Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Galaxy Map

Hello,

I am sorry if I have posted this in the wrong forum/thread. I did look but couldn't find anywhere else more approriate. My name is Dylan (AKA Fallini, Realjunta, junta) and recently I made a map for the star wars universe in general. Here is the PDF version, followed by the PNG version, followed by the topic link.

PDF
PNG
Topic Link

I have come to offer my services to make a map for you guys thats basically like the one shown above but with your political borders. The "commission" for the map would go as follows
1) I would work with your current map maker (preferably through skype but other mediums can be arranged if necessay)
2) The map for Chaos would be designed to be unique to chaos (I really like the inqueness of your current map and would love to integrate it into a new one)
3) I would work to ensure the current map maker can keep the new map up to date (This is important if you plan on using a PDF file instead of the current format)
4) After completion, I am done, you can choose to keep me on to keep the map up to date and add specific things to it for chaos. If not then at this point map maintence and updating can be handed over to the current map maintainer.

This work would be completely free of course with the benefit on my end being further experiance and the spreading of my work.

Thank you kindly for reading and, hopefully, deciding over this offer of my work,
Dylan

EDIT: Feel free to post any further questions you may have. If you would like me to make the map with your current borders to see how it would look before deciding, please let me know.

Caius Flavian

Faction Admin - The Galactic Republic
Hello [member="Fallini"]!

Its wonderful that you have come to offer such services!

A recent topic in this very same forum came up of major factions producing their own localized faction maps of their territories and such.

Out of curiosity would you perhaps be able to perform the same level of work but at a smaller scale?

By that I mean specific maps for sectors and regions of the galaxy at large?

I think it would fall just well in line with the overall goal you have here of developing an overall map for the site.

The faction I'm currently a leader of is the Imperial Remnant and we presently occupy the Carrion Sector and Perinn Sectors of space along with two member generated systems that push the boundaries of the outrim.

If your offer to the admins does not get taken up I would suggest still opening up shop here in the art & design subforum as a spot to offer these services to other factions and people!

I'm certain you'll find your skills sharpened and improved from the lot of us!

[member="Fallini"]

As my fellow Faction Leader above has stated there have been some want of our own maps for our own uses within factions. Looking at these maps, these are beautiful, they are very well done. Good job! Regardless of what you decided with giving factions their own map, keep this up man! This is awesome!

Actually, doing smaller maps has always been on my goal list XD So yes great idea. I will defintely do so, thank you guys for your suggestions.

I like it, but how easily is it updated?

How easily could we load the .pdf here on the website, without using dropbox?

Have you ever looked into using machinations like leaflet.js?

My next wish for the map is to push for being able to search through nodes, like planets and regions, and I've been experimenting with the easiest way to do this for literally *years*.

[member="Tefka"] [member="Fallini"]

How up to date will the map be if i might ask, as soon as the changes in a planet's ownership is accepted by Tef or on a regular set basis like now?

[member="Tefka"]
I only use dropbox because its easy for me to keep up to date and I dont have my own server. I have skinned and coded a number of sites and have found the best way to display a pdf is by embedding it into the site with a simple iframe command. All pdf words are searchable which is a great feature to have on a map.

I have always wanted to make a map like google maps for the star wars galaxy and yes I have looked into things like that. So that is defintely a future project for myself. (in the near future)

@ David
Well for factions I imagine the idea would be to make the faction self reliant on updates. IE I would make the map in coordination with the faction and then leave simple instructions on how to keep the map up to date. If there were a need for new maps I would make them as required. For the site map it would be the same. So ultimately it would be up to the indivdual factions/site on how up to date they keep the maps.

Hope that answers your question. Sorry if I overexplained a little ;)

Sanya Val Lerium

Neutral, Queen of Her people, Neko
in fairness I support this and I do like it. I think a Google map like version would be awesome, and been able to click and get a direct Co ordinate to plot new custom planet's. would make things alot easier on both Creator and admin.

Thats awesome as well XD. I did not know this. Though I imagine you lose the whole zooming in awesomeness that comes with pdf, and searchable words.

Thanks @Sanya

Edit: I could make the PDF version/PNG version now, for the site, (depending on what you want) and then work on getting a google maps type thing up after. In any case I will open up a thread for the factions today.

[member="Fallini"]

I would look into stuff like leaftlet.js or google maps. It's definitely possible.

I don't like the idea of displaying the map via dropbox, as storage would be a huge concern of mine.

How large is the .pdf file you're displaying?

just over 1mb for the PDF, PNG is smaller, usually by 200-400 KBs but I think the PDF is much more worth it. (Of course JPEG is crazy smaller)

I just want to dispel a misinterpretation about having to use drop-box. They only reason I use drop-box is because its easy for me and I don't have server. The site would keep the files on the server.

If factions want to use PDF (they can choose to use PNG) they don't have to use drop-box.

yes leaflet.js is of course possible and definitely preferred. I will be looking into that soon but in the meantime I know how to do the files in many other formats.

EDIT: so I noticed a problem while going over the map with another member. The galaxy map you guys use as a base is woefully inaccurate to canon/legend information. I know the map you guys use as a base and I think the guy who made it is awesome (he was actually a bit inspirational to me making my own map) however is map is old and outdated and as stated not compliant with legend/canon..... Now this is not a problem for the site in that of itself HOWEVER if I make a map for the site you gonna start to see factions territories going weird. As an example on the right side of the map "Mytus VII" should be near where "Farana" is. I just briefly looked at it. But you will have to keep that in mind when making your decision. [member="Tefka"]

sorry, I was unaware, did you want me to make the map? We never really concluded on anything solid. XD [member="Tefka"]

EDIT: is it possible for me at all to grab the current files you use for the map? For some reason I can't save the one that you publicly show it just keeps coming up in an in window pop up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom