Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Apprentice Tournament of 836

Apprentice_tournament0001.jpg

It is time for the Jedi Temple Apprentice Tournament of 836!

For those that are not familiar with the Jedi Apprentice Tournament, it is a canon tournament in which 32 Jedi Padawans fight for the number one position. It is an annual tournament - which means that there will not be another Grand Apprentice Tournament until the galactic clock turns 837. This does not mean I won't host more Apprentice Tournaments when it is still 836, but there just will not be another one on Coruscant of this in-character magnitude.

Signing Up

Simply reply to this thread with your intentions of joining the tournament. I will give roughly a week before the start of the tournament. Please be sure to read this thread in full before the beginning of the tournament. If you wish to sign up for this tournament and are not a Jedi Padawan, read this thread in full right now before signing up.

ROSTER
  • @[member="Diana Moridena"]
  • @[member="Michael Sardun"]
  • @[member="Ronnie Vexis"]
  • @[member="Flint Dexen"]
  • @[member="Loran Nera"]
  • @[member="Kei Amadis"]
  • @[member="Lilia Dur'iar"]
  • @[member="Vulpesen"]
  • [Be the ninth to sign up!]

Purpose of the Tournament

The explicit in-character reason for the tournament is for Padawans to have their final test before beginning their training to become a Jedi Knight. It allows for Jedi Masters to gauge a Padawan's ability, and serves as a means for the Padawan to advertise themselves in order to receive training. This tournament was especially important for the Jedi Padawans that believed they might be deferred to the Service Corps. Jedi Knights and Masters also placed high value in the tournament - as it usually was the point where they chose their one student for the next decade.

The out-of-character goals for this tournament shall be:
  • To give Jedi Padawans dueling experience.
  • To have exceptional Jedi Padawans be recognized and promptly promoted to Jedi Knight.
  • To provide the opportunity to impress current Jedi Knights and Masters to train the Padawan, should they not be ready for Jedi Knight.
So, do not expect riches and glory to go to the winner of the tournament. It is for the Jedi, after all! Yet, it should be fun and exciting - and most of all, very lore friendly.

Character eligibility

While I will not say I will automatically deny people that are not Jedi Padawans, please understand that this is a tournament for only Jedi Padawans in-character. Therefore, if your character is not a Jedi Padawan then he/she is subject to being denied the ability to participate in the tournament.

In order to give you guys an idea of what I am looking for, the requirements for a qualified participant of this tournament shall be one of the following:
  • A Jedi Padawan
  • An apprentice-level character closely affiliated with the Republic and Jedi Order.
  • Anyone else that already has a precedent of being disguised as a Jedi Padawan - and proof and a compelling reason for doing this must be presented in this thread or sent to me though a private message.
Structure of the Tournament

The tournament will consist of 32 participants - even if not all of them are player-characters. The tournament will consist of four rounds. The first three rounds are one-on-one lightsaber duels in the Jedi Temple Sparring Arena. The final round shall be a four-person free-for-all in a closed off section on top of the Temple Ziggurat.

If 16 or less people sign up, the tournament will begin in the second round assuming that all player-characters won their first round match. If 8 or less people sign up, the tournament will begin in the third round assuming that all player-characters won their preceding matches. If unfortunately four or less people sign up, then the tournament will begin in the final round assuming that all player-characters won their preceding matches.

Each round will last no longer than a week - at which point I will make a decision on who the winner is based on who has made the most strikes against their opponent. If the participants have struck their opponent the same amount of times, then I will make the judgement based on more intrinsic things in the fight. I encourage participants to finish their duels before the end of the week.

The tournament will have spectators. They are: Jedi Knights and Masters that have traveled to Coruscant at the time of the tournament and the rest of the participants themselves. Spectators may post in the duels. Obviously, they are prohibited from interfering with the fight in any way - and if they do, then most likely that person will be punished by the rest of the Jedi.

Rules of the Fight

Remember that the purpose of these duels are to provide an avenue for the Padawans to demonstrate their talents to prospecting trainers - not for the Jedi's entertainment or glory of the fighters. Therefore, these rules are meant to protect the individuals fighting from damaging themselves more than they have to.

All of the rules below are in-character. Daella Apparine is the referee of the matches, due to her displayed skills in combat.
  • The referee shall signal the begin and end of the match. If the referee calls for the match to stop, all fighters must cease fighting until the referee signals them to begin again.
  • The only permissible weapon is a single training saber with its blade being either blue or green. If the saber strikes someone, it will give them first degree burns.
  • Proper attire shall be the standard Jedi tunic without a robe.
  • The fighters shall bring nothing else besides permitted items into the arena, nor shall they attempt to use the Force to pull objects and/or people into the arena.
  • Use of the Force is permitted and encouraged.
  • A fighter shall not strike anyone in any way that is not an active fighter.
  • If a fighter is disarmed, other fighters shall not pick up or use his/her lightsaber.
  • A match is over when all fighters except one have been eliminated from play. The one remaining fighters is the victor.
  • A fighter is eliminated from play when one of the following happens:
    Any part of the fighter's body has been struck by a training saber three times.
  • For whatever reason, the fighter steps out of the bounds of the arena (which shall be defined at the start of the match).
  • The fighter is knocked out or noticeably suffers from a concussion.
  • The fighter taps out or explicitly forfeits.
  • The fighter commits a foul or violates one of the rules.

The following are fouls, which are likely to cause grievous harm to the participants of the fight:
  • Butting with the head
  • Eye gouging of any kind
  • Biting
  • Spiting at the opponent
  • Hair pulling
  • Fish hooking
  • Groin attacks of any kind
  • Putting a finger into any orifice or any cut or laceration of an opponent
  • Small joint manipulation
  • Striking with the elbow
  • Striking to the spine or the back of the head
  • Kicking to the kidney with a heel
  • Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea
  • Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh
  • Grabbing the clavicle
  • Kicking the head of a grounded opponent
  • Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent
  • Stomping a grounded opponent
  • Holding the attire or lightsaber of an opponent
  • Using abusive language
  • Engaging in any unsportsmanlike conduct that causes injury to an opponent
  • Faking an injury
  • Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee
  • Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his/her head or neck
  • Applying any or using foreign substances to gain an unnatural advantage
Essentially, the rules are very similar to how a lightsaber MMA would be like in the Star Wars universe. The Jedi Order wants both a fair fight and they do not want their precious Padawans to be crippled as a result of this tournament. Therefore, these rules will be heavily enforced and violators will suffer in-character consequences.

Good luck to the participants of this tournament!

Jaxton Ravos

Mindwalker of the Outer Rim
Daella Apparine said:
The only permissible weapon is a single training saber with its blade being either blue or green. If the saber strikes someone, it will give them first degree burns.
Daella Apparine said:
The fighters shall bring nothing else besides their body into the arena, nor shall they attempt to use the Force to pull objects and/or people into the arena.
These rules are somewhat contradictory.

And when I was in the Jedi Order, I gave all of my padawans pink training sabers. Let my padawans play!

For newly promoted Knights:
I have no issues with those promoted in the last couple weeks joining the tournament as a "past role-play". Essentially, your character would have to still be a Padawan and act accordingly, yet they're promoted for whatever reason following the tournament.

Everyone will be on the Padawan level for this tournament (unless someone manages to convince me to allow their Knight/Master character to sneak in as such).

Definitely put this guy and if you like Natol'ine in, I think any more than 2 would be pushing it. Only put 2 in though if you can avoid them fighting against each other :D, if it's just one pick Kei. If it's a random draw type of deal, their crystals wouldn't allow them in close proximity so Nato would bow out, unless you didn't mind me writing out their fight.

I am a bit confused on the rule:

You've got a person is eliminated if they are struck by a training saber, but also that you will count up the number of times they were struck? I assume it means in the force or with the body?

Thanks for the help and writing this up, looks amazing work.

Dorano1

The little girl with Force powers
*can't participate*
*stalks for IC threads*

Unless I get off my lazy butt and finally make the Jedi character I keep trying to make...

@[member="Kei Amadis"]
I don't understand most of your post. I would recommend using only one character for this tournament.

Kei Amadis said:
You've got a person is eliminated if they are struck by a training saber, but also that you will count up the number of times they were struck? I assume it means in the force or with the body?
Only strikes with a training saber will be counted. If the participants have struck each other with a lightsaber the same amount of times, I will count the total number of physical strikes.

Lilia Dur'iar

L
Wait, wut? So they're not eliminated once the Padawan gets whacked with a training saber?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom