Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Month Ever Of RP. How Am I Doing?

I kinda understand what you mean with your problem between switching from first-person to third-person(I to He/She/etc). So i currently write Taru and the rest of my characters in the third-person and in the past tense instead of first person present. With past tense, for me, it just involves writing about what happened from a a standpoint of the thing I'm writing about happened around a second ago unless otherwise specified.

Ex: Taru ducked low as the blaster shots came flying at him from three different directions, singeing his armor vestigial horns and bringing his emotional state into more of a whirlpool of rage.

Continued Ex: As the shots flew at me from three different directions, I ducked low, trying to create as small of a target as i could, but alas not small enough. Something was singed. MY HORN! Realizing that my horn was singed, well, I dont know how to explain it but i felt the adrenaline pumping as my rage went to my head.

I just like how third person sounds.

Also a small tip on making things better:
I collected myself.
Anger started to rise.

These are from here. I dont know if you still write like this, but this is probably a good place to start. Your writing is solid. Its readable, well-spaced, and enjoyable to read.

But you had asked for how to make your writing better and so I shall say, these quotes I stole from the same place as the last hyperlink, they highlight complete sentences that can be made much better. Instead of just saying I collected myself or Anger started to rise, you could make this writing much more easy to understand your view of your character's actions by describing how they collected themselves and how they became angry. Were there any physical signs of anger, like a scrunching of the fists and frown upon the face? Any calming breath techniques utilized or tidying of clothing to show collecting oneself? Describing something in how it affects your character physically, mentally and emotionally can all help make your posts sound and look better. You seem to get the emotional/mental states down well but dont portray and write out the physical signs as much.

Hope i was able to help Okkeus Dainlei Okkeus Dainlei , and btw Im still working myself on implementing these into my writing. 276 posts and almost two years with this char alone, and I'm still learning, so dont worry your writing for your first month of RP is good. And if ya ever want to thread with me and any of my chars just hit me up either here on Chaos or through Discord.

You got this! Okkeus Dainlei Okkeus Dainlei

I only learned of this a couple months ago, of describing how and why your actions do what they do, and how they effect you and others. Like if ya swing your sword at someone, its not always just a chop or a slash at the body, it can be a stab through the guts carving upwards type of slash,etc. Its the detailing of what you do that makes it stand out, makes it sound good, and makes it yours.

Okkeus Dainlei Okkeus Dainlei

When it comes to roleplaying on Chaos, there's the technical side and then there is the fun aesthetic side. With the new site update, things like posting templates allow you to really personalize and make your character's posts unique and fun to look at (although I just may be biased because I love pretty things).

For starters, I like to generally colorize spoken text to make it stand out more and to highlight different characters. Each one of my characters has a different color that, in a way, is an emblem of their personality, traits, or backgrounds. For example, Kiff's speech would look like this: "How ya doing?" Colorizing text is pretty simple, and it's a popular fashion on Chaos. Another thing to keep in mind when writing posts is to choose a font that you think best. A lot of people go for Courier New, Georgia, Times New Roman, or Tahoma, but there are multiple fonts out there! Choose whatever you like and whatever you think fits best.

More complicated are posting templates. You can take the time to learn the BBCode and get the hang of making your own, but there is also a ton of artists (including me :D ) who would be happy to accept a commission to make any character a posting template.

The most important thing about aesthetics to remember is, it's all about you. Your aesthetic in posting should reflect what you think looks best, and don't let anyone try to force anything on you. Do whatever you want to make your post look pretty because at the end of the day it's all about having a fun day roleplaying Star Wars!

I have to say I'm highly impressed by your proactivity. I love how you reach out and make your own stories-- you don't wait for a faction to supply it for you.

A slight tip on how to get more of a response to your threads is to actually work a bit more within the faction you're launching it for (if its a faction thread like above). Faction owners can do a lot to help you attract people to your story, and we're really eager and excited to have writers of your quality and initiative.

I wouldn't stress over your person switch, or even templates/ text coding/ etc-- I don't use them myself and I'm doing just fine! You'll get there!

Great stuff so far. I'd say network a little. I think more people deserve to see how great you are to write with.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom