Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you handle losing streaks?

There are a lot of League players on this site, but this can apply to any competitive game where dying/losing has a negative effect.

I've been on a long losing streak recently. The problem with team games is that losing tends to involve a lot more spite and vitriol than losing in a solo game does. In MOBA games (League, Dota, and the like) this can mean that even a simple mistake you make can draw ire from your teammates, who then put you down repeatedly. This whole thing contributes to a negative spiral of emotion that leads to you playing worse both in that game and in other games after it.

Insert commentary of going "on tilt" here.

My question to you is how do you handle it? How do you approach a bunch of bad games in a row? There's no right answer here. I'm just milking the community mind to find ways of helping me through a bad week. Do you just stop playing and hope that downtime magically helps? Do you try to look for the good in your losses? Or do you do something completely different and esoteric.

I am accepting all answers up to vision quests and soul-searching in the desert wastes; last time I did that I got my toe bitten off by a coyote and some guy in a trench coat and a ten-gallon hat tricked me into buying this weird blue stuff that gave me hives when I rubbed it on my skin like he told me to.

I never lose more than two in a row before I stop for several hours (if it's early in the day). If it's late at night, I just stop, rest, and then try again the next day. If I get on a terrible losing streak, I find a duo partner and roll that way. Having someone else you trust on the team often helps you get back in the grooooove

When I am losing in a game I take a breath... play something else and come back to it with fresh eyes and just have fun. While winning can be important I would rather play a game with friends and have fun.

Yeah I usually just back away from the game for awhile when I get fed up with it. But I don't usually play team games where your mates are counting on you. The only time I've ever done that was playing TOR, and you don't really lose that often. Or at least not badly enough where someone get's blamed and the rest hop on the bandwagon.

So perhaps I'm not the best source, but usually backing away for a moment after getting fed up with anything works, even just a couple minutes. Get up. Get some water. Play something mind numbingly unstressful and get back in it (and like what sarge said, with a friend).

Also, if you're a high level, I think doing a mission or something that is way underclassed for you may be kinda relaxing, all that carnage of hopeless NPC's. But that may just be me.

Ashin Varanin said:
What is this 'losing' of which you speak?
Ashassin.png

I just go back to a game I'm really good at for awhile. It's a lot like when my muse fails me for one of my creative outlets. There have only been a few times where I find myself failing at everything. Can't write? Play piano. Trouble feeling the music? Doodle. That fails? Sad music, tea, pets. Gets me right back to it. A good night of sleep helps to.

When a game is getting me I just go into Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, make a new character, and shoot out console commands like there's no tomorrow. Crushing innocents under my foot while annihilating helpless guards always cheers me up.

And if people give you crap, try to remind yourself we all go through slumps (all kinds of slumps). All of those asshats (and non-asshats) have had bad days before. Bad weeks, even bad months, as well. More importantly you've had your good days. Days where everyone is a novice compared to your almighty peasant-crushing skills. Or at least something that felt like that.

When all else fails, drink some tea, coffee, or alcohol. Whatever you prefer. Then blast some music of your choice, make fun of TV commercials, throw a one-person party, or just do something that'll get your mind off it. Blowing off some steam at the gym is always good (if one has a gym membership). Punching bags are your friend.

*shrugs*
May the lords of competitive activities give you their blessing again soon.

Grimm

You get better, study a champion that you like and advance with training. Practice farming and learn to win by yourself. Watch some skilled players, they have some cool builds, umm try new builds and have fun with champs. Lose on purpose, be the troll....i JUNGLE ANNIE ON PURPOSE. One more thing, its just a stupid game at times. So stop caring, if you keep losing....uninstall the game. NoobLord!!!

[member="Fabula Cavataio"]

I don't play competitive video games, but in LOTRO, I'll run into that problem where a boss quest keeps beating me and I have no way of circumventing it. Usually, when that happens, I port and ride my way back to Bree and hang out in the Prancing Pony to some rp. Makes me remember what truly makes the game fun.

Questing and grinding is simply tog met better cosmetics to help enhance the story I create through rp.

Mantorok

M
I don't handle the losing streak very well, the wooden panel of my bed's headboard sits right where I'm playing and I fairly wail on it in my rage.
I'm actually on Ranked hiatus right now, it's been a few weeks but when I feel confident I'll be back.

[member="Fabula Cavataio"]

The first thing you need to do is stop playing the game. No matter what you do, no matter what advice you take, no matter how serious you take it, you need to just stop playing. Your on tilt and frustrated, so now you don't think clearly which leads only to worse game performance. You need to not play the game for at least a week, let yourself reset and clear your mind of your concerns. Next start playing a new game altogether, one that is not similar to the one you are playing. Watch_Dogs, Skyrim, Shogun 2, Online Chess, Minecraft, Battlefield, COD, Assassin's Creed, Dishonored (Free with xbox gold this month), or whatever. Play the single player and try to enjoy it, don't get competitive with it. Next when you jump back in, before you do eat something you like beforehand. Then, and this important, make sure you are in a good mood then start drinking alcoholic beverages, don't go overboard though, you need to be able to play the game. Alcohol is a mood enhancer, so if your relaxed and in a good mood you will become more relaxed and in a better mood. I find it helps me give a poodoo less when I lose. Finally, and I'm not saying this to be mean, but you may need to accept you now just suck at it. I used to be the original Call of Duty Badass, and I mean THE original, like we are talking 20-30 plus kills with 1-2 deaths a match. Then two months after Modern Warfare 2 I could not get a K/D or win ratio over .5 for the life of me. The moral of this story is to learn to move along and find another game franchise. While that is an extreme, you may have to come to terms with it.

Sometimes you can only hope you'll get better, and thats as good the whole situation is gonna get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom