salt this way.

I would say more talking. A great example is with ORC and the FO. Till these last couple of invasion we didn't mingle much, but low and behold we began talking and I had the pleasure of writing one of my favorite stories with them.

The art of talking and hashing stuff out is lost sometimes. We need to just remember we are all nerds having fun with glow Sticks and blasters. Have that be a base and build the bridges from there.

Stop punishing the Staff by excluding them from certain activities or positions that all other members are permitted to be involved in just because some individual comes out and proclaims "unfair".

The Staff are writers as well and should be afforded the same enjoyment of leading factions, writing with one another, or painting the map whatever color they want and should not be held back from such a thing just because a small group of people complain.

When I first came here (way back in 2011-2012) I remember looking at the map and in the upper left there was the Blue Hawks. I remember that at that time a majority of the members (could have even be the alts) where members of the Staff that had come together because they wanted to write together and enjoy the map game just as much as the next person.

Allow them to do that again. If the staff wants to come up with a faction and work together to see it on the map, then let them. We wouldn't exclude certain individuals from making a faction and leading it would we? If that were the case then I'd have been bared a good half-dozen faction ideas back.

I do not believe that Staff should continue to be punished or have to "take one for the team" time and time again because someone else doesn't like that the Staff idea got more attention or the "Staff Faction" got more members.

Sanya Val Lerium

Neutral, Queen of Her people, Neko
I think the rebellions should have a little revamp. I've noticed many people complaining about fractions suddenly popping up to just rebel against a fraction. So maybe lowering the rebellion must be started within a week rather than two and keep hold of the two week ban on starting another after a failed attempt.

As for me I'd be curious to know if you can implement a system where it's like matchmaking. What I mean by this is where we can enter threads with random people. A planet gets randomly chosen and so does a scenario. So a space kinda thing or may be caught up in the middle of a battle. If it's vague enough it means the people involved can make a go of what info is there.

Since development threads have been removed, and the most popular lightsaber resistant materials are free if submitted unique, I feel like the challenges can be adjusted.

I think that any submission should be able to use restricted materials, if it is unique. (Deep down I really want a "use whatever, judge on actual balance" but baby steps, right?) My justitication is that I don't see a horde of threads descending upon the neutral stygium worlds for raids, nor do I see people mining beskar left and right. There aren't swaths of semi-unique and up submissions for the materials that can be used at Unique, and I doubt there will be swaths of unique submissions for any restricted material.

Let the people write. Put faith in our Judges to allow truly balanced submissions to be stamped.

On the subject on submissions:

Every submission must have at least one weakness. For items with any remote, martial application, the weakness must be something that comes into play during martial threads. (i.e. Invasions) "Expensive" will not make an actual difference, "Forward firing arc" will.

Community-ran, monthly micro-events.

Back in the day there were Friday night roleplays that were amazing. It allowed everyone to break out of their comfort zones and interact with writers they typically don't. I fondly recall how my alt Josiah and Daxton Bane had a rivalry that started on one such thread. So, my suggestion is:

Once a month, staff/volunteers present a prompt/theme in the form of an opening post. The community then has the whole of the month to go bananas with everyone. The sky is literally the limit - maybe we hunt for Akala's codpiece in January and then are subjected to Cira's love potion in February.

I just miss the dynamic of having something, regularly, to look forward to that isn't a faction thread. :)

Put less weight on the map game.

It's very easy for groups to get in the mindset of 'this is mine' and then get upset over losing it. Make it easier to gain space so that we can have big factions that serves as foundations, and so that it hurts a helluva lot less when a faction loses that space.

Maybe encourage minor events that reward large gains or losses of territory so it feels more like there are fluctuating governmental powers rather than rump states in every corner. Less time spent on the map equals less investment in the map, and less investment in the map encourages a friendlier environment. It's hard to feel like you're 'serving the Republic' or 'fighting for the empire' when your government is tiny and you have to spend all that time expanding, only to have someone pop up with a rebellion or something of that ken and reverse all that work.

RIP Carlyle Rausgeber

"It's all been bloody marvellous..."
So here's my personal laundry list here:

• Make Super Star Destroyers something able to be built. I came to this site with the expectation I'd be able to run with an executor-class Star Destroyer. I have thus far been disappointed, but would love to see factions being able to deploy behemoth's like the Executor, Eclipse and others to run out and wipe out fleets, or be involved in epic space battles.
  • Force neutralising materials, moderate them. With the amount of voidstone, phrik, and other lightsaber/force nerfing materials available to folks is ridiculous. It may say "Unique" or "Limited", but fact is, when it keeps coming up in RP, it doesn't make it feel special anymore. I'm not saying an outright ban, but it's ridiculous that these things keep being deployed.
  • Territory Exchanges. I've had a ranging diplomacy muse burning within my soul, and would like to see factions hash out peace deals which involve planets changing hands, enforceable demilitarised zones and all that jazz. Make diplomacy just as important as wars, please.
  • Hex Invasion Cool Down: Lots of folks here have been talking about the need for a more fluid map game. What better way then to let factions hex invade other groups at least once every one- to two months. It should be a more readily available strategy, then waiting for the other team to capitulate after about half a dozen smaller invasions. Either that, or mirror the dominion system, and have Tier 2 invasions.

Just my $0.02

I agree with [member="Sanya Val Swift"] and add:

Rebellions have a window of seven days to initiate.

Minor factions deemed inactive cannot initiate a rebellion. To be deemed active, a minor faction must have at least two IC threads dating back at least thirty days prior to the rebellion's start.

The problem of random Minor factions being brought back from the dead specifically to "kark that faction in particular" has a remedy. This way, the power to change the map rests in the hands of those actively writing.

Taa Nul

CEO of Kamigen Incorporated
Carlyle Rausgeber said:
So here's my personal laundry list here:

• Make Super Star Destroyers something able to be built. I came to this site with the expectation I'd be able to run with an executor-class Star Destroyer. I have thus far been disappointed, but would love to see factions being able to deploy behemoth's like the Executor, Eclipse and others to run out and wipe out fleets, or be involved in epic space battles.
  • Force neutralising materials, moderate them. With the amount of voidstone, phrik, and other lightsaber/force nerfing materials available to folks is ridiculous. It may say "Unique" or "Limited", but fact is, when it keeps coming up in RP, it doesn't make it feel special anymore. I'm not saying an outright ban, but it's ridiculous that these things keep being deployed.
  • Territory Exchanges. I've had a ranging diplomacy muse burning within my soul, and would like to see factions hash out peace deals which involve planets changing hands, enforceable demilitarised zones and all that jazz. Make diplomacy just as important as wars, please.
  • Hex Invasion Cool Down: Lots of folks here have been talking about the need for a more fluid map game. What better way then to let factions hex invade other groups at least once every one- to two months. It should be a more readily available strategy, then waiting for the other team to capitulate after about half a dozen smaller invasions. Either that, or mirror the dominion system, and have Tier 2 invasions.

Just my $0.02
This. All this.

I agree with Carly.

Let's make SSDs a thing. We have enough competent fleeters and rules in place (i.e. you can only pilot the big ships with a major faction's permission) that I doubt they'll be an issue. If need be, since the "it took an Empire" argument has been used in the past, why not have a territory-based system in place.

SSD: 10,000 posts. For every complete hex your faction owns, remove 100 posts (up to a maximum of 600 posts).

So, basically, if you want a SSD play the map game very well or recruit [member="Cira"] and [member="Raziel"] to write one of their novels on your behalf. Either way, SSDs should be a thing, doesn't really make sense why their not. Abuse? Trust the Judge for Balance. Report Godmodium. We have systems in place, let's use them and embrace all of Canon.

More Pron! Pron for all noobs!

But serious...I really miss chat room based real time role play....able to do spur of the moment. I still haven't figured out how to get started and forums have never been good to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom