Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Give factions more control of their forums

Every faction has been there, your leader, or the admin who updates your thread tracker or inventory is on holiday or busy so you get all these posts or adjustments you need to do that just build up and when they come back there's such a huge build up that they can't keep up. Or an Admin steps down and someone needs to take over their duties and copy paste everything over, till they step down and you have to do it all over again. Sometimes it's not even that, sometimes you just have some free time, or someone's busy and you want to help out, but as this currently stand you can't.

So, I had two possible suggestions for this.

1) Although the rule is each writer is allowed only 1 writer account allow factions to create a communal writer account. A shared account that anyone authorised can use. That way anyone can log in to update things. This is honestly my least favourite of the two options because of the extra work it would involve bouncing back and forth between the accounts.

2) Give faction admins the ability to edit posts within their forums, they already have powers to hide and move posts, but RPJs can edit posts throughout the website so if it's possible to give Admins the power to do this within their forums then that would be the easiest and best solution.

Or you know, both, both would be good. I thought I'd toss the idea out there to see what everyone else thought.

sabrina

I am going to say, I can see an issue as it can be abused. Not saying everyone of them will, but it could be.
Thus a no from me, though they can hide it already, and ask for you to edit, but that post should be in there own writing.

The Reaper of Won Shasot
Like Sabrina, I can see the potential for this to be heavily abused, with no real way to stop or control it. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the ability to just let my staff edit the old thread trackers and stuff but it has the potential to cause a lot of problems. Having a writer account also has the issue of that every time an admin steps down you'd have to set a whole new password would just get annoying.

[member="Dax Fyre"] | [member="sabrina"]

You're both right, there is potential for abuse, but at the same time we promote people to faction admins because we trust them. They already have a lot of power within the faction so I'd hope that they would be less prone to abusing this. As you say it's a concern but weighing it up against the benefits and the fact that if someone's posts are altered they have a recourse to complain about abuse of power to the FO or the site staff I'd feel overall it'd be ok.

And yeah Dax, changing the password every time someone steps down would be annoying, but it's the best other idea I could come up with to make everyone's life easier. Compromises

I can see some less than flattering things happening tbh. People editing IC posts that sort of thing for example. You can't say that 'edit' I know not you, because I know you.

More in favor of 1. With restricted use on the faction board itself. That way if people are using it, they know their posts are open and likely to be edited. Then everyone is signing up to the same deal.

I believe this is referring to giving faction admins edit powers within their own faction sub-boards only. IC posts wouldn't be affected, as the RP boards lie outside the faction sub-boards. So I support this as well.

[member="Kei Amadis"]
Every edited post has an "Edited by" line under it, which shows the exact time it was edited and by whom. So if a person did that it would be extremely obvious.

Example:

Matt the Radar Tech

ꜰɪxɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ʀᴀᴅᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ sᴛᴜꜰꜰ
Admins being able to edit faction specific forum posts would be immensely useful and helpful.

I support it.

As mentioned above, there's a very easily identifiable and evident 'edited by' to a post, and if you know there shouldn't have been any edits, then it's really simple to see who did it.

Also, if you (those disagreeing) have issues with your fellow admins, that's on you, not on others who agree. You're more than welcome to drop their faction forum ranks to Mods, and withhold the ability to edit posts. Or outright say only so-and-so have permission to edit posts. There is no reason this cannot be approved, since the onus is on you to define the rules of the power the rank should have to begin with.

But for those of us who are fine with other faction admins assisting in the workload, it's vital. The methods used right now are time consuming and ineffective (multiple posts, merging, adjusting account names, etc).

The Reaper of Won Shasot
Tefka said:
Faction Owners promote people to Faction Admins because they trust them.

Nobody promotes Faction Owners because they trust them.

Just wanna point that out.
I'd like to believe I got tossed in there cause people trust me...but who am I kidding I'm a scruffy nerf herder :p

[member="Mother"]
True. For me. I would just call it a day in the faction editing personal stuff and posts. As opposed to faction ones. So no bother here.

@All
For the boards RPJ's. Honestly, they'd be the best people to ask. As it's their potential workload.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom