Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fleeting Training/Experimentation

With the rise of Factory 4.0 starship submissions have never been less complex or easy to make. But…how do you then make use of them?

I am looking for anyone who is interested in fleeting but who has never done so, or who does not have much experience at it, to join up and learn a few tips from the pros. This is intended to be a fun informative thread.

I had planned something like this earlier in the year, but life got in the way (as it does) and it’s only now that I’ve been able to properly devote time to this.

The thread/s will take the form of a non-canon training session followed by simulator conflicts. Any faction is welcome.

For ease of explanation only Factory 4.0 ships will be used, but as it is non-canon simulations you will have any ships available to you. So if you’ve wanted to have a Dark Blade alongside an Alliance battlecruiser here’s your chance!

To add to this, any experienced fleeters who want to help out and show your own ideas are welcome. Like all RPing there is no right way to do this sort of thing, so the more viewpoints available the better.

Any questions?

(This would also be a great opportunity to make use of ships you made here: http://starwarsrp.net/topic/109603-spaceship-design-contest/?view=getnewpost

(Shameless plug.))

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

This is probably one of my worst areas of Role-playing here on Chaos so while I may likely make a fool of myself, I'll throw my hand up for this one if not just to jump into something different with a crowd I haven't had the pleasure of Rp'ing with yet.

Valiens Nantaris said:
I am looking for anyone who is interested in fleeting but who has never done so, or who does not have much experience at it, to join up and learn a few tips from the pros. This is intended to be a fun informative thread.

To add to this, any experienced fleeters who want to help out and show your own ideas are welcome. Like all RPing there is no right way to do this sort of thing, so the more viewpoints available the better.
https://youtu.be/9s0UURBihH8

90% of "fleeting" is just a battle to see who can spew the best BS, organized via cliche monologs, Captain Picard ordering of underlings, and chess-type maneuvering. The rest just comes down to having a comfortable grasp on Star Wars technology functionality and the basics of Newtonian physics.

RIP Carlyle Rausgeber

"It's all been bloody marvellous..."
Captain Larraq said:
The rest just comes down to having a comfortable grasp on Star Wars technology functionality and the basics of Newtonian physics.
]

This is uh not true at all. I am no physicist at all, in fact I regularly nearly failed Maths and Science during High School. But yeah, you don't need either of these. So long as you have a basic understanding of ship subs, the capabilities of the enemy, and your capabilities, you should be fine.

Carlyle Rausgeber said:
]

This is uh not true at all. I am no physicist at all, in fact I regularly nearly failed Maths and Science during High School. But yeah, you don't need either of these. So long as you have a basic understanding of ship subs, the capabilities of the enemy, and your capabilities, you should be fine.
By this I mean you understand that if you turn off the engines, the ship keeps drifting forward at the same speed. You understand that you have to burn retrothrusters or spin around and turn on your engines again in order to slow down. And that you understand that your ship is getting pushed around by giant, fancy rocket engines and that you can't "reverse" at the same speed you move forward.

You should also understand the basics of SW technology, such as Stygium and Hibridium cloaking tech will make your ship blow up if you try to use it at the same time of your Hyperdrive, or that you have zero sensor/visual detection while using a Hibridium cloaking... Knowing the basics of how hyperspace/subspace/other space travel works... Knowing the basics of how SW sensors work...

Every good writer knows to research what they want to write about. SW Chaos is no different. Taking the time to read some wookieepedia pages is what makes the difference between a "fleeter" and a guy with some spaceships. These things are what's going to make you actually good and will keep you from causing headaches for other writers by trying to do something physically impossible for your ship to perform, either because of physics itself or established lore.

Captain Larraq said:
https://youtu.be/9s0UURBihH8

90% of "fleeting" is just a battle to see who can spew the best best use their BS, organized via cliche monologs, Captain Picard ordering of underlings, and chess-type maneuvering. The rest just comes down to having a comfortable grasp on Star Wars technology functionality and the basics of Newtonian physics.
You just listed the common barriers to fleeting: the need to be comfortable with using NPCs (and large numbers at that), the need for strategic writing and the whole "Opposition fires X amount of stuff at some Y ship you have from Z range" deal... which means that there are easily a lot of parameters to take care of.

Rick Kaloo

R
Carlyle Rausgeber said:
[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

Alright, time to show you lads fleeting, imperial style.
Same here. Can help me get some experience for later Imperial fleetings.

Excellent.

How this will work is a sort of semi-IC lecture room for the first section where those of us I consider to be experienced can put out some suggestions alongside me, then any of the learners can ask any question they might have.

Then we’ll take it to a combat simulation, splitting the learners up into two ‘teams’ and allow them to choose a small fleet. From there they can engage enemies, with some tips occasionally from the instructors.

The main thing I want is to keep everyone engaged, not have it turn into a complex infodump and for people to choose their own ships.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom