Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fool's Gambit

Xaedrin counted a steady rhythm in his head as he finished up his daily workout routine. He breathed deeply and methodically as he counted off the last of his pushups on the floor of his hospital room in Chasin City, on Commenor. The CSA had been remarkably grateful after he had offered his aid to the Kingsguard, whatever ill will incurred by their encounter on Kwenn Station swept away by his good deeds. It helped that his actions during their last meeting had been perpetrated under the influence of Lord Onyx and the Contingency. There was still awkwardness there, and a slight sense of guilt knowing that his actions hadn't been his own. To hold someone responsible for things they had done as a Controlled One made no logical sense, and yet ...

Xaedrin pressed himself up and brought his knees under himself, leaning back to sit with his legs folded beneath him. He wore simple, black pants with no shirt, the scars from his encounter on Kwenn as well as his recent interaction aboard the Beginner's Luck showing obviously on his torso. He was in good shape, other than a cacophony of scars. He closed his eyes and breathed deeply, relaxing after his workout. He also used the opportunity to focus, hiding his Force presence to ensure that he remained just one more sad, lost puppy in the universe.

His wounds were healing nicely, and he knew that sometime soon - possibly even today - he'd be released. That's when the fun would really begin.

[member="Jairdain"]

It had been suggested to her when she had been recovering from her time with the Sith to help others heal. It had helped Jairdain find a sense of peace then and assisted in her own healing. On coming to Commenor, she had been through the medical ward where the crown prince had been recovering. While she was now fully recovered, she had enjoyed the feeling that came with helping others. So the now Master found herself walking the halls of the medical ward in an effort to lend a hand where she could.

A small list of patients and rooms was provided to her, but the written language was useless to her. Instead she felt with the Force. Those that needed the most help would appear like a beacon, calling her to them. One woman was crying and Jairdain approached her. It wasn't something physical that ailed her, but her husband. Taking a moment to comfort the woman, Jairdain felt something through the Force.

It wasn't so much that she actually felt anything, but it was the sudden disappearance of something. Her focus being on the woman, she didn't know what had just gone away, but that it had been there previously. Her curiosity perked, after she finished her conversation with the woman, she stood up. Whoever it was on this floor. The direction she had felt it was behind her, so she turned back around the way she had come and found another lost soul in the process.

Letting out a mental sigh, any trace of that person was gone now and Jairdain didn't sense anything else from whoever it could be. Turning her attention to this person though, she didn't really sense anything wrong with him. Wounds were almost healed, so he must be one of the few that were ready to be released from the hospital.

She took a seat near to him and maybe he would have felt her gaze if he was sensitive. Her eyes were unfocused though so it would be obvious if he paid attention that she was without sight.

"You're one of the lucky ones, I think."

[member="Xaedrin Vondiranach"]

At the sound of the newcomer's voice, Xaedrin looked up and grinned slightly. He glanced in the direction of the voice and saw eyes that were unfocused, looking in his direction but not really at him. His grin faded, as it was unnecessary. It was clear the girl was a Force user, as she'd been able to assess his physical state to some extent without sight. She'd probably be able to read his emotions, then, and would be feeling from him a sense of slight, general puzzlement. He'd met people without sight before, though none had been Force users. At least none that he knew of. He wondered what physical senses had overdeveloped to compensate for her lost sight. Curiosity also flooded him at what preternatural senses had overdeveloped as compensation.

"Luck seems to be in my wheelhouse, these days," Xaedrin said with a rueful chuckle. He found himself feeling somewhat awkward, uncertain where to focus his eyes. Xaedrin was all about eye contact, but in this case that made no sense. He found himself glancing around at the bustle of the busy medical ward. He hadn't really noticed before, being focused inwardly. Now that he allowed his surroundings to inundate his senses, his nose was flooded with the pungent scent of antiseptic and disinfectant. Like any other medical facility. He'd always hated that sterile smell.

"What about you?" he asked after an awkward pause. "What are you doing here? You don't look like you fit hospital criteria."

@Jairdain

When Jairdain spoke and sat down near him, she felt his attention. She also picked up some curiosity and maybe some confusion. If he was curious about anything specific, he would need to ask since she wasn't about to reach out to try and figure out what he wanted to know about.

He replied to her comment about being lucky and she returned his smile that she couldn't see.

"Were you part of the incursion? So many here are here because of that."

Making a broad motion​ to the medical ward around them, he should know what she meant. He then asked what she was doing here as it didn't appear she needed to bed. Giving a little shrug, she leaned forward with her full attention on him.

"Not long ago, I was in a place like this and it was suggested to aid in my own recovery to help others. To be honest, I liked the way it made me feel. So here I am offering help to those in need. Whether it be physical healing or just somebody to talk to. Emotional support is just as important as physical."

People came and went from the area, but avoided interrupting their conversation. Muted as it was, they were left alone.

Mention of the Incursion brought a spike of anxiety to him. He could have hidden it, repressed it, but instead he chose not to. Anyone who had lived through that would feel anxiety over it - though his anxiety was for a different reason.

"Yes, I was a part of the Incursion," he said quietly, muted as if in reservation. "That's not why I'm here, though." The Incursion was an interesting topic. He'd not been on the winning team, as it were. He'd been one of the Controlled Ones. He knew that those who had been assimilated into the Collective had not been given a choice - or at least most of them hadn't - and therefore it wouldn't be openly held against them, but there were still ways that having been a part of the nexus could be detrimental to his future.

He listened as she explained her reasons for being here in the hospital, and allowed for her nobility to put him at ease before responding. "I got dragged into a skirmish in space and ended up almost dying. Turns out the ship I aided was the king and queen of Commenor. So, free vacation in a local hospital!"

He laughed slightly at the combination of fortune and misfortune.

"So what do you do around here when you're not being all noble of spirit?"

[member="Jairdain"]

She picked up on the anxiety he felt when she mentioned the incurision, but clarified he wasn't in the medical ward because of that though. What had brought him was the fact he had helped Kay and Veiere which had almost brought about him dying. Nodding at his story, she didn't quite share in his humor. Understanding where it came from though, Jairdain returned his slight laugh with a small half smile.

He then asked what she did more or less on Commenor when she wasn't here helping people. Her position wasn't secret and she saw no reason to keep it from him.

"I'm the Advisor to Bradshaw Ku. Just helping him learn the ins and outs of diplomacy and hoping to pass on a small sense of responsibility to Commenor."

Holding a hand out to shake, she realized she hadn't given her name when they started speaking.

"Jairdain Ismet. I apologize for not giving my name earlier."

Xaedrin took the proffered hand lightly and smiled, though she couldn't see it. "Xaedrin," he said, introducing himself. His surname would be meaningless to her, so he didn't offer it. He released her hand before standing and glancing around the confining space.

"As an adviser to someone that I'm assuming is of some import, I'd guess you could probably manage to break me out of this prison for a bit? I've been cooped up in here for far too long, and would love some fresh air. Maybe show me around the city, a bit? It's my first time on Commenor, and I'm not above being a tourist."

He had the distinct impression that this girl would be one that would be worth getting to know a little better.

[member="Jairdain"]

They shook hands and he provided his first name only. That wasn't a huge deal to Jairdain, in her position though, she felt it better to speak her full name. One never knew where a name drop might come in handy and while she wasn't widely known yet, there may come a day when she was.

"Bradshaw is the crown prince, so slightly important."

There was a little humor in her voice, but nothing too great. Xaedrin asked if she could manage to get him let loose and maybe show him around Commenor a little and Jairdain considered her answer. Being able to tell he was mostly healed, she couldn't tell a reason why he wasn't released yet.

"The worst that can happen is they tell me no and instead we just walk around the garden or the grounds around here outside. To be honest, I'm still pretty new here myself. Sightseeing though I've never been very good at."

It was a small joke about her sight and hopefully he caught onto it. Making a small tipping motion in the direction of where the nurse station was to ask them. Even though she was blind, Jairdain had been here often enough to know where things were she might need and that station was one of them. Standing up, she started heading over to it.

When she got there, she started talking to one of the nurses who looked at the paperwork concerning Xaedrin and nodded.

"He was scheduled to be released today, so you can walk out with him. Just need a few minutes to clear things with the higher up."

Unsure if he had heard any of the conversation, she turned to face him and tell him it would just be a few minutes and he would be free to go.

Adviser to the crown-prince, he thought, mentally logging that tidbit away for later. Sometimes it felt like the universe existed solely to meet his whims. Today was one of those days. Of all people to meet before being released, Ku's adviser; it was simply too rich. He'd done a bit of research into Ku after their encounter on Kwenn - enough to know that he was the crown-prince, and a rather prolific figure. This meeting, however, he couldn't have planned. Providence.

He smiled at her self-deprecating joke - that was certainly his style of humor. Jairdain seemed to be the type of person he would get along with. She seemed the serious type, but also had the ability to be light-hearted. Not to mention there seemed to be a darkness to her, perhaps past baggage? Or was he making that part up? He felt slightly crippled leaving his Force abilities at bay, but he'd survive.

He sat down, idly, as she went to find the nurses station to find out if he could be released. He made no effort to eavesdrop on the conversation - he'd find out what they had to say soon enough. When she returned she informed him that his freedom would be procured in a matter of minutes. He feigned a sigh of relief, as if this was the greatest - and most uncertain - news he'd ever heard, then laughed slightly.

"I'm not sure if it's proper etiquette or not to ask this, but how long have you been a Jedi?" he asked as they waited, then laughed slightly before continuing. "I guess that's a big assumption, but you said you offer physical healing and identify yourself as an adviser, not a doctor. You probably trained from the time you were a kid, so I'm not even sure that question makes sense - or is there some ethereal answer like, 'I've always been a Jedi, even when I didn't know it...'?"

He paused for a moment before sighing, "I'm rambling, aren't I?" he asked with slight irritation. "I do that too often, unfortunately."

[member="Jairdain"]

He waited while she went to the nurse's station to check on his release status and Jairdain listened to what he ask and had to say when she returned with her news. In asking how long she had been a Jedi got a bit of a surprised look from her. What he observed though was quite in line what a Jedi would do or offer so she didn't take any real offense at his words. The question was asked out of curiosity so she decided to give a vague answer rather than specific.

"I've been a part of the Silver Jedi Order for about four years off and on."

Xaedrin assumed she had been training since she was a little girl and she shook her head at that. It wasn't the case the at all, but right now he didn't need to know all about her. In saying he was rambling, she shook that off with a slight wave of her hand.

"No, I haven't always been a Jedi, even when I didn't know."

Giving a wink with the answer, she turned her attention when the nurse she had spoken to walked over to them with some papers and instructions for him. Allowing her to speak with him, Jairdain waited until they were done and for him to get whatever he wanted to get together before leaving. While she couldn't see it, he was probably still shirtless and needed to at least put that on and she did not know what else he had with him.

"Do you have a place to stay while you're here?"

Four years. Off and on. I wonder what that means? he thought idly. She didn't seem keen on expanding the thought, however, so he let it drop for the moment. Reaching over to the small stand besides the bed that he'd been issued upon arrival, he retrieved his shirt - a grey, button-down shirt freshly laundered by the hospital staff - and slipped his arms into the sleeves, then began to do up the buttons as she continued. Her wink seemed awkward to him. She'd probably never seen one, though Xaedrin didn't know if she'd always been blind or if it had been the result of some type of trauma. Shirt on and buttoned, he looked up as she asked if he had a place to stay in the city.

"No, I'm pretty well homeless at the moment," he said ironically. "I hadn't anticipated a trip to Commenor, so I'm pretty unprepared. Have any suggestions?"

The only belongings he had with him were an identchip, which was in his pocket, and the clothes he'd been wearing. He was curious what had happened to his ship - the Beginner's Luck - but he supposed he'd find out the answer to that in time. He was glad that he would finally be getting out of this place. Hospitals gave him the creeps.

[member="Jairdain"]

At her almost cryptic answer about her time with the Jedi, Jairdain didn't pick up on any extra curiosity at it. Letting the subject drop, at least for now, she allowed him the time it took for him to get his shirt on. Noticing there wasn't any other stuff for him, she wondered where everything else was. He answered that he was pretty much homeless and asked for a suggestion on where he could stay.

Shaking her head before speaking, "I stay in the palace and probably don't have the authority to offer you a room there."

Unsure of what housing ​she could offer or knowing what kind of funds he had, she was at a bit of a loss for what she could do for Xaedrin. However, right now, their business dealt more with getting out and wandering around for a time. Once out in the fresh air, maybe they could both be a little more relaxed. Not totally open, but more themselves.

She sensed some sort of curiosity from him, but not about what. Sometimes being empathic wasn't great and feeling other's emotions, but not knowing what they meant was a common issue for her.

"Are you hungry?"

Walking through the crowded corridors of the medical ward toward the city beyond, Xaedrin found that he had to dodge between patients dotting the halls and overworked doctors scurrying from bed to bed. He hadn't realized until now just how crowded the ward was, likely still the aftermath of the Incursion, as Jairdain had previously alluded to. Having spent very little time planetside since the Contingency's bid for galactic control, Xaedrin had been left unaware of just how devastating the war had been. Much of that time was a blur for him, anyway, having been under the control of the Contingency through that marvelous, black goo.

Xaedrin laughed out loud at Jairdain's response to his question. Flippantly, she made a comment about lacking the influence to get him a room at the palace, and then quickly changed the subject to food. Xaedrin found humor in her response, however, and couldn't just let it pass. "The palace? When I asked for a suggestion I was thinking a local inn of some sort where I wouldn't wake up with my throat slit, not dropping hints to follow you home." Xaedrin grinned widely, albeit knowing that she couldn't see it. "Besides, Councilor, I'm hardly that type of guy. Though taking me to dinner is a good start."

He wasn't sure what her abilities were - or unrelated, if she had a sense of humor - but he expected she'd be able to decipher his good-natured attitude behind the banter.

[member="Jairdain"]

Perhaps he wasn't as used to moving among people as Jairdain was and he seemed to have to dodge them more than she did. Then again, she did not move fast and most people got out of her way before she reached them. It was during the Incursion, she had her own issues to deal with and hadn't come to Commenor until after both had already passed. So much like Xaedrin, that time was a blur to her even it was for different reasons.

When she said something about a room at the palace, she hadn't intended it come across as flirty. He went with the flow and expounded on it though and luckily she wasn't looking at him because what he said garnered a slightly dirty look from her. If he could pick up on emotion though, Jairdain wasn't angry or anything. Feeling the humor off him, she could tell he was joking around and not being entirely serious in his own flirting.

In her own turn, she continued with the banter.

"If you're hardly that type of guy, then what kind are you?"

The final answer about dinner and they reached the entrance finally. Turning in the direction of the Palace, Jairdain started walking. While he was mostly recovered, she stayed at the pace he set.

"Anything you have a craving for?"

As the doors opened to the city outside, Xaedrin was forced to blink at how bright it was. He'd been cooped up inside the hospital for over a week, tinted windows and artificial light making him almost forget what the sun was like. The air smelled crisp, albeit filled with all of the scents one would associate with a large city. Still, it beat the sterile smell of the medical ward any day.

Xaedrin smiled at her return banter, glad not to have offended her. "Right now I'm the type of guy who's incredibly grateful for rescue from that awful place, and I'd say that the only thing I'm craving is something other than hospital food."

Xaedrin looked around as they walked, admiring the buildings around them. "What about you? What kind of girl is Jairdain Ismet," he lowered his voice, adopting a formal tone and feigning an uppity accent. "Advisor to the Crown Prince and loyal member of the Silver Jedi Order?"

[member="Jairdain"]

The change from inside to outside didn't have the same effect on Jairdain as it did him because of her blindness. Feeling the light on her face though, she turned in its direction for a moment and enjoyed the caress. She chuckled a bit at his comment on the food, but nodded.

"Alright, fair enough. I'll take you one place I've been that is not too far from here and foot the bill. At least until you can repay me somehow."

Knowing there was work to be had around, she felt her intuition kick in and had the feeling this wasn't going to be their only meeting. Maybe it was the Force speaking to her, but it had never given her visions of herself before so she didn't think it was that.

He really didn't give a good answer to her question and she felt like he did that on purpose. Perhaps he was a person that kept himself closed to others, not wanting to open. That was usually due to the fear of being hurt. In his turn he asked what kind of person she was.

"In all honesty, nobody has ever asked me that before. Here's an idea. We sit down, eat dinner and tell me what kind of girl you think I am."

Chuckling a little at his tone, she shook her head.​ While she wasn't intending to sound like she was flirting, her words could certainly be heard as such.

Xaedrin nodded appreciatively at her offer to pay for a meal ... before remembering she was blind, and couldn't see his non-verbal responses. This was more challenging than he'd thought it would be. You never really noticed just how dependent you were on non-verbal cues until you couldn't use them. He wondered how that affected her, and the relationships she had. Was that some of the source of discomfort that people felt around those who were blind? It would be easy to feel guilt when you made a gesture that was intended for sight, then remembered that the other person couldn't see it. Xaedrin shrugged off the thought, deciding not to allow it to have any effect on his interactions with her. It was part of her life and he refused to allow it to be an issue.

"Jairdain Ismet," he said in mock wonder, "Woman of mystery, charm, and generosity toward the homeless. Sounds like the total package to me - especially given that currently I'm the homeless."

Xaedrin walked on for a few moments, taking in the sights around him. "I have decided, oh glorious benefactor, to accept your generous offer. In exchange for a meal, I shall read your fortunes and lay bear your soul's identity using my unparalleled psychic abilities. Prepare to be amazed!"

He said all of this in absolute seriousness, grateful that she was unable to see the stupid smile that creased his face.

[member="Jairdain"]

While unable to see the nods and most other physical actions, Jairdain could sense the emotion through the Force. So while it may make some people feel uncomfortable around her, it wasn't an issue for her and she accepted people as they were. Each person was unique in how they reacted to things. It seemed Xaedrin took things in stride and wouldn't treat her oddly because she was blind. Most people didn't anymore.

Even though he spoke with a serious tone, she could hear the smile in his voice. That invisible body language to her was expressed by her naturally. Moving her hands as she spoke, nodding or shaking her head she had picked up on while growing up. Having loving parents that took the time to show her how to act with others. They had been close to each other and while it didn't happen often anymore, she missed them now and then.

"Psychic abilities huh?"

If she had control over her eyes, they would have glanced his direction, she didn't but that look would carry through the Force. He may or may not actually feel it. It made no difference either way really and she still did not know he could use the Force since he had hidden that ability.

A mischievous grin split across his face as he adopted a poor impression of a voice that belonged in a travelling circus.

"Yes, of course, madam," he said with a flourish. "Xaedrin the magnificent is here to blow your mind!"

He laughed, genuine mirth flowing from him as he fell back into stride beside her. "At least that's what I tell myself, but freighter life isn't exactly glamorous. Now, adviser to the prince, that seems like a glamorous gig. How'd you fall into that one?"

Sometimes it was awkward trying to make conversation with a stranger. However, it was far easier when that stranger was interesting.

[member="Jairdain"]

The flourish was lost to her, but not the emotion of fun and mirth that came from Xaedrin. Joining him in the laughter, Jairdain wondered if there was any truth to what he said. Could somebody not able to use the Force be gifted with an ability to see the future? Somehow she wouldn't find it surprising.

After their shared joke died down, he asked how she wound up as advisor to Bradshaw.

"Long story in the making. A few years ago, I came here with the Silver Jedi to reopen the Embassy here. I had the dream of being a consular or diplomat. Became acquainted with Lady Kay and her husband, Veiere at that time. Well, things happened, but recently Kay was looking for somebody that could hopefully teach her son a few things. And here I am."

Not going into detail as to what happened in those passing years, Jairdain waited to say anything.

"A freighter pilot or crew?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom