Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Holojournals: Voyage to Cosm's Well (Amea, open to OPA, SJO, and Spacers Guild)

Shira Varanin

S
col-price-trading-hub1s.jpg

source

Our friends on the farm world tipped us off to a trading post deep in the core of Cosm's Well. The station orbits a sullen old red supergiant ten thousand times bigger than most habitable worlds' system primaries.

The science officers tell me the technological and biological diversity here is far outside the galactic norm. I've disbursed high-value trade goods among the passengers and crew with strict orders to bring back the strangest things they can find, and keep some portion for themselves.

If Katarn brings back another alien girl I may legitimately shoot him. With this, if I can figure out where the trigger is.

nikolay-temnikov-3.jpg

source

Cei Kyros Amea Virou Amea Virou Bok Bwi'kan Bok Bwi'kan Griet van Vliet Griet van Vliet Seydon of Arda Seydon of Arda Vyri Kelsie Sylvan Kelsie Sylvan

Tobias Katarn

T
My rule for finding the most interesting trades is start with the most interesting people. For example:

deiv-calviz-david-villegas-humanoid-alien-06-illustration-deiv-calviz.jpg

source

She had all kinds of options to offer and she wanted what I had too. We shared a couple shots of this and she sold me the bottle.

kevin-zamir-goeke-gwt-skt-gsd-014-kg.jpg

source

I added a drop to the shuttle's fuel tank which, appropriately enough, did wild things to the heat signature.

Cei Kyros

C
0BgfpOu.jpg

source

Maybe it was just my empty stomach but when Shira Varanin sent us out foraging the first thing on my mind was perishables. What can I say? Local cuisine seemed like a good idea at the time. Should have known that deal was too good to be true. Anyway long story short I need to fix the Baobab's waste disposal systems before Amea Virou Amea Virou gets back or I'm gonna have an awkward conversation about stress tolerances.

0M93oXC.jpg

source

I did find one interesting item before hightailing it back to the ship. Traded an old crate of self sealing stem bolts for this baby. Its a workbench...with legs! Instruction manual says its got repulsorlifts too but I haven't worked that part out yet. Gonna program it to chase Kelsie Sylvan Kelsie Sylvan around the lower decks as a trial run. Oh, I've named him Buddy. I wonder if I could record a sample of Jend-Ro Quill Jend-Ro Quill without him noticing and tweak the vocabulator settings.

Dank ferrik! Gotta go, Tobias Katarn just got back and apparently his shuttle is on fire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shambhala-class Science Vessel Baobab
19:44 Coruscant Standard Time
Day 12

The bothan gave me some Meiloorun juice. Well, that was what it smelled like anyways. I thanked him politely, but there's no way I'm drinking it. Asked the scientists to do a discreet check on it. Whatever he put in there, I'm not drinking it.

Even if it's clean I probably won't drink it. It's kinda gross.

gp4gpPuxF3T1p_49iyam0ffhsJc7l7uvCeis_tg_CS0.jpg

We arrived in a small trading post. Set into a small grouping of asteroids in a system with one hell of a crazy star. Has every alien I've ever heard of and a few dozen more that I haven't. Maybe this was a refuge for people during the reign of the Empire. Still, living way out here meant there had to be something of value -- Varanin let us wander, so I took the time to look around the station. I think I lost track of time; must have been hours before I found it.

Turns out the asteroid field harbored a specialized life form unique to this system. The vendor described it as a sort of 'super-root'. Claimed it could cure any disease, better than bacta for healing balms, and a dozen other things. I pressed her a bit, and she finally described it as similar to the shrinkroot found on Endor, used in shrinkroot potions. I thought those things were myths, but then a tiny man walked through a little door at the end of the counter. Apparently the vendor is his daughter, and he took a potion of it that shrunk him down. Something about allowing himself to live longer. They wouldn't part with their trade secrets, but I bought a crate of the roots and three bottles of their potion. I'll have it analyzed later, but I have the tech to study the root a bit on my own. Asked around the station a bit, turned out this was the real deal and a lot of the elderly here decide to shrink themselves down. Makes life a lot easier on the kids. Turns out the imports from that farm world we were just at aren't cheap. No wonder they wanted to cut costs.

I'll definitely come back for more -- there's got to be a trillion uses for this. Still, it's a good thing that this stuff's hidden away. If this were in the hands of... well, any major power, they could probably make their rivals collapse overnight, especially with the size-reversion potion I bought.

Well, that one might be phony, but I'm sure it's possible to reverse engineer this stuff. If I had Missy I'd do it myself... maybe I'll track down Locke, get a meeting, see what he can do. Don't know a lot of other scientists, and he's a nice guy.

anatoly-k-logo2.jpg

Bought a few other things -- gorgeous antimatter rifle. They asked me to pay extra if I wanted to try it out in the firing range, but the rounds for this thing were so expensive I didn't have enough (I wanted to stock up, ammo for these doesn't come cheap). Still, checked out the mechanisms. Seemed like an average disruptor at first, so I thought the shopkeep was trying to upsell me, but one look at the firing chamber told me everything I needed to know.

Spotted the captain lugging a pretty whacky gun onboard, too, so I guess I'm not the only one.

Didn't have to wait long to test it out. There was some screeching and repeating of a weird phrase in an old man's voice -- Jend-Ro Quill Jend-Ro Quill 's, I think. This freaky droid came after me and started chasing me. Turned the rifle on it, and it disintegrated completely after a single shot. Some sketchy Duros came in a minute later, Cei Kyros. I didn't ask if it was his droid. Crazy xeno. Droids are stupid sometimes, but I kriffing love this new gun.

This cute kid, Tobias Katarn, came in trying to sneak this scaly girl on board. Asked what he was doing, all he told me was not to tell Varanin. From what I heard later I'm pretty sure Varanin found out anyways. Lover's quarrel, maybe? I'm not one to judge.

Think I had fun here. Honestly, this little corner of the galaxy is beautiful. Part of me wants to stay, settle down, live a normal life. Don't know what's holding me back, but when I watched the station slip away and the hyperspace lines appear I just knew that I'd never see it again.

Well, probably not. Need more shrink root, and ammo.

Journal entry end.

Bok Bwi'kan

Just Your Average Trader Joe
tets.jpg
In my line of work you start to recognize a lot of useful places and things, it's not just about listening to the conversations that your able to hear,but also looking at the body language of other species to try to understand what they are saying. The boss said gave us orders to find something "strange" but strange here must be normal, the abnormality of the glaring red supergiant was definitely off putting at the least, however to see life revolve around it wasn't so abnormal. Things were not at all as they seemed around here, I had to do some poking around at first to see if I could get my hands on anything worth while, but the crew had already seemingly done their job rather well, grabbing things both for the purpose of the objective and for their very own satisfaction.

I felt like a rat scurrying around the area, just looking for something valuable to get my hands on, it was such a large place within itself, so many back alleyways small stalls and then a cantina or two. So I do what I do best, working my way around until the cantina. That is truly where the magic begins, alot of beings with loose lips and even looser pockets to dip my hands into. Eventually I had gathered enough information about a few shops located just outside of what seems to be some sort of larger "Restaurant" I'll admit that was a rather long walk to this area, but worth it in the end, each shop had a unique sale going on with different stock, out here their must not be to many rules, as I was unsure what exactly was going on, but it looked like some sort of trafficking ring going on.

However that was not my motives for acquiring the location of this place. I had been informed that there were some small arms dealers around this area, allow me to possibly see what the locals were manufacturing and distributing. Seems out in these parts the locals have access to some rather rare materials and better yet ever rarer! the mind for a good bargain. I could tell you that out here the law was not so strict or better then that needed, yet the people seemed to enact their own form of law. I witness that when a poor fool tried to steal some product from one on the stalls, POOF! like that he was just ash in a pile that was cleaned up by some sort of cleaner bot. Unphased I wandered my way through the larger crowds towards my goal. Just like that I went from rather tight, confined and almost claustrophobic spaces to this open almost empty area with a few wandering buyers and traders browsing the wears within this discreet location.
f20tzqis4mt31.png

I had to go through so many twist and turns, back alleys and star ways till I reached this place, but in the end it was worth it. Products sold here were even more strange then the ones in the busy alleyways and crowded streets. Eventually I got my eyes on a stranger selling these discrete and unique weapons for a rather hefty price. However he did let me test it on a small makeshift shooting range. Highly accurate with a decent fire rate, and a solid magazine before it needs to be cooled, this was like heaven to me however the price was rather lucrative, so I had to work some magic to get a solid deal on it.

At first I played coy with the distributor, trying my best to try and squeeze some extra information out of him. Learning that he and one of his competitors were right across from one another I devised a plan. Using my own blaster I would attempt to shoot and kill, obviously miss the rival competitor all while placing the evidence on the proprietor of the weapon I want. Within a few moments a full on war had broken out between the two and I had slipped away with both my own blaster and this fancy new one.

Yet I was not fully satisfied, I needed to find something worthwhile to bring back to the ship before we set off and left. So I devised a quick thinking plan to bring aboard some crates of ammo for the crew, but also for myself of course and then a few crates of much needed materials and supplies that would be useful for pathwork repairs or modifications to not just the ship but weapons,armor hell even droids. This however did come at a price well it did come at a price, until I shop the dealer in the face, but oh well what do you expect he was shifty his eye was squinting to much, didn't like it and didn't want anyone to go squealing. So all in all I made off with a new weapon some crates of supplies and a few extra credits to my name thanks to my "Special" tactics. You know this place ain't all that bad, it's a rough living though, you start to see that the further you get out the stranger things get, but also the "diversity" is more about technology over species, sure its all new and that, but the real understanding here is that Tech and Credits still seem to hold the most weight out here, similar to the rest of the galaxy.

On a side note I do hope the boss don't get to mad about the extra crates of supplies I smuggled...uhhh I mean obtained through perfectly legal means. They are expensive to come by, especially this far out. This may be a science ship, but it's still a ship and they can encounter issues every now and again plus the "Security" would need some ammunition incase they ever did run out...or the other crates went missing. So far everything is all accounted for, well I sure have not taken anything...yet at least, but we will have to wait and see what happens after all it's my job to "acquire" goods. Thanks to this trip though I know realize how much value lies out this way, maybe i'll come back later and get some rare products to sell to the cartels, they are always looking for new product to make some quick credits from.

“More than a curio,” The shawled shopkeeper intoned, turning the bizarre fetish over in her narrow hands. “A sign, and evidence besides!”

“Of what?” Seydon asked. A sharp, darkly lacquered nail wagged under his nose. Her eyes, blue as comet stardust, shined with manifold light that bloomed warmly from within.

“Some would think they were pushed to extinction, but the old ways survive. And here, beyond the remit of those sexless monks wrapped up in their stuffy piety and boring ascetism,” The shopkeeper sneered venomously. “Out here in the Well, they in fact thrive.”

He looked past her shoulder, at a decorative set of well-polished and dusted plaques anchored to the striped walling just behind her rugged, nail-bit counter. A half-dozen lightsaber hilts, in varying states of vicious dismantle, hung like broken trophies. Seydon glanced at the shopkeeper’s earrings; nondescript, small crimson gems bound in thin gold lattices but exactingly cut and burnished. Focussing crystals, he thought. The light in her eyes turned darker shadows where the colour seemed to blacken. Her smile was small and tight with secrets. He felt a kind of wind tug at his nape as the shadows of her shop cavorted at the edges of his sight.

“It’s function?” Seydon pressed.

“Manifold,” She answered, her fingernails gliding over the clutched crystal, producing a clear, ringing note. “It was made to benefit those with imagination. It’s been waiting here, under successive keepers, for someone appropriate to take ownership.”

“But not freely,” He chuckled.

“Oh, no. …But I’d like something else than gold,” Said the shopkeep. Her eyes appraised the Dunaan before her, standing with steely foreboding and hauntingly bright cat-eyes. “Yes. A trade. I’m interested to see what your imagination can drum up for an exchange…”

After a beat, Seydon reached and yanked the Korriban compass hanging from his throat.

~

Later, as Shira Varanin tended to captaining duties simultaneously wrestling with the latest fallout from Tobias’ mischief, a package landed at her desk. Inside thin paper bound by catgut string was a desiccated hand severed roughly at the stump of its wrist, still fleshy round the bones of its knuckles, latched for all time around a crystalline vial pulsating with sickly corposant light. From underneath the hand, a note slipped free.

Related to arcana. What it does, I’m not sure. Don’t keep it close. - S

dq9fkd-8483624d-cc63-4ac1-9188-9292d857deae.jpg

The goddamn book I bought.
(source)​
Weapons. That seems to be what everyone was interested in for the stop. I don’t hold it against them but it feels so short-sighted. A gun is a gun, just like any other gun. Point it at a person and they die. Point it at a force-jockey and you probably find it sent back at you. It’s mundane, it’s boring and it adds nothing.

So, food? I tried the local cuisine, and lo’ and be-fething-hold, we’re right back to where I was last trip. Drink? Much the same. Not sure what it is but it’s as if my stomach just refuses whatever I try to down. It puts me in a bad mood, but I am doing my best to not let it slip into my work. I got back from our little excursion planetside with a new book to read. Or perhaps it would be more accurate to say several books.

Once again people turned their heads as I brought stuff aboard. Glared at one of the workers as they grinned at me and almost as if on instinct I had him downed before he even got up. Metaphorically, that is. I wouldn’t hit someone that didn’t deserve it, and this man clearly could not have known about the state of my stomach. Or at least I hope he wouldn’t.

So, there I was. Reading a book when the Incident A.I. forced me out of my deep dive into a language I can’t even comprehend. You know, the fun part in all this. What was the incident? First, some moron had opened the fuel hatch without the proper permissions. Second, waste management was malfunctioning.

I stormed out, ready to punch whoever responsible for either incident in the face.

At least the situation in waste had been resolved before I got there. The fuel situation, though… When I catch Katarn I might just have to— no.

No, I’ll let it slide. Kid’s a moron. Everone’s a goddamn moron. Feth everything, and especially feth this stomach ache and nausea.

An-Introduction-to-Capital-Structure-56a0933e5f9b58eba4b1adbe.jpg

Image Debit: Telcoplus' capital structure as a pie chart (green is equity, and the other colors are liability components)
"We're going to dispense with controls testing in accounts receivable, but we're still going with a mixture of controls-based and detail-based audit programs"

While the D'Qar facility went with lean manufacturing, the other facilities in Firefist haven't finished implementing it. That was the reason why tests of controls were warranted in the area of inventory. And, of course, the roll-back testing, which is a staple of inventory auditing. Now that the preliminary financial statements were made available to Griet and the engagement team, materiality calculations were then made on the spot, but since Telcoplus is highly leveraged, equity makes more sense. Usually, one would use a value between 2-5% of normalized EBIT, but total revenues or expenses (0.5-2% of either) can be used if the EBIT is too volatile or when the entity is marginally profitable, total assets (0.5-2%) when the company is in a highly capital-intensive industry, total equity (2-5%) when the entity is highly leveraged or otherwise plans on obtaining significant external financing. Oh and this is overall materiality: performance materiality is about how much of a misstatement one can let slide in a particular account without impacting in any serious manner the needs of the F/S users, and usually between one-half and two-thirds of the overall materiality. If there is only one area where the misstatements exceed the PM while the total effect of misstatements across all areas don't exceed the OM, sometimes an unqualified opinion can still be issued, although often a qualified opinion should be issued instead because it's not pervasive most of the time (outside of an inventory misstatement, in which case it would result in an adverse opinion).

"Sample sizes will be determined by the planning and performance materialities, outside of AR of course"

"Because of a complex capital structure, the risks they are facing and they're highly leveraged, I would highly recommend basing these on equity, and set overall materiality somewhere near 2% of equity. As for payroll, since labor costs are inventoriable, the same approach would be applied to payroll as one would inventory"

In the shrunk medical bay, Seydon had the remains of Tensin Ghul.

The body had been left in stasis preservation on a makeshift mortuary slab, preserved at his request and sequestered in a locked cell hastily furbished in the Baobab’s cold store lockers. During the silence of another long graveyard shift, restless with foul dreams, a plague of unknowable questions pecking feverishly at his wits, Seydon rose and retrieved Tensin Ghul from his chilly sleep. The scant crewmen tending to limited operations during the ‘overnight’ watch observed agog, Seydon pushing the small stasis barge down through the long deck halls, the body draped in darkly opaque plastic trembling and jerking at the declines and rises along the passages. Seydon felt like a peculiar ghost haunting the Baobab at that hour. He left his swords and kit behind in his quarters, after locking up his doors twice over. Some souls aboard, he knew, were very, very curious.

What remained of Tensin Ghul was suspended on an examination table, angled against scanner arrays dousing the body in cool, flickering ray-lights. Seydon tapped occasionally on a nearby console, altering and refining the scanner fields, drawing up details, comparing the contrasts, searching for all the tell-tale deviations. Genetic markers, blood makeup, deep, sub-cutaneous tissue samples of the musculature, bones, organs, peeling Tensin Ghul back atom by atom. He was doubtless mutated, but most of the mutagenic markers unique to the Trial of the Waters were lacking. He had more in common with ordinary Sithspawn, crudely hammered and nailed together in essence, an ersatz rhinestone when compared against true adamant. Seydon sealed the tissue samples into a vacuum-sealed canister, then consigned Tensin Ghul to incineration. Preparing the body, he paused at a feeling stippling the hairs on his neck and turned. A hairy shadow retreated from the partially opened portcullis leading into the medical bay. Seydon began hurrying, wanting whatever unknowable secrets Tensin Ghul had taken to his grave to remain there.

Later, with the smell of ash still pungent in his nostrils, Seydon retrieved his blades. There would be no rest tonight, he decided. He beelined for the aft hangar, to train in the fighting forms. Energy itched and ran up his frame, his thoughts equally eager, chasing after phantoms taunting him just at the edge of his senses. He had the scent of the hunt now. Face hooded in shadows, Seydon haunted and stalked down the long corridors, under partially dismantled ceiling panelling draping nests of bundled cabling and rungs of liquid exchange piping. Who had Tensin Ghul been? From whom did he take his collection of Dunaan medallions? How’d he get aboard? Who’d created him, set him on the warpath, all the way out here in Cosm’s Well? And just what would he himself do if he acquired any of those answers?

He paused by Jend-Ro Quill Jend-Ro Quill 's chambers, listening through the walls to the man snore deeply in his sleep. The hermit, for all his subterfuge and quiet aura of hoary menace, had a way of inciting remedies out of thin air. Seydon left him to sleep and dream. Tensin Ghul and whatever shadows had propelled him were his to hunt. He wouldn’t give up the chase, now that its taste was settled so firmly on his pallet. Can this ship fly any faster, Seydon thought?

Shira Varanin

S
I bounced a holocomm signal off a supernova to hit an OPA relay. ORION is hugely pleased with the scans of the gear my people snagged at the station bazaar.

Force traditions are unexpectedly rich here in Cosm's Well. A new example crossed our path. This group, the Shujora, trace their teachings to a former Jedi named Shon-Ju. They channel the Force almost exclusively through their hands as weapons. They hit much harder than any Jedi I've sparred with.

andreas-hechtfischer-durodar.jpg

source

Their Grandmaster, Kovrek, hails from a local Barabel-like species. He invited us to box with his acolytes in their training ground, both for fellowship and for competitive pride. Master Quill disappeared to have tea with their elders. Would have liked to see if he can fight.

matt-hancox-matt-hancox-training-grounds-04.jpg

source

The training ground is located on a barren little planet that orbits the same red supergiant. The Shujora have studied here since halfway through the 400-Year Darkness. They're good people with a path that's more aggressive than most Jedi would consider appropriate. I don't consider them Darksiders.

Let's see how my passengers and crew handle the opportunity to go a few rounds with alien boxing monks.

Cei Kyros Amea Virou Amea Virou Bok Bwi'kan Bok Bwi'kan Griet van Vliet Griet van Vliet Seydon of Arda Seydon of Arda Vyri Kelsie Sylvan Kelsie Sylvan

Last edited by a moderator:

Bok Bwi'kan

Good thing I had abstained from drinking for this event, if only my ma and pa were alive to see this. Ehhh actually better not keep disappointing them, this was a rather rough experience to fight alongside beings that fought with just pure skill and power, they have been doing it their entire life. Me on the other hand I was a good scrapper, but no where near a fair fight truth be told I don't fight fair myself who wants to fight fair when you have a blaster or a blade, it just makes this clean and quick! This on the other hand was not clean and quick, to be fair I got my ass kicked rather efficiently. Some blood small amount of tears due to the fact im pretty sure I broke a few bones or atleast fractured them trying a little to hard against these bas***ds. If anything it showed that I got heart, or i'm just stupid enough to get hurt, but really this was about learning from opponent best I could, three rounds in my face was a bloody mess, not only that but i'm pretty sure it was personally rearranged. That was until I finally got my hands on an equalizer, which without my argument was allowed to happen.

1903-6-539x761.JPG

Managed to get my hands on a staff, I mean it was not like I really had much of a choice, my ass was getting kicked, but i deserved it ahah! i tried my best to fight back and I did at one point actually. This beast started to tire cause I guess they never faced a Bothan before, we are pretty goddamn relentless and resilient. Here I was bloody face with large natural bruises around my body and what could be seen as a bone not sticking in the right place in my leg. I looked like shit and to maybe someone's concern I got my revenge for a few minutes, with the beast slowing down it gave me a chance to fight back, even if it looked like some broken punches and a few throws. Even grounding the big guy for a few seconds, but that was enough time for him to recuperate and he just unleashed this open palm strike that threw me across the room at a pace, FORCE!!! I tell you he was fighting me perfectly fine without his little force powers, but the minute I started to get some sort of upper hand after he had rearranged my face, but he resorts to the force.

So i grabbed myself what looked like a rack of staffs, well not the entire rack! Just one of the staffs for myself, it was a simple staff made from a sort of wood, maybe not even a wood, it was flexible and very resilient to forceful pressure. Anyway the fight stopped being a fair fight when he started to use the force, so I just started to fight with my own equalizer. Call it dramatic, call it entertainment HELL!! call it abuse, but that S.O.B had it comming and I was not backing down even with a bummed leg. Maybe to many's surprise I was actually well versed in martial arts with weapons, not so skilled in hand to hand combat, but when it came to weapons I had some rather decent experience.

We fought for at least an hour, that's not including the two rounds we have before that were "Fair" but he had me beat 2 rounds already,however IF! he didn't use his force strike, I might have had it at an equal 1 to 1, but no he had to be a sore loser and didnt wanna get beat by the small furry Bothan who had already had his assed shifted 10 inches to the left due to a big ugly MF! kicking and punching it that hard. This round was just for some payback due to that cowardly use of defence, and by any and all of those gods that some people worship I was not backing down this time even if it looked like some sort of slaughterhouse between us. The staff allowed me to keep him at some sort of different, his kicks still reached me and they were specifically aimed at my already busted leg. Like I said before he was big and the staff was more or less a sort of equalizer it helped for sure, I busted that ugly thing open twice upon his face, but he got the last laugh in the end. He had managed to disarm me, pulling me towards him and with one foul swoop he did another one of those open palm strikes.

Yeah he still got me in all 3 rounds, but I still got the last laugh... But enough of that anyway I got patched up and I'm currently just being watched over by some medical droids and people. Was not the first time i've had my ass kicked, but it was definitely the first time i've felt the power of the force, that...power hurts like hell, but it's a special gift to certain folks of this universe and unfortunately I was not one of them. However a blaster works its magic just as well as the force, so i'm not to upset about that...Ehhh I need a drink and a smoke after this day!

bryan-wynia-hunter-01.jpg

source
A Shujora elder named Sacca Tule, species unknown. We shared tea and multispecies wrist locks.

The Shujora way is a remarkable Force tradition that values simplicity, practicality, and direct action. Where a Jedi exercise might challenge you to levitate and manipulate complex objects, a Shujora training session would focus on how heavy the objects are, how long you can lift them, and how powerfully you can move them. Their founder was a failed Old Republic Jedi who clearly had great fondness for the Muntuur Stones.

Their lore and priorities have shifted since the days of Master Shon-Ju. Without authoritative records, they've relied on informal oral tradition. That's probably what saved them from permanently institutionalizing Shon-Ju's eventual darkness. They have all kinds of cautionary tales about extreme but tempered strength.

The Shujora way isn't for me, but it's certainly of value. I hope some of my fellow travelers learn well from our stop here.

Also, a non-Force-sensitive Bothan gentleman named Bok Bwi'kan Bok Bwi'kan went three rounds with a proud Shujora warrior. Bok resembled ground meat until the droids and I patched him up - but he held his own despite being so outmatched. The Shujora have massive respect for him and the elders are considering some kind of honour.

Bok Bwi'kan

Even with my leg patched up it still had some aches and echos of what it once looked like, if you could have seen how that thing looked I doubt most of those with fragile stomachs would have been able to hold their stomachs together, With the aid of some medical droids and Jend-Ro Quill Jend-Ro Quill I was back on my feet. Surprisingly the big fella that had knocked me around for 3 rounds came to see me and had requested I stay for a small ceremony to honor my resilience and honor of not backing down against him. Call it "Resilience & Honor" all you want, I call it being stubborn, Im quite sure if he wanted to the fellow could have broken me, but instead he welcomed me with open arms even when I started to draw a weapon. For once im respected for standing my ground, rather than being treated differently these folks seemed to rather enjoy my animosity and utter defiance, even if I looked like I had been flattened by a freighter I still kept my own and did not refuse to fight.

il_570xN.1784409802_d7uc.jpg

Calling it a ceremony might be a little to big of a word for my vocabulary, but that is what it was, small, quaint and only filled with a few select people including my opponent who eventually gifted me this rather niche ,but welcomed gift! many of the others may not understand what this truly meant to me, probably cause I looked like I had a constant resting b**ch face throughout the whole thing, but it truly was something I will cherish. "The Way" teaches us to improve our standing within society and this brawl, fight, dual or whatever you want to call it allowed me to earn a sort of respected rank within this close knit society. This ring was a specially designed ring made of bone, even finely crafted for my finger, quoted as a very "rare" event to happen I was allowed to invite one guest to be next to me as I received this gracious gift and rank, others were allowed to watch and attend the even, but to be this close was a respected honor. So it did not take me long to pick the one person who kept me alive through this whole ordeal Jend-Ro Quill Jend-Ro Quill seemed like a right fellow to have attend with me.

With Jend's help I would have been paste on the ground, well his help and the droids of course, but you know droids can't really be that appreciative of what was offered to them. Besides I thought it might have been nice to get on the good side of these force users, after all I now know how it feels to have my ass handed to me on a silver platter by them, and that's without them using there "special swords" Having helped me recover has earned him a place within respect in my books, but this whole ordeal while it was punishing was worth it. I achieved something that is like a holy enlightenment, RANK AND RESPECT! why it may only be a small rank it still gives me great pleasure to have been given that and the fact I have been given a material object to represent it only adds my affection further to this, I will cherish the ring greatly and always maintain and wear it when possible.

Hhressh. Called in some wards and informal neonate circles the Monitor, and the Visitant. Seydon marked him tall for the Shujora, two-and-a-half metres at the shoulder and well-proportioned, built like an aged oak with the sinuousness of a willow, his scale-hide flat against boxy muscles that lacked the puff and pudge of fat reserves. His hands were well calloused. And they were trying to put Seydon through the dirt.

Outside the training grounds and the long scute-shingled halls where the Shujora endlessly taught, lectured, and sparred, was a modest atrium created from the confluence of four low-roofed hab-blocks. It nested several blocks away in the east, closer to the bustling and sun-coloured bazaar streets and dazzlingly stark market plazas. Carmine dyed awnings shaded some of the light, blazing the earthen floor in hot tones of burning scarlet. Like the inside of a facsimile abattoir, heat and the lurid crimson shading even the shadowed corners made the brick-stone atrium feel like the pit of a burst blood clot. The neonates called it the ‘Sho-Khun’re’. The Palaestra. Occasionally, Hhressh drew in a few promising ‘golden claws’ and put them to his test. Not an iota of it was sanctioned by the elders. The Palaestra belonged to fools deaf and blind to the spirit of their lessons. No back-alley brawls tinged with condemnation could replace or usurp the simple truths brutally apparent in their art. Hhressh was persona-non-grata and his private matches a dark blemish to their tradition, but nonetheless he drew some hidden admiration among Shujora that quietly applauded his unorthodoxy. The Monitor gauged power. Or believed he did. Seydon discovered later Hhressh’s challenges to the Grandmaster, to Kovrek, and had lost to the elder in consecutive bouts.

The Palaestra thundered. Hhressh’s hind-claws raked the ground and drew low banks of lingering dust that stung in Seydon’s eyes. The lizard was a dun blur; his form was like gelatin, virtually shapeless, forming and re-forming between distance strikes utilizing his incredibly reach and close grapples that brought all his great physicality down onto his opponent. Seydon dimly noted the lizard’s footwork bouncing and sliding him about the atrium floor like it was a novice’s ‘first ring’. On the line. Off the line, careening the Dunaan about with his blows, flicking his tail round to snap Seydon’s feet out. Hhressh had the tempo. The pace and the rhythm of the bout was in his control, some contemptuous edge in his character ensuring Seydon knew it. An open palm slapped him across his cheek, clawing open his cheekbones and brow. It was a hammer-strike. Force-power made the air quake.

His opponent’s technique was almost perfect. At best, Seydon forestalled Hhressh, trading glancing limb-strikes that traded pound for pound, back and forth. Briefly, they’d answer each other’s strokes and counter-blows, circling away before slipping forward again into the centre of the Palaestra. He felt pitted against a wall of iron. Hhressh had the Palaestra, having already asserting the ground as his and forcing Seydon to come try take it. His shins clubbed into Seydon’s ribs, breaking the wind out of him, cracking his taloned heel into the center of his sternum and pitching him across the atrium. His shoulders met with albedo-caked stone. Distantly he heard Hhressh laughing, the sound like steam hissing through a sieve. The reptile came on once more, leading with tail-cracks stinging at the air inches from his eyes, punching for his midriff, his nose, his throat. A wall of scale iron. He’d be broken if he put up more resistance. Perhaps Hhressh saw no honour lost if a foreigner was killed on the Sho-Khun’re grounds and perhaps better yet, the victim would only be a ‘soiled-meat’ mutant throbbing like a septic wound in the Force. Blood swamped Seydon’s vision. His ears rang from another blow, despite his guard. An iron wall, oncoming… Difficulty resisting… There was a way, a crack to widen, if he just had the wits to reason it out and the strength to endure! Quickly! Black gods, he thought, this should all be snap decisions and muscle memory! If he survived, he'd be hard at it re-learning and refining his CQC. He'd maybe have to learn a new system entirely. Hhressh was bowling him over like a gale across a reed.

armando-savoia-atrium-1a.jpg

…A reed. Seydon saw it now. He waited for Hhressh to come and the lizard obliged him, crashing at him as he stood virtually trapped against the Palaestra’s red-washed walls. Clawed hands reached for him. Seydon paced forward, into Hhressh’s reach, weaving round his bulk and letting Hhressh’s weight and speed do the work. He tapped his elbow into the centre of the lizard’s spine, helping drive his mass straight into the walling. Hhressh rebounded off the cracking plaster and brick, into Seydon’s waiting grip, twisting and throwing the lizard off his legs to the earth. Dirt and a thin cloud of smarting dust rose as Hhressh’s hide impacted. The rhythm had broke and now, Seydon kept it broken. He went for Hhressh’s skull, wrenching at his head, thumbs pressing in against his flat eyes while his hands twisted about. Control the head, control the body, he knew. Hhressh clawed up at his throat but he caught the lizard’s thumb by the knuckle and bit. What was belying about Dunaan was their raw strength kept so very carefully muzzled. Strength even in their jaw musculature. His teeth carved through scale, into tissue, down to muscle, tendon, and bone. The lizard finally vented a raking shriek.

He kept Hhressh to the earth, pinned there with select joint-locks that trapped the lizard’s weight and height. Seydon wrenched one arm around, felt the elbow and shoulder begin to grind with protest, pinching blood vessels, nerves, and muscle tissue against each other. Hhressh began to thrash. He stole the fight and the breath out of the Monitor with a curt jerk that splintered the bones in his joints, wrist to shoulder blade. The red, hungry light in Hhressh’s eyes blinked out. Seydon pulled his fist away, the knuckles skinned and weeping angrily. A sizeable, bruising indent showed on the scales between Hhressh’s filmy eyes. He hadn’t killed the Monitor. When the reptile came to, he’d have a blinding headache and a good arm rendered inert as jelly. Seydon stood to his feet and began wading out of the Palaestra. He possessed sense enough to grab his swords waiting for him by the mouth of a long, shade-cooled passage leading out into the afternoon streets. Blood and sweat and odours of exertion stank sourly in his half-clogged nostrils. The wolfs-head medallion hanging from his glistening throat dripped darkly with spent gore.

sm_retirement-plan-audit-article.jpg

Image Debit: A slide from an audit manager in Telcoplus' engagement
"Do you have any plans to enter Cosm's Well capital markets? If so, we may need to make a provision for future periods under the form of a higher fraud risk"

"At this time, we cannot make our due diligence regarding regulations in Cosm's Well"

Although the Talz aren't exactly operating a major capital market, VPN is under pressure on both Alzoc III and Orto Plutonia to break up their advisory activities from their statutory & compliance services, at least as it relates to these two planets. Which would mean that only three services can remain in operation on these two worlds: assurance, tax and investigative forensics. But the inability of Telcoplus to make any due diligence about Cosm's Well capital markets extends to VPN as well. But these will be considerations going forward: can VPN continue doing transfer pricing work for Telcoplus even though none of the transfer pricing work relates to that jurisdiction? It's never pleasant to be forced to curtail what services a firm provides to a given client because of regulatory reasons, and when there is no regulatory pressure to do so on either the firm or the client (Talz regulators regularly ask the firm to do it), it's usually taken as a sign of dissatisfaction. And sometimes scandals can erupt because of the lengths firms go to retain clients once they have them.

Shambhala-class Science Vessel Baobab
18:57 Coruscant Standard Time
Day 13 on Voyage to Cosm's Well

No pictures for this one. Don't really want to document my injuries, it's gross, okay?

So we arrive on this barren little planet in the same system as the station. Enough gravity to hold a solid Type 1 atmosphere, but because of the tides and rotational period, one side was completely bleached by the sun's radiation. I remember hearing about Nkllon -- raids by Thrawn, on this resource rich planet that was too close to the sun the miners had to live on the far side. The rotational period was generous, though, so they had this walking city/outpost.

Same thing here basically. There's not enough light on the far side for the atmosphere to interfere when you're looking up at the sky. The stars look more vibrant here.

We were invited to a little installation on the dark side of the planet. Lizard warriors live there, all of them Force sensitive, but they only put their power into their fists. Sure, that means they hit hard, but they were really able to hit. They practiced a unique martial art -- it was a boxing style, but had clear roots in the Jedi martial arts. The way they moved reminded me of Teras Kasi, with elements of the Echani martial arts and Jedi agility training. Despite that, they almost exclusively used their hands to attack and block due to their focus on that aspect of the Force.

Varanin had us spar with them for some reason. Boxing ring style, one-on-one. I was kind of rude; Bok Bwi'kan Bok Bwi'kan got his ass kicked (well, more like face punched) by one of the lizards and I had a good laugh. Soon as I did all the scalies were looking at me, and somehow I ended up in the ring.

The guy I faced was bigger than me, and way stronger, so if I went with my normal nonlethal style I'd probably get decked. Hell, I tried a kick later and his block almost shattered my shin. Instead I went for 'flowing energy' style I'd been taught. I don't even remember the name of it anymore, but I remember the principles. We weren't really supposed to use it, as most of our assignments were no witness kind of missions. Still, in this case it worked like a charm.

He was fast -- very fast -- but reading his movements wasn't hard, since I knew what I was looking for. I think I just made him angry, though, because I was technically getting hits in but dealing basically no damage. Having his own strength and momentum used against him was probably a new experience, and I don't think he liked it.

When I did switch it up, to my stava/Teras Kasi style, I found I was exerting myself a lot more. Twice I got him into locks, but he was so much stronger he could just break out. Aimed a kick at his jaw, and now I'm stuck in the infirmary for a few days while my leg and ribs heal back up. His block and counter were vicious.

It was interesting to seem them fight, and I guess my style wasn't 'traditional' enough for them. The way they use the Force is unique enough, but it has a lot of limitations. If I was the same level of Jedi, I could probably beat them a lot easier, and protect myself better from their strikes.

The fighting wasn't the good part, though. After the sparring I sat and looked up at the sky. I must've stayed there for hours. Swear I could see Coruscant, everything was so clear to me, even from so far away. I wonder if I used a standard telescope from here, I might be able to see myself from all those years ago.

Maybe I will stay here. A little home, out in the middle of nowhere, where I can watch the stars until they bleach my presence from the galaxy.

Depressing, honestly.

Journal entry end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom