Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion How I break down and do combats (Asking for critiques and possible changes)

First let me apologize for this being a wordy mess.

Hello I was just curious about an entire idea and if anyone had any critiques or ways to improve this style of writing fighting:

Note: This is designed for long fights, like duels or big ones in skirmishes, junctions, etc.

So how I have decided to write fighting, I've decided to do this (I will give full examples at the end):
  • Use an random number generator
    • For Defensive actions I use one 1-20, less or equal to than 10 hitting and higher than 10 missing
    • For Damage taken I use 1-10
  • I use buffs and weaknesses accordingly
    • I buff/weaken attacks based on strengths/weaknesses of opponent and myself with number values
  • I sometimes just null values and take no damage if it's like the first move
  • I sometimes take damage regardless if I've escaped it too long: ~1 post of no damage, Ill take damage guaranteed on the second (so nobody thinks I'm just in god mode)
  • Surprise attacks get buffed by +3 to chances of hitting
    • Though for example for Tod (one of my characters), it would go down to +1 because he has a strength as a trickster himself
  • I use a health of 20 each fight
    • There are execution/heavy blows that can end it, but I may just dodge/partially dodge these if I don't want to die yet
    • If I get punched in the foot and I have 1 hp left in my pool, it basically will be a -1 to all dodging (after all traits factored) instead of damage as it makes no sense to just go down from that
    • Mech suits can up to double add/take away from onto defenses
      • Have their own health pool of 10 (Halved so I can fight you like a man)
  • I do bleed damage
    • Bleed/Poison/etc. will do up to +2 tics of damage per turn not dealt with
  • Fire damage:
    • Up to 6 tics of damage per turn based on how armor is (Extreme defense - 0 damage ; None - +7 ; Average - +3)
  • Weapon damage (These vary based on strengths or weaknesses of character and weapon)
    • Basically +0 for fists and shrapnel, +1 for blasters/guns and basic melee weapons, +2 for lightsabers or anything similar, +3 for explosives/explosive rounds
    • I'll take into account if the weapon has damage output at different values above average with a -4 (none) to +3 (extreme) of damage taken
  • Sometimes I do 'special events' where I get broken ribs or concussions based on the damage taken and where, but these are random
  • Similar for flying
For example if I use one of my characters Todblaz Graker, in this case inside of his Ranger Armor
  • Someone throws a punch:
    • I roll a 6/20
      • If I dodge (due to having agility as a strength) I use a +5 BUT if someone with higher agility like a Jedi (that doesn't state they have lowered agility) this drops to a +3, same agility doesn't affect it
      • If I fight back with a punch I get an automatic -5 to dodging, -3 if I have greater agility, though this goes more into play if someone like Tod throws a punch
    • Final Roll calculation:
      • Normal opponent: 6+5 = 11 (Successful Dodge)
      • Opponent with Higher Agility: 6+3 = 9 (Unsuccessful Dodge)
    • Lets say they hit, then I would score damage (Lets say I roll a 3/10)
      • In this case it depends where they aim
        • Places strong to that damage: up to -3 to damage (1 for each defense level in technology)
        • Armpits, back of knees, anywhere minimally guarded: 0
        • Places weak to that specific damage: up to +3 (1 for each defense level in technology)
      • If this were in the chestplate (Extreme rating): 3-3 = 0 (No damage)
      • Place that's weak (place with an effective none rating): 3+3 = 6 ; 6 (+/- 2 based on if the place is important, ie: Leg -2 ; head +2) = 6 (6 tics of damage taken from pool of 20)
  • This can also go the reverse direction (Lets say I'm playing as Tod (me) and fighting Zod (Tod's evil twin with same traits) again):
    • Zod shoots at me
      • Zod has a Cowboy strength, so that would be +5 to revolvers and +3 to rifles (read description of strength for why) and a +0 to any other weapons
    • I roll an 10/20
      • Shot with revolver: 10+5 (adding agility) = 15 ; 15-5 = 10 (Hit)
      • Shot with Rifle: 10+5 (adding agility) = 15 ; 15-3 = 12 (Dodge)
      • Shot with anything else: 10+5 (adding agility) = 15 ; 15-0 = 15 (Dodge)
    • Damage would be a combination of weapon damage and resistance strength of armor
I'm posting this for any advice on how to improve it/hear criticisms of. Also I saw OTHERMOTH OTHERMOTH 's post on this which made me curious.

A man can change his stars
Star wars chaos, is not a hard numbers system. It's always been an open forum, interpretative writing form that doesn't use dice rolls. This isn't a TTrpg. It's a writing forum.

Sure, use whatever numbers you wish to use, but you are extremely limiting yourself to these hard numbers when no one else does this.

the use of dice is actually quite fun for those who enjoy it. i think it would be a fun duel having combat outcomes be based on dice if you find someone who enjoys such systems as well (and even better if there was a GM involved)

D20 Nat 1 and 20s can be absolutely fun to write. It doesn't have to be necessarily limiting unless the dice is only for u, and not the other partner.

Star wars chaos, is not a hard numbers system. It's always been an open forum, interpretative writing form that doesn't use dice rolls. This isn't a TTrpg. It's a writing forum.

Sure, use whatever numbers you wish to use, but you are extremely limiting yourself to these hard numbers when no one else does this.
That's why I only use it during big events like Invasions where it's a little more serious and important, I really don't see a point in using it in a basic public or first reply thread. But I use it for fairness on my end, if the other person just God modes or does whatever, I don't really mind (I may not write with them again, but they are full within their right to do it). So if the other person is unfair/a little overskilled it doesn't matter, this is just so I can make it fair for them.

the use of dice is actually quite fun for those who enjoy it. i think it would be a fun duel having combat outcomes be based on dice if you find someone who enjoys such systems as well (and even better if there was a GM involved)

D20 Nat 1 and 20s can be absolutely fun to write. It doesn't have to be necessarily limiting unless the dice is only for u, and not the other partner.
Ya I thought about doing Nat 20s and 1s but didn't know how to implement them because of the range of numbers, because they are basically both automatic miss/hits respectively. Maybe in the future someone will suggest something really interesting I could do something, but as of rn I have nothing for it. Maybe do like a kickflip during Nat 20s and not land it on Nat 1s.

Thanks for the breakdown. I'll give this a shot in the background in a duel down the line, maybe a little more simplified version of it.
Go straight ahead and do whatever you like with it, if you make any good or great improvements that would be great! (Also you can use it because my patent is still pending)

If it's something you want to use on your end, I don't think there's ever a problem with that. But I also wouldn't let rolls keep you from going for what's most fun to write. If your opponent's post gives you a very fun idea but your own roll "forces" you in another direction, then what do you really gain by following it?

Rolls can also give you streaks of defensive success, to a point where it might feel like you're not taking hits, even if you fully intend to if the rolls had been different. Will that still make the fight fun?

It could, depending on how you use it, but I'd always put story before mechanics. I personally have used d20's in all sorts of RP scenarios, from fights to social interactions, and usually just to add a bit of randomness to the story. Not so much to really determine the progression of an entire scene.

Your system is not so far from a casual Star War method for Rp.

Each player has a base health based on Rank. Master: 15, Knight: 10, App: 5.

Using a single d20 Roll for an initiative of who attacks first. Each player attacks and then defends each rolling for each attack and defense. The high roll wins. If the defender wins the roll no HP is lost, if the attack wins the roll 1 HP is taken.

This can be expanded in various ways, getting buffs, adding crits, and crit failures.

Its not a bad system. I don't mind it.
But I'm not sure people on the Site will ever use dice rolls other than in niche situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom