Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fool's Gambit

"Dreams of being a diplomat ... ?" he asked, his face scrunching slightly in feigned distaste. "Every girl's fantasy. " Walking onward, he slipped his hands in his pants pockets as he admired the view around them. Her question regarding his role on the various ships he'd crewed brought him to a nostalgic place.

"Mainly crew, starting about six years back. Worked for a handful of shipping operations on short runs between planets, picking up new contracts at port." Xaedrin knelt down, picking up a small rock from the walkway and fiddling with it as they walked. "After a few years of that, I ended up on a long haul bucket transporting colony supplies to outer rim planets. The contract was a two year run, but it paid well enough for me to buy a small freighter of my own. So now I'm my own captain. Clearly," he said emphatically, featuring around him, "I'm not very good at it."

He left the conversion open for the moment, lost in idle curiosity about the state of his ship.

[member="Jairdain"]

"Well, it's not like I can be a star pilot or journalist. Things that sort of require sight. Heck, even fighting is almost beyond what I can do. So yeah, I dreamed of being a diplomat or consular."

Listening to his story and being one of a crew made her smile slightly. After she had been banished, Jairdain had found a position with a crew for a time and worked with them on a freighter. Eventually she left them to search out the Jedi.

"I wouldn't say that. You're alive aren't you?"

Those years had never been asked about and she didn't give them that much thought any more. Then again, at that time she didn't know Basic or anything of the galaxy. Learned everything on the fly so speak and learned of the Sith and Jedi. That long road lead her to now guiding this visitor to Commenor into the café she had mentioned earlier.

"Here we are."

[member="Xaedrin Vondiranach"]

Xaedrin nodded his understanding. It made sense that she would have some limits on what was available to her, however with modern advances in medical technology he felt reasonably confident that her lack of sight could probably be remedied in some way. Still that wasn't really his business. He laughed as she pointed out that he was alive.

"While true, I'm pretty certain that the quality of a freighter captain isn't based on the bare minimum of not dead yet," he shook his head, clearly displaying his feelings of chagrin over his present circumstances.

Xaedrin realized at her announcement of arrival that he'd stopped paying attention to their surroundings. Looking up, he took stock of their destination. It didn't look extremely upscale, more like a hole-in-the-wall cafe. It reminded him of one he'd frequented on Coruscant - save for the fact that it wasn't surrounded by unimaginable high-rises. The clientele looked respectable, but down to earth - lacking the pretentiousness that often plagued fine dining experiences. They entered and chose a booth, Xaedrin sitting across from his guided. The table was - as most were, these days - a holo screen that was currently displaying menus in front of each of them. The seats were some type of vinyl, well worn but not overly dilapidated. Small cracks ran through the material, showing the character that comes with age. The decor of the diner would best be described as eclectic, proof positive of the presence of small-time personal owners rather than some corporate syndicate. It was a good choice; a place where one could feel welcome - because somewhere, on some planet, they'd been to some amalgam of the same exact place - but not as if they were being overly scrutinized. Xaedrin tapped a few icons on the screen and deftly ordered each of them a cup of caf - some house roast that hopefully wouldn't taste like sewage. Retrospectively, he also hoped that Jairdain drank caf.

"So here comes the part where I wow you with my psychic abilities," he said light heartedly. "What kind of girl is Jairdain Ismet? ... You're the quiet type, the girl who prefers to stay out of the limelight; blunt, speaking only when you genuinely feel it's important to speak. You don't have many friends - but only because you aren't looking, because you're totally friend material. You spend more time training then socializing, and no one is harder on you than yourself. You'll be some combination of doubtful, appalled, and flattered to find out that you're typically the most gorgeous girl in the room, and more than likely the thought has never crossed your mind - though it probably will more often, now. Those who do know you well often feel the need to tell you to lighten up and enjoy yourself, though it kind of irritates you; the way that it irks when someone who doesn't get you gives you life advice. You're someone who is proud of the work you're doing now, but couldn't say the same about your past. You don't feel like the galaxy owes you anything, but you do feel like you owe the galaxy something. You're driven, dedicated, hard-working, focused, and whatever it is you're making up for, you doubt it'll ever be enough. And ... " he paused for dramatic effect, drumming his fingers on the table, punctuating the last hit before speaking in a rush. "You like caf."

Xaedrin leaned back and stretched his arms out in a gesture of glory. "Well? How'd I do?"

[member="Jairdain"]

Her home world had been on the low end of technology standards and only the rich would have been able to afford cybernetic implants. Her parents had been merchants and finances were fickle. Not ever really lacking for things that were needed, her parents couldn't afford getting them for her. With the Force though, Jairdain was almost normal, she just couldn't read, see holograms or anything on a visual spectrum. She carried with her a device that would read for her and she used that when she had to.

She knew almost nothing about Xaedrin himself so her comment about just being alive to view as a good thing may not have as much meaning as it did to her. While her childhood hadn't been horrible, her young adulthood had been difficult. Details he didn't know about, but maybe in time he would. Depends on if he stayed around on Commenor and what free time she had of her own.

They sat down and he ordered drinks for them. She pointed to the hologram and told him what to order for her to eat, extending to him the invitation to get himself some food as well.

"Going to be better than what you've had for a while. How long were you in the hospital for?"

Listening in when he started​ to get a reading on her and his showmanship style of delivery, Jairdain couldn't help but smile and laugh at it. Much of what he said was accurate, most of it actually. He commented on her looks and that surprised her, maybe even brought a small blush because she never had given it a thought before. So he was right on target with that statement. As he continued on, her laughing continued and she shook her head with great and real amusement. When he finished and did his stretch, Jairdain gave him a polite and quiet clap.

"If I didn't know better, it seems like you know me pretty well. Nice job at taking wild, but accurate guesses. How'd you do it?"

He hadn't felt at her with the Force from what she could tell and in fact still didn't know he could use it. So her question was genuine in curiosity and that would be plain on her still slightly colored face.

Xaedrin bit his lip in a show of feigned discomfort. He knew she couldn't see the gesture, but hoped that she'd pick up on it through the Force somehow anyway.

"Well, here's the thing," he started slowly, "I've been stalking you for a while. Officially I was in the medical ward for a week and a half - unofficially I've been following you around for all that time learning everything I could about you." He held a serious face for a moment before shaking his head and laughing at his sad attempt at a joke. Her blush didn't go unnoticed, but he left it alone for the moment.

"In all honesty, it wasn't anything special - I had a 50 / 50 shot and you reminded me of someone," despite his best efforts, a hint of somberness broke through his jovial facade. The moment left for an awkward pause as his mind conjured up moments from his past unbidden. The moment only lasted a second or two, but it felt like longer. Xaedrin took a deep sharp breath, tapping his fingers on the table as he did so and trying to break away from the awkward moment.

"My turn, Jairdain - wow me with your mystical Force skills. Who am I?"

[member="Jairdain"]

When she asked how he had guessed so well, he sounded serious when he said he had been stalking and following her. That ended up being false, but he had Jairdain believing him for a moment. When he started laughing, she relaxed not being sure if he had been teasing or not.

"Who do I remind you of, Xaedrin?"

With everything he had said, it seemed a far lesser chance than 50/50 to get so much accurate. After he spoke, for a few heartbeats there was a touch of almost sorrow, but not quite she felt from him. Someone or something from his past must have caused it, but he buried it quickly and turned his attention back to her. Asking for her to wow him with her Force skills and get a read on him, she shook her head.

"Alright, give me a few here."

​While he had taken guesses, or so she assumed, Jairdain would attempt to actually read him with the Force. Not very deep so as not to intrude into his memories unless they were on the surface and high on his mind. As she did this, her face would appear to be focused and she looked at him with her full attention. Even with his Force suppressed, he should be able to feel her caress. It would not go deep enough for her to penetrate his own shield on his ability.

"Let me see here. You're not to anger easily, but it's the odd things that can. Like me, you would rather observe before making a decision and you approach things by method and take it in steps that make sense to you. Nothing you do is by chance, but always with thought. When you get fixed on a target or goal, you don't let anything get your way, like to the point where you can get into situations beyond your full control."

She paused here, there was no fanfare in her delivery, but a serious reading of him. Her touch still remained, but not focused like it had been.

"I could do more, but would want or need permission from you. That's just what I feel of your personality on the surface."

Xaedrin merely shrugged at her question. She wouldn't see the shrug, of course, but she would no doubt feel through the Force his 'don't worry about it' response. The off-handed comment had hit a bit too close to home, leaving him with no desire to continue that line of conversation. She clearly got the message, at any rate, as she moved on and began to concentrate on him. He could feel her gentle touch through the Force, reading him as best she could without being overly intrusive. His eyes closed slightly as she subtly moved along the contours of his mind. Xaedrin was well trained in the arts of the Force, schooled very broadly by a host of masters. However, if there was one area in which he had always been a standout it was in the more mental aspects of the Force. Carefully, he kept a haze around the areas of his mind he had no desire for her to see. It wouldn't feel to her as though she were being blocked, and it took an element of trust for him not to do so. If she pushed, either he would be forced to respond in kind - giving up his secrets - or he would be forced to let her through ... which would also give up his secrets. It wasn't a position he liked being in, but he judged it to be worth the risk at the moment.

He smiled as she began to give her impressions of him. Some of them were more detailed than he'd assumed she'd be able to pull out using surface level Force techniques, which allowed for him to exude authentic feelings of surprise. He was impressed, and she would know it.

"Wow," he said, a slight laugh of genuine wonder escaping him. "That makes my great psychic people reading skills look like a parlor trick."

Their food arrived as he was speaking, giving an easy segue in the conversation. Unspoken was his obvious reply that he had no desire for her to delve him further, though he did everything in his power to not let it become an awkward moment.

"So," he began between bites. "When did you first realize you had the Force?" He paused slightly before continuing. "I'm pretty sure that's not how you're supposed to say it - makes it sound like some kind of disease - but you know what I mean."

[member="Jairdain"]

As Jairdain focused on him, she wasn't looking too deep for greater details on him, so the fact he kept areas blocked from her went unnoticed. When she spoke and told Xaedrin what she did pick up, she felt his real surprise and that it had impressed him. That wasn't what she was after, but he had asked for her to do it to him. When he said it made his reading of her seem like a parlor trick, she shook her head.

"Yours is something natural, I actually have to work to accomplish my trick."

The food arriving, she sat back slightly as it was set down in front of her. After the server droid left, he asked when she had realized she could use the Force.

"Well, I learned when I was about ten, but had been using it passively all my life."

Pointing at her eyes before lowering her hand to start eating, she took a bite before continuing.

"I use it to see the world around me. It's entirely different than you or somebody with sight sees it. It can be a blessing and a curse honestly. Being as reliant on it as I am, when it gets taken away I become a simple blind human. It can be difficult."

Her choice of words told a story if he so choose to read into them, but what that story was she kept to herself. If he asked, Jairdain would further explain what she meant, but for the moment she left it simple.

Xaedrin dug into his food with gusto. In comparison to what he'd had in the medical ward, it was five star cuisine. He listened to her answers, noting that she hadn't always been blind, but had always used the Force either consciously or unconsciously. As he ate he weighed the options for conversation. Did he ask her more personal questions? Or did he continue the polite banter that comes with first meeting interesting people? Something told him that as much as she wasn't an open book, she also wasn't one who would be into frivolity.

"How does using the Force for sight compare to normal sight?" The question was plaintive, offered with a hint of reservation to show that he wasn't trying to make her uncomfortable.

[member="Jairdain"]

Cutting into her own food, there was a brief silence between them as they both ate their first few bites. Hearing his question, Jairdain gave him a slightly odd look. She had been given actual vision a couple of times, but she was unsure of how to compare them. Attempting to do her best, she tried to keep it simple. Holding up one of her hands to draw his attention to it before she spoke.

"Well, you can see my hand. The color of its flesh, any scars or marks it has. I can not. What I see considering this is my hand I'm talking about here is more or less just an outline of it."

Pointing to him, but not picking up his hand, it would be clear she would say something about him.

"I see you basically through your emotions and what you feel. As an empath, it's natural for me see the world that way. Everything has emotions."

Amazing. Every person around her became an unwitting tool for her to navigate her world. Essentially, their emotions and feelings slaved through the Force into her own construct of the world around her. It wasn't altogether unlike the expansive surveillance systems employed on high-tech worlds, where every connected device became part of the overall security protocol. The way she used the Force wasn't invasive at all - no one in the tiny diner knew that they're emotions were feeding a real time Force vision of their environment. And she did it passively. He wondered what she could accomplish if she turned that to more invasive techniques. Of course, as a Jedi, she wouldn't. Not intentionally at least.

"That's amazing, Jairdain," he said, not having to feign the fact that he was impressed. "It's like ethereal active sonar. Ship sensors work in a similar fashion, although they're based in the physical world. Is this a common ability among Jedi? Are empath's common?"

[member="Jairdain"]

As she explained how she saw, Jairdain picked up on the fact he was impressed. That wasn't her intention as she spoke of how she saw the world. To her it was a part of her life and normal. There may have a little color to her cheeks, but her voice was calm.

"I think regular vision is amazing. To have the ability to see color, shades and hues. Sunset or rise...even the stars. These are denied to me, Xaedrin."

Falling silent, she took another bite of food to allow what she said maybe give him pause to think. What she listed off were many aspects people with sight took for granted. If she had known he could use the Force, she would have known how to grant him a version of her vision. It may also have been possible he could do that same for her.

"I'm the only blind human I know of with the Jedi so I would assume it isn't very common. Empathy is a little more common, but I'm not sure how many there are around. You see, I don't really spend my time with them. My job is here on Commenor."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom