Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you get yourself back into writing?

Last week I asked y’all what factors killed off your muse, so this week I figured I’d ask how you get it back. After a long break from writing, what do you do to get yourself back to the keyboard to put some stories out?

​I write an alien. An alien that was conceptualised as a sort of big bad, xenophobe. So, I revisit what brought me to the inspiration for the character in the first place. I play Halo 2, to enjoy Tartarus; the Hammer swinging Brute. I play Gears, to get a sense of scale and menace from the Locust leader General RAAM, and I watch Infinity War and soon I'll be watching Endgame again; to enjoy the methodical and righteous cruelty of the mad titan.

​So, I just enjoy what brought me to the character in the first place. To reinvigorate my muse.

In the downtime that I'm afforded: I go back and fourth between Gaming on the PS4, to my PC and SWRP Chaos.

As it happens, I'm struggling a little to completely immerse myself thanks to real life circumstance; however it always helps to have good friends and a good faction to fall back on. Before it was Commenor, now it's the Silver Jedi. There's always an opportunity to get drawn into some sort of thread there, even if ambition is lacking. It helps to know the opportunity is always there with good people who want to write with you.

I suppose I have to believe that my muse will return in full force when things calm down on the outside.

If I've been away, I usually end up getting back into RP by lurking, and otherwise chatting with fellow RPers that I've had significant plots and character relationships with. I'm fortunate to have long-time writing partners who are happy to pick things up whether it's been months, a year, or more, because they are as invested in the depth and breadth of our stories.

We all know that our lives are or can get busy, and so if one of us vanishes for a while, we simply write other characters or maintain that the link is still there while they're absent.

Loyalty to your co-writers is important. They're more than just co-writers, they're friends, and roleplay has bonded you. Honor that.

Ditto music, because I'm a shallow creature. I make a playlist for a character, listen to it for like an hour or until inspiration strikes, then dive in without reservation and see where that takes me.

Sometimes it helps to write with someone totally new, or a really old friend I haven't talked to in a while. Force me to think on my feet. Best way to get to know a character is to put them into a situation they weren't designed to be in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom