Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you handle Level 100 Syndrome?

How do you handle Level 100 Syndrome?

• Kill the character off

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • Retire them to NPC status

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Just leave them on the back burner - maybe I'll get interested again in a few months

Votes: 26 44.8%
  • Start a new character

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • Keep rotating between old characters so they stay halfway interesting

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • Keep grinding on with one character

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Revamp the character a little - new appearance, IC name change

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Revamp the character a lot - partial retcon, change species

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Other (talk about it)

Votes: 7 12.1%

• Total voters

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Probably all of those things. *checks all the boxes*

Best Supporting Actor

The thought of becoming a reoccurring character in someone else's RP always fascinates me too. Every story needs it's Gandalf to hang around and offer sage advice and a good deal of magic items to the up-n-coming heroes. So whenever a character gets to Level 100, I like to think of them as having graduated to the, 'You are now qualified to be an interesting NPC for someone else's story', Club. Lol. Even if that just means being a Jedi/Sith Teacher for the rest of your career.

Besides. I'm like the only person on the board who thinks of my characters as the 'hero'. To everybody else? My characters are just the supporting cast running alongside their hero's journey. So. It's nice to actually embrace that idea once and a while, and run with it. :D

Abigail

A
[member="Karen Roberts"]

In my case, I'm doing quite possibly the slowest Revan move possible, just gaining power as I go on living in a new timeline xD

I view Reaku as my "badass renegade" archtype PC

The Dark Man is still beyond a doubt my favourite character. I yearn to RP him, but to do what? I completed his story arc. I didn't have specific goals in mind but a general thought. I finished it, and so I let him die. Not enough characters die.

But saying that; I feel there is a stigma to those that revive characters. I'm responsible for doing it, Ex. Hasjo Hallu aka Darth Vidar (Lysle wasn't dead, I've said it a thousand times, his death was largely assumed. I never RP'ed that he died). Every man to his own, and if someone feels they made a bad decision in throwing away one of their characters, who are we to frown upon it? RP allows us to relax and experience joy in the form of co-operative storytelling. Using our favorite characters just makes it so much more easier to do this. So if someone brings back their character, I think it is perfectly fine (Just pl0x make sure it makes sense).

This is a universe where tiny sentient T-rex's transfer consciousness into machines, Indiana Jones (literally) meets Han Solo / Chewbacca, an astromech jedi, and a sentient mountain on Endor that cries and is justly named Mount Sorrow. I think someone coming back to life is the least weird of things this universe has produced.

I have no doubt in my mind I will want to write Silara again, but at this point - for now - I cannot see her without Alric. This means as of right now she is not suitable for being an active Sith Lord, a teacher, anything. For the remainder of what time Alric has in this galaxy, that's all she wants to be doing is being with him, and even though I love writing out little role-plays with sitting on a couch and just talking, it gets stale, and I know his writer probably wants something else - I know as much, at least - so in the meantime I've made Lily, one twin of two, that will be my primary character from now on

Silara wasn't ever supposed to be my main PC, just the catalyst for the one that would be - I think I've bored a few friends to death saying such through the last 8 months that I've tried to come up with a reason to get rid of her, but couldn't. So maybe she will show up a few months or years down the road, but for now she's being written out of the book, so to speak. I think open-ended cutoffs for the 'level 100 syndrome' are the better choices, as I don't think a death fits for boredom unless the storyline actually calls for it.

This is a problem that I faced with this character. Unlike [member="Darth Ayra"]/[member="Alicia Drey"] I've done pretty much everything I wanted to do with this character on another board. I've tried to do a new thing, revolving the character around being a Dark Jedi as opposed to a Sith Lord, but I have found it difficult to do that on this board.

The fortunate thing is that I won't do what I want to do with Ayra/Alicia for a long time and I have [member="Ella Nova"] to explore as well if I get bored, so I have options. But I can't see myself writing Vilox on a consistent basis for a long time. Maybe the odd showing here and there.

Karen Roberts said:
The thought of becoming a reoccurring character in someone else's RP always fascinates me too. Every story needs it's Gandalf to hang around and offer sage advice and a good deal of magic items to the up-n-coming heroes. So whenever a character gets to Level 100, I like to think of them as having graduated to the, 'You are now qualified to be an interesting NPC for someone else's story', Club. Lol. Even if that just means being a Jedi/Sith Teacher for the rest of your career.

I love doing this. Two of the NPCs in the Yavin Academy/Port Shardrock codex sub are longtime PCs of mine that ran their course years ago -- Ember Rekali and Iara Clane Beorht. There's a decent chance I'll turn Shule, Kash/Rave, and maybe even Ashin into NPCs at some point. It can be fun to play a character you've written for ten or twelve or fifteen years, but level 100 syndrome is reeeeal.

Mia, Anaya and Rosa are my three oldest characters on this board and probably the ones I have the most love for. Mia and Anaya i've contemplated killing, succeeded (though unplanned) with mia and found myself unable to let her go. So I went for a revemp. Anaya remains on the back burner, popping up now and again, highly likely she will die because she's not a character I see being changed, but i've yet to determine how or when or why.

Rosa on the other hand is probably the character I've had most difficulty with. Killing her has never been an option, she's too tied in to another PC's story that killing her would be unfair, considering the time and effort we've put into developing a relationship, so i went for a revamp. Took her out of the RP and am working through a solo with her not only to find my muse in her again, but also to rediscover the character.

I don't think I've ever really reached 'level 100'. Maybe I got close with Ven. Some people have joked about her being one of the strongest NFUs on the board, but I never really knew if they were being even 2% serious about that. But I got bored with Ven. Even if she was only level 93 or whatever. There was a point just a month ago that I wanted to keep 'leveling her up'. Then I just... I realized that she wasn't fun anymore. Part of me thinks that it was 'level 93' syndrome or a 'to much experience needed to level up' kind of thing. I've never had big, powerful characters that people talk about, that few want to fight out of fear or whatever. That doesn't bother me. I think I'd be terribly surprised if I ever got anyone to that point, to be honest.

What would I do if I reached that point? I'd have the character sit upon their throne (aka a lounge chair) and I'd ponder about new ways to screw them over. Even titans get knocked around. Maybe I'd kick them off their seat and watch them tumble back to the bottom. Not just revamp them. Nope. Just put them in a spot where they're forced to start over. Now, in 5-10 whatever years, when I've been roleplaying these characters for a long time, maybe then my feelings about it will change. For now I'll just enjoy writing these idiots. I'm sure that if they ever get boring... I'll have another idea waiting for me, just around the corner.

Mirus has hit level 100 twice.

I can talk about this on different characters, but I'll keep it relevant to this one, since Mirus has seen multiple incarnations in multiple universes.

The first Mirus went through a drastic change in mindset after he encountered [member="Nessarose deWinter"] - his evolution from her was his first 100. He was more the warrior-type. He then switched his focus to Alchemy from there, which brought him to the cookies-running Mirus that some of you know and love. (Speaking of, I need to work that corporation in somehow).

The second level 100... well, he was already powerful enough. Alchemy, etc. But he was very one-sided. So I drew on the parts of another, existing Mirus and used the backstory he already has; Transfer Essence, new body, new ideas, new mindset. More or less a total restart, but at Master-level.

Alen has pretty much hit Level 100, and has been there for some time. So what's next? Give him everything he's ever wanted (inner peace, a child), a couple more glorious last stands to supplement his fading glory, and let him fade away into more of a supporting character. Laura will become my main and receive my full attention until she reaches her peak. A nice, gentle cycle.

Darkside Dragon (Dead PM Writers Account)
[member="Jorus Merrill"]

All of the above!

I tried to do a mashup with Raien with the crystal approach and losing parts of himself, so he'd more fit the standard knight rank here. Jury is still out how it came off, but it did allow me to tie in several character plots together. in the end though I like to do sunset endings, tragic endings or cliffhangers (so you are not sure what happened.) Raien its a slowing being eaten/becoming his armor ending, with some twists of course.

Some brave people do a wipe being severed from the force for example, or another option is to reset yourself for various reasons, perhaps switching alignment entirely, if you just wanted to really start from scratch, or a memory wipe. Cuting yourself off from the force is going to be a heck of a character twist (or finding it from scratch).

Every one of my characters has an ending planned ;), except for my newest ones as I am not into their muse enough yet.

[member="Jorus Merrill"]

Kinda think you might know how I voted. :)

My very first character on these boards, and the only one I had for a long time. I had put a lot of effort into her story, and enjoyed every minute of it. But her story had gone as far as I could take it. I never wanted Iella to go dark side, it would never have been true to her to do so. But I had found myself in a rut and in RP repeating the same thing over again. So, I ended it with her death and decided to give her the best send off for her in sacrificing her life for another in true Jedi style and to the best of my abilities. Thank you [member="Darth Vornskr"] (cuddles) you are brilliant!

This gave me the opening to introduce her daughter, who had been about since her birth and has already a good solid story arc and will only get bigger I hope.

As for Coci, I had played her on other boards, she was never a FU. I had RPed her there for a long time but again I reached the stage where I could go no further with her. So I killed her there too. But I missed her, very much and here I could do what I always wanted for her and make her a Jedi. She is very different to the old Coci and I must say I am enjoy her new character much more.

Iella will always be precious to me, and if I do wish to RP her again I can, as she has joined the living force. But I doubt I will.

Iella E'ron said:
Thank you Darth Vornskr (cuddles) you are brilliant!

tumblr_mw3gg9WArl1sgl0ajo1_500.gif

Let them get capture and something happens that changes them where they start over, but as the complete opposite. RP that for a while and then whatever happened gets reversed and they have conflicting sides.

Or make them a support character like a dad or mentor.

Or go out more realistically. Everyone kills their character in a duel or some blaze of glory, but to me that makes your character seem like they are seeking death. If you want to kill your character, do I protecting someone or something you love and a large feuneral where all the people your character has touched are there to say goodbye. Touching really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom